• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzm

I am also in. Skills have probably decayed a shitton with the lower rate of play, but I'd sink a ton more time into this for a tourney.

Cool, the more the merrier. I guess at some point within the next couple weeks we can have a registration or something (still need to think out a lot of the details, as we hadn't planned too much and currently just wanted to see if there was community interest).

Now all that's left is rescuing Team Trasher from the maw of WoW.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
To add onto bzm's post, it'd just be a cool little amateur tournament specifically for GAFfers. Me and bzm (and possibly a few others) will put down a small amount of prize money (somewhere around $75 - $200), no entry fee, just something neat and fun for the community over the course of one or two days. Would definitely be streamed and commentated. We get a kick out of watching GAFfers stream and this is like taking it to the next step.

Not sure on any details aside from the above (what mode, how long will it go for, format, etc.), but it's something we wouldn't mind getting off the ground in the near future.
Maybe do some gaffer teams, and try to invite some off the teams from MLG to not, make it totally insular.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just include some WoW related stuff as part of the prize pool.

Cosmetics and shit.

HATS.

Dahbomb

I need a mode that has bans that isn't captains mode. I can't always get a five stack together even with 120 Steam friends and there's no way I'm risking getting a captain who barely cares and just picks at random so he can play Void or whatever
It's called Captain's Draft.

I am down for a GAF Low/Mid tier tourney.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cool, the more the merrier. I guess at some point within the next couple weeks we can have a registration or something (still need to think out a lot of the details, as we hadn't planned too much and currently just wanted to see if there was community interest).

Now all that's left is rescuing Team Trasher from the maw of WoW.

I'm in. I'll work on Team Trasher but no promises. Actually what'll happen is I'll revive it and I'll get kicked out for Tipul or something lol

Anyway, milk and I were talking and we have an idea we want to run by you all.
We want to have a mid-tier gaf tourney, and we were willing to throw some money into a pot for it. We think it would be a lot of fun to have the not-us teams play each other, since competition wouldn't be only rollovers, and you all could learn a lot from each other about drafting and playing cm and whatnot.

Anyone interested?

Say when, I'm in. But you should probably make it 100% GAF members only. You will run into too many problems any other way.

Kard8p3

Say when, I'm in. But you should probably make it 100% GAF members only. You will run into too many problems any other way.

Going to have to disagree. As long as one GAF member heads the group, I don't really see the problem. Besides, might not have enough members for 100% GAF, and forcing members to play together who haven't in the past might be a bad idea.

bzm

If we can find enough people to do that and still have enough teams, I'm all for it. But I'm a bit concerned that we won't be able to pull it off. That and I don't mind people like Technomancer having 1 nongaf friend with them.

Again, as long as its just gaffers and the friends they normally play with I don't see much of a problem. Just no nerding out and sucking merlinis dick for a carry.

ksan

If we can find enough people to do that and still have enough teams, I'm all for it. But I'm a bit concerned that we won't be able to pull it off. That and I don't mind people like Technomancer having 1 nongaf friend with them.

Again, as long as its just gaffers and the friends they normally play with I don't see much of a problem. Just no nerding out and sucking merlinis dick for a carry.

that's probably the most reasonable way to run a tourney

Purely DotaGAF regulars could probably form 4 teams or so, if not more. Between GAF and friends at least 8 teams for a tournament is probably feasible.

I'd be down to play.

G.ZZZ

I have a team of italian moochers who smoke weed all day and leech state benefits to survive who i play regularly with. Problem is they'd never be on time for anything and they ask for pauses every 3 minutes to go buy filters and cigs and more weed. One of those could be regularly in, but i don't think he would like to play in a tournament setting. So yeah, i'm pretty much by myself, unless i ressurect my old IBDTM team, but i have no idea what my german teammates are doing now in their life.

I have a team but I'm the only person on it with a GAF account. I'd rather play using that team, but how would dota-gaf feel about a team with only 1 gaffer on it winning?

And we already got wrecked by Milks team. Our reward should be not having to play them again.

shira

We want to have a mid-tier gaf tourney, and we were willing to throw some money into a pot for it. We think it would be a lot of fun to have the not-us teams play each other, since competition wouldn't be only rollovers, and you all could learn a lot from each other about drafting and playing cm and whatnot.

Anyone interested?

I'll play. Someone make an OT thread in Gaming, there are alot more people who play Dota than who post here. I think time is a problem though. Not everyone has 2-3 hours to set aside for scheduled games which is what makes the inhouses so appealing.

Shepard

Ending 30/4 on weaver just to see my team feed all the way through the game (including 2 lv 11 heroes contantly "ganking" the enemy team, who was on average 4 or 5 levels higher than them). Pub matchmaking is brutal.

Kard8p3

I have a team but I'm the only person on it with a GAF account. I'd rather play using that team, but how would dota-gaf feel about a team with only 1 gaffer on it winning?

And we already got wrecked by Milks team. Our reward should be not having to play them again.

I'm in the same situation as you, along with being wrecked, lol.

bzm

That confidence tho.

But I don't know. To me that sounds okay, but are the other teams okay with it? I'm open to all suggestions so I would like to hear everyone's opinions on this.

That confidence tho.

But I don't know. To me that sounds okay, but are the other teams okay with it? I'm open to all suggestions so I would like to hear everyone's opinions on this.

We did get first blood on them though. We were feeling pretty good about the match at that point. Next thing I knew it was 32-1.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I

don't

get

it

1ujrCas.png

We pushed as fast as we could. We had both Lesh and Shadow Shaman, both great pushers, we took towers fast. We had a rax by thirty minutes and another by forty. We still couldn't end it fast enough.

I mean what the fuck are you supposed to do? I don't see how you push fast enough unless you also have Pugna and Natures Prophet. Which you're never going to get in a mode that isn't All Pick. Except in AP no-one is going to pick lancer until the last second anyway so then you would just have to always play that four man hyper push strat constantly just in case. Which would get boring as shit incredibly fast.

How the hell do you take the Ancient before Lancer turns on? You can't dedicate two guys to killing him over and over without losing the rest of the map, and thats what you do need to do to keep him from farming, even giving him ten minutes is too much.
The problem is they had 5 good players and you had 2.5(?)

You don't stop an OD that has infinity INT. Your Bat can't have 1 kill. You need all outer towers by like 20 or 25 minutes, ward the jungle, buy a gem, smoke / SB on SS to hex and shackles PL.

They also had a fuckton more disable and hard disable.

Anyone interested?
That sounds good to me. How 'okay' tier are we talking about? Also get numbers first of who will play before we drag others in imo.

If we have 4 teams we could just do a RR, or a double elim bracket.

I want to play, but I also want to cast / do production. I can bring in another commentator/stramer as well if need be (He does DOTA Radio).

Vaporak

Anyone interested?

I'm down, how would the teams get organized though?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Milk and I came to the decision Anbokr is allowed to play, cuz hes trash.
Also, no offense to the other high level players out there like pillow, etc, but you guys are banned as well.

it's ok bro i will tastefully resign so i don't steal your pizza money like procarbine snatchin a purse

bzm

That sounds good to me. How 'okay' tier are we talking about? Also get numbers first of who will play before we drag others in imo.

If we have 4 teams we could just do a RR for fun or something.

I want to play, but I also want to cast / do production. I can bring in another commentator/stramer as well if need be (He does DOTA Radio).

If you consider yourself in a skill bracket above the general gaf population then I'm going to go ahead and ask that you refrain from signing up. That's about it though.

P.S. Everyone needs to be on the watch for Meeru.

Edit: And about the production/streaming stuff, we don't have any real plans right now. Any contributions are welcome, but other people have asked to be involved with that so you will have to work it out with them as well.
So when would it be?
Probably not this month, sometime soon after maybe? Not too sure yet.

I'm down, how would the teams get organized though?
What do you mean? I figured you guys would all find your cliques and play with them.

Razzer

Anyone interested?

Bit late but hell yes would I be interested! I probably fall on the lower end of medium (if at all) but I'd certainly be up to try anyway. There are lots of people who would like to learn to draft etc more strategically I bet, and playing in a semi-competitive environment is more satisfying than any old pub in my opinion in any sport/game. So yeah +1 here.

bzm

Bit late but hell yes would I be interested! I probably fall on the lower end of medium (if at all) but I'd certainly be up to try anyway. There are lots of people who would like to learn to draft etc more strategically I bet, and playing in a semi-competitive environment is more satisfying than any old pub in my opinion in any sport/game. So yeah +1 here.

Not too late at all, it's not even going to happen for awhile!
But I'm glad you're interested, it's nice to see this kind of response from everyone.

Volodja

I'm in and I'm pretty sure with at least 3 more: Rezuth, Milabrega and 1 non gaffer.
We can probably find a 5th too but I haven't had the occasion to ask yet.

Razzer

BTW Shira is right that you should make a thread in Gaming to see who else is interested. We are far from the only people on GAF who play, as shown by all of the people who come out of the woodwork whenever someone posts something DOTA related over there. Hell, don't a couple of mods play DOTA occasionally? We could invite them, make it into something people on GAF who don't even play DOTA can get involved in by rooting for posters they like.

bzm

BTW Shira is right that you should make a thread in Gaming to see who else is interested. We are far from the only people on GAF who play, as shown by all of the people who come out of the woodwork whenever someone posts something DOTA related over there. Hell, don't a couple of mods play DOTA occasionally? We could invite them, make it into something people on GAF who don't even play DOTA can get involved in by rooting for posters they like.

I'll talk it over with milk / some others. One problem though is that we all have a general idea of where the posters in this thread sit skill-wise, but don't know about random other gaffers who don't come here. It's mostly supposed to be a community thing anyway, but we will consider it.

Hell, don't a couple of mods play DOTA occasionally?
The Tre`rider is legendary.

Dahbomb

The only thing I would recommend is that you guys have a strict schedule for matches and players who don't show up on team are disqualified. I have been part of some GAF tournaments and they always end up going over time because people have work and shit so you end up waiting days for people to have free time.

The Dive Kick GAF tournament was supposed to be done on a weekend. It ended up taking a whole month...

Razzer

I'll talk it over with milk / some others. One problem though is that we all have a general idea of where the posters in this thread sit skill-wise, but don't know about random other gaffers who don't come here. It's mostly supposed to be a community thing anyway, but we will consider it.

The Tre`rider is legendary.

Fair enough, I just remember when the giantbomb tourney was on some non-Dota fellas were posting and watching, and I think they enjoyed it. Ditto for the TI3 thread. As for the skill problem, maybe during registration you ask them to play a game or two with someone to gauge whether they are too good or not? That might be too much work though I guess.

What is Tre'rider?

bzm

Fair enough, I just remember when the giantbomb tourney was on some non-Dota fellas were posting and watching, and I think they enjoyed it. Ditto for the TI3 thread. As for the skill problem, maybe during registration you ask them to play a game or two with someone to gauge whether they are too good or not? That might be too much work though I guess.

What is Tre'rider?

It's Tre`s batrider of course. He won't ever admit he plays this game, but we all know he does. He has even banned me in this very thread multiple times!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How bad am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom