• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

well shit, all 3 of my sets were removed. Know what this means? you guys should buy them for ass cheap on the marketplace!! :D
http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=dead+winter
http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=ancestors
http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=sanguine

seriously dem shits cheap! I'm actually glad people can get them cheaper, It's just a rush seeing other people use your stuff in game. Too cool.

plus as a player, this lets me get tooooonssss of new items for mad cheap, which is amazing! :D

I wonder how this will affect NEW set sales though? That's one of my major worries.

Thanks for mentioning this. I could buy the hood for cheap.

JustinBB7

I just did, I tabbed out during picking phase but I was set as the captain and I never knew, every thing went random for my team, we won some how.

Were you party leader or first position in the game? I think it automatically makes that person captain if nobody clicks on be captain

Anteo

Anyone having problems seeing Drow in game model? I cant see any of her animations so is not posible to see her attacking unless you see the arrow, and the arrow is dark and hard to see in dire territory

Wow. You can't find out what skill level you're in anymore. They changed the filter.
People abused it to flame others and many people were using it to convince themselves matchmaking was broken, rather than them not being as good as they thought they were. It was only a matter of time before it was removed, but really the community only has themselves to blame for latching onto it like it was the word of god about how good they were at Dota.

JustinBB7

People abused it to flame others and many people were using it to convince themselves matchmaking was broken, rather than them not being as good as they thought they were. It was only a matter of time before it was removed, but really the community only has themselves to blame for latching onto it like it was the word of god about how good they were at Dota.

So does that mean the dotabuff plus way is broken too? Because I was wondering why I went from high to normal this week.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Wow. You can't find out what skill level you're in anymore. They changed the filter.

Really irritated with this direction. I don't mind anything else, update rate, items, whatever, but god damn at least allow for some APPROXIMATION of ranking. First they killed dbr, then they killed wins, then they killed dota profile, now they kill bracket observation.

Are they REALLY that worried about people talking shit? Because they will anyway, see dota1.

Leaving a player completely unequipped to compare themselves against others is really, really stupid.

SamVimes

Somehow i don't feel like blaming the community for something Valve took away.

Really irritated with this direction. I don't mind anything else, update rate, items, whatever, but god damn at least allow for some APPROXIMATION of ranking. First they killed dbr, then they killed wins, then they killed dota profile, now they kill bracket observation.

Are they REALLY that worried about people talking shit? Because they will anyway, see dota1.

Leaving a player completely unequipped to compare themselves against others is really, really stupid.

Yeah I hate it. I was hoping for a more precise ranking system(instead of ranking 90% of players as normal), but this is a step in the wrong direction. So now there's no way to know?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks like Pubstats.me just recognized the change and will probably be shutting down soon.

shira

ibpLMk20A3cuwC.gif

Kaipi, Rattlesnake, same result

ksan

there's still watch tab page no. :p

in b4 next week update being watch tab games being ordered randomly

elyetis

I'll miss it. Going from fulltime normal, to sometimes high, to fulltime high bracket was a great feeling.

Now I will be stuck to guess if I'm improving or not ( even more so than before I mean).. For such a competitive kind of game I find it quite sad, and doubt it will do much of a difference community wise.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
there's still watch tab page no. :p

in b4 next week update being watch tab games being ordered randomly

Guess we're gonna have to nerd stack try to win every game until we're front pagers like the rest of the tryhards. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. I can see it already, 3 games based on viewer count, 3 random. Excited newbies telling their friends "OMG I got on the front page and got 600 viewers game is so good!!!!11!" In fact, that idea is so good that it has probably already been accepted and is being coded now.

ksan

I actually think one of the reasons it got removed is because a lot of people simply didn't understand that it was a percentile ranking of the average mmr of a game, and not some kind of bracket.

Calidor

I couldn't agree more, this is so stupid...

DotA is a competitve game, you get spammed with tickets, tournaments and player cards yet they keep trying to leave the game as casual as possible to everyone else with no means to measure your own progress

f***

ksan

There's still ranking in the only mode where ranking matters.

Are you implying that anyone cares about team mm in this game?

The ranking in that mode is even more fucked up than not having a ranking at all. 99% of the rating is based on some average hidden mmr of your team, and it's basically impossible to get higher ratings by winning games.
It's pretty sad, I was hyped for that shit.

So does that mean the dotabuff plus way is broken too? Because I was wondering why I went from high to normal this week.

Dotabuff now shows all post-patch matches as "normal"

I actually think one of the reasons it got removed is because a lot of people simply didn't understand that it was a percentile ranking of the average mmr of a game, and not some kind of bracket.

Yep, people were using it as their MMR, assuming it was where they were as a player and using it to flame or criticize the matchmaking system without understanding anything about what they were saying.

I couldn't agree more, this is so stupid...

DotA is a competitve game, you get spammed with tickets, tournaments and player cards yet they keep trying to leave the game as casual as possible to everyone else with no means to measure your own progress

f***

I think Valve has this concept that every game should be a self contained instance, and plays made in previous games should not have baring on your performance or attitude going into a new game. They want you to bomb one game and not have it matter at all, so you can continue to improve, try new heroes and experiment without a number looming over your head or people ridiculing you for previous games.

fiore

Banned
I think Valve is doing a good job with trying out ways to make dota as pleasant as possible between players. Maybe once I play more often I'll realize other people's perspective.

Boken

Banned

this game is for babies

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

I just don't understand why Valve is so carebear with regards to DOTA 2 while they have a whole competitive ranking system in CS:GO. It's been fucking 3 years, dota is one of the most competitive pvp oriented games and some sort of ranking or ladder is necessary ala CS:GO, LoL, Starcraft. It's really stupid that they spend development resources on dumb shit like Diretide, Greeveling, and player cards while the game still doesn't have a functioning ladder. This should be priority two behind parity IMO (priority #1).

People will flame no matter what. This is the dumbest excuse to keep taking out information. "PPL FLAMED ME FOR WINS, VALVE PLZ," win display removed. "PPL FLAME ME FOR DBR"--dbr killed. "PPL FLAME ME 4 MY TOP HERO"--public profiles now completely private. "PPL FLAME ME 4 BRACKET"--removed. As for the last, I bet most people used this to see their own bracket and skill level over any flaming. You can never stop flaming in a competitive game, people will always find something to flame you for. What's next? Are we going to start censoring specific "flame" words/phrases? Can we just remove the K/D/A in game menu? Someone flamed me for going 0/10.

Like procarbine said, dota 1 had absolutely no visible statistics or anything and was probably had highest amount of bad manner/flaming players. Put punishing systems in place (the mute system), but stop fucking removing features/any semblance of skill level or ranking in the name of "preventing flaming," because it absolutely doesn't.

I just don't understand why Valve is so carebear with regards to DOTA 2 while they have a whole competitive ranking system in CS:GO. It's been fucking 3 years, dota is one of the most competitive pvp oriented games
Yes

And it doesn't have a ladder

Think about it. If a ladder really was required to be a competitive game, why is Dota one of the most competitive games ever, despite not having one?

I think its importance is overstated and the game itself does not need it to grow or be competitive. And the downsides to having one are pretty substantial, especially when Valve wants to grow Dota 2 into having the best community of MOBA games.

People will flame no matter what. This is the dumbest excuse to keep taking out information. "PPL FLAMED ME FOR WINS, VALVE PLZ," win display removed. "PPL FLAME ME FOR DBR"--dbr killed. "PPL FLAME ME 4 MY TOP HERO"--public profiles now completely private. "PPL FLAME ME 4 BRACKET"--removed. As for the last, I bet most people used this to see their own bracket and skill level over any flaming. You can never stop flaming in a competitive game, people will always find something to flame you for. What's next? Are we going to start censoring specific "flame" words/phrases? Can we just remove the K/D/A in game menu? Someone flamed me for going 0/10.
I've seen people who have said "I go carry, you support because you have less wins"

And this was with wins which don't even mean anything.
Valve has decided rather than limiting communication (removing text/voice chat, relying on text commands only), they'll limit information people can use to blame and flame.

If people start flaming you because in your previous game you went 0/10 as Void, then maybe they'd consider it. But K/D ratio is self contained in the match itself, it's not an external statistic.

fiore

Banned
Yes

And it doesn't have a ladder

Think about it. If a ladder really was required to be a competitive game, why is Dota one of the most competitive games ever, despite not having one?

I think its importance is overstated and the game itself does not need it to grow or be competitive. And the downsides to having one are pretty substantial, especially when Valve wants to grow Dota 2 into having the best community of MOBA games.
Yes, I agree. Valve is doing something right when it manages to be #1 in the Steam stats by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom