• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Game Pass will release on PlayStation and if yes, when?

Will Game Pass come to Sony's platform?

• Total voters

Sethbacca

No. Sony wouldn’t allow it and Microsoft wouldn’t even want it (as long as they continue selling consoles).
I mean, EA Play and Ubisoft Plus are both on the platform, so I wouldn't think Sony is a hard no. I think there would be some caveats though, like ONLY MS 1st party games that are not otherwise available on the console and no 3rd party games that are on gamepass that people could buy in Sony's ecosystem. So basically like an MS only gamepass tier for non Xbox consoles.

TrebleShot

No they offered it to Sony before they got Activision and were slapped back.
Sony does not want another sub service competing with their own.

EA Play and Ubi + are dumbed down shit versions.

King Dazzar

I could see a restricted/specific platform version, where by it only allows access to first party Xbox games. Something like EA Play and Ubisoft+. Nothing beyond that though.

Bond007

As long as Xbox sells consoles- there is no Gamepass on PS5. The PS5 wont be used a funnel to potentially sell Xboxes- atleast how i see it from Sonys perspective. This would also devalue Xbox's on the Microsoft front, but i dont think keeping value there is their highest priority any longer.

Its coming. Its coming about at the speed that Microsoft goes 3rd party - gradually.
It will be a great way to pick up their first party titles without buying them. I really dont care to know how Microsoft figures that out if they are taking loses- but it will be far less without the overhead of putting out a console with it.

Last edited:

sainraja

Only Sony and Microsoft can answer that. We know Microsoft would like for it to be on it given their new strategy. Sony does allow EA Play and Ubisoft+ so it's not like they should be completely against it, as long as they both can reach a favorable deal... time will tell.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So long as MS is operating on Playstation just as a publisher, I cannot see how Sony could refuse. Essentially their offer would be the same as EA's and they'd (Sony) take their cut from sub payments just the same.

One sticking point; I suspect that for this to happen Xbox as a brand would probably need to go away (at least in the short term) in order to prevent brand confusion. Replacing it with Microsoft Gaming or whatever would clear that though.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

They will ultimately want it on both Sony and Nintendo systems, but both will say no.

Microsoft will then go to regulators and complain about "walled gardens" on consoles to try and get their way.

That's how I see all of this unfolding.
I don't see it playing out that way once they see 200-300% more games sales per title on PlayStation with them able to scale back on marketing spend too. The end of Xbox as a competitor to PlayStation consoles is going to make Microsoft a lot of profit, to the extent I can see them wanting to help Sony become a much bigger value company to be a proxy to reach the market size Microsoft wanted to reach but never had the talent or vision to execute.

We've seen how Microsoft staking Nvidia has worked out for both and I can see Gamepass get withdrawn by Microsoft in the next 12months because of how much money extra they can make through PlayStation with their game sales and losses of running the service, and Microsoft eventually wanting to stake Sony's growth and acquisition plans to ride the coat tails of that growth knowing it is easier to back a winner than be a winner in areas you don't have the same experience of success in.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Need PS5 versions of games first.

So....after damn near all Xbox exclusive games get a PS5 version.

jroc74

Here's the thing: MS wants that $70 purchase too.

Do anyone really think MS can have their cake and eat it too by having Game Pass on platforms that buy more games?

Sales splits for games usually favor PlayStation compared to MS.

They would be risking alot by having Game Pass with big budget day one games on PlayStation.

Kacho

Gold Member
Obviously not because Sony doesn't want it on their platform. Microsoft tried to get Game Pass on PlayStation and they got rejected. It has nothing to do with keeping Xbox customers happy.

I thought if they become a publisher only than yes. Now? No I don’t think so. After seeing the habit changes of xbox users because of gamepass I doubt Sony wants that to happen in their ecosystem.

MS would need to get out of console hardware completely and offer a version of GamePass with only their first party games. Once that happens then yes, I could see Sony allowing it just like similar services.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
After the recent announcement of Indy for the PlayStation 5 everyone knows it's just a matter of time for all future Microsoft titles to release on every current system sooner or later (of course not on Nintendo).

But Microsoft is still hesitant to release the GP on its former competitor's system. Do you reckon that we will see the Game Pass on the Sony system in the near future? Maybe with a special tier which will only let you stream the games on the system first and after that with a full-fledged tier which will let you install the former Xbox exclusives and new games after they've been successfully ported to PlayStation systems.

It would make sense for them from a revenue perspective. Their console sales are already plummeting and with more and more Microsoft published games coming to all platforms this seems like the next logical move.

Game Pass not being on other consoles has nothing to do with Microsoft being hesitant and everything to do with Sony and Nintendo not wanting Game Pass on their systems.

Last edited:

jroc74

Game Pass not being on other consoles has nothing to do with Microsoft being hesitant and everything to do with Sony and Nintendo not wanting Game Pass on their systems.
Maybe because in its current form Sony and Nintendo dont want their eco system imploding with users waiting for games to launch on Game Pass?

I highly doubt Sony are gonna allow a service on their platform that offers something they don't. Possible, maybe. I just doubt it.

Hell, where is EA Play Pro on Xbox? No one really thought to ask that, did they?

Last edited:

Codes 208

Wheres the “no, because sony wont let them” option? It took how many years just to let them use xbox accounts for cross play games like minecraft
No, we don't want to be conditioned to rent games and not buy them.
technically sony started doing that first with ps+ back in the ps3 days

And i do consider that renting since you lose access to those games when you let your subscription end

I think it makes more sense for MS to sell their games to the PS5 userbase than add them to the subscription pool. Otherwise you're just training PS5 gamers to do the same thing as your Xbox userbase( not buy games).

yurinka

Not soon.

Maybe several years after MS stops producing Xbox consoles and they are then seen as a 3rd party like EA or Ubisoft (so GP would be seen as EA Play or Ubisoft+).

Last edited:

Mownoc

Depends what Sony will/won't allow on the platform. They do allow EA Play and Ubisoft+ Classics on the platform but that's only older titles and full Ubisoft+ hasn't come.

It was announced in May 2022 as coming to both Xbox and PS5 but only Xbox has gotten it, so I'm wondering if they hit a roadblock with Sony telling them no, and only allowing Ubisoft Classics sub on instead.

So it's possible something like Gamepass Core/Standard could come, with MS published titles only and no day-one, but more than that...

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Maybe because in its current form Sony and Nintendo dont want their eco system imploding with users waiting for games to launch on Game Pass?

I highly doubt Sony are gonna allow a service on their platform that offers something they don't. Possible, maybe. I just doubt it.

Hell, where is EA Play Pro on Xbox? No one really thought to ask that, did they?

Oh yeah I 100% agree. It makes no business sense for Nintendo or Sony to allow Game Pass on their consoles. It'd cannibalize their third party sales.

Humdinger

No, but it's not because of Xbox player dignity. It's because putting GP on Playstation would be a direct competitor to their own service. And secondly, that it could risk doing to PS what it did to Xbox - i.e., condition people not to buy games. In both instances, that means sending revenue to MS rather than to Sony. That would be dumb.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

No, Gamepass is a cancer and one of the reasons Xbox is dying, it was a unsustainable "domination" of market move by the only company rich (dumb) enouth to make it... I expect them to increase prices ever so often that the service becomes irrelevant and they cancel it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
I don't see what Sony would have to gain from allowing it, unless MS gives them a really good deal with a really generous revenue split.
Gamepass on Ps5/6 would just give people a reason to buy fewer games on Playstation on top of introducing a direct competitor to their own subscription service

I voted yes, because I think that Sony refused Gamepass with Day one games, but told them that they could accept a version like what EA and Ubisoft have. Probably next gen at the earliest, and I think that Microsoft will first try to have Gamepass on mobiles.

Del_X

Of course. Microsoft will simply leave the console business and sue Sony over being a gatekeeper in the EU.

tmlDan

No, Sony won’t allow it. Why would they when they make bank on PS plus. This is a pointless thread tbh.

Mahavastu

I selected "Yes, in the far future"
For this to happen, first Microsoft has to leave the console business, which I expect to happen next gen as the earliest.
Second it would be ONLY games published by Microsoft, so it would be similar to the EA and (I guess) the Ubisoft subscription, which are allowed on Playstation.

S0ULZB0URNE

They will ultimately want it on both Sony and Nintendo systems, but both will say no.

Microsoft will then go to regulators and complain about "walled gardens" on consoles to try and get their way.

That's how I see all of this unfolding.
I bet they have tried already.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Yes, I can see a version of GamePass hitting PS with a few caveats

• You'll still need PS+ in order to use it
  • It won't be a version of GamePass with any games from other publishers
So similar to EA Play.

Pricing is what is going to be interesting, especially since Microsoft is slow to pivot.

laynelane

No, not yet, but it's why they were watching the Epic vs Apple case so closely.

Didn't they side with Epic, as in supported them in their court proceedings with input of their own? That set off a warning bell for me then. I agree with your thought that they'll eventually try to force their way onto Sony and Nintendo's platforms - whether through a store of their own, Game Pass, etc. MS has, after all, always been quite serious about eliminating competition in any way they can.

Reactions: GHG

SonGoku

Unless Sony can take 50% revenue from GP I dont see them gifting their platform to MS in a platter to sell their games

Top Bottom