• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
I mean thats not what happened and they get plenty of backlash all the time

I mean I know exactly what happened, so sue me, I was being a little hyperbolic, oh no.

Backlash in the moment is nothing. It never sticks. People forgive immediately, and forget not long after. This, despite tons of bad decisions, some anti-consumer, some anti-partner (75% of the funds from items people make? eesh), etc. Nobody caressssssss.

shira

CcgWMwjUUAACMZY.jpg

hype!

gai_shain

I mean I know exactly what happened, so sue me, I was being a little hyperbolic, oh no.

Backlash in the moment is nothing. It never sticks. People forgive immediately, and forget not long after. This, despite tons of bad decisions, some anti-consumer, some anti-partner (75% of the funds from items people make? eesh), etc. Nobody caressssssss.

How would it sticking look like though, it gets brought up everytime there is something with valve. If people dont want to deal with them anymore they can take their business elsewhere, I dont see how else it would work out with "sticking"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shanghai Major

Just a few months after The International, Valve brings you more incredible Dota 2 action with the game's first official Major tournament. Nine days full of epic competition will be brought to you live from Shanghai, China will not only determine who the best team in the world is, but also who takes home the biggest cut of the massive $3,000,000 prize pot.

Click here to watch and chat.

Static image on stream.
laugh.gif

shira

I think that's just EG after it was cancelled.

It seems the Chinese teams didn't want to go at all from the start.

In PPDs vlog he mentioned there are no practice PC's in the stadium. So it's not wanting to be there, it's wanting to practice for tomorrw.

Hot damn, Valve.

This was briefly brought up on James Day, but I really do wonder exactly what it's going to take for people to start actively demanding better from Valve. I mean, I understand that they're not directly responsible for every single one of these fuck ups, but c'mon. And it's not like their track record with Steam is perfect (giving away everyone's address over Christmas was a nice bonus).

I like Valve a lot and think they've done a ton of good for PC gaming, but fuck if they don't need someone taking them to task for some of the shit they do...

I feel like the only proper takedown/critique of Valve was by that one guy who pointed out that Valve really doesn't really respect the people it brings into its ecosystem and has a generally exploitative attitude towards the "community" that they crowdsource things to. Not just crowdfunding like the compendiums but things like steam workshop and paid mods and curators and whatnot. There's a sort of attitude from Valve that any problem can be crowdsourced or innovated away, and if there's something that those solutions can't fix then well they weren't real problems anyways (like customer support or community management).

Gaming side Valve arguments either come down to "lord GabeN PC master race" or "fuck valve where's HL3", which is unfortunate

Russ T

Banned
How would it sticking look like though, it gets brought up everytime there is something with valve. If people dont want to deal with them anymore they can take their business elsewhere, I dont see how else it would work out with "sticking"

I dunno man I ain't no seer, I can't see the futures, potential or otherwise!

It's not like people CAN take their business elsewhere. The best option is GOG, but they don't get everything. Nobody does. The vast majority of PC games go through Steam, and many of them are exclusive...

I feel like the only proper takedown/critique of Valve was by that one guy who pointed out that Valve really doesn't really respect the people it brings into its ecosystem and has a generally exploitative attitude towards the "community" that they crowdsource things to. Not just crowdfunding like the compendiums but things like steam workshop and paid mods and curators and whatnot. There's a sort of attitude from Valve that any problem can be crowdsourced or innovated away, and if there's something that those solutions can't fix then well they weren't real problems anyways (like customer support or community management).

Yeah, that's definitely an accurate description of how I see Valve these days. I don't think most of these things are bad in and of themselves, like paying people for making cosmetics? Awesome! ...Why does Valve need such a big cut? They're fucking rich as hell just from Steam alone. It's like they have all these good ideas, and then never go all the way to making them great. Or they do them in such a way that it seems good at first until it goes on for a while and then it becomes pretty blatant they're just exploiting people.

Bleh.

Gaming side Valve arguments either come down to "lord GabeN PC master race" or "fuck valve where's HL3", which is unfortunate

Man, ain't that the truth.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The problem with trying to take Valve to task for this shit is that nobody at that company is even in a position to listen and respond to fan duress aside from Gaben himself and he only comes out of the woodwork to fire quality hosts. He doesn't give a shit about Dota.

I feel that expolitative attitude bit. I generally like the idea of crowdsourcing and the like, but Valve seems to be convinced that they can simply outsource everything and it'll be no issue for them even if it goes south.

Too many people let them off on the sheer amount of stupid shit they partake in.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Was the delay to try and fill some of the empty seats? If so the delay should have been longer.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah it's definitely accurate that their number one problem is the almost complete lack of communication. In both directions. The only time they really listen to their customers is when some sort of mass movement happens. Then they very rarely offer up information of their own free will. They need to open up a dialogue!

It's partially because while Valve sometimes fucks up, they are usually either leading the way (look at Steam, its features, its sales, its ubiquity, digital games return policy, and its general stability, SteamOS, inventive controllers, etc.). The reality is none of these companies have your best interest at heart, right? They're fuckin businesses, not your parent or spouse. In that context, Valve has earned more trust than any other major playing in gaming today and I think that's a fact more than an opinion.

Yea, this major has been mostly a shit show. But then you take a step back and realize that...wait we have a major at all...and some kids are going to win millions of dollars in less than a week...again. When a few short years ago a $1 million prize was unheard of. And while we all agree that the economy for Dota 2 is in pretty shabby shape now, one can step back and say fairly objectively that Valve's F2P games are the collectively the standard to which all other games that feature micro-transactions are measured. The fact that everyone posting has probably spent more than 1,000 hours in their game clients for Dota2/TF2/CSGo sort of adds necessary context as well.

When you step back from the tree and look at the forest, it's hard to be bearish on Valve. Especially when held up to Blizzard, Riot, EA, Ubisoft and Microsoft and how each fails its own very measurable ways too. I'll take Valve's poor communciation and occasional fuckups as our overlords over any of the above companies controlling PC gaming.

Baha

Russian stream is making the English stream look like amateur hour, it's smooth (no lag) and it's ahead of the English stream.

never have I seen such a fantastic display of doto
When you step back from the tree and look at the forest, it's hard to be bearish on Valve. Especially when held up to Blizzard, Riot, EA, Ubisoft and Microsoft and how each fails its own very measurable ways too. I'll take Valve's poor communciation and occasional fuckups as our overlords over any of the above companies controlling PC gaming.
I don't realy disagree with the sentiment, but that isn't good reason not to condemn valve for their fuck ups. I'll never be aligned with the "well we should be thankful it's not worse!" thing as an excuse to smother legitimate complaints. But I don't think that's how you mean it, despite seeing that from others semifrequently.

Shinypogs

They should have made the opening mandatory. Just like "sit under your fucking team banner for maybe a half hour til the opening happens and then if you wanna leave to go practice or just go back to the hotel because you don't play today then fine."

manfestival

Why in the world do they always have to wear business casual clothing and jackets? This is dota 2 and not ESPN. for crying out loud this is disgusting

JudgeN

They should have made the opening mandatory. Just like "sit under your fucking team banner for maybe a half hour til the opening happens and then if you wanna leave to go practice or just go back to the hotel because you don't play today then fine."

Amen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom