• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys think long drawn out games are a problem? If so, what should be done to address it in the underlying mechanics?

I get that Chinese DOTA can sometimes be hard to watch but you can't really blame the teams for doing this when it's viable, and even encouraged to draw out the game if your team is behind.

Smithy C

The second you reply to the other team, no matter what you say, you will be greeted by calls of "UMAD BRO? LOLOLOL" I hate people that play Dota so very much. Is there a way to automute everyone in every game I play?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You guys think long drawn out games are a problem? If so, what should be done to address it in the underlying mechanics?

I get that Chinese DOTA can sometimes be hard to watch but you can't really blame the teams for doing this when it's viable, and even encouraged to draw out the game if your team is behind.
It's just how they play, all the other scenes don't 5 man mid for 300 T3 tower damage then fall back to wait 4 minuets for Roshan and get 4 buybacks.
The second you reply to the other team, no matter what you say, you will be greeted by calls of "UMAD BRO? LOLOLOL" I hate people that play Dota so very much. Is there a way to automute everyone in every game I play?
Maybe you're just mad tho?

Never had it happen to me in >400 games

shira

Buyback requires a chance minigame to be successful

iGUBx3rek3TI6.png

pompidu

Wha? I'm struggling to think of any period in the game's lifespan where this many heroes were viable.

You mean like 10% right. Everyone is more viable than ever.

Except Undying, SB, Troll (Viable as fuck) and a few others. Even those three were picked in pro games.

Most are viable if the top heroes aren't picked. It's when they are you can see the disparity. You gonna pick tusk if lycan is available? No.

huh? Pretty much the only hero that isn't viable is SB imo and even he was experimented with recently by c9. I think an argument can be made that Sven (despite his many recent buffs) still isn't viable, that hero is just way too easily kited and warcry alone just doesn't cut it for mobility. Not to mention his manacosts are pretty crippling. Maybe someone will figure out a way to use him though, or bring back the DS + Mag + Sven combo that made reddit cry for a week.

Don't take not picked competitively or situational = not viable. Especially with these qualifiers, teams are going to pick what they are comfortable with, and often what they see other teams picking. Trends going to trend, remember when no one picked weaver before TI3 and then he was suddenly called OP two days into the group stages because some team owned with him and then everyone started picking him?

Year or so back BH and undying were first bans and considered too OP, then in a couple months they just dropped, no one picked/banned them anymore. Wisp/Batrider dissappeared for awhile, Naga too, then with a minor buff (bat), no buffs (wisp), and hell even some nerfs (naga), all three come surging back as "OP." Trendssssssssssss

I understand that there is trends, in the pro scene. I think a good chunk of heroes are very good, actually a lot of them are. But there is better heroes to choose from if you want to have a large impact on the game as a whole.

Ketch

True, but who is gonna have more impact in the game?

Lycan is very versatile and is able to do more than tusk.

Why would you ever pick tide hunter when you can pick riki?

that doesn't make any sense.

they are both able to do the same amount of things (3 skills and an ulti). But the things they are able to do are very different. One is a lvl dependent teamfight/iniator/ganker the other is a farm dependent split pushing carry. If your team's strategy is to group up and fight early tusk will have more impact, if you're all trying to avoid fights and get towers then lycan is your hero. The entire concept of the game is based around different heroes doing different things.

Falk

that puzzling face
This made me wonder, is Japan even into E-sports? I think they only do fighting games?

Japan's PC penetration pretty much doesn't exist. Its gaming culture is segregated into mobile/portable, PS3 (the hardcores) Xbox (the ecchi/weirdos) and PC (the perverts)

Not to mention their taste in games are just different in the first place.

It's just how they play, all the other scenes don't 5 man mid for 300 T3 tower damage then fall back to wait 4 minuets for Roshan and get 4 buybacks.

Current mechanics don't discourage that play style though. If it's successful, I just don't see how the onus would be on the Chinese to stop playing that way as opposed to ice frog and Valve changing the underlying mechanics b/c 90 min farm fests are not spectator friendly.

FACE

Banned
Japan's PC penetration pretty much doesn't exist. Its gaming culture is segregated into mobile/portable, PS3 (the hardcores) Xbox (the ecchi/weirdos) and PC (the perverts)

Not to mention their taste in games are just different in the first place.

I read ketch's post about tide immediately before yours and the wording made me chuckle.

Ultrabum

Plot twist: six plays SF and Steve plays pudge. Make it happen, I will give a key to the best of 3 winner. 2 kills to win or kill 2 towers.

Falk

that puzzling face

I don't think it's as much the teams behind trying to draw out the game as it is the team with the advantage just refusing to capitalize on it until they get a bigger advantage. Or pretty much both teams toeing around each other for a minute straight instead of engaging and then pulling back the moment someone so much as drops to 80% life.

It's like watching a soccer game where both teams refuse to attempt to shoot because they might lose possession.

At least soccer games have a time limit. Short of the map starting to blow up or something past a certain time, there really isn't a 'solution' to this.

Ultrabum

I don't think it's as much the teams behind trying to draw out the game as it is the team with the advantage just refusing to capitalize on it until they get a bigger advantage. Or pretty much both teams toeing around each other for a minute straight instead of engaging and then pulling back the moment someone so much as drops to 80% life.

It's like watching a soccer game where both teams refuse to attempt to shoot because they might lose possession.

At least soccer games have a time limit. Short of the map starting to blow up or something past a certain time, there really isn't a 'solution' to this.

So it's like watching a soccer game. Boom, roasted.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Current mechanics don't discourage that play style though. If it's successful, I just don't see how the onus would be on the Chinese to stop playing that way as opposed to ice frog and Valve changing the underlying mechanics b/c 90 min farm fests are not spectator friendly.
Yeah I'm fine with it working.

Western / EU teams can spend their money on items while the Chinese save buyback instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom