• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

DU
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU
DU

FACE

Banned
Well they lost a teamfight and suffered a few pickoffs here and there. Though, taken in a vacuum, I guess it wasn't that close, but considering how the first two games went...

I still don't know how mouz managed to lose that first game, I closed out the window and went out to do something else because I figured the game was pretty much over after mouz had a 10-1(I think) lead.

Hylian7

Void had 12 minutes of completely uncontested freefarm before deciding to suicide 3 times for no reason after picking up mom/treads. He could have easily had midas/maelstrom or a battlefury and snowballed from there. Every minute a game goes on, void gets exponentially stronger and stronger, not this game... Not to mention deathball 5 man would get completely destroyed by chrono + AA ult + meteor. These three kept VP in the game for so long and almost enabled a comeback, imagine a farmed void on top of that.

The loss is 100% on that void, they would have won had he played better.

This game was not really a deathball strat though, Mouz was running a ganking pick off oriented line up the whole series, not deathball. The void was getting complete free farm.

If you are up against a deathball, you should probably just not pick void. There are plenty of better heroes at fighting earlier. But if you do, there are plenty of other build options that allow you to fight relatively early, which all of the other hard carries that don't have chronosphere seem to manage just fine with.

You can also actually use chrono in a way that allows your teammates to contribute damage(and draft heroes that have the ability to do so, ie. not tree and centaur), so you don't have to go all in to try and 100 > 0 a hero in 4 seconds at the expense of everything else.
I wasn't watching the game in question, so I wasn't aware of all that. I was just refuting iamblades initial claim that MoM Void is always bad.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
EUHub wasn't as good once Big Daddy and Fly left. Shane+PFlax is a great combo and they need to be used more for casting.

Acinixys

Midas/maelstrom is basically the same DPS as MoM without the drawback, it is up 100% of the time, it builds better into late game, and it secures you a baseline level of farm that MoM can't guarantee you.

I will say that MoM is better than agh's though. 4200 gold for 1 extra second duration and 20 seconds cooldown is like the worst aghs upgrade in the game.

Synderen is saying exactly what I am talking about.

Pretty sure Puck/Luna are worse

I'm going to miss the EU hub so much

10 ʏᴇᴀʀs sɪɴᴄᴇ ʟᴏᴜɴɢᴇ sᴛʀɪᴍ. ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟsᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴘᴀᴛʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛʀᴇᴀᴍ. ɪ sᴛᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀ ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴ ʙɪɢ ᴅᴀᴅᴅʏ. ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴀɴɪᴍᴀʟ ᴘʟᴀɴᴇᴛ sᴛʀᴇᴀᴍɪɴɢ ᴋɪᴛᴛᴇɴs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ғʟᴀᴍᴇ ᴅʀᴀsᴋʏʟ ɪɴ ʜɪs ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsɪsᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴀᴢɪ ᴍᴏᴅs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢʟᴇss. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ɪs ɴᴇᴀʀ.ɪ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ᴍᴀʀɪᴏ ᴘᴀʀᴛʏ ᴠᴏᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴛᴏ sʟᴇᴇᴘ.

EDIT: GD STUDIO DRUNK STREAM FUCK YES

Lotto

༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽ NOTHING HAPPENED ༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽

Glad it's staying up for a bit longer, bunch of entertainers they are. Kuro <3

iamblades

I wasn't watching the game in question, so I wasn't aware of all that. I was just refuting iamblades initial claim that MoM Void is always bad.

I never said it was always bad either. Nothing is always bad.

However, it is bad often enough that it really frustrates me when voids go first item MoM because reasons. IMO if you don't have a specific goal you are planning to accomplish with the MoM, and a specific plan on how you will be able to achieve that goal, you shouldn't be building it.

'I'm going to farm treads/MoM, rotate bot and leave my complete free farm lane and repeatedly try to force kills' doesn't qualify either.

Conceptor

&#3900; &#9600;&#831;&#831;&#313;&#815;&#831;&#831;&#9600;&#831; &#831; &#3901; NOTHING HAPPENED &#3900; &#9600;&#831;&#831;&#313;&#815;&#831;&#831;&#9600;&#831; &#831; &#3901;

Yassss

hIZN1kk.png

Deadly

&#3900; &#9600;&#831;&#831;&#313;&#815;&#831;&#831;&#9600;&#831; &#831; &#3901; NOTHING HAPPENED &#3900; &#9600;&#831;&#831;&#313;&#815;&#831;&#831;&#9600;&#831; &#831; &#3901;

Kuro back for a last all nighter of playing video games and answering stream chat

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Valve ever gonna make half these hero's somewhat viable. No point in picking half of the hero's in this game.
You mean like 10% right. Everyone is more viable than ever.

Except Undying, SB, Troll (Viable as fuck) and a few others. Even those three were picked in pro games.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Valve ever gonna make half these hero's somewhat viable. No point in picking half of the hero's in this game.

huh? Pretty much the only hero that isn't viable is SB imo and even he was experimented with recently by c9. I think an argument can be made that Sven (despite his many recent buffs) still isn't viable, that hero is just way too easily kited and warcry alone just doesn't cut it for mobility. Not to mention his manacosts are pretty crippling. Maybe someone will figure out a way to use him though, or bring back the DS + Mag + Sven combo that made reddit cry for a week.

Don't take not picked competitively or situational = not viable. Especially with these qualifiers, teams are going to pick what they are comfortable with, and often what they see other teams picking. Trends going to trend, remember when no one picked weaver before TI3 and then he was suddenly called OP two days into the group stages because some team owned with him and then everyone started picking him?

Year or so back BH and undying were first bans and considered too OP, then in a couple months they just dropped, no one picked/banned them anymore. Wisp/Batrider dissappeared for awhile, Naga too, then with a minor buff (bat), no buffs (wisp), and hell even some nerfs (naga), all three come surging back as "OP." Trendssssssssssss

Falk

that puzzling face
This is a pipe dream but I do feel that there should be -some- mechanisms to promote more heroes seeing competitive play in any given tournament, fads or comfort zones or not.

Even something dumb like a (gimmick) tourney where in a Bo5, all bans carried over to subsequent games would make the entire set five times as interesting to watch..

It'd give people like Mushi even more of an edge

You mean like 10% right. Everyone is more viable than ever.

Except Undying, SB, Troll (Viable as fuck) and a few others. Even those three were picked in pro games.

Undying's changes make him pretty viable in my mind. Spirit Breaker will always be super niche. Troll is definitely viable just not as consistent as someone like Void, PL, or AM. Necrophos is the only hero seeing 0 play on the pro scene. For the month of April he was picked 0 times after all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well there was that time when some tourney ran Captain's Draft, that worked out pretty well.

However, for the International, I'd rather see good old CM. There's already side attractions and stuff for the entertainment factor.

Ketch

The XMG Captain's Draft tournament was awesome for seeing new heroes and expanding the meta (hello witch doctor!)

necro was picked by c9 like yesterday.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
This is a pipe dream but I do feel that there should be -some- mechanisms to promote more heroes seeing competitive play in any given tournament, fads or comfort zones or not.

Even something dumb like a (gimmick) tourney where in a Bo5, all bans carried over to subsequent games would make the entire set five times as interesting to watch..

It'd give people like Mushi even more of an edge

I don't know, too many bans makes things uninteresting as well. If teams get to eliminate too many heroes, it just makes trends stick around even longer. When teams used to get three first round bans, they would fall into comfortable cycle of banning the same 3 heroes over and over again, and OP or not, counters or not, these heroes never saw play and weren't really pushed to the limit. More bans doesn't necessarily mean more diverse play, could lead to the exact opposite.

And while things like CD are great fun and nice here and there, they can't ever replace CM. The game is balanced around CM as dota is all about picks and counterpicks, in other modes you'll often be able to get a hero that the enemy team has no possible way to counter at all, and that's just not good ol' fashioned dota.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, a lot of the current fads (e.g. Mirana every other EU game) result from the very mechanical "we get first pick after 4 bans", guarantee 3 of which are gonna be Wisp/Bat/Tree.

The fact that every game after the first is going to start off with more than 4 bans already shakes things up quite a bit, and doesn't go into randomized/chance territory of draft for example, since every single ban is the result of decisionmaking by both teams.

But yeah, still undoubtedly gimmick and there's no way main events would ever adopt a model like that.

The XMG Captain's Draft tournament was awesome for seeing new heroes and expanding the meta (hello witch doctor!)

necro was picked by c9 like yesterday.

I'm starting to suspect c9 is just trying to break the meta. Didn't they also pick SB and Troll in the same damn game lol?

Sibylus

Banned
33 heroes picked 100 games or more (32%), 51 picked 50 games or more (50%), 73 picked 25 games or more (71%)... 8 heroes picked less than 10 games (7%).

Falk

that puzzling face
33 heroes picked 100 games or more (32%), 51 picked 50 games or more (50%), 73 picked 25 games or more (71%)... 8 heroes picked less than 10 games (7%).

This doesn't really highlight the underlying issue of there being regional fads though (Lycan never seeing play in China due to his early push potential so he gets banned right off, Mirana in EU as mentioned, etc) which only ever come under serious pressure when the disparate regions meet up head-to-head.

If you broke down the percentage of picks/popularity by region you'd see a much higher distribution of heroes that simply never get picked or banned in that specific region.

Sibylus

Banned
This doesn't really highlight the underlying issue of there being regional fads though (Lycan never seeing play in China due to his early push potential so he gets banned right off, Mirana in EU as mentioned, etc) which only ever come under serious pressure when the disparate regions meet up head-to-head.

If you broke down the percentage of picks/popularity by region you'd see a much higher distribution of heroes that simply never get picked or banned.
Different regions running different stuff is a strength of the meta and the scene, not a weakness.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

If you broke down the percentage of picks/popularity by region you'd see a much higher distribution of heroes that simply never get picked or banned in that specific region.

There will always be fads. You can give teams 50 bans in the first round, and discovered heroes #51-55 will become the new fads. And like Bo said, that's what makes dota awesome. China still valued ember spirit as a top pick for a long ass time after the west. The west values mirana way more than China. In China, anti-mage can actually win games. Makes things more interesting.

Artanisix

How is that an "underlying issue"?

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, that's true on all counts.

Maybe we just need to have more frequent internationals. :V

(I'm actually curious how this ridiculous whale of a prize pool is going to affect the professional community going forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom