• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Thanks for the snarky response that doesn't address what I was saying in any way. In a way I guess that's completely apropos for a Dota thread.

You weren't saying anything, you were just complaining. If you don't expect variance in your teams of 4 random people I don't know what to tell you, and if you win as often as you lose you're very near your proper mmr. Forced 50 doesn't exist, there are plenty of people who solo queue with 60+% win.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
you know what fuck naga, she's the actual worst hero of the game and she always has been
I'd rather watch a techies game than a naga game

ZDsxCCG.gif
ZDsxCCG.gif

seriously look at this shit
perfect counter initiation from navi but then this piece of shit just presses R and fight is won without a casualty
like fuck outta here really, trash hero
play safe 2 minutes, rinse and repeat

Kade

2011: Wow, Na'vi is amazing!
2012: Na'vi pretty damn good!
2013: Na'vi put up a good fight!
2014: What's happening with Na'vi?
2015: Damn, Na'vi sucks!
2016: Remember the Dota 2 team "Na'vi"?

laugh.gif
charm_laugh.gif
laugh.gif
charm_laugh.gif
laugh.gif
charm_laugh.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If no teams will be eliminated during the group stage what is the point of the group stage?

I've watched a decent amount of matches (nowhere near some of you guys) and haven't noticed much variety in drafts.

Has winter wyvern been picked in every match?

Teams are probably going to start banning Gyro more often, having the hero that's picked most often also have one of the highest winrate is insane.

CM with a 90% winrate(10 matches) is also surprising, though I'm blaming that on teams not respecting her ult(but she's a strong hero either way).

I've watched a decent amount of matches (nowhere near some of you guys) and haven't noticed much variety in drafts.

each patch has a meta (heroes that get picked a lot or not at all, but also playstyles), but more specifically every tournament has its own mini meta

seeing people react a day counteract to the heroes that get popular just in that limited tournament can be really fun if they're good drafters and quick thinkers

the variety of heroes seems to be pretty good relative to other tournaments in my recent memory

the real test is the main event and if we're stuck with the same 9 heroes every game

the best example for the tournament meta is sven being picked every game out of nowhere at mlg a few years ago and then never seen again

the best example for every game having the same heroes is last year's international finals

edit high five qfns

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

For better or worse, this happens in every tournament. The players sort of figure out what works against who, and what each team likes to play and then there ends up being a "tournament meta" that really only exists for that tournament. The picks and bans end up falling into patterns as the strong heroes end up as first pick/bans in most games. This eventually gets shaken up by a team deciding to do something crazy (like a pocket strat or something they think counters this dominant strategy) which then either works and shakes up the meta or doesn't and solidifies it.

It's especially bad in the group stages because no one is really eliminated (even though going through in the lower bracket is basically a death sentence, too many killers end up down there for someone in the bottom 4 of a group to hope to win TI). So teams are unlikely to pull out pocket strats or crazy stuff unless they are on the verge of getting top 4 in their group. So this early in the event, no one is going to want to give any extra intel to the other teams.

EDIT: SteveWinwood said basically the same thing above. The main event will be the telling thing. If we get a stale series of heroes like TI4, it might be a bad few months to the next patch. Otherwise, who can say?

That 75 number is higher than I expected. I shouldn't have said decent amount of matches since its most likely around 10 total matches I've watched .

I'm still really surprised wyvern is being picked this frequently though.

Haly

I like how Lesh is singlehandedly fending off 4 heroes with no tower by his side.

Ultrabum

Gyrocopter such a good counter to Dirge. Kills tombstone instantly, kills all the zombies instantly. So good. Also, Naga scepter the breakout strat of the tournament???

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Holy shit, that Ember stat.

7-0 on the Chinese teams, 0-8 on non-Chinese teams... Wtf western Doto, lern 2 embru

Also, Naga scepter the breakout strat of the tournament???

I wish I knew how strats like this developed in the pro scene. Do people practice them in scrims and then just all save them for TI? I feel like every TI within the first handful of games a bunch of heroes that barely registered in the meta before TI emerge. Last year it was a lot of Skywrath and Razor. I didn't see those heroes at all before TI4 group stages and then they were in literally every game.

Haly

I wish I knew how strats like this developed in the pro scene. Do people practice them in scrims and then just all save them for TI? I feel like every TI within the first handful of games a bunch of heroes that barely registered in the meta before TI emerge. Last year it was a lot of Skywrath and Razor. I didn't see those heroes at all before TI4 group stages and then they were in literally every game.

Yes, pretty much.

This is why we see stream silence whenever TI is close. Everyone's saving their strats. A part of me wonders if RTZ spamming Radiance Naga games wasn't just misdirection.

Top Bottom