• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

alright I was saving this for a special occasion, but it seems i need to dish it out now. Ahem,

Why is nature's prophet never in team fights?
Because nature calls

What does Tidebringer give away on Christmas?

Good tidings

Death Prophet is in pretty good shape for a dead woman ..

.. she must get regular exorcise!

Why won't Crystal Maiden buy wards?
Because she is un-rylai-ble.

Why did CDEC lose TI?
They played too agressif

Why does TA get excited when fighting a Treant with a Butterfly?
She likes miss-trees.

What did Dazzle say to AM after shallow graving himself?
Check out my art style.

Did you hear about Nevermore having an orphanage?
Apparently he's pretty good at razing children

misc-dendiFace.PNG
LjxHHMe.gif

JC Sera

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502481240
new potential chest
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=499660955
If i didnt have the ball joint nyx claws....

edit: just realised the SK thing is ripped off from dota cinema's idea
first the custom Enigma ultimate, and now this, gotta feel some pity for those guys

from the ask.fm
Why are girls so bad at dota?
some girls are acutally really good ive seen bubu's stream before and shes good. i can see where the generalizing of girls being bad at dota comes from though
sigh

Artanisix

I know I'm late to the party but Hylian I feel like you completely lack any empathy of any kind. It shouldn't be so difficult to understand that there is a tiered system in place for what BRAND NEW PLAYERS should be paying attention to and focusing on? A BRAND NEW PLAYER should not be min-maxing mana gains with tread switching // item dropping // soul ringing. It doesn't make sense to focus on this aspect of the game because this trick objectively cannot be considered fundamental to the game.

You're lumping every aspect of doto into one tier of knowledge base and it's super-dangerous and potentially extremely off-putting for new guys. It's like sitting down a 6 year-old and telling him, hey, when you have 3 apples and you take away 1 apple you're only left with 2 apples! Also hey don't forget that almost all binomial coefficients are even and if you map the even ones in pascal's triangle, you'll get an approximation of sierpinski's sieve. That's just as important to remember so don't forget that when you're subtracting apples away, and if you can't remember that then don't fucking bother attempting math.

I'm only bringing this up again because I've seen you say a lot of silly stuff, potentially driving away new players when you say this isn't the game for them if they can't move the map with their mouse or tread switch properly, and I really don't want you to deter any newbies who are lurking over ridiculous mechanical quirks.

I think this has been posted before but I am incredibly lazy:

is there any way to get cfg/autoexec/whatever they're called commands in reborn?

I need my force right click to deny and disable range finder :(

Hylian7

I know I'm late to the party but Hylian I feel like you completely lack any empathy of any kind. It shouldn't be so difficult to understand that there is a tiered system in place for what BRAND NEW PLAYERS should be paying attention to and focusing on? A BRAND NEW PLAYER should not be min-maxing mana gains with tread switching // item dropping // soul ringing. It doesn't make sense to focus on this aspect of the game because this trick objectively cannot be considered fundamental to the game.

You're lumping every aspect of doto into one tier of knowledge base and it's super-dangerous and potentially extremely off-putting for new guys. It's like sitting down a 6 year-old and telling him, hey, when you have 3 apples and you take away 1 apple you're only left with 2 apples! Also hey don't forget that almost all binomial coefficients are even and if you map the even ones in pascal's triangle, you'll get an approximation of sierpinski's sieve. That's just as important to remember so don't forget that when you're subtracting apples away, and if you can't remember that then don't fucking bother attempting math.

I'm only bringing this up again because I've seen you say a lot of silly stuff, potentially driving away new players when you say this isn't the game for them if they can't move the map with their mouse or tread switch properly, and I really don't want you to deter any newbies who are lurking over ridiculous mechanical quirks.

People were saying that the idea of these mechanics existing would put them off of the game. Even not discussing them with new players does not make the mechanics go away, they still exist, their opponents or teammates are potentially using them (depends if stacked, private match, or whatever).

I still think that if someone wants to play with the camera locked on their hero, and refuses to realize that that idea is the incorrect way, then they have no business playing because they obviously don't want to try to learn the game properly. We need to foster a quality community here, not just people that ruin games and then say "I'm having fun!"

I'm late on this but rofl. This is amazing.

Hylian7

I wish emoji can be installled on the mobile..

That would be great. I really wish there was some kind of API for custom Emojis.
ashot_sven.gif

Edit: Did a bit of research and there is, however of course everyone would have to have it installed to see the emojis.

I think this has been posted before but I am incredibly lazy:

is there any way to get cfg/autoexec/whatever they're called commands in reborn?

I need my force right click to deny and disable range finder :(

Have you seen this before?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3alrm9/config_guy_here_its_now_official_we_are_releasing/

If you already have your own existing autoexec.cfg from Dota 1 and just need that to run in Reborn Client, you need to edit game_convars.vcfg (At work right now so I don't have the location of this file, shouldn't be too hard to find though). Just add "exec" "autoexec.cfg", similar to this:

https://github.com/loopuleasa/Dota2...ggle, custom hero modes) !!/game_convars.vcfg

Artanisix

"Even not discussing them with new players does not make the mechanics go away, they still exist, their opponents or teammates are potentially using them (depends if stacked, private match, or whatever)."

I never said they went away? No one ever said they go away. The point is and always has been that tread switching is not a fundamental part of dota. It's just not and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out why you insist it's on the same level as dota basics.

Kade

I still think that if someone wants to play with the camera locked on their hero, and refuses to realize that that idea is the incorrect way, then they have no business playing because they obviously don't want to try to learn the game properly. We need to foster a quality community here, not just people that ruin games and then say "I'm having fun!"

I think "suboptimal" is a better word than "incorrect". Is it better? Yes, but it's not wrong because it still technically works. A lot of people get discouraged when their introduction to things are framed in a "right or wrong" point of view rather than being eased in through having to face situations where they think "Hmm maybe I should disable camera lock so that I can more easily realize what's going on outside of my periphery". Let people be shitty and learn through doing things using suboptimal methods if they want. Your points might be fine but your wording is very discouraging and something you should watch out for.

Have you seen this before?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3alrm9/config_guy_here_its_now_official_we_are_releasing/

If you already have your own existing autoexec.cfg from Dota 1 and just need that to run in Reborn Client, you need to edit game_convars.vcfg (At work right now so I don't have the location of this file, shouldn't be too hard to find though). Just add "exec" "autoexec.cfg", similar to this:

https://github.com/loopuleasa/Dota2...ggle, custom hero modes) !!/game_convars.vcfg

bless your heart <3 <3 <3

Hylian7

"Even not discussing them with new players does not make the mechanics go away, they still exist, their opponents or teammates are potentially using them (depends if stacked, private match, or whatever)."

I never said they went away? No one ever said they go away. The point is and always has been that tread switching is not a fundamental part of dota. It's just not and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out why you insist it's on the same level as dota basics.

Stats are a basic of Dota, they have to have some idea of what stats actually mean. Given that, Tread switching is barely a far cry from that.

I think "suboptimal" is a better word than "incorrect". Is it better? Yes, but it's not wrong because it still technically works. A lot of people get discouraged when their introduction to things are framed in a "right or wrong" point of view rather than being eased in through having to face situations where they think "Hmm maybe I should disable camera lock so that I can more easily realize what's going on outside of my periphery". Let people be shitty and learn through doing things using suboptimal methods if they want. Your points might be fine but your wording is very discouraging and something you should watch out for.

Eh, I can see this. The frustrating thing is people keep insisting on doing it. I mean one of the primary sources of it is from a certain other game. Almost every time I have watched someone play that other game, they just have the camera locked the whole time, and it is just so frustrating to watch.

Pratfall

milllllllkkkkkkkkkkkk it was overrrrrrrrrrr

Top Bottom