• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat Appreciation: Bongos Vs. New Play Control

NR1

Topic_Title_card.jpg

At E3 2004, Nintendo made a huge splash with gamers and the media that would resonate for the next decade. E3 2004 marked the introduction of “Ass-Kicking and Name-Taking” Reggie Fils-Aime, the unveil of the original DS, the unforgettable crowd reaction to the Twilight Princess trailer, and the first trailers to several major GameCube titles (Star Fox Assault, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Pikmin 2, Four Swords Adventures, and MANY others). In retrospective, it really is amazing how much quality software and hardware Nintendo brought to the table that year. But one title that was unveiled that day went surprising low under the radar: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. It was the second title to make use of the bongo controller (one of the eventual four total games), and people really didn’t know what to make of it at first. Surprisingly, the game only showed up for a brief 8 seconds in a video montage between Four Swords Adventures and Advance Wars: Under Fire (later known as Battalion Wars) in the middle of Nintendo’s press conference.

IGN E3 2004 Coverage said:
We weren't prepared for this, we really weren't. When Nintendo on Tuesday unveiled Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, the second GameCube title to make use of the company's DK Bongo controller set, we figured it for a gimmick. After all, we've been playing the Japanese import of Donkey Konga for months and it's just a simple rhythm game, drums or no drums. But we couldn't be happier to report that not only is the DKJB not gimmicky -- it's downright amazing. Which is why it's already topping our list for one of Nintendo's best GameCube titles of the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2004.

On paper DK Jungle Beat reads like a bad idea gone haywire. The premise is all too simple. You control Donkey Kong through a series of tropical and prehistoric themed environments. You must make the big ape run left and right, jump over barrels and up walls, swing on trees, collect bananas, square off in ferocious up-close boxing matches with other beasts, and even ride atop animals and vehicles. The catch, of course, is that you don't use a GameCube controller to do all of this. You bang on some Bongos. We know -- it can never work. There are too many control mechanics to consider. And yet, it does work; in fact, the end play experience is nothing short of outstanding…

…The one predictable outcome that surrounded everybody who played DKJB is that they didn't want to stop playing it. Indeed, we have already gone back to the game numerous times to sample it again. And every so often an editor walks into our E3 writing room and says, "Hey, did anybody check out Donkey Kong Jungle Beat? I just played it and it's awesome!"

All of a sudden we cannot wait for the DK Bongos to arrive in the US. The wait for Jungle Beat, though, is going to seem like an eternity. According to Nintendo, the two-player-ready Bongo game is not set for release in the US until early 2005.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/05/12/e3-2004-dk-jungle-beat

That pretty much sums up DKJB. Such a simple idea, but fleshed out into a groundbreaking game. The game was created by Yoshiaki Koizumi and Takao Shimizu at EAD Tokyo- the studio’s first title. Koizumi would go on to direct Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. Much of DKJB’s DNA is clearly visible in Galaxy.

IGN 06/14/04 said:
In the interview, the two creators reveal a bit of the history behind Jungle Beat. Shimizu comments, "While we were still at the Kyoto home office, Shigeru Miyamoto suggested that we make a game based off of Donkey Kong. Full development on the game began after we moved from Kyoto to Tokyo last July."

The actual idea of using the conga controllers for an action game came after the two, at Miyamoto's request, attended a meeting involving the controller. At the meeting, Nintendo shared with its developers the control system for Donkey Konga and allowed all to get their hands on the conga peripheral. Says Shimizu, "We took delivery of a sample version of the conga controller and after seeing that, Mr. Koizumi offered the idea [for the game]."

Koizumi, after revealing that he'd previously worked on character control and camera systems in previous titles, states "I'd been hearing from many people that recently control [in games] is difficult, and that's when I first had the desire to make a game that was simple and easy to understand. Until now, I've only made games that make use of a standard controller, so I wanted to at last make something that had a different form of input. It was then that I was introduced to the Donkey Konga conga controller."

Koizumi reveals that his team had some difficulties in making an action game using the conga controller. "You can't perform the same kind of moves with a conga controller that you can with a regular controller, so we had to think up some new mechanics."

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/06/14/donkey-kong-jungle-beat-info

GC_Jungle_Beat_facts.jpg

So, I guess this brings me to the point of this topic. Jungle Beat has got to be one of my favorite games released on the GCN and perhaps the last decade on any platform. The GameCube release failed to find a large audience, so Nintendo decided to give the game a second chance at life on the Wii as part of their “New Play Control!” line. The game featured several change from its original GCN counterpart, but the most significant has to be the exclusion of bongo support in favor of Wii Remote & Nunchuk controls only. Which version of the game do you prefer? In my eyes, the only true way to play Jungle Beat is with the bongos. Period. Any other way just seems… “wrong.” Part of the whole appeal of DKJB is the bongo controls. It just makes the game all the more fun and entertaining! The Wii version just can’t replicate the bright red sore hands that the GCN version inflicts on all its players. Man, can those bongos jack your hands up if you play it for more than 30 minutes at a time. My god, its worth it though!

Jungle_beat_wii_facts.jpg

For those of you that missed out on this hidden gem, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy—preferably the GameCube version, IMO. Its funny, you can grab the GCN version off Amazon for as low as $10 without the bongos and $30 with the bongos. GameStop has it listed on their website for $4.99 and the bongos for $1.99 (if you can find it)!

A few years ago, I picked up a used copy of the game and a set of brand new bongos for my buddy and his stepson for Christmas to play on their Wii ($10 total). I had checked GameStop’s website first to see if they had any available, and I was really surprised that they still has a new set of bongos in stock at my local store (keep in mind, that this is in December 2010—4 years after the Wii was released and 6 years after Donkey Konga was released on Cube). When I went into the store and asked if they still had the new bongos in stock, they guy behind the counter turned to his co-worker and said, “It finally happened! This guy is buying the bongos! I never thought I would see the day!” Next thing I know, he is coming out of the stockroom with a boxed bongo controller covered in dust. LOL!

Similarly, I remember a time before Circuit City went bankrupt and seeing an entire end cap of DKJB w/ Bongos boxes waiting to be purchased for only $17.99!!! I remember just being so amazed that people would just past by the display without at least stopping to look and consider purchasing such an amazing game/ bongo set at a criminally low price! This had to have been sometime around 2006 or 2007… I bought the game for the full $59.99 (w/ Bongos Set) on release day. To this day, I still feel that was more than a fair price for such an awesome and fun game.

When Nintendo announce Donkey Kong Country Returns, it was a mixed blessing for me. While I enjoyed the SNES games, I knew that I would never see a sequel to DKJB. I guess I kind of already knew it wasn’t going to happen after they released the New Play Control version in 2008 without bongo support, but this kind of confirmed it. I seems odd that they wouldn’t have allowed for bongo support on the Wii version as an option given that we know Wii games are capable of using GCN controllers (Brawl, Goldeneye 007) as a control option.

Anyone else got some great stories to share? Do you think the game had a big impact on Nintendo’s way of thinking moving forward with the Wii and Wii U by being more adventurous and exploring more unique and unconventional control systems?

Linkhero1

This game was better than DKCR. Probably one of the better GC games I've played. I picked it up for $10 with bongos at GS when they were clearing a lot of their gamecube games.

eternalb

This game was better than DKCR. Probably one of the better GC games I've played. I picked it up for $10 with bongos at GS when they were clearing a lot of their gamecube games.

It was good; it was not better than DKCR. At least the latter didn't cause pain after a few levels.

Revven

I played it with the Gamecube controller, at the time I couldn't wrap my head around using the bongos. Game was fun even with the GCN controller, though.

I had no idea the Wii version brought some significant changes to the game; I thought all it did was allow you to play it with the Wiimote + Nunchuk like the other New Play Control titles.

eXistor

I tried it at release (GC version) but it didn't grab me at all. I rebought the game recently for a few bucks, so I'm gonna try it again some day. I just keep hearing great things about it.

Bongos were definitely the way to go, I could never get into NPC because the claps were directional, making an already frantic game a lot more challenging. I remember my hands aching from trying to get high scores and not lose bananas to the bosses.

Crub

Beat the game on Gamecube.

Will give a the Wii version ago sometime, as it seems like they made some pretty significant changes. I lack rhythm and the bongo controls of the original just frustrated me.

I read somewhere the game was initially supposed to be a regular platformer, so it's possible the Wii version lies closer to the original vision.

Lunar15

I really loved this game. It's a hidden gem, and proved to me that Mario was in good hands at Tokyo EAD.

I haven't played the New Play Control, but I can't see playing this without the fun quirkiness of being able to play it with friggin bongos.

RobbieNick

Bongos all the way. One of my favorite donkey Kong games. I loved how visceral the game was. However, I could only play one area at a time as it would absolutely kill my arms afterwards.

schlew

It doesn't help or add to your argument, but I really can't decide. They're both great games, I love them both the same. Is there something to the bongos that feels so natural? Absolutely. But my life is different now, I don't have time to slap bongos, my kids might be asleep upstairs. In that case, the New Play Control method is a terrific option. It plays very differently, but doesn't detract from the game at all.

Just play it however you can get it.

This is an appreciation thread I can get behind.
The core mechanic of Jungle Beat's platforming is more so its use of combos chains than its bongo control scheme, this is absolutely worth exploring more within the genre.
That recent NSMBU thread citing the various levels of depth with the Super Play videos shows a pretty extreme take on things, not one that many of us will be capable of replicating, Jungle Beat can't do as much as that but it does share a similar level of change depending on how you play it. At its most basic you just get from the start to the finish which is likely how most first playthroughs end up with less of an emphasis on high scores, the other way to play it is of course going for those high scores and this can completely change the way the game flows, with the combo mechanic linked to point scoring you start discovering just how well structured a lot of these stages are to keep chains going, allowing you to increase the combo counter without touching the floor and nabbing more bananas.
The little videos you see after beating a stage were a great way to keep me coming back as they'd show a small snippet that could be easily missed even when actively aiming for high scores or a smart way of pulling off another combo technique.

Jungle Beat is a different type of platformer to the rest of its series, it isn't a display of various stage gimmicks like the Country games, it's not a puzzler like the more Mario geared DK94 and it sure as hell ain't a collectathon like DK64. I guess you'd call it a score focused platformer, the goal isn't so much reaching the finish, it's reaching the finish in style, as such you could draw some parallels to some action titles.

Jungle Beat also has practically nothing in common with other DK games, aside from the ape himself and some barrel cannon reskins in the NPC version it shares a lot more in common with Nintendo's future Super Mario Galaxy titles. It's pretty neat seeing the origins of some of the SMG games ideas, from twirling up giant flower stems. swimming through blocks of liquid (in this case jelly) in the sky and even the way DK can slide off the tip of a wall made the jump to the SMG games. Both the visual and music style also come off kind of like SMG, I think Mahito Yokata worked on this soundtrack as well, while there was no instant classics in the soundtrack there were some nice tunes across the board.
Now at first the lack of anything DKC related was a bit of a downer but at this point that doesn't really matter, the game stands well on its own merits, its own brand of craziness not limited to weird chicken plants, tumbling puffer fish and ballerina style pandas is certainly memorable. They did also carry over the animal buddy concept with new beasts, Rambi is pretty awesome but Hoofer comes close.

Jungle Beat also has some of my favourite bosses in any platformer, while they do repeat the cycle of boss types these scuffles tend to be immensely satisfying, Jungle Beat actually looks to make DK seem like a formidable ape that will pound the hell out of his opponents with brute force, instead of say walking into a beaver and sprinting away with piss running down his legs. Punch Out like battles with the evil Kongs are the highlights, Ninja Kong especially.

Bongo vs New Play Control is actually a pretty tricky question for me, there's a unique feel to playing with the bongos, it shouldn't work yet it does and can be very fun, especially when you mash the bongos for DK to rapidly punch boars into banana mush. But such a control scheme is a bit awkward for more precise movements, at times the wii remote set up works a lot better for building up a combo, it helps that the backflip is much easier to pull off in particular. Clapping changes quite a bit across versions, the GC game giving a screen filling shockwave to reliably stun enemies while the more controllable NPC version limits its range and requires control stick direction as well as changing the grab mechanic. Throw in a change to the health system, more obstacles and a few extras and the NPC version is in fact quite a significant overhaul, better in ways and worse in others.
As such i'm not really sure what I prefer, there's merit to the bongo style as that's how it was originally designed, it's a shame that my bongos seem to be unresponsive these days and it hampers my enjoyment so typically I stick to NPC now.

I wish there was more to Jungle Beat, it's over all to soon, it gets more mileage out of those bongos than I think any of us would ever dreamed and delivered something truly different in the process, it's absolutely one of my favourite GC games, i'm talking top 5 material, i'll always be a little bit Country but i've got time for some jungle beat as well, I can't imagine the bongo concept will ever return but that combo focus needs to be scooped up.
There's plenty of platformers that grade the player and/or focus on chaining character moves together, why not really run with it and bring back the combo counter.

One last note: Best plot ever, DK beats up other apes and beasts to be King of the Jungle just because, it's art!

KNT-Zero

Bongos FTW! I got the GC one after having a blast with Donkey Konga, and it blew me away...
I wish Nintendo would do more original games like these, instead of relying too much on waggles and shit. Hopefully the Wii U might give some more substance to the Gamepad use on its games.

Broach

Banned
I'm thinking this game get's a bit overpraised here...(over DKCR seriously?!)

Overall it was pretty fun but not amazing, nothing above 8/10 material. It's just a fun romp.

OnPoint

The bongos were what made it enjoyable to me. My hands only hurt the first time I played. After that I learned how hard to hit and what part of my hand to hit with to prevent pain. The game might still be good with controllers, but to me, the drums were WHY I enjoyed doing what I did.

I know I'm in the minority, but I vastly prefer the NPC version. Less gimmicky, more challenging, error free inputs made the experience better and more fun. Played in 16:9 and via WiiU is graphically impressive. DK's design and animation in this game are truly one of the best thing in any videogame ever, and I'm not exaggerating.

DKJB + DK94 >>>>> all Rare and Retro DKs combined.

SupaNaab

Bought this game on GCN with the bongos before Guitar Hero got really big. Had some friends over and they liked it. One of the girls particularly liked it. Throughout highschool she would use this as an excuse to come to my house and play vidya. ThankyoubasedNintendo.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Never played the New Play Control version, but the GC one with the bongos was way too much fun. That's really the best way to describe it, it's just pure fun. Loved every minute of it. Got all the platinum medals too, which isn't something I always do. How good was beating on the bosses by pounding the bongos, or riding the ram?

Azure J

This is my dark horse pick for best Donkey Kong game right here. The combo system + the fluidity of motion is just too fucking good. More platformers/twitch type games need a scoring and combo system like this title had.

SmithnCo

Gotta be bongos for me. More tactile, and crazier with the sound. I enjoyed the Donkey Konga games for what they were, as well.

If you play the Gamecube version, yes. I don't believe they work with the Wii version though.

Going by this thread they work in GameCube mode on Wii but they aren't supported on the NPC version.

They do, but the Wii version is bongo incompatible. You need the GC version

I'm not talking about Wii version, but when I last saw the Bongos, I recall the thing you put into the controller port was big so I was curious if you could actually plug it into Wii. Thanks though, will certainly look into getting this game again.

I've got the Wii version, which works pretty well. I don't think I'd want to bother with the bongos. They look pretty cumbersome to use. :s

rjc571

Banned
The bongos were an interesting idea but they really didn't work that well in practice. Wiimote + Nunchuk all the way.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Bongos version is the best game.

And I'm not referring only to which is the best between these two versions.

More games need to have the balls to lock players from progressing if they're playing the game like a putz, turn 'em around, and say "now go back and do it right." New Super Mario Bros. 2 in particular would have been a quadrillion times better if it had the medal ranking system of DKJB, grading on coin-collecting prowess and eventually locking players from progressing if they were just derping through levels without paying any attention to exploiting the thoughtful coin placement.

Azar

The way the rhythm mechanic worked with the combo system was seriously brilliant. Jungle Beat is easily one of the best designed platformers ever made. I got decent at it, but my roommate in college played enough to be able to get through most of the stages without touching the ground. And that is a fucking art.

Clov

I've only played the Wii version, but honestly, Jungle Beat is one of the best DK platformers ever. While it's very different from the kind of platformer that Rare (or Retro) made, it has its own distinct atmosphere and style. Those boss fights were awesome! I loved seeing DK just pummel an enemy. It was a great start for EAD Tokyo, who have now become one of Nintendo's best internal development studios.

tsab

I'm not talking about Wii version, but when I last saw the Bongos, I recall the thing you put into the controller port was big so I was curious if you could actually plug it into Wii. Thanks though, will certainly look into getting this game again.

make sure you have a GC compatible Wii of course. The bongos use the GC controller port.

Morts

I only ever played the NPC version but I thought the game was great. Its been too long since I've played it to compare it to DKCR but it's well worth playing.

Hobohodo

Damm forgot all about this game, was brilliant fun though. Picked it up for cheap as I thought it was something so ridiculous that I had to try it and it turned out to be one of the Gamecube's most fun games.

Top Bottom