• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

52club

I always though Doom was best as an aura whore

Valds/Drums/Shivas/Devour an Alpha Wolf/Radience/AC etc

The combo of bloodstone/ac makes him very hard to kill while your team benefits from the multiple auras. By no means am I at a high level of dota (3.1 MMR currently after peaking at 4k), but so far it has worked out for the way I play. It could just be a fluke though. I'll know more after some more matches.

I do think saying he is only good for his Doom spell is pretty ignorant of how helpful his auras can be.

He's a shit ganker, a shit carry, a shit support and a shit initiator.

He exists to shit on the strongest member of the enemy team for 15 seconds.

Pretty much my feelings too. He only becomes relevant when the other team has such a horse shit hero (cough QW Invoker cough) that his ult becomes worthwhile.

On the flip side, his hero design and voice lines are awesome and I really want that fire axe that they just released for him.

Lotto

Doom is the best spell in the game therefore Doom is a good hero. My best comeback game was on Doom.

z15VyFF.jpg

shutting down a single hero is great guys.
3.2k MMR trench ;-;

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
He's a melee creep with the best spell in the game followed by some shitty ones.

how are any of his spells shitty?

Devour a creep is a free Midas that gives you versatility (frost armor, crit, speed aura, net, stomp, etc...) and fills gaps in his kit, scorched earth makes it so damn difficult to kill doom (once he gets armor items don't even bother), and lvl death is arguably the best non ulti nuke in the game that can chunk heroes for 40-50% of their hp, and doom I don't even think I have to explain--but using your words, it's the only spell in the game that ACTUALLY turns a hero into a creep for an entire teamfight and the CD is pretty short now so it's up most teamfights.

how are any of his spells shitty?

Devour a creep is a free Midas that gives you versatility (frost armor, crit, speed aura, net, stomp, etc...) and fills gaps in his kit, scorched earth makes it so damn difficult to kill doom (once he gets armor items don't even bother), and lvl death is arguably the best non ulti nuke in the game that can chunk heroes for 40-50% of their hp, and doom I don't even think I have to explain--but using your words, it's the only spell in the game that ACTUALLY turns a hero into a creep for an entire teamfight and the CD is pretty short now so it's up most teamfights.

Devour sucks so hard at early levels (25 bonus gold on a 70 second cd) that you're forced to level that up first and kill any versatility you could have in the extreme early game. If by fill gaps in his kit you mean make him useful at all for anything (large satyr for jungling, alpha wolf for your right clicks to actually do anything etc) without those there isn't a whole lot you can do. Scorched earth is okay mostly for the hp regen. Lvl death is crap all the way until super late game. I wrote a whole novel on why I thought so way earlier, but it costs too much mana on an already starved hero early to throw out willy nilly, and even strategically it doesn't do much in reality (no way in hell are you doing 50% of hp at any point before you're level 12, since again devour is wasted if you don't level that up immediately and if you don't get scorched you don't have enough hp to get any farming done efficiently thanks armor, and by that point they have tons more health so the flat damage doesn't do much because now the rubick has a bracer or whatever and man that sure is unlucky no one on the map happens to be level 12 or 6 right now not even worth the mana to throw this out better go back to farming repeat repeat repeat wow thats really long). It's good for breaking linkens, stopping tps, and super late game when everyone is 25 as just another nuke. I suppose a lot of that applies solely to jungle doom, so lvl death could be really good in a lane set up early where you don't need scorched.

I already said Doom is the best skill in the game :p

I think he's fun and stuff, but I don't think he's a well rounded hero. He's picked for one reason alone and I'd like to see that mitigated into the rest of his kit, but I don't know how you do that without breaking him right open.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Devour sucks so hard at early levels (25 bonus gold on a 70 second cd) that you're forced to level that up first and kill any versatility you could have in the extreme early game. If by fill gaps in his kit you mean make him useful at all for anything (large satyr for jungling, alpha wolf for your right clicks to actually do anything etc) without those there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Devour level 1 (sometimes based on luck) gives you access to extra armor (frost armor or the passive from the bird creep), a heal, some passive attack speed, damage, or MS. That's not a bad deal at level 1, you only have to devour 1 jungle creep early on for what you want (unless you get really unlucky, then you might have to go back a second time), then you can just devour lane creeps and maximize your free midas until you get a few levels and can take advantage of the utility offered by other creeps (satyr ranged nuke, centaur stomp, and net).

Scorched earth is okay mostly for the hp regen.

Guess the 16% MS boost and mini-radiance are useless eh?

Lvl death is crap all the way until super late game. I wrote a whole novel on why I thought so way earlier, but it costs too much mana on an already starved hero early to throw out willy nilly, and even strategically it doesn't do much in reality (no way in hell are you doing 50% of hp at any point before you're level 12, since again devour is wasted if you don't level that up immediately and if you don't get scorched you don't have enough hp to get any farming done efficiently thanks armor, and by that point they have tons more health so the flat damage doesn't do much because now the rubick has a bracer or whatever and man that sure is unlucky no one on the map happens to be level 12 or 6 right now not even worth the mana to throw this out better go back to farming repeat repeat repeat wow thats really long). It's good for breaking linkens, stopping tps, and super late game when everyone is 25 as just another nuke. I suppose a lot of that applies solely to jungle doom, so lvl death could be really good in a lane set up early where you don't need scorched.

Yeah lvl death costs a lot of mana, but if you're actually paying attention to hero levels, it can be very clutch in the early to mid-game. And you're right, it doesn't reach it's full potential until the late game, but then again, not many non-ultimate nukes can take a level 25 bristleback from 100% to 60% hp with just one application. So the early game unreliability is just a trade-off for the potential power of the scale based on it's absurd scaling.

I already said Doom is the best skill in the game :p

ok

I think he's fun and stuff, but I don't think he's a well rounded hero. He's picked for one reason alone and I'd like to see that mitigated into the rest of his kit, but I don't know how you do that without breaking him right open.

i take it you're not a fan of magnus, enigma, or tidehunter either then?

bbd23

Got my first dire chest.

unboxed it and got the venge set xD

I love venge but...I sold it for 16 bucks lol. I'll end up getting it when its cheaper

Magnus is fun in lane and ganking with shock wave and skewer. Enigma has L33t micro. Tide is fun late game as a stand there tank.

I dunno all the heroes are fun to play.

I think they all offer more than just their ults.

Madouu

Magnus is fun in lane and ganking with shock wave and skewer. Enigma has L33t micro. Tide is fun late game as a stand there tank.

Devour offers a bunch of skills that can be both fun and useful, scorched earth is very useful and tracking opponents levels for lvl death can be a fun mechanic for some.

Anyway, I don't think Doom is particularly fun nor is he unfun, I do think he's versatile enough as he has been picked throughout the different patches for different lane positions and with different skill builds, item builds and playstyles.

At my level, I just pick him when I want an easy win. Pretty sure he's one of my most succesful hero both in winrate (70%) and kda (>5) and I don't even play the greedy kind of Doom.

Also, I wouldn't mind a very slight buff to puck's turn rate but not for balance purposes, just because I'm selfish and I miss bubbles (his hon equivalent).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

So does doom, that was the point I was trying to make. If you're able to look at those heroes and see more than just the ultimate, then I don't know how you can't do the same for doom.

Doom is one of the most "well-rounded" heroes in the game because of devour, because of his tankiness (provided you shore up on armor through abilities or items), and because of his relevance at all stages in the game--he hits 6 and never falls off. Hell, you can successfully build him or lane him in so many different ways (in competitive we've seen him go off-lane, mid, safe lane, and jungle), that alone should be a testament to his versatility.

Goldmund

I'm not here to judge people's skills. I think he's better than me, or at least I'd assume so, because I'm terrible at the game and he's been winning the games I've been watching. I just have no tolerance for this kind of language, whether it's meant in earnest or jest.

ReRixo

Banned
I'm not here to judge people's skills. I think he's better than me, or at least I'd assume so, because I'm terrible at the game and he's been winning the games I've been watching. I just have no tolerance for this kind of language, whether it's meant in earnest or jest.
he listens to loads of hipster music and I'm pretty sure he's gay so he was probably trying to be ironic or something

Low Tier
guys im british i was calling him a sausage

on the reals tho, sry that i offended you

Dont group what I do with the rest of dotagaf, theyre all good people who're fun to play with and you can learn alot from em. I just stream casually so I leave professionalism to the side, its just things that pop up while playing.

love, 109

Separate from what may or may not have been said, things can't be said as a joke anymore?

However coarse the language, you're not allowed to use it?

G.ZZZ

Dont group what I do with the rest of dotagaf, theyre all good people who're fun to play with and you can learn alot from em. I just stream casually so I leave professionalism to the side, its just things that pop up while playing.

love, 109

I'm really offended by this post. Everyone's so fake.

Goldmund

love, 109

I'm not offended. Even if I was, you'd be free to offend me all you want. I might have phrased the last post poorly. I just think that people can be more aware of how language works, these days, how it diligently reproduces hateful mindsets, filtering out all the irony, and therefore choose not to use certain terms pejoratively.

Separate from what may or may not have been said, things can't be said as a joke anymore?

You can say anything you want. I'm not obliged to laugh, though, even if you meant it as a joke.

dmshaposv

Thanks for all this doom discussion and tips folks! also check out my hyhy set in this game

http://dotabuff.com/matches/572730286

I decided to jungle till i got my brown boots by level 4-5 then went to lane. then went to town with phoenix and killed the shit out of the sniper.

our silencer fed like crazy and ignored us, but i managed to carry my 5th game as doom yay!

Kard8p3

Thanks for all this doom discussion and tips folks! also check out my hyhy set in this game

http://dotabuff.com/matches/572730286

I decided to jungle till i got my brown boots by level 4-5 then went to lane. then went to town with phoenix and killed the shit out of the sniper.

our silencer fed like crazy and ignored us, but i managed to carry my 5th game as doom yay!

bro u should have gotten blink, just IMO. Halberd might not be too bad vs some of those heroes.

Sibylus

Banned

You can employ slurs in jokes, but blanket "iz juzt a joakkk" is not the way you do it. Is the joke exclusionary? Is it tactful? Is it constructive? Look at the fallout from Michael Richards' standup versus numerous other comedians who don't encounter the same, it's down to their respecting their audience and not trying to shit on them with destructive humor and slurring.

dmshaposv

bro u should have gotten blink, just IMO. Halberd might not be too bad vs some of those heroes.

Yeah im still pretty bad with itemization on this guy.

Here was my item progression for this match:

started with stout shield, tango and ring of protection > jungled and got basi at lvl 3 > died to neutral creep at lvl 3 (lol) > then got brown boots at lvl 4 and realised i was way behind lvls.

Then i tp'd bot and got first blood with phoenix and build phase boots.

and then the following: sold basi, bought bracer and build drums. Asked phoenix if he was building mek (russian silencer ignored us, fed and didnt ward except buy courier), he wasnt, then i did. and eventually decided to tank it up against LC and TA.

I guess it was overkill to get vlads, AC, heart AND mek? i had 3.7k hp and basically just stood in fights and let their team melt away. The gem helped getting LC many times so that was important. I had no proper initiation item, just "im doom with 3.7k hp, and u better fucking run" lol.

You can employ slurs in jokes, but blanket "iz juzt a joakkk" is not the way you do it. Is the joke exclusionary? Is it tactful? Is it constructive? Look at the fallout from Michael Richards' standup versus numerous other comedians who don't encounter the same, it's down to their respecting their audience and not trying to shit on them with destructive humor and slurring.

You can say anything you want. I'm not obliged to laugh, though, even if you meant it as a joke.

I just wanted clarification as he talked about tolerance, not about laughing.

I don't need an explanation on intention.

Sibylus

Banned
Uh, I did answer your question with "You're allowed to use coarse language, but it depends on the result in the eyes of your audience". It's a shitty comedian that blames his tools when he offends people.

Fair 'nuff, fair game being in the thread though! :p

O no doubt, appreciate though.

Just thought it's possible for everyone to use whatever word they want and it being understand that not everything is meant. Things can be said in jest. It's not necessarily funny.

Sibylus

Banned
Most baffling discussion by a casting team of late: "Ember Spirit is an awful concept, he isn't even a Dota hero, remove pls"

I mean, what. He's a bundle of warm joy, a crowd pleaser, etc? We need more Wraith King heroes?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Most baffling discussion by a casting team of late: "Ember Spirit is an awful concept, he isn't even a Dota hero, remove pls"

I mean, what. He's a bundle of warm joy, a crowd pleaser, etc? We need more Wraith King heroes?

One of the most fun and best designed heroes in dota, fuck those losers.

Razzer

Who was saying that?

Hylian7

There are also people that think Invoker and Meepo are too convoluted and shouldn't be in the game.

The point is unique concepts like these make Dota really shine.

I cannot wait for Arc Warden so I can double Midas with only one Midas.

Demoli

I forget which now, happened within the past two weeks. IIRC they had a pro player on that agreed with him. Came across as really "get off my lawn" whining.

It's the "It's new so I hate it" symdrome, I call it "earth Spirit's demise".

Like someone on mumble once said, imagine if Doom was introduced today. An ultimate that makes every single ehro useless for 15 secs? Wtf Icefraud, and he's tanky aswell and has a free midas? Make his Q a static 25 gold, his W only give Extra movespeed and E a normal nuke if you want to keep his ult as it is!

Top Bottom