• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
i just died about 20 times in Platform Panic. Finallly beat it. God damn I love this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So apparently my review copy has no embargo. Odd.

The artwork in the image gallery is gorgeous, nobody has rip them? In particular the rail track in the volcano and DK swinging through the pirate ships.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I hope Retro has included at least some kind of reward for getting shiny gold on all stages. afaik no one has done it yet so we don't know, but they should've put something in for that kind of dedication...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Creamium said:
I hope Retro has included at least some kind of reward for getting shiny gold on all stages. afaik no one has done it yet so we don't know, but they should've put something in for that kind of dedication...

Is that when you
beat mirror mode
?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
EatChildren said:
Is that when you
beat mirror mode
?

no, you get a bunch of art for that it seems, and 200% on your counter. Shiny gold medals are the hidden top medals in time attack.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Creamium said:

CC and Gamecube pad support unlocked - believe!

Creamium said:
no, you get a bunch of art for that it seems, and 200% on your counter. Shiny gold medals are the hidden top medals in time attack.
Huh? What shiny medal?
Edit: Those fucking fire bats in 6-K, jesus.

I'm a huge DKC fan. First two games are top 10 all-time for me.

Beat the first 2 worlds of DKCR and I love it. It recaptures everything I loved about those older games with even better level design and tougher difficulty. Combine that with beautiful graphics, good music (not as good I hoped - 'aquatic ambience' is kind of butchered) and sweet replayability. My only complaint is the shake to roll shit. That is just annoying to me. Anyways, off to play more.

Neiteio

Sgt.Pepper said:
The artwork in the image gallery is gorgeous, nobody has rip them? In particular the rail track in the volcano and DK swinging through the pirate ships.
I agree with Sgt. Pepper and would also like to see rips of the images in the Image Gallery. Maybe nobody at GAF has the technical know-how or the appropriate software to pull this off, though (I know I don't).

JoeFenix

Sgt.Pepper said:
Huh? What shiny medal?
Edit: Those fucking fire bats in 6-K, jesus.

Shiny Medals are hidden time requirement medals for every level, they are usualy much stricter than the gold time.

I got world 1-3 nearly shiny'd out and I know world 4 is going to be easy since it's pretty much all mine cart and rocket stages.

epmode

Anony said:
can someone make this:
a = 2
b = 1
y = waggle
on the original cc
This should do it:

C24A3FC0 00000020
38210050 7C0802A6
80B50060 48000041
80950000 7CA52378
90B50000 80B50064
4800002D 80950004
7CA52378 90B50004
80B50068 48000019
80950008 7CA52378
90B50008 7C0803A6
4E800020 70A40020
2C040000 4182000C
38C0012D B0D50186
38C00000 70A40800
2C040000 41820008
60C68000 70A40040
2C040000 41820008
60C60200 70A40010
2C040000 41820008
60C60100 70A40001
2C040000 41820008
60C60002 70A40002
2C040000 41820008
60C60008 70A48000
2C040000 41820008
60C60004 70A44000
2C040000 41820008
60C60001 70A40400
2C040000 41820008
60C60010 70A41000
2C040000 41820008
60C61000 7CC53378
60000000 00000000
04387CF0 38A00000
0438526C 28000009

For anyone trying to make their own config, there are three imporant lines. The line starting with 4E800020 is for waggle, the line starting with 60C68000 is for button 1 and the line starting with 60C60200 is for button 2.

The second portion of each of those lines is the hex code for the classic controller mapping. I know the following codes from looking at the forum I linked earlier:

R = 70A40200
Y = 70A40020
B = 70A40040
A = 70A40010

(if you get that message about an unsupported controller, please see my original post for editing the code to correct the problem)

JoeFenix said:
Shiny Medals are hidden time requirement medals for every level, they are usualy much stricter than the gold time.

I got world 1-3 nearly shiny'd out and I know world 4 is going to be easy since it's pretty much all mine cart and rocket stages.
Wow. I've gotten gold in all the levels in the first world; no shiny so far.

I hate those fireballs in 8-2, I need those KONG letter goddammit!

DR2K said:
Honestly it's just one big die and try again, memory game, there's absolutely no skill involved in a lot of these levels.

The difficulty comes in with DK's obscenely large hit-box and shitty jump. The further I get into it, the more apparent the flaws are. Half the time I felt like I was fighting the controls and my own muscle memory. This isn't good design, and this isn't the return I was expecting from DKC. Certain parts I feel like I'm playing Sonic 2006, certain parts feel like DKC, certain parts feel like Mario. Overall I'm pretty disappointed.

Wow i missed that comment the first time. You are using the main complaints leveled against the old DK games to show how much worse DKCR is compared to them.

If i just read your post in some random thread i would of assumed it was about the old DKC games.

Only played 4 levels, it's a lot of fun, but WTF why is roll not mapped to the A button?

Also no only Diddy play is dumb. I do not support that decision. Sequel hopefully.

KevinCow

Banned
Balb said:
No, I recently re-installed homebrew on my Wii (which had the latest firmware installed), and it only took a few minutes (as long as you have a copy of SSBB and an SD card).

So how do I do it? Do you have a link to a place that explains it in detail?

Stormwatch said:
Ok, 8-2 Hot Rocket is going to drive me insane. I have a sudden urge to throw my controller across the room ;)

That's my least favorite level in the game. Only one I don't have KONG on yet.

grkazan12

Does the ocarina hack to use CC for this game work in any of the USB Loaders (just backed up my copy) or does it only work in Gecko OS???

jett

D-Member
*looks at shiny medal time trial runs on youtube*

Well that looks almost impossible to do with the wiimote, funny that. :p

Penguin

Just a question after beating the game

I went to the Golden Temple, but it tells me I need 8 hidden orbs, does the game give you any hint as to where those orbs are or is it just like a goose chase? I haven't continued the game after beating it so curious.

The M.O.B

Penguin said:
Just a question after beating the game

I went to the Golden Temple, but it tells me I need 8 hidden orbs, does the game give you any hint as to where those orbs are or is it just like a goose chase? I haven't continued the game after beating it so curious.

Collect all the Jigsaw pieces and Kong letters in a world, and then Beat the K stage. You get an Orb.

KevinCow

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Collect all the Jigsaw pieces and Kong letters in a world, and then Beat the K stage. You get an Orb.

You don't even need to get the jiggies. They just unlock artwork. Just get all the KONGs and beat the K level.

AniHawk

Toys R Us has a good deal this week... buy DKCR or Epic Mickey and get 50% off any Wii game. Sonic Colors for $25 wouldn't be too bad of a gamble.

Neiteio said:
I agree with Sgt. Pepper and would also like to see rips of the images in the Image Gallery. Maybe nobody at GAF has the technical know-how or the appropriate software to pull this off, though (I know I don't).

Maybe someone playing on Dolphin could just take screenshots of them?

jett

D-Member
The M.O.B said:

You don't need the jigsaw pieces, just the KONG letters.

kinggroin

Banned
Finished.

Opinions and all that, but I cant understand anyone of the mindset that the level design isn't masterful. So many moments that caused an involuntary smile at the sheer genius of the platforming layout in most levels. It felt more like a rhythm game at times; the flow.

Remember that one mine cart level where the track is destroyed and then turned into a sorta hamster wheel, and THAT becomes your new track?

I really hope Nintendo lets Retro off the leash to create an original property.

edit: To add; not one single death, not one at all, was related to motion control jankery. Every single time I died, it could have been avoided with me being more careful, or patient.

Just wondering how good this game is compared to the old Donkey Kong's (from gameboy era)? I don't actually have a Wii but am slowly been tempted to buy one to try out this and a few other games on the Wii such as SMG.

AniHawk

droppedbear said:
Just wondering how good this game is compared to the old Donkey Kong's (from gameboy era)? I don't actually have a Wii but am slowly been tempted to buy one to try out this and a few other games on the Wii such as SMG.

There's enough good platformers on the system to entertain you for at least a couple of hours.

EatChildren

droppedbear said:

Do you like platformers? If yes, buy a Wii.

Anybody into platformers who doesn't own a Wii is denying themselves a vast majority generation's best.

AniHawk

Sgt.Pepper said:
Hey Anihawk, have you updated the "Current Gun Guide Platformers" thread yet? I liked that thread.

I haven't updated it since... before Kirby/Super Meat Boy. I meant to do it again after Epic Mickey because there were a lot coming out at the time and I wanted to wait for review averages to settle a little.

DR2K

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
Wow i missed that comment the first time. You are using the main complaints leveled against the old DK games to show how much worse DKCR is compared to them.

If i just read your post in some random thread i would of assumed it was about the old DKC games.

If it's to the point where I noticed it, so it's definitely not as pronounced in DKC2 or 3.

Platy

Ok .. found something on this game that i don't liked .... the fact that when you die it don't reset the time attack's timer =P

jett

D-Member
Platy said:
Ok .. found something on this game that i don't liked .... the fact that when you die it don't reset the time attack's timer =P

Yeah that's pretty annoying when you have to manually restart 20 times.

Blizzard

Banned
Platy said:
I think Mirror's Edge did that too. You'd respawn at a check point and have to manually restart the entire match. I don't know if the DKCR time attacks have checkpoints though. I could see it making a bit of sense in Mirror's Edge at least.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Blizzard said:
I think Mirror's Edge did that too. You'd respawn at a check point and have to manually restart the entire match. I don't know if the DKCR time attacks have checkpoints though. I could see it making a bit of sense in Mirror's Edge at least.
There are checkpoints.

Platy said:
This is probably my least favorite thing about this game. Pretty much turned me off completely from time trials.

Green Mamba said:
This is probably my least favorite thing about this game. Pretty much turned me off completely from time trials.
Not really game breaking since Time Trials are challenging and fun, but it's annoying sure.

Top Bottom