• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Konga - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/puzzle/donkeykonga/review.html

"If Donkey Konga's primary goal was to be a rhythm game that anyone could play, then it succeeded. The DK Bongos are nice and responsive, the action can be genuinely fun, and though some of the music choices are extremely weird, there is, in fact, a little something here for everyone. Whether the game will be right for you will depend on how much of that "everyone" you account for."

GameSpot is TEH SUXX0RS! No, seriously, scores aren't going to represent Donkey Konga well. It's a game that anyone can have fun with, just like the reviews say. And I'll be getting it for that reason.

Silkworm

I'm tempted to get the game, but I'm more intrigued by Jungle Beat. Oh well, hopefully bongos will be sold separately for a reasonable price somewhere down the line....

BuddyC

Jungle Beat is essentially a 2D platformer that uses the drums and turns into a psuedo-rhythm game if you're doing really, really well.

Konga, on the other hand, is a straight up rhythm game.

miyuru

Jungle Beat sounds way too cool. You control DK with the bongos, like drum them faster to run, hit both at the same time to jump or punch, something like that. It's all to that effect, sounds so fun!!

Vlad

N-Sider did a pretty good writeup of the E3 demo of Jungle Beat...
http://www.n-sider.com/specialview.php?specialid=1&page=2004/junglebeat

Question: Donkey Konga or Taiko Drum Master?

Edit: Whoops, meant Donkey Konga

I've been trying to decide between the two for a while. At first I was heavily leaning towards Taiko, but after asking some questions in this thread, I started to lean more towards Konga. Bobbyconover really swayed me towards Konga with this comment:

I also hate to say that the Taiko controller flat-out sucks compared to many other rhythm controllers. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me if their controller was broken right out of the box, simply because it misses every 20th note (or so) no matter how accurately you hit it. It's basically just a design flaw that can't be avoided, as far as I can tell. It's also made of a not-too-friendly firm plastic that makes a loud, unpleasant smacking sound every time you hit it. It's so loud that it drowns out the music being played and could very easily annoy your neighbors. That said, it's also one of the more affordable home rhythm controllers, and it gets the job done if nothing else. It's just painfully obvious that Namco put affordability over quality.

It's weird how I actually felt my excitement for Taiko just melt away after I read that. A rythm game really needs to have good control, and if the US Taiko controller suffers from the same problems, I don't see myself picking it up.

Superbone

Prospero said:
So is Donkey Konga in stores today, or is it shipping today?

In stores today. I got this weird pre-recorded message yesterday from Gamestop saying I could come in today to pick up my pre-order.

Tortfeasor

Superbone said:
In stores today. I got this weird pre-recorded message yesterday from Gamestop saying I could come in today to pick up my pre-order.

Me too... Very strange. Kinda creepy!

Prospero

Superbone said:

I just picked mine up at EB. On a whim, I thought I'd see if they had extra controllers--they had none that weren't already preordered. I hope those aren't too scarce.

Silkworm said:
I'm tempted to get the game, but I'm more intrigued by Jungle Beat. Oh well, hopefully bongos will be sold separately for a reasonable price somewhere down the line....

The bongos are already being sold separately for $30. Supplies might be limited, but Nintendo will probably release another batch when Jungle Beat is released.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Tortfeasor said:
Me too... Very strange. Kinda creepy!
Yeah they've been doing that for quite some time now. I guess they were receiving too many complaints of lazy employees not bothering to call their customers that a game was going to be received soon.

And here I am stuck without a car and Donkey Konga waiting for me at the local game store. :(

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Great Wasabi Man said:
Konga comes with the Bongos right?
Yes sir, it's priced at $50 and comes with one set of Bongos. I am not aware of any indication on Nintendo's part to sell Donkey Konga by itself at a reduced price.

belmakor

Vlad said:
Bobbyconover really swayed me towards Konga with this comment:...

Well, for what it's worth, I've had my Taiko controllers for over a year now, and they still don't skip any hits. They are loud, but I'm really not sure how to get away from that considering the nature of the game. You're going to be hitting something with sticks which is generally pretty loud. I've found the construction quality of the taiko and the bongos to be pretty much the same really.

Vlad

belmakor said:
Well, for what it's worth, I've had my Taiko controllers for over a year now, and they still don't skip any hits. They are loud, but I'm really not sure how to get away from that considering the nature of the game. You're going to be hitting something with sticks which is generally pretty loud. I've found the construction quality of the taiko and the bongos to be pretty much the same really.

What kind of material are the sticks and drums made out of? Is at least one of them a soft(er) kind of material? I got the impression from the other thread that they were both pretty rigid plastic, which caused the irritating noises.

Tortfeasor

Just picked up a copy of DK from my local gamestop. They only got 5 in, enough for reserves with none extra to sell, and ZERO extra bongos.

Flynn

BuddyChrist83 said:
Jungle Beat is essentially a 2D platformer that uses the drums and turns into a psuedo-rhythm game if you're doing really, really well.

Konga, on the other hand, is a straight up rhythm game.

Don't forget to mention Jungle Beat's awesome next-gen recreation of Punch Out.

In the boss battles, Donkey Kong boxes with an enemy, left bongo is a left punch, right bongo is a right punch. Hitting both dodges. A well timed dodge (one that barely avoids an enemy punch) results in the enemy reeling. That's when you pound him with a barage of blows by slapping the drums as fast as you can.

BuddyC

Flynn said:
Don't forget to mention Jungle Beat's awesome next-gen recreation of Punch Out.

In the boss battles, Donkey Kong boxes with an enemy, left bongo is a left punch, right bongo is a right punch. Hitting both dodges. A well timed dodge (one that barely avoids an enemy punch) results in the enemy reeling. That's when you pound him with a barage of blows by slapping the drums as fast as you can.
Is both dodge? I thought it was clap. That N-Sider article poster earlier in the thread says clap is dodge :)

Anyways, yea, Jungle Beat just flat out rocks. I've been checking Play-Asia almost every day since May to see if it's up for pre order yet, but no dice :(

I haven't read too many impressions of Donkey Konga yet. How's the difficulty? If I can handle level 10 songs on DDR and at least pass the hardest stages of Drum Mania, would DK offer a challenging experience? I'm compelled to buy this anyways for the simple fact that I can use the drums for Jungle Beat (Basically the game only ends up costing $20). If one has pretty much mastered other rhythm games, is this worth a purchase?

(btw, I can't handle level 10 songs or the hardest levels of Drum Mania...I'm just asking for reference)

BuddyC

Forgotten Ancient said:
I haven't read too many impressions of Donkey Konga yet. How's the difficulty? If I can handle level 10 songs on DDR and at least pass the hardest stages of Drum Mania, would DK offer a challenging experience? I'm compelled to buy this anyways for the simple fact that I can use the drums for Jungle Beat (Basically the game only ends up costing $20). If one has pretty much mastered other rhythm games, is this worth a purchase?

(btw, I can't handle level 10 songs or the hardest levels of Drum Mania...I'm just asking for reference)
If you're a rhythm master, then you'll breeze through Konga once you get the feel down (about 20/30 minutes of dedicated playtime). It's fun though.

Flynn

BuddyChrist83 said:
Is both dodge? I thought it was clap. That N-Sider article poster earlier in the thread says clap is dodge :)

Anyways, yea, Jungle Beat just flat out rocks. I've been checking Play-Asia almost every day since May to see if it's up for pre order yet, but no dice :(

I stand corrected. It was a clap.

belmakor

Vlad said:
What kind of material are the sticks and drums made out of? Is at least one of them a soft(er) kind of material? I got the impression from the other thread that they were both pretty rigid plastic, which caused the irritating noises.

The sticks are just solid plastic. The drums have kind of a rubbery plastic top, which would be like the drum skin. Underneathe that is the sensors, which is where the loud noise really comes from. Unlike the kongas, which have basically a button under them as sensors, the taiko is just two big solid sensors underneathe the 'skin'. And you have to whack them pretty good to get a hit registered.

Although, I find that's probably why I have more fun with Taiko. Something a lot more satisfying about just beating on something with sticks than tapping things with my hands and clapping. I'd probably recommend taiko over donkey konga, especially if you can import. All of the expansions already released in Japan at this point give it quite a bit more longevity if you can pick them up.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Time for the obligatory "pause the game and post impressions at GAF" section!

Good fun little game, best part about it is it's instantly accesible to the general public. I just played a game with my parents (both old and Spainard) so they are quite out of the videogame loop. The game is designed so easily that a simple explanation or merely watching someone play and the person will understand instantly. Of course their rythm sucks but I had great fun playing with them. The funny part is this game came with TWO manuals (technically three since one of them is French and English combined), they really simplified the shipping for this game it seems.

If viewed by their own, Taiko is the better product (I've played Taiko at a convention) but Donkey Konga is definitely no slouch and worth picking up if you're really into music games. While I might be picking up Taiko later in the year I decided on Konga for one simple reason: Jungle Beat. According to good friends it's one fantastic game and coupled with the fact that you get a pretty good music game now, makes it the better choice if you're short on cash or want something different.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Taiko in arcade > Donkey Konga > Taiko at home

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
RevenantKioku said:
Taiko in arcade > Donkey Konga > Taiko at home
I really wish I could say I agree, I played Taiko on the PS2 and had an utter blast with it. I can only imagine what the game would be like with quality dedicated hardware!

Belfast

I'm debating on whether I should pick this up, but I think I'll just save my money for Taiko. I'm a freak about picking up stuff like this when it hits the US, though. I want the Bongos even if I'd hardly ever use them. However, the Taiko drums would ultimately be better since I have access to the import versions of the game. Plus, I just think Taiko's the better game overall. I'm just a sucker for rhythm games and their peripherals. :(

ferricide

yeah, it seems that everyone who plays taiko in the arcade whines about the home version. whatever. the controller is way better than the DK one, and the drumsticks make it more fun. not to mention that clapping is just annoying IMO.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ferricide said:
the controller is way better than the DK one, and the drumsticks make it more fun. not to mention that clapping is just annoying IMO.
I wouldn't know about the controller being that much better. I did only play the import but if memory serves me correctly the quality is about even and the plastic felt quite similar. The clapping is a non-issue, you can just hit the side of the bongos (LIKE THE REAL PROS DO). Hell the clapping adds more if you have someone else in the room with you, even if you only own one set of bongos you can still have them join in by having them clap.

Belfast just pick up Taiko now and take a wait and see approach with DK when Jungle Beat hits stores later in the year. You already have invested in Taiko so continuing the investment it would be only natural instead of sidetracking yourself.

Meier

You can always just tap on the side to simulate the clap. Between the two, Taiko probably was the better game but I loved both and intend to buy both. On the down side, Taiko is 60 versus Konga's 50.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Belfast said:
I'm debating on whether I should pick this up, but I think I'll just save my money for Taiko. I'm a freak about picking up stuff like this when it hits the US, though. I want the Bongos even if I'd hardly ever use them. However, the Taiko drums would ultimately be better since I have access to the import versions of the game. Plus, I just think Taiko's the better game overall. I'm just a sucker for rhythm games and their peripherals. :(
Something to consider:

With the bongos, there's already one expantion released in Japan and two other games that will use them (Jungle Beat and Odama). You'll probably get more miles out of them.

edit: They should offer a bit more variety than just 5 "remixes" of the same game.

Belfast

JJConrad said:
Something to consider:

With the bongos, there's already one expantion released in Japan and two other games that will use them (Jungle Beat and Odama). You'll probably get more miles out of them.

Um, yeah, but there's already like 4 or 5 Taiko games in Japan that I already have access to, I just haven't had the time/money to order a drum. Hence, I've been waiting for the US release.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What issues would there be in importing the EUR version of this? I'm checking song lists, and I'm definitely ordering the JPN Konga 1+2 pack for $85, but the song lists from Europe are pretty swank too.
99 Luft Balloons!

Im torn between the two. I used to think Taiko was better until I played Konga. Now I like Konga. I like how you can get close hits and it still counts. I forget if Taiko had that.
Also the import Taiko I played had a hard plastic drum. The Kongas have a nicer spring to it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up Donkey Konga today.

My GF is paying for half, plus I want jungle beat sooo... wasn't too hard of a decision.
I might still get Taiko, but I am going to hold off for a bit. Are there any third party taiko drums that are bigger/better?

BuddyC

scola said:
Picked up Donkey Konga today.

My GF is paying for half, plus I want jungle beat sooo... wasn't too hard of a decision.
I might still get Taiko, but I am going to hold off for a bit. Are there any third party taiko drums that are bigger/better?
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801854
Pelican’s Bongo Drums for Nintendo’s new Donkey Konga game allows more players to join in on the fun. Pelican’s Bongos Drums are 10% lager then Nintendo DK Bongos, providing a more active play on the drum surface.

edit: oh, you wanted Taiko drums. Well, I dunno about bigger, but RedOctane tends to make a quality product. Dunno if that'll carry over to the Taiko drum or not though...

Soul4ger

ferricide said:
yeah, it seems that everyone who plays taiko in the arcade whines about the home version. whatever. the controller is way better than the DK one, and the drumsticks make it more fun. not to mention that clapping is just annoying IMO.

You don't have to clap, bitch, just hit the side of the drum.

Anyway, the domestic Taiko is a definite purchase for me > Katamari Damacy tracks are gold. I'll be getting both. However, I'm discouraged to see that the only Taiko drum controller available, by itself, is the Red Octane one. I wonder if Namco will announce an extra at the last minute? Doesn't affect me, but for the sake of people who don't import.

Top Bottom