• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I feel like they could be doing better right now. I miss bruno... never thought I would be saying that

I would not be surprised if Bruno is one of the only reasons this tournament is still alive right now, so I can live without him being on the desk as much as I like the guy.

wtf twitch
crazy.gif
, seems like i better use youtube stream like previous major.

Shinypogs

Bless the Russian production team, I have no idea what their casters/ panel are saying but that stream and the overlays/assets are smooth.

It's partially because while Valve sometimes fucks up, they are usually either leading the way (look at Steam, its features, its sales, its ubiquity, digital games return policy, and its general stability, SteamOS, inventive controllers, etc.). The reality is none of these companies have your best interest at heart, right? They're fuckin businesses, not your parent or spouse. In that context, Valve has earned more trust than any other major playing in gaming today and I think that's a fact more than an opinion.

Yea, this major has been mostly a shit show. But then you take a step back and realize that...wait we have a major at all...and some kids are going to win millions of dollars in less than a week...again. When a few short years ago a $1 million prize was unheard of. And while we all agree that the economy for Dota 2 is in pretty shabby shape now, one can step back and say fairly objectively that Valve's F2P games are the collectively the standard to which all other games that feature micro-transactions are measured. The fact that everyone posting has probably spent more than 1,000 hours in their game clients for Dota2/TF2/CSGo sort of adds necessary context as well.

When you step back from the tree and look at the forest, it's hard to be bearish on Valve. Especially when held up to Blizzard, Riot, EA, Ubisoft and Microsoft and how each fails its own very measurable ways too. I'll take Valve's poor communciation and occasional fuckups as our overlords over any of the above companies controlling PC gaming.

That's the kind of attitude that lets them get away with a lot of stuff, though, because people assume somehow Valve isn't the same sort of business every other corporation is. The only difference is that they're not a public company like EA or MS and not subject to dumbass shareholders, but people assume Valve have their best interests at heart which is silly. Valve's done a lot of stuff that would be seen as very anti-consumer if done by any other company (having exclusives on an open platform, not giving refunds until it seemed like legal rulings would force it, crowdsourcing all their customer support, not taking any efforts to organize their store, launching multiple initiatives like steamOS or steam machines and letting them rot once circumstances shift, etc), but it's seen as benevolent or forward-thinking just because it's Valve and enough people drank the same tech industry libertarian kool aid.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Valve isn't a very competent and successful company, but it's troubling that people assume Valve's mission isn't earning more money. They are doing DOTA tournaments and VR and propping up PC gaming because it is or will be extremely profitable for them, not because they like you or want you to like them.

KingKong

it's a good thing this is a serious event, this panel that's putting me to sleep is really going to draw in new viewers and legitimize the esport

Just keep making Dakota stall until he has a meltdown.

Why did they decide to have a 1.5 hour talkshow. Nobody fucking cares

It's not even a decision, it's just them not being able to get a draft started with everyone loaded in in a reasonable amount of time.

Okay, PSA.

1.09 is Chinese American, so this is kind of like a Seinfeld situation where a comedian makes Jew jokes as a Jew.

Just getting that out there.

Also as a Chinese American I'm with him in that I couldn't care less about a mild a slur as "chink", especially when I know it's totally facetious. I see far, far worse queuing with the kagebros and it's just whatever, you know? You can take the player out of 5k queue but you can't take 5k queue out of the player? Something like that.

we all chinese americans? waow
what about archie?

what do the kagebros call earth spirit pickers?

i dont know what they call me

I just decided to watch ingame and am greeted with what I can only assume is a cockroaches attempt at rapping. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT NOISE!??!?

e: Someone made a video if anyone wants to know what the hell I'm talking about https://vid.me/cOvW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom