• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

DrPizza

Banned
The TI winner making a change really isn't the worst idea when you look back at what's happened to IG, Alliance, and Newbee after they won. Dota changes so much patch to patch; the team that was the best 6 months ago can mediocre if the new style of play doesn't suit them.
Yeah but we don't even have a new patch yet. We don't know what will change in the meta, so doubling down on greedy playmaking mids feels like it's making the team less balanced rather than more.

All this stuff makes it really difficult to have a favorite team though. This is two years in a row where the team I liked was blown up after TI.
I think the instability and small teams of Dota mean that the sensible thing is still to support players rather than teams.

Hylian7

Of all my years playing Dota I never really saw the appeal of playing AM, boring AFK farming hero I thought.

Just played my first game with him and boy is he fun to play, farm jungle pop out wreck in a time fight and then hop right back in and see how fast you can the farm up. Also pretty damn satisfying blinking in hitting some heroes and then Mana Voiding them to hell when they try to run!

Also my dick is hard for IceIceIce going to Secret, that would be just grand.

Part of the reason I love playing farming heroes so much is just because there are so many facets to farming. You have to be on top of stacking camps and watching the clock, being in a spot on the map where you can safely get as much farm as you can. Yeah though, getting the huge pops (as I like to call Mana Void) is so satisfying.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm sympathetic for aui and hope he finds a good team, but this whole faux-outrage, "THEY CAN'T DO THIS FUCKING ASSHOLES WTF SO DISHONORABLE FUCK PPD BACKSTABERS" nonsense is hysterical. PPD's final tweet on this whole shebang is right on:
Hi EG.PPD, I'm trying to learn to play Treant Protector. I just have a question about the skill build. Should I max Nature's Guise like you pretended to be a good teammate, leech seed like you Leeched off Aui's skill, or Living armor like you sheilded rtz from being on a bad team

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Part of the reason I love playing farming heroes so much is just because there are so many facets to farming. You have to be on top of stacking camps and watching the clock, being in a spot on the map where you can safely get as much farm as you can. Yeah though, getting the huge pops (as I like to call Mana Void) is so satisfying.

I think that is why AM is so satisfying to play as with his 5 second blink, means you can stack and clear camps in quick succession with ease. Better than other farming heros at least :).

whats the current meta for 4 positions? what will be the future meta for 4s?

Regardless fear has probably the largest hero pool in Nadota, and having such a versatile player for your farming support can only be a boon for EG.

the 4 position is one of the most varied roles in the game, and a lot of times is a pivotal part of your draft plan along with your 3. Having fear and universe on these roles is fucking ownage
+1

EG will be more than fine in the end. Aui fans should focus on hoping he too lands on his feet, and I'm certain he will. 1, 3 or 4 positions for Aui and he'll continue to be good.

sixghost

Navi fell apart while Puppey was still Captain. Secret had the most success when Puppey stepped down as captain. Captains are important, but they aren't everything. There have been mediocre teams with great captains, great teams with mediocre captains and everything else inbetween. But I can't think of a top tier team that didn't have a dominant support duo.

By monkeying with that, EG is taking a risk. I think it will pay off for the organization by dint of the money that Arteezy brings in alone. He is the most marketable player in NADota.
Compare NaVi's year after TI3 to their year after TI4. They weren't as good as they used to be, but they were still a really strong team that was winning tournaments. After Puppey was kicked they imploded and accomplished nothing in an entire year. They went through like 3 or 4 different captains and still are crap. They finished dead last at TI5.

You can always go out and find another carry or another offlaner that slots in well enough, but you can count the elite captains in Dota on one hand.

strimming the same time as singsing and rtz.
good luck !
cheeky.gif

He said everyone on Secret disliked Kuro, even Puppey.
no surprise. lol @ people who think they know any of these players to say or know how easy or hard they are to work, play and live with. Sometimes if someone seems to always be moving around, maybe their disposition isn't as sunny as it appears in the split seconds you get to see them on stage. Shocking, I know. Not everything that glitters is gold.

no surprise. lol @ people who think they know any of these players to say or know how easy or hard they are to work, play and live with. Sometimes if someone seems to always be moving around, maybe their disposition isn't as sunny as it appears in the split seconds you get to see them on stage. Shocking, I know. Not everything that glitters is gold.

Truth.

Here's more truth, he has the best rubick in the world.

Compare NaVi's year after TI3 to their year after TI4. They weren't as good as they used to be, but they were still a really strong team that was winning tournaments. After Puppey was kicked they imploded and accomplished nothing in an entire year. They went through like 3 or 4 different captains and still are crap. They finished dead last at TI5.

You can always go out and find another carry or another offlaner that slots in well enough, but you can count the elite captains in Dota on one hand.

I would argue that elite supports are just as rare and are more valuable.

Why are praising puppeys captain skills when the most relevant tournament he won was under artstyle.

Edit: Not saying he's not a talented player/captain, just that it seems navis success seems to be forgetting a few

Jezbollah

This who reshuffle thing is quite dramatic and extremely interesting from a fan's perspective, but I cant help but think this Majors deadline that has been imposed could mean that some players might find themselves rushed into making decisions on moving teams. Theres a lot of potential for things not to work and very publicly at that.

I know Amazon owns Twitch..but holy crap another billionaire other than Gabe Newell was at TI5

Not terribly surprising that pioneers in tech would be interested in such things. I'd imagine someone like that would be always on the look out for new industry in the tech world. This is just one of many, I suppose.

Cool, none the less.
And Twitch owns GoodGame agency which owns EG so I am sure Bezos was happy.
Forgot about this. even more reason.

Haunted

I like that the new system with the 4 majors will constrict this constant shuffling. With two allowed and limited trade periods, it should be easier to follow everything.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Honestly I feel bad for PPD. He's the lightning rod for so much hate. All the armchair quarterbacking and amateur psychology going on around this is pretty gross.

Honestly I feel bad for PPD. He's the lightning rod for so much hate. All the armchair quarterbacking and amateur psychology going on around this is pretty gross.
Agreed.

It's really just a reflection of the youth and naïveté of the player base itself rather than a reflection of anyone on or associated with EG. The moment pro Dota became a million-dollar pursuit it stopped being about friends and blind loyalty and about putting yourself in the best position to succeed. Business is business and hard decisions have to be made when big free agents enter the market. If they can improve the team and increase their chances to make millions more, they have to pursue it. Even if it's your bae.

The organization that binds itself to any individual irrespective of their diminishing skills or otherwise ignoring opportunities to upgrade significantly is the organization that ends up like Na'Vi.

Top Bottom