• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

JC Sera

eh if you are playing at reasonable hours in america, you should miss most of the SEA internet cafe traffic
just buttloads of ping to worry about
cheeky.gif

Just curious if russians are that bad, like whats the demographic? Is the only problem the language barrier?
like the problem with SEA players, other than the language barrier, is the majority consist of bored & frustrated and sometimes very rude teenagers
LCnCRPK.gif

eh if you are playing at reasonable hours in america, you should miss most of the SEA internet cafe traffic
cheeky.gif

Just curious if russians are that bad, like whats the demographic? Is the only problem the language barrier?
like the problem with a lot SEA players, other than the language barrier, is they majority consist of bored & frustrated and sometimes very rude teenagers
LCnCRPK.gif

yeah, that's about the same over here. Lots of trolls and obnoxious people.

Hylian7

cheeky.gif

like the problem with SEA players, other than the language barrier, is the majority consist of bored & frustrated and sometimes very rude teenagers
LCnCRPK.gif

Basically here's the way I imagine it, from their perspective.

They get in a game with a cyrillic name, and happen to give up FB. Someone yells at them, everyone's at each other's throats, nobody is happy. I've seen this happen all the damn time. Back in early Dota 2 Beta when there were fewer servers, seeing Russians/people talking in some cyrillic language was common all the time, even on US servers. As more servers were added, that became less common at least for US servers, I don't think I have seen someone speaking in actual cyrillic text since 2012.

JC Sera

Basically here's the way I imagine it, from their perspective.

They get in a game with a cyrillic name, and happen to give up FB. Someone yells at them, everyone's at each other's throats, nobody is happy. I've seen this happen all the damn time. Back in early Dota 2 Beta when there were fewer servers, seeing Russians/people talking in some cyrillic language was common all the time, even on US servers. As more servers were added, that became less common at least for US servers, I don't think I have seen someone speaking in actual cyrillic text since 2012.
I can definitely see that becoming a thing, sadly

Chris R

Also, what's up with the uptick in SEA players on USW servers? All they do in my games is complain in non-English about the terrible lag... well no duh the server is across the Pacific Ocean...

Hylian7

I can definitely see that becoming a thing, sadly

And the sad thing is usually what starts that chain of events: "Oh god we have a fucking Russian/Peruvian/(racist term) feeding (homophobic term) on our team, we already lost gg ff push mid"

Also we waited FIFTEEN FUCKING MINUTES IN REBORN and gave up and went to Source 1 Doto.

Again how do they expect people to win 15 games, let alone even play 15 games?

Reckoner

I find south americans more frustrating on USE. Especially since most of them understand and speak some english, but absolutely refuse to.

That's exactly what bothers me. I don't have a problem being queued with anyone from any country, as long as they use communication properly. And like Hylian said, there's a chat wheel. Even if you aren't fluent with the common language, you can use that to at least get some team coordination going on. But nah. And if you ask them too much, they just start ignoring, insulting, etc. and you (ironically) just end up wanting to mute them.

Btw on Storm Spirit what do you think is best. Getting Null Talisman or just three branches and go straight to the Bottle?

Not speaking a certain language is fine honestly, you don't even have to understand English, but trying to communicate in your foreign language when it's obvious your teammates don't speak it is something else. Like are you intentionally trying to make everything harder for everyone? Use the chat wheel or use simple words like "wards, smoke, Roshan, push, back", and that's ignoring the fact that most of the time when they're typing in their language it's mostly flame, which doesn't exactly improve the way people feel about them.

Not speaking a certain language is fine honestly, you don't even have to understand English, but trying to communicate in your foreign language when it's obvious your teammates don't speak it is something else. Like are you intentionally trying to make everything harder for everyone? Use the chat wheel or use simple words like "wards, smoke, Roshan, push, back", and that's ignoring the fact that most of the time when they're typing in their language it's mostly flame, which doesn't exactly improve the way people feel about them.

But how will I excuse my loses then? Do you want me to admit that I misplayed?! crazy talk

The last two chests were fucking garbage tier btw. bring back single item chests pls valve

Hylian7

Okay, I'm fucking convinced Slark is a broken piece of shit. He's in almost every fucking game, and if you don't have a team picked specifically to beat him, good luck. His ulti is on a 60 second CD, but it might as well be 10, because that's what it feels like.

cheeky.gif

LCnCRPK.gif
hello sir mid please gank

Hylian7

There's also always bloodseeker if you really hate slark.

You ever seen Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby?

Remember that scene where he sticks the knife in his leg and they're like "Use this other knife to get it out?"

Yeah.

It frustrates me to deal with heroes that are basically all about picks and nothing else.

Okay, I'm fucking convinced Slark is a broken piece of shit. He's in almost every fucking game, and if you don't have a team picked specifically to beat him, good luck. His ulti is on a 60 second CD, but it might as well be 10, because that's what it feels like.
There's a lot of heroes who are good vs him. You enjoy playing AM, don't you? Slark does virtually nothing against him.

Hylian7

There's a lot of heroes who are good vs him. You enjoy playing AM, don't you? Slark does virtually nothing against him.

Well he makes AM squisher, while he can't easily kill him, he makes him have to play safer (meaning less farm), and he can't do as much. So he does kind of beat AM.

-1 * 2 times because you just blink after he pounces you and then he does jackshit because he's shit at chasing
or just manta and man mode him if he doesn't have his ult up

patapuf

You ever seen Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby?

Remember that scene where he sticks the knife in his leg and they're like "Use this other knife to get it out?"

Yeah.

It frustrates me to deal with heroes that are basically all about picks and nothing else.

Slark is a snowball hero, so if you don't feed him early, or even manage to keep him down a while, i don't feel you always specifically need to counterpick him. You'll obviously want lockdown, but that's the same vs. SS, QOP etc.

The hero pool to deal with him is decently sized i think and with BS and AA there are 2 heroes that counter him hard.

Of course, a fed slark, with few possiblities to lock him down, is one of the most frustrating things to play against.

Well he makes AM squisher, while he can't easily kill him, he makes him have to play safer (meaning less farm), and he can't do as much. So he does kind of beat AM.

Unless you are very far behind, I don't see that becoming a huge problem honestly. You blink into the trees when he jumps you and then you fuck off. When he comes to gank you, he'll waste his time while you blink away and just keep farming. That match up is heavily in favour of AM unless Slark is super farmed in which case the game might be over with any hero.

Hylian7

-1 * 2 times because you just blink after he pounces you and then he does jackshit because he's shit at chasing
or just manta and man mode him if he doesn't have his ult up

Oh he does, he always does. Also you're implying that you're going to make it to Manta. Usually I can, but the road to get there is rough. It's made significantly more difficult by Slark, this might mean slower farm if a Shadow Blade Slark is all up in your jungle business.

Also fuck Dota, not a single game won today.

awzd19C.png

I'd say all of them were a about equal blame on myself and my teammates.

This one was a good one at least: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1656202886

Last one was just frustrating because I had such a good start but we had no way to keep it up: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1656711710

Got FB solo vs Veno, farmed creeps and wards the whole lane. Had 75 CS at 10 minutes, ancient stacks ready, BKB by 17 minutes, MKB at 27. We just had no real way to seal the deal here though.

Most important against slark is either instant hard lockdown (either a good silence or a stun) so you can fuck him up before he can ult or purge
Or good AoE nukes and/or stuns (see ES, lina, enigma, magnus, tide, etc) so you can fuck him up after he ult'd, main issue is he may be able to purge these and I don't think you can see the precast on the purge, so you need to play it smart (except in the case of ES where you have 3 AoE stuns anyway)

edit : if he has his ult up then bait him by using manta then have allies ready to jump him from the woods for when he comes out of it. or just force his ult with manta then blink away and go back to farming
spectre is pretty shite against slark. no reliable escape (fuck using haunt to escape that's not reliable one bit) and really squishy until heart and/or manta.

Relax. I managed to lose this one on a smurf yesterday (Leshrac):

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1655574894

That shit was depressing.

you had it coming with that aghs pick up
sick.gif

Hylian7

Most important against slark is either instant hard lockdown (either a good silence or a stun) so you can fuck him up before he can ult or purge
Or good AoE nukes and/or stuns (see ES, lina, enigma, magnus, tide, etc) so you can fuck him up after he ult'd, main issue is he may be able to purge these and I don't think you can see the precast on the purge, so you need to play it smart (except in the case of ES where you have 3 AoE stuns anyway)

edit : if he has his ult up then bait him by using manta then have allies ready to jump him from the woods for when he comes out of it. or just force his ult with manta then blink away and go back to farming
spectre is pretty shite against slark. no reliable escape (fuck using haunt to escape that's not reliable one bit) and really squishy until heart and/or manta.

you had it coming with that aghs pick up
sick.gif

I guess my issue with it was that I would think Spectre should beat Slark late game, and we clearly got to late game. I had a lot of farm that game, doing pretty well, and Slark was still just a huge problem, even in the late game. We had decent lockdown for it but still none of it was enough. Too much HP from all the items he had.

The most frustrating thing about picks being the issue is that it's always shit you never see coming, either you didn't think about the interaction of the pick, or you picked before it and didn't expect it as a surprise last pick.

An example of what I mean: I want to pick Storm, we have second to last pick, I go ahead and pick it, our team comp looks great otherwise. Other team looks like they don't have room for a Silencer, and then there it is, last fucking pick and it's Silencer mid. Great.

JC Sera

god the music pack sounds soooooo good
ZDsxCCG.gif

If any of you buy it, please tell me how it goes for mixing/transitioning with game tempo
TI5 pack sounds pretty good on its own, but in game its awful and takes me out of the fight

well yeah picks/counterpicks is a very big part of dota dynamics/meta, deal with it
storm can deal with silencer, he may be more annoying in lane and shit, you just need to get your bkb earlier
yeah it's annoying but don't pretend storm isn't annoying either

orchid is probably a pretty good pick against him too, he can't do shit to you if he's silenced

Hylian7

well yeah picks/counterpicks is a very big part of dota dynamics/meta, deal with it
storm can deal with silencer, he may be more annoying in lane and shit, you just need to get your bkb earlier
yeah it's annoying but don't pretend storm isn't annoying either

orchid is probably a pretty good pick against him too, he can't do shit to you if he's silenced
He can ult through zip, making the "always get Silencer with Orchid" strat fall flat. also if you force a Storm to get a BKB, you already made a huge dent in beating him. I still believe that BKB isn't a great item on Storm, and there are better options that do the same thing in conjunction with zips, AND provide further mana regen or functionality.

To name a few:

Euls - gets rid of silences
Linkens - for the instant things you can't dodge with zips

if you find a solo hero then you should totally jump him if silencer has his ult, there's no way that hero can 1v1 you even if you're silenced (with exceptions of course, and depending how early in the game it is)

and then you have a lot of time on your hands when ult is on CD

Top Bottom