• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

I think in dota 1 my first hero may have been Bloodseeker.

I picked him because the Orc Shaman model was badass.

I think I won due to rupture being pub stompy, I was pretty much a complete noob who thought dota 1 sucked because I never got the chance to learn it and had no idea what items were good.

In dota 2 I picked sven because he has two hander and fucking hits hard. Sven and DK were pretty much my starting hero bros.

I lost my first match but it didn't go that bad, it was pretty close, I had been playing HoN before I jumped aboard so I was familiar with a lot of controls and there's a similar hero in HoN.

Spookie

Who:
Michael Jordan

Why:
Because fissure looked cool and I wanted to dunk.

Result:
I was about as heavy as the world on Atlus' shoulders. But got carried to victory by a Fnatic player (200 people online at the time, 10 min queue). Good times. Can't get a VOD as the evidence was destroyed by Valve in a patch update.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Who:
Silencer

Why:
I thought he was pretty cool looking, I liked the Spellbreaker mode a lot.

Result:
Like 0-16, people told me to fuck myself and leave.

This was 9 years ago, given my email logs:
DotaPortal.com <dota@dotaportal.com>
12/24/05

to me
Ruhka,

DotaPortal is now back online on a more poewrful server.
We apologize for the recent downtime and any inconvenience that it might cause.
We wish you a Merry Christmas! =)

DP Team

-------------------------------------
DotaPortal.com Statistics:
-------------------------------------
Registered Users: 81205
Total Posts: 35550
Busiest Time: 1333 users were online on 7th December 2005 - 09:00 PM
Christ, 9 years of doto.

inkls

Who:
Tidehunter

Why:
Team needed a support and i was fill

Result:
No stats were recorded and i went 1/9/7. And a teammate kept flaming me and calling me noob.

Who:
Windrunner

Why:
I honestly don't remember, I probably just panicked and just picked one of the few heroes I practiced vs bots.

Results:
0-11, double null talisman, and some other dumb shit. I don't really want to watch that game again and cringe myself to death. It was a newbee game so no one yelled at me.

Spookie

So yeah I've just noticed it's almost been 3 years since I first started playing Dota 2, I've spent probably over £1k on shitty cosmetics and that's due to GAF. So in the theme of threes and the joke which has been running since the dawn of time: here is the third game in a trilogy! This give away is only open to Dota GAF.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845864.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Spookie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt -- MB-2551A36FD83C7661

t1405547872z1.png

BigAT

Who:
Sniper

Why:
He was the hero I was practicing with in bot matches, which I decided to do since I had never played a single game of any MOBA up to that point. As to why I decided on Sniper in the first place, I think I read something about him being a noob friendly hero? The fact that his model was so close to the WC3 Rifleman also probably contributed the decision.

Result:
I did alright!

I finished 7-8-4 (tied for the most K+A on my team) and had a relatively non-ridiculous item build, as well as being the highest level on my team. We lost the match, but my team had a Morphling that was 0-10-1 and finished at level 5 in a 40-minute match, so it doesn't appear to have been my fault.

So yeah I've just noticed it's almost been 3 years since I first started playing Dota 2, I've spent probably over £1k on shitty cosmetics and that's due to GAF. So in the theme of threes and the joke which has been running since the dawn of time: here is the third game in a trilogy! This give away is only open to Dota GAF.

Holy wow, that's generous. Thanks :D

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
Who:
Venomancer

Why:
First time playing Dota 1 (version 3.8 - Back in WC3 Classic) - Hydralisks were pretty badass in SC2.

Result:
Shit I barely remember - it wasn't a positive ratio that is for sure. I think I played a bunch of games in a row and then I tried a game as all-skill-random-all-random mode (random heroes with random skills from any hero)

traveler

Not Wario
Cross posting from TI thread. Last time, I swear.

I don't guess anyone would be interested in a TI4 Floor Seating ticket this late in the game?

Is it even possible for someone else to use the ticket or will they need my id to present in conjunction with the ticket?

Kioshen

Who:
Venomancer

Why:
He was one of the 10 hero challenge in the compendium and I liked the hero overall.

Result:
I got stomped hard. The only one who remotely looked like he knew what he was doing was the Pudge player. He ganked and did his hardest. VS fucked up the lane equilibrium like mad and failed miserably at last hitting. Tried to explain to stop trying to LS but to no avail. Did more LS during the short he was D/Ced than the whole 8 mins he did go at it. Died a couple of times trying to save AM which didn't end well either. Overall it was a cluster fuck on our side but I still had fun.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

dam ur awesome spookie

so to enter we just send "Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt -- MB-2551A36FD83C7661" to modbot?

Phandy

I hope I've posted enough in this thread to enter (hoping this might nudge me up 5th post), can you make an exception for me Spookiechan :3

sephi22

Who:
Crystal Maiden

Why:
Had talked to friends and knew enough from watching Purge videos that supports are underrepresented in low level pubs and are vital to winning. Picked CM because she was easy to understand.

Result:
Went 3/12/11. Took aura at level 1, and only Nova and Aura till 7 (maxed Nova). Took first point in Frostbite at 8 and Ult at 9. Of course I didn't know what the fuck I was doing. We lost and I didn't play the game for another 5 months.

5 months later, I decided to get in the game for real, picked CM again and went 5-0-13

mfaex

Great giveaway Spookie. Good luck to those that enter.

Back in DotA 1 my first hero:
Who: Lion
Why: I knew about Finger of Death from campaign.
Result: I blew a number of people to hell (and back and back to hell and back again).

I got my Dota 2 key in November 2011, when the beta was still pretty new. Me and a friend were playing League at the time and we both got an invite to the beta at the same time, in the middle of a match. We finished that match, installed Dota 2 and I don't think I've played another game of LoL since. I played Dota 1 until around the summer that year and then stopped because WC3 Dota was kind of a hassle to play. Battle.net pubs were awful and full of leavers, Garena was a shitty piece of software and the low-level Garena games weren't much better than Battle.net. We then switched to Dotalicious, which was really good, but the skill level was really high compared to me and my group of friends, so we lost like every game but one and then stopped.

Dota 1 first game:
Who:
Omniknight

Why:
Can't remember. It's like 8 years ago now. (6.35b)

Result:
I lost, my teammates were not happy with me only healing myself.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I started playing right before Warlock was the newest hero added to Dota 2. So sometime in the first week of November 2011. I came from LoL so I was godawful and took a while to adjust to being punished so severely for dying. I remember being really really excited for Invoker to be added because of how unique he was compared to most heroes/champions, and I loved Kael'thas in Warcraft.

So I played a ton of him when he was added

The first page of matches in my dotabuff profile tell a sad, sad story

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
First Dota game:

Who: Axe

Why: One of the guys I was playing with said it was his favorite hero, and noob friendly

Result: I killed no one, got complimented for only dying 8 times. I didn't feel like his ultimate was ultimate enough and I wished I'd picked a hero whose ultimate was just to do a bunch of damage so I could insta-kill an enemy...

Zoon

Who:
Shadow Fiend(dota 1)
Why:
It's a demon who gathers souls from those he kills.Also the name Nevermore
Result:
My first game was against bots, it went pretty well, I remember getting buriza,satanic and butterfly though I can't remember if I won.He became one of my favorite heroes but also the most hated one in dota2 because of his shitty model.

First Dota game:

Who?
Chen.

Why?
He's black. Needed someone to pick and that made it easy.

Result
http://dotabuff.com/matches/3780020

Never having spent more than a couple of hours with any MOBA before installing and hopping into Dota 2 matchmaking...well, what do you expect. I was in lane farming, dominating lane creeps and shit because I didn't know any better.

Kioshen

That's very generous. Hats off to you !
smile.gif

Anilusion

You're awesome!

Who?

Dragon Knight

Why?

I had only played a single game of Dota ever before, and in that game I randomed DK.

Result

6/6/10, 333 GPM
http://dotabuff.com/matches/148230

Also worth mentioning is that the Spectre player is the ex-professional Reesion.

(No, I don't know him even though both of us are swedish. Back when he played in Pulse he was verified on Dotabuff.)

Zocano

(DotA 1)

Who:
Lich

Why:
He had Kel'Thuzad's portrait in the hero selection and motherfuckin' Kel'Thuzad, man.

Result:
Did okay? Probably got carried by my team (and this was with a whole group of friends as we started playing for the first time.I remember loving throwing out Ult's all day long. The obtuse as fuck item system though made me go wut and I basically just had nothing the whole game cause I couldn't figure out what i needed to buy (I think I bought a null talisman and managed to get Agh's maybe).

Who:

Lina

Why:

She was hot and a fiery redhead

What happened:

One dude on our team abandoned, but we kept at it and lost. by the end, I had 2 medallions, Yasha, brown boots, drums and a branch.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
First Dota game:

Who?
Chen.

Why?
He's black. Needed someone to pick and that made it easy.

Result
http://dotabuff.com/matches/3780020

Never having spent more than a couple of hours with any MOBA before installing and hopping into Dota 2 matchmaking...well, what do you expect. I was in lane farming, dominating lane creeps and shit because I didn't know any better.

DK is black, tho I guess that's a little harder to spot with his default/most of his cosmetics.

Why are there only two black guys in Dota?

xanavi

I still remember my first game of war3 dota because of the brutal way my friends introduced me to it. It was 2v2 me and another newb friend vs the two of them, seasoned killers. I picked shadowfiend because he looked badass and he picked centaur. My friends very deliberately picked lion and shaman to go up against us. I went offlane and cent went mid. We both got absolutely clowned on for 20 minutes. Lion with dagon and shaman with euls, they just repeatedly insta-gibbed us when we got to lane. I was hooked; I wanted to beat these fools so badly.

Turns out they didn't even play against anything tougher than hard AI 2v5. I surpassed them in a few months but I never got my rematch.

Hung_real

I still remember my first game of war3 dota because of the brutal way my friends introduced me to it. It was 2v2 me and another newb friend vs the two of them, seasoned killers. I picked shadowfiend because he looked badass and he picked centaur. My friends very deliberately picked lion and shaman to go up against us. I went offlane and cent went mid. We both got absolutely clowned on for 20 minutes. Lion with dagon and shaman with euls, they just repeatedly insta-gibbed us when we got to lane. I was hooked; I wanted to beat these fools so badly.

My first 2vs2 was against PA and Brood. Puck was just added then and they didn't bother to tell me how his skills work

One of them got married last fall i think

Who:
Alchemist

Why:
Looked like this hero in LoL. No idea who that hero is but I remember he had some chemical rage stuff going on and alchemist seemed similar.

What happened:
Stunned myself a ton and didn't know why. Lost the match but only went 0-4-0 in a 16 minute match. Looking at the stats it looks like someone abandoned so most likely everyone left. I was level 5 so I probably dropped as well.

RS4-

I've had spookie on my friends list for the longest time but I don't think I've actually played with the guy :(

Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've actually done any matchmaking with fellow GAFers. Last time was that damn bloom harvest thing where we got jade hoofs. And where I regret not selling it immediately.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Hello dota thread, coming up in 20 mins, that's 9:00pm Eastern is 1.09 and recently deceased Gofu attempting to win RD2L Season 4.

Will they be able to persevere through their captain getting married and possibly murdered, no longer arriving for games? Will Gofu's 1000 ping at all times thanks to some of the worst internet in the country stop him from winning the middle lane?

Tune in to http://www.twitch.tv/anbokr find out. Casted by Anbokr and myself, now with improved (NO STATIC FROM BOKR) audio!

Top Bottom