• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bloodstone is a very expensive item that doesn't contribute much, except survivability. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's only a priority pick up for a very narrow range of heroes because of how well survivability synergizes with their skill set (Timber, DP). For 700g more, you can make Scythe, which is a much stronger item in general.

Haly

Aghs is a nice item if you're not confident in your Blink-fu, but Blink adds more to her core skillset than any other single item. I used to think Force Staff was interchangeable with Blink for her but with the recent Force nerfs and Blink buffs I can confidently say Blink is always the better choice.

pompidu

Bloodstone is a very expensive item that doesn't contribute much, except survivability. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's only a priority pick up for a very narrow range of heroes because of how well survivability synergizes with their skill set (Timber, DP). For 700g more, you can make Scythe, which is a much stronger item in general.

Yeah i tried bloodstone and couldnt see the value jn it for lina

Edit: ^ yeah i meant, arcane, blink, aghs :)

Atlantis

Am I the only one that isn't a fan of Aghs on Lina? The range increase is cool but I just don't see the benefit of it over other items.

Veil is fun.

Sibylus

Banned
Sorry for feed, team. GGWP to Thuglyfe, we had no chance lol. Just outclassed to the degree that you could execute any draft you wished and still gotten the sweep. What are the spoils for your win?!

Kreunt

Banned
urn is a beast item on lina (like most heroes i guess). you need either force or blink. and i'd say euls is pretty much core on her if your team lacks reliable stuns, since it lets you set up easy LSA's from long range.

deso is best item tho

Trasher

Lose money in Vegas in a heartbreaking fashion.

Get back home for grand finals match two and lose to team carry in 10 minutes.

Such weekend.

GG! GAF takes home another tourney win! :D

Haly

Lose money in Vegas in a heartbreaking fashion.

Get back home for grand finals match two and lose to team carry in 10 minutes.

Such weekend.

Typical vegas experience.

Sibylus

Banned
That creep shackle was a horror story in slow motion. Tired brain moved my cursor to the creep, I realized this, clicked my skill again, creep again. Try again... creep. Fuck.

Hylian7

I enjoyed the NP game for what it's worth. Sure it got sloppy at the end but you guys had the game on lock anyways (well, Sniper did his best to throw).

Like I said my NP is not very good so I wasn't expecting much out of myself in that one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Match history won't load for me, anyone else having that issue?

Also, Perfect World at it again, submitting items of questionable quality and minimal details:
637x358.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241671121

637x358.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241665554

manfestival

ok question about feedlini
dude has a 70% win ratio. I know he was on a pro team and is doing casting now(which hes good at too). However, how is it that so many of these american players seem like pubstars (65%-70% win ratios) compared to alliance, c9, na'vi, and etc players which are closer to 60% ?

and yet the american players with better records cant compete on the same level it seems.

Nirvana

dude has a 70% win ratio. I know he was on a pro team and is doing casting now(which hes good at too). However, how is it that so many of these american players seem like pubstars (65%-70% win ratios) compared to alliance, c9, na'vi, and etc players which are closer to 60% ?

and yet the american players with better records cant compete on the same level it seems.

For one, Merlini stacks a lot, rather than simply solo queuing; he often plays with at least one other person.

Secondly, I would suggest that Merlini could play for a pro team if he wanted and probably do quite well. He's at least as good as Demon, for instance, so he may not be the best choice for your example of a 'pub star'.

Guy still has 5800 solo mmr regardless of stacking though.

Ultimatum

Banned

it's because EU dota > NA dota

that's why arteezy (NA's best player) plays EU W

Low Tier
Alot of it is just how much effort these players make in pubs.

Players like rtz ee and stuff are already successful and have a name for themselves in competitive dota, so alot of times they do dumb shit like insta-buybacks, 14 minute midases, etc.

Meanwhile, alot of aspiring players who wanna get noticed will try super hard in each and every pub, will party up with people who take public games just as seriously as them, in hopes of making it big.

And then there's the third group of people who are just turbo-nerds and take every game seriously even though they probably have no shot at going pro, ie china boys that botted their accounts to 7k mmr through scummy exploits.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, the mmr system is clearly fucked. Solo mmr is affected too, which is the worst part. Wonder if we'll see something to combat this by next patch?

I think it will take a few months to really sort out, and likely will never get any big fanfare unless Valve does something drastic to correct the system or overhauls the ranked mode.

Bit sad that we right now have no lead for when to expect anther patch. Closest we have is that there should be a Summer Chest in June and July (And maybe it will tell us the name of one of the other shop NPCs)

Nirvana

Well, the mmr system is clearly fucked. Solo mmr is affected too, which is the worst part. Wonder if we'll see something to combat this by next patch?

If the Halo 3 matchmaking system is anything to go by, this will never be truly fixed.

Literally exactly the same problems MMR is facing in Dota 2, happened in Halo 3.

The reason being that I'm guessing 'MMR' is just the same Trueskill system that Halo 3 and other games used in order to get a rank, with a raw representation of the points earned rather than an extrapolation into a rounded figure (in Halo level 50 represented max rank).

People in that game boosted accounts via this method. If you lose enough games on one account, then the system assumes you will lose every game you play in after that point for a very long time, thus when you win, you are generally guaranteed +25 MMR. This helps people on the person's team as well, since they are both predicted to lose and also it drags down the ranking average of the players they face.

I could be wrong about this, but Valve's system is eerily similar to Trueskill and seems to be struggling with exactly the same problems.

If the Halo 3 matchmaking system is anything to go by, this will never be truly fixed.

Literally exactly the same problems MMR is facing in Dota 2, happened in Halo 3.

The reason being that I'm guessing 'MMR' is just the same Trueskill system that Halo 3 and other games used in order to get a rank, with a raw representation of the points earned rather than an extrapolation into a rounded figure (in Halo level 50 represented max rank).

People in that game boosted accounts via this method. If you lose enough games on one account, then the system assumes you will lose every game you play in after that point for a very long time, thus when you win, you are generally guaranteed +25 MMR. This helps people on the person's team as well, since they are both predicted to lose and also it drags down the ranking average of the players they face.

I could be wrong about this, but Valve's system is eerily similar to Trueskill and seems to be struggling with exactly the same problems.
Make it so when the variance of mmr in a team is too high none of the players on that team gain any points(or gain a very small amount). This problem isn't unfix-able, odds are if halo didn't fix it is cause they didn't give a damn.

Just mentioning he was on a pro team is not giving Merlini a lot of respect. Merlini helped shape the game for a solid 2 years on one of the most dominant DotA 1 teams in the games history, and was consistantly one of the best players in the world during that time. Merlini is excellent at pubs, and usually plays them to the best of his abilities with a friend or two while streaming. Unless he has drastically changed voer the past year (I haven't watched his stream in a while) he always streamed himself playing to the best of his abilities while giving the most in depth analysis of the game he could. It's not like SingSing where he goes mid in a game against EE and just goes "yea his build is shit, he's shit, I'm gonna dominate this lane", Merlini goes into a lot of detail why things are bad because he does have one of the best understandings of the game you'll ever see.

Now, Merlini takes his playing pretty seriously, on the opposite side are people like Puppey and Dendi. They practice as a team intensely for a few hours every day, when they are streaming or kicking around pubs do you think they are really playing to win? I've seen a couple times on Sheevers stream when pro's show up, they aren't exactly taking that shit seriously. Usually pubs are where they goof off and try random builds with heroes they never play in roles they never play.

That being said, if Merlini practiced with a dedicated team and made playing his full time job, I have no doubt he could still be a top tier player. If memory serves me correctly Loda has been around about as long as Merlini, but Merlini was consistantly better than him until the post-MYM era when Merlini kind of stopped concentrating on playing competitively.

Or, and stop me if I say something stupid--they lost because they played 4 carries with a solo support Earthshaker against a real team that was also a 5 stack of friends abusing the algorithm. Gaming the system doesn't magically guarantee their success, or stop you from picking a retard brigade against a competant team. You did that on your own.

Nirvana

Make it so when the variance of mmr in a team is too high none of the players on that team gain any points(or gain a very small amount). This problem isn't unfix-able, odds are if halo didn't fix it is cause they didn't give a damn.

Actually the variance in 'mmrs' or 'ranks' was somewhat fixed, in the sense that you couldn't go into a ranked match with anyone of more than 5 rank disparity. The main difference with Halo was that they had two different ranks. You had your physically displayed ranked (0-50) and then you had what was like similar to MMR underneath it, invisibly being checked and scaled according to win/loss underneath that physical representation.

It wasn't that Bungie 'didn't give a damn' it's that the problems were essentially impossible to fix without removing rankings entirely. Which is why they did remove rankings in Halo Reach and waited until public outcry to introduce them in Halo 4. It's also likely the reason Valve waited to implement ranked matchmaking into Dota, because it comes with a host of issues.

Edit: In fact Bungie cared enough to create the 'banhammer' being the originators of the term

Ultimatum

Banned
Gaming the system doesn't magically guarantee their success, or stop you from picking a retard brigade against a competant team. You did that on your own.

Ermmm it kind of does. 4k average vs 5k average, who would you bet your rares on? There's a huge skill gap between 4k and 5k, so yeah the draft didn't help, but the very definition of gaming the system is to put yourself in situations where you are extremely likely to win, which is what this is.

the current mmr system has it's flaws but it works well enough that spending resources on it to completely rewrite it into something good isn't worth it

the current mmr system has it's flaws but it works well enough that spending resources on it to completely rewrite it into something good isn't worth it

their whole model is based on making and keeping their customers happy

if a large amount of customers arent happy they are failing and losing money

I'm 95% convinced the mmr system is going under constant changes and tweaks every week. Whether that makes it better, who knows, that's what they're trying to figure out.

Hylian7

Another fucking game like this. They have a super aggressive trilane where I'm sitting on roughly 10 CS by 7 minutes, because if I approach the creep wave, I die. They are killing us left and right. I leave and go to the offlane instead, but still am stifled a bit by Clinkz.

How could we have won this? I tried splitpushing by myself. It clearly wasn't good enough, but I feel like a game where you can't get any farm as a hard carry within the first 5 minutes is a completely unwinnable game.

Eveyrone asks "Where's your farm? You suck." When you are stuck there against a Disruptor, Lion, Sand King trilane. I don't understand.

I couldn't even win this with fucking Terrorblade, the hero that is the most overpowered in the game right now.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/576882341

Top Bottom