• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I really want more Naix sets. Also anticipating Clockwerk stuff.

I really want to try to make a Clockwerk set, but that Reddit post criticizing the workshop has really dampened my spirits about it. When is the model going to be available anyways?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Speaking of win rates, 31% on Earth Spirit jesus christ.

I hope Icefraud takes notice and buffs him. If not reversing the 6.80 changes, then at least a large numbers buff.

ib1eccQGyfFDwV.png

Literally keeping Earth Spirit's 6.80 win rate in the 30s.

I hope Icefraud takes notice and buffs him. If not reversing the 6.80 changes, then at least a large numbers buff.

ib1eccQGyfFDwV.png

His WR was always low because he's hard to use. But for those who could use him, he was a problem.

Haly

His WR was always low because he's hard to use. But for those who could use him, he was a problem.

I honestly feel Ember is harder to use than the old Earth, although that might just be because I haven't played Ember that much.

Well, self-correction, Ember is harder to play at his peak. The baseline execution needed for success is not as high as Earth's.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
who knew push heroes tend to win games early and farming hard carries tend to win games late????

design flaw icefraud plz

That thing shows that even in the late game Lycan still wins half his games, which to me suggests he may be too good. But then again, I think heroes who can kill towers very quickly solo naturally have an advantage in pub games.

I think Lycan's Howl is really just too good still. And Lycan doesn't really need to get Bonus HP when he ults.

Haly

Lycan to be nerfed to the ground again. Incoming bokr tears.

who knew push heroes tend to win games early and farming hard carries tend to win games late????

design flaw icefraud plz
Was thinking the same. I'm not sure what to take from information that says pushing heroes tend to be the reason for games ending early. Seems like that's the point of them, just as hard carries tend to beat them if the game can be delayed to last that long.

M.D

gahh i kinda want to play

but solo que is so bad i really shouldn't do it

but sometimes you get a nice team and those are some of the best games

ok lets play solo que

what the fuck was i thinking

Haly

Was thinking the same. I'm not sure what to take from information that says pushing heroes tend to be the reason for games ending early. Seems like that's the point of them, just as hard carries tend to beat them if the game can be delayed to last that long.

This was the top 15 for short games in 6.78

durationoverview1.png

The point was to highlight just how drastic a reversal the pub meta has made since 6.79's trilane nerf and 6.8's pushing buff. A scant 5 heroes are all the top 15 lists share. The only hero out of those 5 whose win rate has gone up was Death Prophet. Chen remained the same, Tree fell by 4 percent (expected), Brood fell (also expected), and Furion fell slightly. Meaning that games are skewing heavily towards early or late more than ever.

(Not that I really care what Icefraud decides to do with this, I just like numbeeeeeeeeeers.)

Dec

Just wondering if anyone else watches less Dota than they would because Zyori is a terrible caster?

Because he annoys the shit out of me.

Ya, I wont watch a game with LD, Zyori, Lysander, Ayesee, or Capitalist casting, unless something crazy happened then I might watch the VOD.

They just annoy me and there's really not a shortage of games to watch. Just sometimes I'll load up twitch, look at the Dota section and only see LD or Zyori casting and just not bother.

Rather load up some Dreamleague VODs or catch up on some XMG cd games I missed.

manfestival

whoever that dude with dreads that does casting really sucks. I refuse to watch a stream that he is casting. I dont care for sheevers casting either.

im sure there are others but usually tournaments are going while im at work

I made a suggestion on the dev forums about Earth Spirits Q:

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=129591

Didn't go down well but w/e. I was trying to explain that it wasn't really about making the skill more reliable but just less awkward to use, so pub earth spirits are less likely to whiff stuns on stationery targets by kicking the boulder off at 45 degrees.

I definitely don't think they should buff him though since he's still really strong mainly because of his ulti which is wreckage.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Lycan to be nerfed to the ground again. Incoming bokr tears.

bro I barely touched Lycan in 6.74 when he was crazy OP, and I played the shit out of him in 6.75 when everyone thought he was ass

I couldn't care less

Lycan's always been a pub winner, like Duesy said its like playing a single player game. That's just his nature, he's the best hero to carry your team with lone wolf style. The problem is keeping him competitively relevant.

Haly

Didn't go down well but w/e. I was trying to explain that it wasn't really about making the skill more reliable but just less awkward to use, so pub earth spirits are less likely to whiff stuns on stationery targets by kicking the boulder off at 45 degrees.

It's well intentioned but goes against the design of Earth Spirit, which is a powerful hero with a very high execution. Recall, the 6.80 nerf was actually to his execution and not his overall damage output, which only changed slightly. At the moment, he is like Invoker, and your suggestion is akin to asking for single hotkeys for his invoked spells. He would be far too strong (as 6.79 showed) if his stun, arguably his strongest or second strongest skill, was as easy to use as the change you proposed. I would be in favor of, however, changes to his auto-attacking AI when setting Stone Remnant because I notice Earth Spirit has a tendency to move right after plopping down a remnant and it messes up kicks very often.

Haly

Invoker too :( it's like ive gone back in time. Fucking invoker stealing all my mana every game, that hero should never get buffs, ever.

I could see the EMP changes being reversed but honestly, when I stroll into mid I'm more scared of QE than QW. QW takes a lot of work to pull off which, I guess, is more pertinent to your bracket than mine, but I feel relatively safe against QW.

I also feel stronger playing as QE, because of the presence he exerts in his lane and in other lanes, something QW lacks entirely.
loki2heavy

SO heavy.

Demoli

just lost a game bcause someone from my team refused to have the cour leave the secret shop, and i couldnt out dps a tiny in the end.

God i hate dota.

Haly

Lycanmaster. For his W, he summons Lycan to splitpush.

It's well intentioned but goes against the design of Earth Spirit, which is a powerful hero with a very high execution. Recall, the 6.80 nerf was actually to his execution and not his overall damage output, which only changed slightly. At the moment, he is like Invoker, and your suggestion is akin to asking for single hotkeys for his invoked spells. He would be far too strong (as 6.79 showed) if his stun, arguably his strongest or second strongest skill, was as easy to use as the change you proposed. I would be in favor of, however, changes to his auto-attacking AI when setting Stone Remnant because I notice Earth Spirit has a tendency to move right after plopping down a remnant and it messes up kicks very often.

But execution barriers aren't usually considered when balancing heroes. If boulder smash is OP in the hands of someone who can aim it well then... doesn't that just mean the skill is OP? The invoker analogy is a good one but kind of makes this point for me, since no one would try and defend giving invoker an OP spell on the grounds that's invoking spells needs high execution.

The real question about execution barriers is whether players actually enjoy them, which I think is true for invoker players, but I'm less sure about Earth Spirit. To me is just seems awkward and arbitrary, like having a skill shot that has to be aimed backwards or something.

Re the moving after dropping a remnant thing, there's an option in menu "Auto-attack after using spell" which I think fixes this. I don't know when they added it, I only noticed it recently.

Jex

Your problem, without looking at your Dotabuff in the slightest, is that you're playing a team-centric initiator hero in pubs.

Puck absolutely demands consistent followups which your teammates can't provide. You're trying to play him as a self sufficient mid like QoP, or TA when really, all he does is create space for his teammates.

Could he stand to be buffed? Maybe. But that won't solve your fundamental problem which is that you're playing a team hero in a solo environment.

Seems a bit like playing Batrider in a solo pub setting. All you're doing in setting up...nothing.

Haly

But execution barriers aren't usually considered when balancing heroes.
They are, at least by Icefrog. And Invoker IS OP on a theoretical level. Icefrog's approach to balancing is pretty unique in the realm of e-sports in that he firmly believes a high skill ceiling can balance out overpowered skills. Like the old Wisp/Io. Or Ember Spirit. Ember Spirit has 2 spammable pseudo-disjoints and can, ideally, dodge many many spells, but even a great Ember player like Arteezy still frequently messes up, and that insurmountable execution barrier is what keeps Ember in check.

The real question about execution barriers is whether players actually enjoy them, which I think is true for invoker players, but I'm less sure about Earth Spirit. To me is just seems awkward and arbitrary, like having a skill shot that has to be aimed backwards or something.
I can't speak for others but Earth Spirit remains one of my favorite heroes to play, nerfs or no nerfs.

Re the moving after dropping a remnant thing, there's an option in menu "Auto-attack after using spell" which I think fixes this. I don't know when they added it, I only noticed it recently.
I didn't know this, I'll try it out. I don't have much problem with it but I know other people do and this might help them.
Seems a bit like playing Batrider in a solo pub setting. All you're doing in setting up...nothing.

Yeah, pretty much. This list is no coincidence:
ib0BCQ3EMKfPkz.png

Acinixys

Alliance just got #REKT by Relax. It was pretty even till about 45 mins

But then Relax wiped them 3 times in a row with mutiple buyback at the rosh pit

Was pretty good

Someone just won a shitload of rares

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Batrider can at least bring an enemy hero back to the team. The biggest problem with heroes like Puck in pub gaming is that you always find yourself going "guys...guys I thought we were going to fight this!" as they all high-tail it away leaving you stranded in the middle of the entire enemy team.

I could see the EMP changes being reversed but honestly, when I stroll into mid I'm more scared of QE than QW. QW takes a lot of work to pull off which, I guess, is more pertinent to your bracket than mine, but I feel relatively safe against QW.

I also feel better as QE, in general, because of the presence he exerts in lane and in other lanes, something QW lacks entirely.

SO heavy.
I don't play invoker much, but, I think QE is way harder to pull off than QW, specially since his last buffs. It honestly requires no timing you just throw your shit out and it hits, you also get your mana back. QW actually puts more pressure on the sidelanes, that MS gives you so much ganking potential.

Hylian7

ib1eccQGyfFDwV.png

He didn't have a good winrate in 6.79. That said I hope he gets a buff somewhere.

Top Bottom