• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2: INHOUSE LEAGUE Season 2 |OT|

TUSR

Banned
SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF JUNE 12-14
sC2qq96.png
REMINDER: Both Captains are still required to PM the weekly Admin with the agreed upon time

LEAGUE TRACKING:
UP TO DATE SCHEDULE CAN BE FOUND HERE:

Thought so.

This is the player you drafted Rubick for. I chose AP because AP really shows if someone is confident or experienced in one of their heroes.

You absolutely cannot give Rubick to any support-ish player and expect them to leverage the full strength of Rubick. I skimmed through the game at 8x speed and, by my count, this is what Rubick stole:

Death Ward, once in the early game
Anchor smash, twice or 3 times
Riptide, once
Crystal Nova, once

Basically, you made the right call in thinking that Rubick would be a good pick against Tide/WD, but you never considered if you had an actual Rubick player on your team, and the truth is, you didn't.

This is not a knock against Empty Can by any means, because Rubick is a very position/timing intensive hero. The Kuro/XBOCT image is supposed to be funny, but it is also very true. captains give Kuro Rubick for the same reasons captains give Puppey Chen, or fy Wisp: They know these players can play those heroes at almost 100% efficiency. Unless you're playing Rubick at 90%-100%, he is a glorified stun on a stick.

It is better to draft suboptimal heroes your players actually know how to play, than draft optimal picks whose execution demands would overwhelm their player.

Yeah, Rubick is a very difficult hero to play well, and I wasn't too worried about it as I knew it was likely the Rubick wouldn't stay out of range until I used Ravage, so I was just able to focus him every time. Without blink it is pretty difficult to steal Ravage anyway.

Ive found that Tide is really hard to steal ravage from since he typically has quick follow up with anchorsmash.

Yup, that is well known. If you get hit by Ravage as Rubick, you are fucked.
this is what I did from day 0 with my team. literally in the first PM, I asked for a list of their 5 best heroes at the positions I had in mind for them, and a list of the 5 they're least comfortable with and against.

I reference that list literally every weekend while also using it to make suggestions for heroes they can expand their hero pool to include.

It's worked well.

Uhuh.

It is that I am on my cellphone or I would screenshot my Puck played 9 months ago, with a 28% winrate and actually listed in my worst heroes.

WILDCARD!

EDIT:

There we go!

What is asked of us:

3.) Your five *least* comfortable heroes at your core position. Heroes you avoid like the plague and would strangle me for if we picked for you.

What I send:

3.) Puck and four other heroes afterwards that I won't name here.

I consider to have very valid reasoning for that:

*First pick Puck
"So who is going to play that Puck?"
"You are, Steve"

All hail captain DV. Our savior.

gai_shain

You should make a list of all heroes your teammates are confident in playing and draft/ban based on that.

While I think thats a good idea for the start of the season its also important to branch out to other heroes for the players imo. The season lasts a very long time and I think thats enough time to learn new heroes (on the level that is needed to be able to compete) that might give you an edge over other teams.

Madouu

Just pick strong all around heroes that the team needs. Leshrac for mid or Bara for offlane/support are good examples. You could easily climb back the mmr ladder by just spamming omni or abaddon by the way.

Kard8p3

My insanity is slipping along with my already low MMR every time I play. I think the lesson I've learned recently is not to wait in ranked all pick. Just go hard right away with first pick and take a good support. None of this waiting around crap. I use to be like a 3100 or 3200 player, now im sub 2600 in ranked team.

I think you're in the wrong Dota thread, friend. :(

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Is the Google doc correct when it says there were 4 teams that forfeited this week?

Yep, tusr and I were talking about the season being too long a few weeks ago, and this just validates it. More forfeits in the last 2 weeks than the entire first 7 weeks combined. If/when we do another season, it will be shorter. Also will probably be upping the team count to 9 players, since we had so many people go undrafted (regardless).

Minosha

Neo Member
I think it has to do with the time of year as well - Start of summer means schools over and the start of vacations and weekend trips.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think it has to do with the time of year as well - Start of summer means schools over and the start of vacations and weekend trips.

Yeah, that's a fair point, and I agree. I think it's a combination of 3 factors mainly:
-Season went on a little too long (burn out)
-Summer timing: schools' are out, new jobs, vacations
-Loss of casters after the first few weeks (Pro mentioned this)

Regardless, if we do another season (after TI), there will be a few changes to hopefully prevent the mass forfeits at the end :(.

Yep, tusr and I were talking about the season being too long a few weeks ago, and this just validates it. More forfeits in the last 2 weeks than the entire first 7 weeks combined. If/when we do another season, it will be shorter. Also will probably be upping the team count to 9 players, since we had so many people go undrafted (regardless).

Could also be the timing though with this being the end of the school year for most players.

TUSR

Banned
IHL3 will have some big improvements. Let's try and finish this season first though guys.

Anbokr and I have discussed some changes that will make everything smoother.

Once this season finishes, we are going to have exit interviews/questionnaires for whoever wants to complete them.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Let's try and finish this season first though guys.

This definitely. Playoffs will be starting soon, so bring your A game and get your players ready if you qualified (1-8th place qualify in each division).

Playoff format/rules:
Playoff Format said:
-Playoffs will be a cross-division single elimination 16 team bracket, with the first place teams from each division on opposite sides of the bracket. For example, the rank 1 team from division A plays the rank 8 team from division B, rank 4 from division A plays rank 5 from division B.
-First and second place in each division get to choose their opponent from amongst the 6th - 8th place teams in the opposite division.
-All playoff series will be bo3 except for the grand finals, which will be a bo5.

If your team finishes first/second, expect a message from Tusr or me either tonight or tomorrow. You'll have approximately ~24 hours to pick the team you want to face so we can get the playoff schedule up quickly, so that teams have plenty of time to schedule their playoff matches. Playoffs should be fun, so try to nail down a good time (when scheduling) with at least 5 locked in players. Remember first place gets some gnarly prizes (thanks to Big Dog and other players potentially hosting their own independent giveaways :).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Updated the playoff rules with two new additions concerning pauses and the coin flip:

-All pause rules are the same as the regular season (see Games/Scheduling #7).

-No more coin flip. The higher seeded team gets first choice between side or pick for game 1, the lower seeded team chooses for game 2, and then it alternates back to the higher seed for a potential game 3.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Quick question, how did you guys figure out the tie break between Gaf Titans and 2 ogre 1 club? They went 1-1 in their head to head, and have the same score.

YO We need to beat team lunaifu, those scrubs!

Jokes on you, we have been sandbagging
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

We are doomed

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Quick question, how did you guys figure out the tie break between Gaf Titans and 2 ogre 1 club? They went 1-1 in their head to head, and have the same score.

What normalfish said basically--2 ogres 1 club had a better record against the top 4 teams in their division compared to GAF Titans.

Also, from this point forward, no more free agents. That also applies to any pending free agent requests. Get your core team ready for the playoffs!

Top Bottom