• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

I need some help. Most of the time I know what I did wrong in a match but in this one I'm kind of stuck.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/624631479

I'm Doom. First of all, BH fed 6 out of ou 8 deaths early on, contributed nothing, and then left, so I'm not really blaming myself for the loss here. However, I feel like I could've done a bit better. My farming was lacking I think, SB seemed like a complete waste of a pickup and I think I should've gone BKB before Shiva's. But despite trying to get tanky I kept dying fast in fights, and I don't know whether it was the enemy team focusing on me or something I did wrong.

If someone could tell me what I did wrong or even watch the game and see I'd really appreciate it.
I need you guys help to suck less.

EDIT: The calibrating matches aren't the be all end all in deciding your mmr right? So the difference between winning and losing all of them isn't like 3k mmr?

Kard8p3

EDIT: The calibrating matches aren't the be all end all in deciding your mmr right? So the difference between winning and losing all of them isn't like 3k mmr?

I guess you were jungle since there's a BH.

Not a fan of your item choices IMO.

With the recent changes to blink I like going treads and blink over phase, gives good initiation too. Halberd would have probably helped you there vs BS and Naix, also gives you good evasion. Not a fan of SB on Doom either. You could have helped out the solo support by making mek, would have also made you a little tankier.

but idk, im not the best player around so I'm likely to be wrong.

Randdalf

No. It certainly moves about more than normal but by and large it's based off your unranked MMR. Essentially, calibration gives it wiggle room to figure out if your MMR whilst tryharding is any different.

Mordeccai

LOL. I just came back from work and the triple stack I played with that fed horribly with failvoid ALL left comments on my steam wall.

"Fuckin retard says BF useless on PA uninstall noob"

these people are by far the saltiest dudes I have ever played with

I guess you were jungle since there's a BH.

Not a fan of your item choices IMO.

With the recent changes to blink I like going treads and blink over phase, gives good initiation too. Halberd would have probably helped you there vs BS and Naix, also gives you good evasion. Not a fan of SB on Doom either. You could have helped out the solo support by making mek, would have also made you a little tankier.

but idk, im not the best player around so I'm likely to be wrong.

I went offlane, BH decided he was going to take Tiny's farm in safelane. Treads/Blink does sound better than phase/SB, and I forgot about Halberd in game. Maybe should've gone Shiva's + Halberd and no BKB? Zeus was doing a lot of damage though and I couldn't Doom him since he was always offscreen when he ulted.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
fuck i reinstalled windows 7 did a clean install with steam and everything and i still get shit pings in us servers, i used to get 180 which was perfectly playable but i now get like 250 going to trough 300 is unplayable. I think thacker fucked my router i'm sad now since all my friend stack use US servers.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oof. I guess I don't want it that much. I hope it drops below 10 then...

2540149-4606710041-20837.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
fuck i reinstalled windows 7 did a clean install with steam and everything and i still get shit pings in us servers, i used to get 180 which was perfectly playable but i now get like 250 going to trough 300 is unplayable. I think thacker fucked my router i'm sad now since all my friend stack use US servers.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Mordeccai

^ sounds like you played with a bunch of kids

Yeah they were either kids, or had the mental maturity of such.

I think I have unlocked my inner tide gaf. A week ago I was 0-9 overall with tide and swore him off. Now I understand the ways of anchor smash farming and ultimate team fighting, won my latest four games with him. Holy shit kraken's shell is so good too.

inkls

Call inkls. He knows Doom pretty well.

As in, plays him, not great.

Alright, so here's my impression of the match, please don't take anything personally:

-Overall, it just seems like your team just didn't push, 1,3k tower damage vs 10.2k even though everyone on your team was positive apart from bh.

-Your starting build was 3 branches, 1 tango and a stout. You could have ignored the branches to get a quelling blade or ring of protection (ring if lane, qb for jungle, but ring is still good for jungle although you'll be pretty slow with your farming).

I usually like to grab ring after my starting build to build it into a casual basi for the extra armor and mana regen. You really need armor as doom, but in this game you had omniknight who's heal's aoe does pure damage, so armor and mr is useless and Bloodseeker's ult is hp removal and goes through bkb. Their abilites also were on pretty short cooldowns, so bkb didn't contribute that much.

A hood or pipe would have been pretty useful, not required for you to build it, but your team should have gotten it.

-You got LVL? Death at lvl 4. Don't, I tried it before and you can't sustain the mana usage and maxing devour and scorched earth before you put any points in it is way better. Early in the game you had a mana pool of 312 and the spell costs 110 mana while you had 0.9 mana regen.

-Your lineup could have gone BH solo offlane while you went jungling to give tiny a support and more xp to bh and you.

-For laning, you want to go into their jungle early (if your offlaning like in this case) so you can check if there's a big satyr you can devour which will give you lots of xp towards your lvl 2 and a passive +5 hp regen which is really good early.

-Don't get wand as 2nd items after boots, a wise man once told me that it was a waste of almost 500 gold early which you could have used on other items such as a basi and gotten +3 armor and +50% mana regen.

Also not super useful in a lane against omni since his abilities cost lots of mana so you won't get much wand charges to mitigate the pure damage.

-Phase in a harass heavy lane is not great, although I like to get it to keep up on targets, but I also usually get drums to make up for some of the stats.

-Don't spam scorched earth, you kept pushing the lane with it and you want to keep it for chasing or escaping due to its cooldown.

-Did a good job farming though, you were ahead in farm for a pretty long time.

-If you wanted to be tanky, a hearth would have been a much better choice and the extra 40 damage from the +40 str is pretty good.

-You could also have gone for a heavenly halberd since it give you damage, hp and an active that disarms the target to render the only right-clicker left in the radiant's side useless for a bit in teamfights. Should have been a top priority since BS was carrying his team.

-You used doom on a 1/3rd hp Zeus while he was focused by 3 of your teammates.

Your Dooming priority should have been like this:

1. Omniknight. this guy should have been doomed 24/7. You don't want him using his ult, pure damage heal or giving magic immunity to any of his teammates.
2. Lifestealer if he was ahead (which he wasn't so forget him) to disable his lifesteal which makes him very easy to kill.
3 The rest. Zeus is meh if you're ganking him since he has no escapes.

-Shadowblade is good against BS since he doesn't have global vision (unless you're >25% hp) when you activate it. If you wanted to initiate you can choose sb or blink, both are great since they allow you to doom quickly and also gank solo splitpushers and doom them quickly. Omni also got a radiance so blink would have been pretty useless vs him.

-Devour the Alpha wolf in the jungle for wolf pack aura, gives you 2 passives: +30% damage and a 20% chance to crit 200%. This stuff is really good, you can hit like a train while still building tanking items.

-Max your ult ever time you can, you should have gotten its lvl 2 at lvl 11, not 12.

-After devour is lvl 2, stop devouring creeps with +1k hp, your cooldown is short enough devour will go off cooldown before you finish digesting so you don't get as much extra gold.

-I don't recommend getting it usually, but if you're behind and have trouble finishing off a solo target, consider getting and aghs so doom can last long enough so that they die and the stats are good too.

-You guys focused on omni too much and did so while he wasn't doomed, so he dealth massive damage to you guys while his team wiped yours/

Thats all I saw, hope that helped.

Pro Doom tip: Always get a Midas.

:p

Seriously though, Midas on Doom is super good.

Also this. I used to not get it in favor of other items to help my team, but its so good. Literally 6-slotted at 30-40 minutes.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Group leader queued us on Russian server for a laugh. We thought we'd feed a bit to pay back for all the Russian feeders we've had to endure but our Russian fifth managed to outfeed us all going 0-11 on Sylla. He wasn't even phased by our own feeding. I'm lead to believe then that this is just par for the course over there.

Thanks a lot for the tips Inkls, it'll help a lot. BH didn't listen to anything anyone said, I told him to offlane so I could jungle but he ignored me. And a bunch of the mistakes I made that you commented on were me blindly following a guide and not using my own brain, I've made countless useless wands, and I don't even remember skipping lvl 2 Doom at 11.

Also I used Doom on a 10hp enemy and immediately facepalmed.

@FACE: I thought about getting a Midas but I thought it was too late to get one, apparently it's always okay to get one on Doom?

FACE

Banned
Thanks a lot for the tips Inkls, it'll help a lot. BH didn't listen to anything anyone said, I told him to offlane so I could jungle but he ignored me. And a bunch of the mistakes I made that you commented on were me blindly following a guide and not using my own brain, I've made countless useless wands, and I don't even remember skipping lvl 2 Doom at 11.

Also I used Doom on a 10hp enemy and immediately facepalmed.

@FACE: I thought about getting a Midas but I thought it was too late to get one, apparently it's always okay to get one on Doom?

No, even on Doom I feel that Midas is time dependent. Always try to get it before the 10 minute mark.

Edit: I haven't seeing the replay, but judging from the amount of LHs you and Tiny had I think it'd have been better if you farmed more. Also, that Lich built Aghs and now I want to punch him in the face.

Chris R

Call your ISP and have them ping volvo. If they have the same ping you know it's something outside of your stuff.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Pro Doom tip: Always get a Midas.

:p

Seriously though, Midas on Doom is super good.

I've lost count of how many dooms have lost because they greedily forced a Midas even with a bad start and ran around like headless chickens with no mana, no armor, and no impact.

IMO doom is best played as a sort of utility carry opting for stuff like blink, Mek, and aura/armor stack (vlads, AC, shiva's). No need to play like a 1 and go super greed, pickup a solid early core and make shit happen on the map every 100s. That's just my personal opinion though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
We had one on our team that last picked BS in RD when we already had a Puck, Lifestealer, Clockwerk and Enigma. I had already called offlane on my Clockwerk but he proceeds to pick Bloodseeker instead of a support and came top lane with me leaving our Lifestealer alone to get raped by an Axe and Silencer. Then he complains when I try to get last hits, doesn't buy boots, and proceeds to rush Radiance first (doesn't get it until 25 minutes). Obviously our safelane gets owned and Enigma kept feeding too instead of abandoning the jungle. I do what I can and end up with quite a few kills, but the BS still winds up trash talking me despite ending up 2/12 and 12/7/11 on my CW.

Mordeccai

No, even on Doom I feel that Midas is time dependent. Always try to get it before the 10 minute mark.

Edit: I haven't seeing the replay, but judging from the amount of LHs you and Tiny had I think it'd have been better if you farmed more. Also, that Lich built Aghs and now I want to punch him in the face.

Better to go veil on lich, right?

I think I had the worst teammate just on my team. Picks kunkka, ignores me and Ursa saying he should go offlane, steals Ursa's farm. We get ahead anyway, Kunkka only farms and never joins teamfights, finally starts talking. Keeps cussing out teammates in spanish, called me a pussy for running away from Pudge as a Dazzle, keeps calling gg whenever anyone dies even though we're extremely ahead, goes in 1 on 5 fights, You can fill in the blanks. We won despite him. Dazzle is OP, first game ever as him and it's so easy to turn around teamfights with just one grave. Pudge gets a hook? Grave, no kill for you, now die.

That was also my last calibrating match, my mmr is 2584, yay. Sort of expected it. I guess that's okay since I've played less than 200 games. I'm planning to play more mid and carry roles before I get into higher mmr and it becomes way harder to learn, except maybe then people will pick supports(probably not).

Anyone here also in that mmr range? I'm used to solo queueing but it gets tiring :(

Satch

Banned
i had some ember game in my downloads that i played and totally forgot about (i have no clue as to why i downloaded it) but i am cringing at the way i was missing last hits

for anybody that doesnt watch their replays but wants to improve, pls watch them

Chris R

Had a game today where someone was amazed that you could stack ancients...

I need to play ranked from now on so my unranked games are better :|

Also, All Random is great, but when your team is really really badly composed the game isn't fun. Even worse when the other team just wont finish the game.

M.D

Had a game today where someone was amazed that you could stack ancients...

I need to play ranked from now on so my unranked games are better :|

Also, All Random is great, but when your team is really really badly composed the game isn't fun. Even worse when the other team just wont finish the game.
don't expect ranked to be any better

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Do any of you guys know what the back door protection range was in Dota 1? Because in Dota 2, it turns off if a creep is within 2000 units of a T3, which seems really early.

Top Bottom