• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Oh Bruno.

F7Ia8Th.png

"But no vacuums."

#dead

Boken

Banned
Sometimes people "lie" to be able to express the truth without repercussions

I strongly believe Bruno is actually really IceFrog

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Maybe Techies

but how on earth would Bruno know any of this was coming

I remember 2gd said awhile back that you can expect 6.81 and a content patch in April, sounds like he got some insider info from somewhere or both of them are just trolling/speculating. I expect the former though, 2gd knows a bunch of videogame devs, and I suspect the guys at Valve love the dreamleague squad--they keep hiring them to host events after all. Bruno's schtick might be an april fool's joke, but I think it's a pretty good guess to say some sort of moderate to large content patch will hit in April, quite possible 6.81, followed by international and qualifier announcements.

Thats the thing, I dunno if I have or not :<

now the question is did you speak to anyone of pakistani or arabic descent? gotta narrow it down based on his name "Abdul Ismael," u kno (not to say that the name only includes people of the aforementioned cultures, but it's certainly more frequent in the middle east--i'm arab).

see abdul ismael is a pretty middle eastern name, but abdul is a shortened version of abdullah that arabs don't like using and is much more common in pakistan. ismael is a common arabic last name though

bruno is 99.9999% not icefrog

3.jpg

I thought he was the dude on the right. (although it would be strange as to why he would be at an l4d2 event)

You ever talk to him, Anuxi?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
at the risk of taking something you posted seriously, this isn't what 'abd al- is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul

delete hans wehr noob

Na I'm being serious bro, both my parents are born and raised arabs and both said Abdul is kind of an uncommon name in the middle east, as the more standard name is Abdullah over there. They said Abdul is much more common in Pakistan. Now I'm not an expert on Arabic culture and naming, but I assume my parents are, and so I just go with what they say concerining these things. Also, the article you just linked traces the etymology of Abdul as derived from Abdullah. Looks like Abdul translates to "the slave" and Abdullah translates to "Slave of Allah." One is a shortened version of the other, no?

People have speculated he's Chinese because they see him maintaining a profile over on Chinese social networks, but he said a few years ago that he decided to start learning Chinese, and it makes sense seeing as how China comprised the biggest dota fanbase at the time. Plus he's pretty much a god over there. And the name Abdul Ismael most likely isn't a hoax going off that anonymous valve "whistle-blower" a few years back, the Blizzard dota lawsuit naming an Abdul Ismael, and the more recent free 2 play credits. Not to mention his rumored involvement with s2 (makes sense since they copied dota 2 heroes pretty much skill for skill until Valve began working on dota 2) and the name Abdul Ismael showing up as an employee of Maliken (owner of s2) on some tax/political-contribution forms.

i'm guna unmask icefrog, it's my life's mission u kno. awhile back navi released this troll video supposing that icefrog was the white dude sitting in a chair behind them and watching them practice, but i bet the answer was still before our eyes, and according to the very best detectives (reddit), it was this dude right here: http://youtu.be/YMYqCwGlJPU?t=2m12s.

Boken

Banned
Na I'm being serious bro, both my parents are born and raised arabs and both said Abdul is kind of an uncommon name in the middle east, as the more standard name is Abdullah over there. They said Abdul is much more common in Pakistan. Now I'm not an expert on Arabic culture and naming, but I assume my parents are, and so I just go with what they say concerining these things. Also, the article you just linked traces the etymology of Abdul as derived from Abdullah. Looks like Abdul translates to "the slave" and Abdullah translates to "Slave of Allah." One is a shortened version of the other, no?

People have speculated he's Chinese because they see him maintaining a profile over on Chinese social networks, but he said a few years ago that he decided to start learning Chinese, and it makes sense seeing as how China comprised the biggest dota fanbase at the time. Plus he's pretty much a god over there. And the name Abdul Ismael most likely isn't a hoax going off that anonymous valve "whistle-blower" a few years back, the Blizzard dota lawsuit naming an Abdul Ismael, and the more recent free 2 play credits. Not to mention his rumored involvement with s2 (makes sense since they copied dota 2 heroes pretty much skill for skill until Valve began working on dota 2) and the name Abdul Ismael showing up as an employee of Maliken (owner of s2) on some tax/political-contribution forms.

i'm guna unmask icefrog, it's my life's mission u kno
ok im back

r u gonna make a documentary on this

Wok

i'm guna unmask icefrog, it's my life's mission u kno

From what you write, I could imagine Icefrog would prefer to stay anonymous. I am sure some people would not like to see a guy of Islamic culture work on a game which features scantily-dressed women and most importantly heroes which are part of a modern mythology. Dota even features the father of gods from the ancient Greek polytheism. Plus, not everyone would like to be considered a god in China. If Icefrog prefers to stay anonymous, why would people try to unmask him/her? Come on.

From what you write, I could imagine Icefrog would prefer to stay anonymous. I am sure some people would not like to see a guy of Islamic culture work on a game which features scantily-dressed women and most importantly heroes which are part of a modern mythology. Dota even features the father of gods from the ancient Greek polytheism. Plus, not everyone would like to be considered a god in China. If Icefrog prefers to stay anonymous, why would people try to unmask him/her? Come on.

Er...what?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Lol not at all, he's said in the past that he prefers to stay anonymous because of the sensitivity behind balancing dota heroes. Putting a public face on the changes turns attention away from the actual gameplay alterations and instead paints an easy target for hivemind communities to burn at the stake (look at WoW/LoL devs and the whole diretide fiasco with Cyborgmatt). Makes sense, the mystery behind an anonymous balancer kind of gives changelogs more weight and encourages people to debate and discuss the changes themselves and not the developer behind them.

btw i'm joking about the whole unmasking and detective thing bro

Boken

Banned
just watching the flak any balance team gets, icedogs anonymity is brilliant

valve n icecat, masters of opacity
match made in heaven

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
And regarding ESO:
*old ass quotes of negative gaf impressions*

hijacking this thread with updated impressions:

My god, some of these quests are pretty amazing. I am only Level 7 at the moment, taking my time exploring and picking up quests as I go, but I was involved in a quest that seemed to go on and on and it was a blast. Characters that I interacted with earlier in the game ended up re-appearing as the quest came to conclusion. Even early this game has some pretty fun quests and visually it is pretty damn impressive.

Overall, having a blast with the game and no where near the cluster fuck that was the Beta at all. I know some are having some quest issues, but for me, it has been pretty much smooth sailing.

Game is great, by far the smoothest launch I've been in, the only bug I've encountered is the horse dismounting at random times.

Buy the game and form your opinion, even the beta wasn't a good representation.

Now who wants some crow?

So glad to read some positive feedback today. I played one beta weekend and had a lot of fun and-though I could see where some of the hate came from-I thought a lot of the negativity was overblown.

must....resist...

Didn't play the beta, but played about 7 hours today.

I'm definitely enjoying it more than I thought I would. Combat is fun and a little more involved than typical MMO's, movement is more important. The game looks really nice too.

I went in pretty blind, had heard general rumblings of negativity, but I'm really having fun playing it.

Yep me too... loving this game so far. Best MMO in town imo - equal if not better than FFXIV.

eso is like the opposite of sw:tor--extremely anti-hyped because of alpha/beta hyperbole, but actually a really good, polished, fun game come release. hell i bet moodyshuffle buys this game within a couple months (though that's not really a strong argument for my case since moodyshuffle only buys shit games).

ok guys now let's get back to discussing the upcoming patch 6.81 for diablo 3

Karakand

It said you were Lubnani in that shopped GAF DreamLeague compendium but I wasn't sure how much of that was serious. ;)

I've read that Wiki a couple of times now and I don't see where it says the variant Abdul comes from Abdullah specifically, but w/e, I was trying to communicate that it's 2/3 of an idafa (basically a compound noun equivalent) used in many names, not just shorthand for one specific name. (imo it doesn't make enough sense in Arabic to count as something like Andrew ---> Andy, but I'm a learned speaker.)

Day 1 for The Frog Knight Rises.

Madouu

It said you were Lubnani in that shopped GAF DreamLeague compendium but I wasn't sure how much of that was serious. ;)

I've read that Wiki a couple of times now and I don't see where it says the variant Abdul comes from Abdullah specifically, but w/e, I was trying to communicate that it's 2/3 of an idafa (basically a compound noun equivalent) used in many names, not just shorthand for one specific name. (imo it doesn't make enough sense in Arabic to count as something like Andrew ---> Andy, but I'm a learned speaker.)

The name "Abdul" isn't a name that will be given to people of arabic cultures generally, the complete name will rather be "Abd ul/el/ess x" where x stands for one god's names. For example: Abdullah or Abdessamad. Sometimes, the name of the prophet is what follows such as in "Abdennabi". The name Abdul, alone, will be found in non arabic cultures and is probably where it originated, as a short and easier way of saying "Abdullah". That is why it doesn't make sense for you if you look at it purely from the point of view of arabic spelling and grammar.

The name is very common in Islamic regions of sub saharan Africa for example. In France, people use the name "Abdel" often when they want to address their arabic friends with such unpronounceable names, from their perspective, as Abdellah (Abdullah).

NBtoaster

I believe it. Though a surprising amount of heroes hit.

nerfed:

Ancient Apparition
Centaur Warrunner
Dazzle
Ember Spirit
Lich
Luna
Lycan
Naga Siren
Phoenix
Visage

half-nerfed:

Bristleback
Dark Seer

sephi22

that only means it goes through Bkb, it does not ignore Magic resist according to the wiki.

Yes, am I the only one who thinks that's ridonkulous?
Skywrath with a force and/or Atos is already the king of the midgame that's countered by BkB. Making Flare go through BkB would be too good (not that I'm complaining. He's my favorite hero and owns mid in potato bracket)

Demoli

Yes, am I the only one who thinks that's ridonkulous?
Skywrath with a force and/or Atos is already the king of the midgame that's countered by BkB. Making Flare go through BkB would be too good (not that I'm complaining. He's my favorite hero and owns mid in potato bracket)

You said it yourself, Potato bracket. Dude is a glass cannon that offers nothing but a flimsy slow and a silence late game, and BKB makes him useless. I think it would be completely fine, you jsut had to build a pipe on your 4/3 position to counteract most of it. He'd still be as tanky and a roll of toilet paper.

sephi22

Lumi and Bruno are now adding comments to the doc (and the post script has been removed).

@Demoli:
Ouch. Guess this hero's not as good as I think he is.
I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get buffed now.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Lol not at all, he's said in the past that he prefers to stay anonymous because of the sensitivity behind balancing dota heroes. Putting a public face on the changes turns attention away from the actual gameplay alterations and instead paints an easy target for hivemind communities to burn at the stake (look at WoW/LoL devs and the whole diretide fiasco with Cyborgmatt). Makes sense, the mystery behind an anonymous balancer kind of gives changelogs more weight and encourages people to debate and discuss the changes themselves and not the developer behind them.

btw i'm joking about the whole unmasking and detective thing bro

Maybe it's because Icefrog makes good changes and those other games don't??????????

Top Bottom