• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Randdalf

4IkZgl0.png

I really like Clockwerk and Puck, but I don't get very good results with them it seems.

Randdalf

Just hit your hooks and you'll be good with clock.

Oh I do, I'm actually good at that, just seems some games I play him and the enemy team are doing a conga line in the jungle or stomping the rest of my team whilst I try and fail to find a tasty Crystal Maiden.

Razzer

Just hit your hooks and you'll be good with clock.

Ehhhhh, target selection is incredibly important on Clock I feel even compared to most initiators. You gotta make sure they won't pummel you inside cogs, hopefully someone in the middle to split them via the cogs, whether you have ults that can be helped by cogging multiple people or if you wanna isolate someone, etc etc. Once you get Agh's it becomes a great chasing tool though, cleanup central.

Oh I don't think people do play her mid Satch, but Dendi did it a lot when she first came out, and was not satisfied with it. You kinda had to level up OO to control the lane, but that meant not as many points in the other two which made her weak in fights kinda. Quick levels mean you could get duel early and tp in to counter ganks to start your snowball and now you still contribute in fights with maxed OO. But I haven't tried it myself much.

Speaking of which, is she a good mid now? Seems as though OO would be good for teamfighting now. So leveling it up to control mid isn't a drawback anymore.

If you go mid just max odds and pta. It's super nice to harass and push when you need to.

I thought odds was SUPER underrated by everyone so I'm really glad it only got buffed, it's going to be crazy good now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am so fucking sick of fucking deathball where the enemy shows up as five and murders every lane over and over and your team doesn't fucking respond

I don't know why people are so desperate to get maybe six last hits in lane over showing up to the fucking fight

The Technomancer

How are you gonna get your items if there's 9 other people in the lane?

By killing heroes! This is the part that drives me nuts! This is happening with lineups where 5v5 we have the advantage and they would be getting kill gold. I understand if Faceless Void doesn't want to leave the lane, but if they're forcing fights and we have Juggernaut, Lich, Tiny and Gyrocopter we could absolutely be cleaning those fights up

Karakand

I am so fucking sick of fucking deathball where the enemy shows up as five and murders every lane over and over and your team doesn't fucking respond

I don't know why people are so desperate to get maybe six last hits in lane over showing up to the fucking fight

gotta farm 18,000 gold's worth of items m8

last night I played with an imba spirit who farmed a battlefury, Daedalus, and a maelstrom and they still wouldn't fight

knickerbocker you only got six items slots get your ass out here

By killing heroes! This is the part that drives me nuts! This is happening with lineups where 5v5 we have the advantage and they would be getting kill gold. I understand if Faceless Void doesn't want to leave the lane, but if they're forcing fights and we have Juggernaut, Lich, Tiny and Gyrocopter we could absolutely be cleaning those fights up
I think if your team has all of Void/Jugg/Tiny/Gyro you have other problems.

The Technomancer

I think if your team has all of Void/Jugg/Tiny/Gyro you have other problems.

Nah, Void wasn't in that game and I was playing support Gyro to carry Tiny. We ended up winning but the next two games the exact same thing happened and we lost. Where early on the enemy team would make it clear that they were group roaming to murder and take towers and 2-3 team members would just pretend it wasn't happening and hope that they could get farm, nevermind the fact that since they were alone in lane they would get ganked and lose any farm they were getting

I played my first protect 1 in like a year.

I forgot how boring it is.

Until the last ten minutes where you just steamroll the enemy team single handily.

The Video's corrupted or something now, freezes just as KyXy jumps into Rosh for the hypest RP of all time. Really wish they would fix that.

Odd, never did that before, bummer :/
Nah, Void wasn't in that game and I was playing support Gyro to carry Tiny. We ended up winning but the next two games the exact same thing happened and we lost. Where early on the enemy team would make it clear that they were group roaming to murder and take towers and 2-3 team members would just pretend it wasn't happening and hope that they could get farm, nevermind the fact that since they were alone in lane they would get ganked and lose any farm they were getting

I had the reverse happen to me. Enemy team was trying to push, in stead of letting them try and take the tower before getting into a fight teammates would either stand around the tower and do nothing until they pushed, or try and go 2 on 5 when I was trying to farm. Then our SS had the audacity to bitch at me because I wasn't also standing around our T2 instead of farming, before running in 2 on 5 again and blaming me for not being there.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find it amusing the building I am has a sign up saying not to prop open doors, yet I think literally every door is proped open at the moment (You are supposed to use your ID card to open the doors). There are even employees sitting in a desk in front of a propped open door that has the sign on it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I find it amusing the building I am has a sign up saying not to prop open doors, yet I think literally every door is proped open at the moment (You are supposed to use your ID card to open the doors). There are even employees sitting in a desk in front of a propped open door that has the sign on it.

Gotta get that airflow.

literally no one does 4 protect 1 anymore

its more fun to push or deathball or other stuff

It's gaining steam. I played against a 4p1 last night, and it was miserable. We had a really awful lineup and I was a solo Slark against a Sven/CM/SK. The game lasted 67 minutes and we barely edged them out mostly due to a bad fight at the Rosh pit for them. Sven didn't go Lifesteal and was six slotted so he killed Rosh and was left at like 40% HP and had to figure out which item to drop and we plowed into the Rosh pit, forced their Zeus to take Aegis, killed all of them and plowed down mid for the win.

It was the most boring game I've played in a while because they literally roamed around as 5 for the last 35 minutes letting Sven farm to get six slotted. We would have been able to easily win it but my buddies playing Invoker and QoP seemed to think Sheep Sticks were dumb and went for Heart + Desolator and Linkins + Blink Dagger before considering Scythe >.<

The Technomancer

I had the reverse happen to me. Enemy team was trying to push, in stead of letting them try and take the tower before getting into a fight teammates would either stand around the tower and do nothing until they pushed, or try and go 2 on 5 when I was trying to farm. Then our SS had the audacity to bitch at me because I wasn't also standing around our T2 instead of farming, before running in 2 on 5 again and blaming me for not being there.

The main problem I have is just economy of time. If the enemy team is pushing as five and they're going to take a T1 our actions should either be to defend it or else optimize the open space on the map and say, three of us push up a different lane and try and take that tower. So much of my frustration these days is when we give the enemy team a fight or a tower for free because half the team is just kind of aimlessly standing in lane.

The main problem I have is just economy of time. If the enemy team is pushing as five and they're going to take a T1 our actions should either be to defend it or else optimize the open space on the map and say, three of us push up a different lane and try and take that tower. So much of my frustration these days is when we give the enemy team a fight or a tower for free because half the team is just kind of aimlessly standing in lane.
No I get what you're saying. I want my team to actively be doing something if we see several of the enemy team trying to gank or take a tower. 4 enemies bot? Gank top or take a tower. They're taking Rosh and we can't contest? Try and take a tower or something. At the very least start pushing lanes. People who stand around in jungle until min 20 are the worst. Congrats you have a Midas and your items up, we lost the game.

NP and Ursa picks are almost always awful.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No I get what you're saying. I want my team to actively be doing something if we see several of the enemy team trying to gank or take a tower. 4 enemies bot? Gank top or take a tower. They're taking Rosh and we can't contest? Try and take a tower or something. At the very least start pushing lanes. People who stand around in jungle until min 20 are the worst. Congrats you have a Midas and your items up, we lost the game.

NP and Ursa picks are almost always awful.
Ursa is one of the best pub heroes

Hylian7

A bit of a rant/blog post on something.

"Why would you ever pick ____ in ranked?" - People that say that and why they are wrong.

Usually this happens when I pick Pudge sometimes in ranked, but I've seen it happen with other heroes too. Someone will say "Well that hero is shit and you should never pick them in ranked." It's really annoying, and usually they are absolutely wrong, and here is why.

1. Pub != Pro

Even in ranked mode, at 5k MMR, Pub meta, skill level, and coordination are not the same as they are in pro games. Most of the time these are 5 dudes that just met up on a team and picking whatever the hell they want if it's all pick, or the captain coming up with some strat of their own in Captains Mode and Captains Draft. On top of that, despite MMRs, skill level is all over the place, and everyone's ideas differ. I personally like to pick Pudge and do my thing, and it works quite frequently. People will tell me "Pudge isn't a viable hero in ranked." and I usually prove them wrong. Usually people get these ideas from the fact that these heroes are almost never picked in pro games. This includes heroes like Pudge, Anti-Mage, PA, Drow, and more.

2. Because pub meta and skill level is different, new strats are viable

I know I've ran a Pudge with pocket NP a few times and it works wonders. It's a great strat, one that would be impossible to execute without picking Pudge in the first place. I've even done a support Viper in a trilane before, and it's actually worked! Things like Medusa ancient jungling, people usually scoff at, but they don't realize that if you are against a team that can't really stop you efficiently, or you have a team that's extremely good at protecting you, it's quite viable in pubs! Sure, in most higher level games it's bad (and Medusa in general doesn't work in most games), but in uncoordinated pubs you can pull it off playing it smartly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rotations and space created, organizing your team to deal tower damage, etc. can be done on any hero.

Sometimes you just need fucking stuns though.

Hylian7

Rotations and space created, organizing your team to deal tower damage, etc. can be done on any hero.

Sometimes you just need fucking stuns though.

I totally agree on that, but some of these "unviable" heroes do have stuns: Pudge, Tusk, Ogre Magi (although I've NEVER seen someone complain about a teammate picking him unless they really needed a ranged support)

I would say 3 Melee carries vs Sven and an Enigma with BKB is a bad idea.
SB is also 1k more than Blink and that extra time to get 1k is time to not dunk on fools (and it uses mana)

aka its the player

Fair enough, he did a bad job farming anyway.

Is sub 20 a good time to get Aquila, Treads and Linkens up on Weaver?

Quesa

Practicing some more Earth Spirit, forgot how much I love this character. Not sure how to lane him tho. Is he still a viable mid? Should he just play support? Roam? Gather all his stone buddies and jungle?

Top Bottom