• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slark is a toss up. Its basically a 4 second semi invulnerability but after that you are vulnerable as hell. People won't bother trying to get detection against him but instead save up for that Ghost Scepter. The CD is really long on it which is what makes him really vulnerable.

This new change makes Slark worse in pubs (where people don't get gems/sentries) but better in high level games where they have detection and then immediately disable you. At least now for 4 seconds you are god.

The thing is that Ghost Scepter in this scenario is reactive based to when Slark ults, whereas Slark has a lot more leeway ti be selective about when he decides to pop it, so he still has a measure of control in that situation.

Hylian7

I think the point of the new match ready sound is to have a longer one that constantly alerts people that might be AFK rather than a short one that if you aren't immediately in earshot when it plays, you miss it.

That said I still miss the old one.

shira

18-1

DK disband

i6dwLrBhD8oOe.gif

isn't this the first time they're playing iG? iG is much better than the other teams they've played

Nah, DK stomped them in 6.78 WPEC-ACE league

I think DK is being a little too stubborn/confident about their skill. They're not really trying anything new with the patch, and it seems like they thought they could just win off their skill.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I really like Slark's new ulti. I've seen a lot of people complain about it, saying it's a total downgrade, but I'm not so sure. It's a lot stronger now in mid game, where before a gem would surface and ruin your fun. I know I'll definitely be playing him more.

It's not like you were going to be fighting so often that you'd need Shadow Dance more than once a minute anyway. And if you're getting BKB on Slark like you should be, he's a beast.

KingKong

so from watching these pro games, seems like the Nyx impale change was a pretty big nerf. Maybe people need to get used to it but the best players in the world were missing their impales

Rookje

Is this one of the biggest patches in DOTA history?

I think they made a huge mistake with how big this patch is. Its so many changes its hard to say what the outcome is. There's a reason why Blizzard tries to only do small iterative changes lately instead of a huge list of changes.

Sibylus

Banned

I think they made a huge mistake with how big this patch is. Its so many changes its hard to say what the outcome is. There's a reason why Blizzard tries to only do small iterative changes lately instead of a huge list of changes.
Not entirely sure many people are happy with Blizzard's balancing efforts, tbh, SC2 in particular. Takes eons for them to come to the point of saying, "oh right, nobody uses these units or these strategies, we'll fix them".

The reason being that if something is OP in dota 2 it can be banned out quickly whereas in starcraft you're up shit creek without a paddle.

It's the most significant patch in the last 2 years, if not longer. Lots of huge core mechanic changed besides all the hero stuff which is pretty meaty here as well.

Lotto

Dota seems to be a game that happily embraces chaos and flux. Sure there will be small balance patches here and there, but there always seems to be 1 or 2 big ones throughout the year. It's a very risky approach to a game this big, but it's also a very refreshing one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

It's intentional, Icefrog doesn't want to know what the outcome is ahead of time, but shake things up and let players figure it out. It's one of the things that keeps DOTA from stagnating.

And he can always hotfix if something is problematic, and potential problematic heroes are kept out of CM, the competitive mode, so everyone's happy.

Not to mention his testers are pretty extensive seeing as how they have a half a year to a year to iron out the worst offenders. While Blizzard and Riot prefer to make small changes and see how the community responds to each patch, Icefrog probably makes a lot of small changes over a long time internally, and then releases all of it at once.

Instead of comparing it to Blizzard or Riot, think of it like Magic the Gathering and how every year one set rotates in while another set rotates out and everyone gets to "figure out the meta" all over again. Except with DOTA2, Icefrog can still fine tune if it's absolutely necessary.

Rookje

It's intentional, Icefrog doesn't want to know what the outcome is ahead of time, but shake things up and let players figure it out. It's one of the things that keeps DOTA from stagnating.

And he can always hotfix if something is problematic, and potential problematic heroes are kept out of CM, the competitive mode, so everyone's happy.

Not to mention his testers are pretty extensive seeing as how they have a half a year to a year to iron out the worst offenders. While Blizzard and Riot prefer to make small changes and see how the community responds to each patch, Icefrog probably makes a lot of small changes over a long time internally, and then releases all of it at once.

Instead of comparing it to Blizzard or Riot, think of it like Magic the Gathering and how every year one set rotates in while another set rotates out and everyone gets to "figure out the meta" all over again. Except with DOTA2, Icefrog can still fine tune if it's absolutely necessary.
IDK, maybe for the higher end player. But for the guy who doesn't read the patch notes, or queues a few games every week its annoying seeing someone say "Lol noob why'd you pick X, he sucks now." It becomes a roller coaster of change. I'm not even sure the best way to play right now. Some heroes may have changed from being offlaners to strong mids.

Anteo

IDK, maybe for the higher end player. But for the guy who doesn't read the patch notes, or queues a few games every week its annoying seeing someone say "Lol noob why'd you pick X, he sucks now." It becomes a roller coaster of change. I'm not even sure the best way to play right now. Some heroes may have changed from being offlaners to strong mids.

You either get use to it or drop the game.
After so many years of this, I expect patch to shake up things. If they started to do 2-6 hero patches it would be really really disappointing to me

Boken

Banned

gb2 single player games old man

edit: god dammit anteo

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Sure, if you queued like, one game every 6 months.

It'd be strange, however, for most regular players to completely miss out on this patch considering how little has changed in DOTA2 since the last hero was released (Abbadon?). The hype was palpable.

I mean shit, when I quit League for 6 months and went back the whole game changed and I just took a few days to refamiliarize myself with it.

And people are going to flame you anyway, this patch is just one excuse of many.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

If you play a few games a week you should prolly read patch notes.

fiore

Banned
There is no middle ground. Its either noob or pro. So you gotta do that research

Hylian7

If you play a few games a week you should prolly read patch notes.

I'm not so sure that's the issue. I think it's more in line of complaining that Dota is too complex.

Dota is a complicated beast, you have to learn it. The most important thing is that you are never finished learning things.

Anteo

Nyx stun is so hard to land now. If you are too close, they can walk past you mid cast, if you are too far away they can run after they see the animation.

Dahbomb

So who's bottom 5 now in the new patch?

And yeah the Nyx change is fairly big buff, you have to be on point with that stun. Have had that stun miss against all day long when someone else picked Nyx.

Ketch

Well, that was pretty fun. In my defense, I almost killed pudge like 3 times. I haven't played mirana in forever, and her base damage is super low. Umm lets see... we didn't have any wards, there was no communication on our team, two of our players were russian, Lich KS me like every time
and also I am horribly bad

sixghost

What do you guys think about the new tranquils on clockwerk? I used to go treads or mana boots before, but the new tranquils seem perfect for him since you're basically roaming once you get 6.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What do you guys think about the new tranquils on clockwerk? I used to go treads or mana boots before, but the new tranquils seem perfect for him since you're basically roaming once you get 6.

All I know is the boots heal you crazy fast. I wonder it may actually be viable to buy a pair on top of anther set of boots for any hero who is spending a large amount of time roaming. Its twice as good as ring of Heath when active, and only 100 gold more, but they break oh so easily.

Wok

They're still really fast when broken, and even faster when you're roaming unless you decide to randomly attack stuff on your way to a different lane. It only helps you be aggressive.

Not to mention the regen is ridiculous.

When you are mid, you cannot use the boots as free tango anymore, but maybe I need to adapt and check the higher health regeneration rate.

About Lich, I think there are new animation cancellings for the ultimate spell and this would explain why I have missed some of them.

G.ZZZ

Guys i called in sick this morning. Gonna play all day fuck all and this shitty weather :D

Sad i missed an IH yesterday, damn time zones, i would've liked to net some ez wins.

EDIT: Tranquils are ridicolously good. CM feel even stronger now, i wouldn't be surprised if she were top WR% in pubs after Zeus this version.

EDIT2: actually Zeus winrate fell in pubs wow. Now necro's 1st i think, with 57.3% or smth ridicolous like that.

EDIT3: Lmao 58.5% win rate death prophet. She see the nerf in her future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom