• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Practicing some more Earth Spirit, forgot how much I love this character. Not sure how to lane him tho. Is he still a viable mid? Should he just play support? Roam? Gather all his stone buddies and jungle?
Offlaner.
Mid if your team does not have one or a solo offlane has been picked.

Low Tier
@Hylianseven

its cuz other heroes do the job better. Every hero has a win %, doesn't mean its good for the game. Kudos to you if you won one game with X hero, but that doesn't mean anything because Y hero was more likely to win the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People just look for things to complain about. Maybe it's your hero pick, or your item choices, or not ganking instead of farming (or vice versa). It's very rare that someone will complain about your hero choice when/once you're winning. It's particularly bad for popular heroes like Pudge because so many people suck with him it looks like auto-lose unless you're Dendi.

Best to ignore it.

Which lane was it?
Offlane, but it was me and KOTL versus solo Void, so we dominated. I did pretty well farming I think. I only needed my Linkens recipe after 16 minutes and then the opposing team mass dc'd because of an abandon, so 20 minutes is generous I think.

It also reinforced the fact that it's mostly been my supports' fault that I don't do well in farming roles in side lanes, this KOTL did well to keep void out and secure my farm.

Edit: Woo, 100 wins! I've finally reached the rank of Scrub.

Usually people get these ideas from the fact that these heroes are almost never picked in pro games. This includes heroes like Pudge, Anti-Mage, PA, Drow, and more.

Anti-Mage does not belong on that list. Chinese teams play him all the time and always have. PA and Drow have seen play on and off, the problem is that there are always better heroes to play. PA is outclassed by AM, Void, Luna, PL, and quite a few others. Yes she has the potential for big crits, but she also has the potential to get nuked by 2 supports and be instagibbed in a team fight. Drow is alright early game, but she needs positioning and a lot of support to get online, the same can be said of Sniper. I would take a Clinkz over either of those 2 in a heartbeat, and that's not even considering someone like Luna or Gyro.

Then there's my main man Pudge. People don't like Pudge being picked because 90% of people that play Pudge in pubs are miserable at best. I constantly see them sitting in mid until level 7+, ignoring runes, taking poor routes to gank, not smoking themselves, not co-ordinating, missing hooks, hooking teamates out of fights, and any other severe annoyance. I'll also go ahead and say Blink Dagger Pudge immediately makes me feel like we're going to lose the game. Yet to see a single person make that work, and I'd love to know who popularized that atrocity...

Hylian7

Anti-Mage does not belong on that list. Chinese teams play him all the time and always have. PA and Drow have seen play on and off, the problem is that there are always better heroes to play. PA is outclassed by AM, Void, Luna, PL, and quite a few others. Yes she has the potential for big crits, but she also has the potential to get nuked by 2 supports and be instagibbed in a team fight. Drow is alright early game, but she needs positioning and a lot of support to get online, the same can be said of Sniper. I would take a Clinkz over either of those 2 in a heartbeat, and that's not even considering someone like Luna or Gyro.

Then there's my main man Pudge. People don't like Pudge being picked because 90% of people that play Pudge in pubs are miserable at best. I constantly see them sitting in mid until level 7+, ignoring runes, taking poor routes to gank, not smoking themselves, not co-ordinating, missing hooks, hooking teamates out of fights, and any other severe annoyance. I'll also go ahead and say Blink Dagger Pudge immediately makes me feel like we're going to lose the game. Yet to see a single person make that work, and I'd love to know who popularized that atrocity...

Probably the fact that Blink Dagger was enabled on Pudge not long ago and the removal of mana cost being a big deal for Pudge's shit mana pool. I'm going to guess these rush Blink Pudges you see try to be all "xXx360NoVisionBlinkHook420xXx" instead of just doing the sensible thing and Blinking for a Dismember. I usually get a couple of small items (Urn, Tranqs, Bottle) before I go Blink on Pudge. It is a really great item on him though. Blink Dismembers really do wonders, and pretty much guarantee you the Pure damage from Hook.

Lots of people seem to forget Dismember goes through BKB too (but not the damage). It can sort of be used like a Beastmaster Roar. Even if they do stop your Dismember early, you've probably gotten off enough of it to get the job done already, and it's on a 30 second cooldown.

Hylian7

@Hylianseven

its cuz other heroes do the job better. Every hero has a win %, doesn't mean its good for the game. Kudos to you if you won one game with X hero, but that doesn't mean anything because Y hero was more likely to win the game.

Sure, I can see this, but then you have cases like Earth Spirit during 6.79 whose winrate was shit in pubs, yet obviously you and I both know how much of a god he was back then.

People just look for things to complain about. Maybe it's your hero pick, or your item choices, or not ganking instead of farming (or vice versa). It's very rare that someone will complain about your hero choice when/once you're winning. It's particularly bad for popular heroes like Pudge because so many people suck with him it looks like auto-lose unless you're Dendi.

Best to ignore it.

Pretty much, just a pet peeve of mine in pub doto.

Hylian7

Here's a dumb bit of theorycraft for 6,81 that may or may not be viable, but is certainly worth thinking about.

KotL mid (mainly for farming an Aghanim's)

+Good way to supress enemy mid, Illuminate has long range, good damage
+Can effectively push the lane at will
+Good mana sustenance
+When he hits 6 he can call in an ally for a gank easily. Particularly useful against a farming mid.
-Squishy
-Some mids might be trouble for him, espeically ones that can catch him far back enough channeling an Illuminate. I'm talking Pudge with level 3 hook, Puck, Clockwerk, and more.
-Won't be putting Chakra to much use on others until he has his Aghanim's up.
-No real gank potential other than on the enemy mid by calling someone else in, or if you go to another lane and recall someone.

I would think you would just go brown boots, maybe a Bottle if you want it to grab runes, but you probably won't be ganking until you can recall people in.

Am I completely crazy here or could this actually be viable?

Mohasus

Here's a dumb bit of theorycraft for 6,81 that may or may not be viable, but is certainly worth thinking about.

KotL mid (mainly for farming an Aghanim's)

+Good way to supress enemy mid, Illuminate has long range, good damage
+Can effectively push the lane at will
+Good mana sustenance
+When he hits 6 he can call in an ally for a gank easily. Particularly useful against a farming mid.
-Squishy
-Some mids might be trouble for him, espeically ones that can catch him far back enough channeling an Illuminate. I'm talking Pudge with level 3 hook, Puck, Clockwerk, and more.
-Won't be putting Chakra to much use on others until he has his Aghanim's up.
-No real gank potential other than on the enemy mid by calling someone else in, or if you go to another lane and recall someone.

I would think you would just go brown boots, maybe a Bottle if you want it to grab runes, but you probably won't be ganking until you can recall people in.

Am I completely crazy here or could this actually be viable?
-nyxnyxnyxnyx

Haly

OD. Storm. Invoker. Naga.

Basically anyone who can box him out and/or shrug off Sleight.

DK might have a favorable matchup against him.

I feel like KotL is a bit too easy to gank. Get anyone to rotate and he dies, if you even need anyone to rotate. Low HP, no escape, I don't see it happening against 90% of mids.

Also I don't think Aghs is worth giving the mid to KotL, it's a waste of farm.

Haly

Kotl is always rich anyway, you don't need to give him mid to get aghs on him, just give him 2-3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol KotL can get money so easily he often would just transition from early game items straight to BoTs or Sheep if the team didnt need a mek from him.

shira

do that dire jungle thing 5 min meka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm40e1d0fDA

6C3CAA61F85510A4C96EFAE25B16FC192D3E9234

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
legit you can pretty much effectively mid any hero in dota (especially in pubs), it all just depends on the matchup

i still remember when my wraith king mid crushed the shit out of 109 sniper it was so fkn ez, no joke

dmshaposv

Most people straight up build sheep on kotl. Easy to fatm on him.

The downside with a bad kotl player is, fucker will not let you cs while he spams illuminate. Horrible lane support in bad hands and miserable for farm dependent carry.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
legit you can pretty much effectively mid any hero in dota (especially in pubs), it all just depends on the matchup

i still remember when my wraith king mid crushed the shit out of 109 sniper it was so fkn ez, no joke

Don't forget my amazing solo offlane Anti-Mage.

i wanna try a solo mid chen where you max test of faith and penitence

hes like the only hero i dont see midding going well but I wanna see me proven wrong

rush dagon + penitence = ez

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
http://dotabuff.com/matches/631486955

I don't want to say I blame my team, but I blame my team. Went up solo against Riki and BM in my lane and won, suddenly people started dying once he hit 6. Terrorblade somehow didn't farm in lane despite being in a trilane in which they got several kills.

That Riki was fat as fuck.

Did your team forget about detection?

That Riki was fat as fuck.

Did your team forget about detection?

They kept buying dust but I told them to get sentries too. I don't get the point of dust for Riki, he's not coming out of invis unless he can kill you 1 on 1 really fast, what the hell is dusting him going to do? Asshole bought a gem too so my sentries didn't last long, but the game was over by that point.

They kept buying dust but I told them to get sentries too. I don't get the point of dust for Riki, he's not coming out of invis unless he can kill you 1 on 1 really fast, what the hell is dusting him going to do? Asshole bought a gem too so my sentries didn't last long, but the game was over by that point.

Weaver put his first point in Stats.... is that a thing now?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I'm a bit surprised Icefrog didn't try to shake up the detection area at all, right now Sentry Wards still seem so much better then dust in most cases.

Lina brew and razor in this IG game on the Bts stream right now.

I'm a bit surprised Icefrog didn't try to shake up the detection area at all, right now Sentry Wards still seem so much better then dust in most cases.
Do sentries slow and stay on a hero outside of a radius?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Stupid teammates.

At that point it would be more fun to see just how fat you could make Riki. Maybe if he eats enough he'll burst.

Ketch

Anyone else ever have the timer get fucked up while picking heroes in random draft? I swear it said I had like 18 seconds left when it randomed me bloodseeker.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

legit why do you feel the need to start that sentence with legit it just makes you sound stupid legit legit legit legit

Aaron

http://dotabuff.com/matches/631486955

I don't want to say I blame my team, but I blame my team. Went up solo against Riki and BM in my lane and won, suddenly people started dying once he hit 6. Terrorblade somehow didn't farm in lane despite being in a trilane in which they got several kills.
Should have used wards, but also you were rich as hell and tanky. You should have bought a gem, and hunted the rat down. Had a similar game where I bought gem even though I was the main carry, and took two heroes with me to push while the other two held our remaining towers. We killed Riki over and over until their team lost the will to fight. They were bitching at each other in all chat when we smashed their base.

Top Bottom