• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2: INHOUSE LEAGUE Season 2 |OT|

Hylian7

I just wish we had a 4k+ player that had the experience to make the calls late game. We've lost so many games where we had a good first 20 minutes and it's getting frustrating at this point.
Edit: Never mind.

The point that the league is about fun and friendly competition still stands though. I think people improve by learning these things from experience.

TUSR

Banned
I'm going to write a semi-serious post about player drafting for next season at some point this week.

Heck, I might even use examples from this season.

Sanjay

Is this a jab at me or something? I realize I'm not the best captain or player in the league, but the whole point of this thing is for fun and friendly competition. Losing long games like that sucks, but the only way to learn to make these kinds of calls is experience. I feel like regardless of our team's performance over the season, I have certainly improved as a player and a captain. Sorry we aren't taking first place or something, but I don't see how throwing snarky jabs like this helps anything.

51029628.jpg

Good games Brules with the split. 2nd game was tough going against that gyro, earth and venom combo...

109 with the record dd pickups in 2 matches.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Filet Mignon sucks.

Seems like Radiance Naga is catching on in IHL. Just gonna let you guys know that you have to sit on her 24/7 if you want to win.

That or barrel mid and end it in 25 minutes.

BeesEight

I'm going to write a semi-serious post about player drafting for next season at some point this week.

Heck, I might even use examples from this season.

So is this official confirmation there is a next season? CMsmile.gif

Good games Gentlefish. I wanted to play WD but you guys kept drafting him first. :(

Filet Mignon sucks.
u suck u pauper

Seems like Radiance Naga is catching on in IHL. Just gonna let you guys know that you have to sit on her 24/7 if you want to win.

That or barrel mid and end it in 25 minutes.

yea. if she gets enough space to farm rad, travels and core, the game is probably over. but it's really hard to sit on a hero if you haven't drafted heroes that can beat the naga's trilane. or otherwise if you can't gank her.

so I guess you have to sit on her 24/7 AND end it in 25 minutes. because much like Spectre, she will get the radiance sooner or later. and if your comp can't deal with rad illusions (or that can end in < 30), you're actually fucked. I suppose that's always been true for Naga, but with the octarine? 34 second cooldown on BoT's and 30 seconds on illusions. 100% uptime on everything that matters.

6.84 struggle continues. I fucking hate this patch

I like it now that I have a better grasp on what works and what doesn't in terms of items and heroes. the first couple of weeks were rough for me and I shed about 300 MMR points trying to figure shit out. I'm good to go now.

Haly

I was watching Gofu's mid Naga and he was just freefarming mid.

Dunno about how to handle Naga tri.

Hylian7

I was watching Gofu's mid Naga and he was just freefarming mid.

Dunno about how to handle Naga tri.

I think in our game, we had the right idea with Gyro for sure. Flak cannon is strong at dealing with it, but that's only half the battle as you are still getting splitpushed.

Honestly, with Octarine Core existing, I feel like Naga is even STRONGER than she was last year now.

Haly

I think in our game, we had the right idea with Gyro for sure. Flak cannon is strong at dealing with it, but that's only half the battle as you are still getting splitpushed.

Honestly, with Octarine Core existing, I feel like Naga is even STRONGER than she was last year now.

The threat of Radiance Naga isn't being swarmed with illusions, that's just a bonus. The real power of the build comes from being able to cut all 3 lanes forever from 30 minutes.

Gyro can't do much against that. He'll enjoy all the waves being sent his way, but he's not going to be able to leave the base if the creep lines keep getting intercepted.

This is just a hypothetical, though, I don't know what strategy the Naga in your game employed.

Hylian7

The threat of Naga isn't being swarmed with illusions, that's just a bonus. The real threat comes from being able to intercept all 3 lanes forever from 30 minutes.

Gyro can't do much against that. He'll enjoy all the waves being sent his way, but he's not going to break into base if the creep lines keep getting cut.

This is just a hypothetical, though, I don't know what strategy the Naga in your game employed.

Basically exactly that, however it was stretched over a really long game (70+ minutes) and we even managed to get a rax. The problem was that the illusions could basically send some of our team back to the fountain after trying to pop them.

Haly

BTW Hylian, I question your Rubick draft. I think I understand the reasoning behind it but can you explain it from your perspective.

Hupsel

Ive been saying that QoP is fucking stupid and her ulti is incredible OP and fucking hell to deal with but nooooooooo Hupsel is just a 2k scrub that masturbates to Luna
facepalm.gif

Hylian7

BTW Hylian, I question your Rubick draft. I think I understand the reasoning behind it but can you explain it from your perspective.

Needed a good support, plus they had already picked the Tide and Witch Doctor, which was plenty of delicious stuff to steal. It was one the guy playing it could handle too.

What was the problem with it?

Hylian7

Ive been saying that QoP is fucking stupid and her ulti is incredible OP and fucking hell to deal with but nooooooooo Hupsel is just a 2k scrub that masturbates to Luna
facepalm.gif

I believed you, but I just can't play her for shit because I always whiff her ult for some inexplicable reason.

Haly

Needed a good support, plus they had already picked the Tide and Witch Doctor, which was plenty of delicious stuff to steal.
Thought so.

This is the player you drafted Rubick for. I chose AP because AP really shows if someone is confident or experienced in one of their heroes.

You absolutely cannot give Rubick to any support-ish player and expect them to leverage the full strength of Rubick. I skimmed through the game at 8x speed and, by my count, this is what Rubick stole:

Death Ward, once in the early game
Anchor smash, twice or 3 times
Riptide, once
Crystal Nova, once

Basically, you made the right call in thinking that Rubick would be a good pick against Tide/WD, but you never considered if you had an actual Rubick player on your team, and the truth is, you didn't.

This is not a knock against Empty Can by any means, because Rubick is a very position/timing intensive hero. The Kuro/XBOCT image is supposed to be funny, but it is also very true. captains give Kuro Rubick for the same reasons captains give Puppey Chen, or fy Wisp: They know these players can play those heroes at almost 100% efficiency. Unless you're playing Rubick at 90%-100%, he is a glorified stun on a stick.

It is better to draft suboptimal heroes your players actually know how to play, than draft optimal picks whose execution demands would overwhelm their player.

Hylian7

Thought so.

This is the player you drafted Rubick for. I chose AP because AP really shows if someone is confident or experienced in one of their heroes.

You absolutely cannot give Rubick to any support-ish player and expect them to leverage the full strength of Rubick. I skimmed through the game at 8x speed and, by my count, this is what Rubick stole:

Death Ward, once in the early game
Anchor smash, twice or 3 times
Riptide, once
Crystal Nova, once

Basically, you made the right call in thinking that Rubick would be a good pick against Tide/WD, but you never considered if you had an actual Rubick player on your team, and the truth is, you didn't.

This is not a knock against Empty Can by any means, because Rubick is a very position/timing intensive hero. The Kuro/XBOCT image is supposed to be funny, but it is also very true. captains give Kuro Rubick for the same reasons captains give Puppey Chen, or fy Wisp: They know these players can play those heroes at almost 100% efficiency. Unless you're playing Rubick at 90%-100%, he is a glorified stun on a stick.

It is better to draft suboptimal heroes your players actually know how to play, than draft optimal picks whose execution demands would overwhelm their player.

Right. It's a difficult thing, because I have done that before and gotten the exact opposite criticism. Like one time someone else had to play carry that wasn't very experienced at it, so I was left to picking Viper safelane

ViviOggi

Right. It's a difficult thing, because I have done that before and gotten the exact opposite criticism. Like one time someone else had to play carry that wasn't very experienced at it, so I was left to picking Viper safelane
But having someone play carry who isn't experienced with the role is essentially the same thing. They're not gonna play the hero efficiently (and also you're stuck with a supported safelane Viper which is a just waste of resources)

Hylian7

But having someone play carry who isn't experienced with the role is essentially the same thing. They're not gonna play the hero efficiently (and also you're stuck with a supported safelane Viper which is a just waste of resources)

Of course, but given who was there at that match, SOMEONE had to go in safelane carry, and if they weren't there they would be in a different role they wouldn't have experience in. It wasn't an ideal situation all around.

Haly

You should make a list of all heroes your teammates are confident in playing and draft/ban based on that.

You should make a list of all heroes your teammates are confident in playing and draft/ban based on that.

this is what I did from day 0 with my team. literally in the first PM, I asked for a list of their 5 best heroes at the positions I had in mind for them, and a list of the 5 they're least comfortable with and against.

I reference that list literally every weekend while also using it to make suggestions for heroes they can expand their hero pool to include.

It's worked well.

Or even get a list at the start of the draft. It can still work off your overall game plan and they may list a hero the captain didn't even think about. Also will prevent the captain from possibly banning one of their teammates suggested hero's they can play.

Haly

Or even get a list at the start of the draft.

No, this is far too late.

I didn't think this needed to be stated explicitly but as Captain or Drafter, you need to have a good idea of what your team is capable of. Unless you're Secret or a Chinese team, you do not have the entire pool at your disposal, but, in practice, only a subset.

Madouu

Ive found that Tide is really hard to steal ravage from since he typically has quick follow up with anchorsmash.

You have to be in range and ready to steal it. If you are trying to dodge the ravage you are not going to steal it unless you have mobility items or aghs because both skills have around the same range. Ravage and anchor smash have decent cast time, so if you are ready you can steal ravage consistently.

Don't be afraid to ignore most of what's going on in the fights if you think the steal is what's going to win you the game and you can't keep track of everything. Focus on the tide and stay in range of the steal, as soon as he casts ravage, you use your ult on him. It doesn't matter if the ravage hits you because you can counter ravage right afterwards (just don't be the first target in front which pubs will generally focus).

this is what I did from day 0 with my team. literally in the first PM, I asked for a list of their 5 best heroes at the positions I had in mind for them, and a list of the 5 they're least comfortable with and against.

I reference that list literally every weekend while also using it to make suggestions for heroes they can expand their hero pool to include.

It's worked well.

Literally swindlemelonz.

It's a good strat.

No, this is far too late.

I didn't think this needed to be stated explicitly but as Captain or Drafter, you need to have a good idea of what your team is capable of. Unless you're Secret or a Chinese team, you do not have the entire pool at your disposal, but, in practice, only a subset.

I was meaning on top of the list you already made, not as in just finding out as the draft starts. Things change over time and people may feel more comfortable with other hero's especially when they see the draft unfold.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm finally free for a weekend, went to a Lan Cafe to play since my place doesn't have internet yet, and we got a Default Win :|

At least the pub game we all played was fun, and my questionable hookshots somehow turned into won fights.

Artanisix

I'm alright, thanks for the concern guys. Something must have been lost in the translation - it's actually my grandpa who is checked in. He's undergoing chemo so I'm spending my day with him at the hospital.

I'm alright, thanks for the concern guys. Something must have been lost in the translation - it's actually my grandpa who is checked in. He's undergoing chemo so I'm spending my day with him at the hospital.

I hope your grandpa's condition gets better. Teach him dota to pass the time in the hospital.

TUSR

Banned
i actually have no idea how to give both teams that forfeit losses with the site ive been using to handle the standings

update will come a bit later

Top Bottom