• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of that VG deathball, it might be worth it picking up AA if you can see something like that coming early enough. Maybe even put him mid because the Aghs upgrade is stupidly good since you can make teams unable to fight ~50% of the time.

Also - Healing Ward should give a bounty, even if it's small.

And I feel like that unless you need the stats, Phase Boots are a lot better than Treads at the moment. Particularly on melee heroes. It might not even be worth upgrading boots at all until you can afford Travels on most carries (which hearkens WAYYYY back to some early WC3 Dota.)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Played a Captains draft game last night with a 3 stack, got paired with a 2. I always take captain because people out there are fucking abominable drafters. But I always ask people what they like to play and try to make it work. But this guy kept demanding Medusa, and only spoke up after I drafted Alch as hard carry. I explained several times over voice and text why I didn't think medusa was a good pick, and asking what he wanted. He just kept saying Medusa.

Game started and the two rage at us and abandon immediately. I apologized to the other team, a 5 stack, who complimented my draft. That felt nice.

eznark

Banned
What's MLG's logic behind not making the Columbus qualifier stream available on mobile? Or is that a Twitch mobile limitation?

GorillaJu

I'm really confused... sometimes I get the slow repeating drums when the queue pops, sometimes I get the old style sound clip. What giveth?

I really wish they would remove juggernauts crit with another skill ability related to pushing so players would realize that juggernaut is a pushing hero not a right clicker. Just played a game where I went the usually pms, phase, django, aghs and my team scrutinized my build by saying that juggs is a right clicker because of his crit, and that I should have built for right click late game items, even though we had a clear early game pushing lineup

Hung_real

I'm ready to be a master crafter volvo

ZXIFhf6.png

I'm really confused... sometimes I get the slow repeating drums when the queue pops, sometimes I get the old style sound clip. What giveth?

They changed the original sound

then changed it back with a patch last night

then they rerolled the patch

then finally a new patch this morning to restore the old sound

GorillaJu

quality of games has really gone up for me since the patch. Maybe it's just the fact that supports have more gold now so there's longer, better fights.

Only thing I'm not a fan of so far is Broodmother's new web mechanic. I'm convinced it's some pre-diretide Halloween joke.

Ketch

I have way more losses then wins... Like 90L / 75W. That's pretty bad I think.

I think maybe it's because I try out too many different heroes instead of sticking with like my best 3 or 4.

F!ReW!Re

I think maybe it's because I try out too many different heroes instead of sticking with like my best 3 or 4.

I would recommend trying out heroes you've never played in a co-op bot game a couple of times. Also kind of shitty if people have to play with you and you have no clue how to play your hero.
I mean you'll be lucky if you end up on top or you get 4 randoms to carry you to victory, but else you'll be kind of screwing them over into a guaranteed loss..
Playing a few co-op bot games per heroes would certainly even out those wins/losses.

GorillaJu

It's only bad if you aren't enjoying it and learning as you go. Valve has tried their best to make it possible for players to be anonymous and keep their stats to themselves, so you never have to make it known to others if you don't want to.

Great game from Na'Vi and Alliance

Ketch

Also kind of shitty if people have to play with you and you have no clue how to play your hero.

Oh man, I do this a lot, but I've never felt bad about it until now.

So it's really not ok to play new heroes? What do you when none of "your" heroes are in the draft?

Ugh. I don't want make my team loose but playing the same heroes all the time has got to be boring as shit.

It's only bad if you aren't enjoying it and learning as you go. Valve has tried their best to make it possible for players to be anonymous and keep their stats to themselves, so you never have to make it known to others if you don't want.

This makes me feel better, thanks.

Maybe I'll change my steam name to "Sorry Teammates".

F!ReW!Re

So it's really not ok to play new heroes? What do you when none of "your" heroes are in the draft?

Ugh. I don't want make my team loose but playing the same heroes all the time has got to be boring as shit.

Well look ofcourse there has to be a first for any hero you play.
But the amount of games where I had people go "first time playing hero x" and we actually winning it is probably below 10-15 out of 1200+ games.
I mean you need to start somewhere, but just take your time, try out the hero solo in a botmatch, check-out different builds, then switch to some co-op bot matches and then use them in a normal game.

Even after the "practice" in those bot matches, there's definitely no guarantee you know how to play the hero. Trying and losing is ok, but having never played a hero (seen it's skills) is kind of securing a loss for your team/the people you are playing with.
Maybe I shouldn't be talking and you can do whatever the F you want, but I also think it must be frustrating for you :)

Just tell your team you never played.
9 times outta 10 theyll be cool and help you.

that DOES NOT mean when I ask in captains mode "can anyone Chen" you say yes and then say after I drafted say this is my first time!

GorillaJu

Also it's good to try out lots of heroes. No matter what you do, Dota has a tough learning curve, and while it's nice to really master one hero, or a handful, you really need the varied experience to teach you about the abilities that other heroes possess. Basically, you need to have some idea of what to expect from your opponents just as much as you need to know what to do yourself, and while you'll start to get the hang of how enemy heroes' abilities work just by playing against them, it'll take much less time if you do try them out yourself. You need to be able to feel the range restrictions, animation speeds and so on, of the hero to understand what you're up against.

If you really have no idea what you're doing, then you're going to be playing with other people who also don't have any idea what they're doing. People may talk a lot of shit, but if they're queued in with you, chances are high they're just as new and uneducated as you are.

People in all brackets have to deal with shit-talkers though, so regardless of how well you know your hero, you're going to get people on your case. I just had a game tonight where I went mid Lesh, bought my team's courier, kept wards up, killed my lane opponent twice before 5 minutes had past, stayed alive despite gank attempts from their supports and generally destroyed the enemy team, ending 23-4 or so. Yet the Drow (wanted offlane solo) and WR (wanted safe lane support) shit-talked me all game, from start to finish with no rhyme or reason. So if people just talk shit to you, remember its their problem, and not yours.

ViviOggi

Eh, with these few games and that subpar winrate you're still deep in the trench where everyone except smurfs (who don't stay there for long) sucks beyond comprehension, just the fact that you're thinking about this stuff makes you a better player than 80% of the ones you'll meet there.

I wouldn't get too worried about it, playing bot games to get used to a particular hero's skillset is always good but checking a quick guide and reading the skill descriptions before the game starts should be enough for the time being. There are so many general, hero-independent systems and mechanics you don't graps that it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I'd say if you want to spend time learning Dotes outside of just playing matchmaking checking out some educational videos like Purge's (and his "Welcome to Dota" guide if you haven't yet) helps tremendously. There are so many things to exploit and pay attention to which a newer player can't really see without someone else pointing them out.

Also make it a habit to click on heroes! If you're not sure about their skills you can obviously always check them that way and knowing which items they're building is absolutely critical at any skill level. If anyone shittalks don't hesitate to hit the mute button, the chance that you'd get helpful input from these people at any point in the match is zero.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Random question, what happens in Captain's Mode if you use up all your reserve time before you finish drafting? Does it start subtracting starting gold or something?

F!ReW!Re

Random question, what happens in Captain's Mode if you use up all your reserve time before you finish drafting? Does it start subtracting starting gold or something?

I think it randoms the current pick.
And in Captain's Draft it randoms the remaining heroes if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom