• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Key Arena just sent an email, it says the games start at 10am. Wonder if its a mistake or if valve just decided to push it back a bit.

RS4-

Speaking of first heroes, at least in Dota 2, won 7 out of 10 matches with Tinker. Then 8 straight with NP.

So bad. Since then, I don't think I've picked NP twice in a row for normal games. I've got maybe 40 furion games total in three years.

Key Arena just sent an email, it says the games start at 10am. Wonder if its a mistake or if valve just decided to push it back a bit.

Got the same email. Wonder if it is stadium logistics, preshow stuff, or a mix of both? Or Key Arena not knowing what's up again.

Chris R

Well we saw how early the phase 3 days ended. If Naga isn't picked and the games started at 9 we could be out as soon as 2 or 3.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Hello dota thread, coming up in 20 mins, that's 9:00pm Eastern is 1.09 and recently deceased Gofu attempting to win RD2L Season 4.

Will they be able to persevere through their captain getting married and possibly murdered, no longer arriving for games? Will Gofu's 1000 ping at all times thanks to some of the worst internet in the country stop him from winning the middle lane?

Tune in to http://www.twitch.tv/anbokr find out. Casted by Anbokr and myself, now with improved (NO STATIC FROM BOKR) audio!

stream is live, game starting in a few minutes: twitch.tv/anbokr.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I interpreted it originally as the gates opening at 9, in which case this makes sense.

Edit; though I see the email says gates at 8. So I dunno.

Sanjay

Hello dota thread, coming up in 20 mins, that's 9:00pm Eastern is 1.09 and recently deceased Gofu attempting to win RD2L Season 4.

Will they be able to persevere through their captain getting married and possibly murdered, no longer arriving for games? Will Gofu's 1000 ping at all times thanks to some of the worst internet in the country stop him from winning the middle lane?

Tune in to http://www.twitch.tv/anbokr find out. Casted by Anbokr and myself, now with improved (NO STATIC FROM BOKR) audio!

Well this is going to be a stomp, go easy guys.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope it really is 10, would make the morning so much less stressful. Leave at 7, go to the shop, grab some food, then get a chair in the floor section.

Chris R

109 doin werk

I hope it really is 10, would make the morning so much less stressful. Leave at 7, go to the shop, grab some food, then get a chair in the floor section.

Friday is going to suuuuuuuuuck :( Wish games started at 9 on Friday because if they don't I'm going to have fuck all to do in town from 5 AM until gates open.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
109 doin werk

Friday is going to suuuuuuuuuck :( Wish games started at 9 on Friday because if they don't I'm going to have fuck all to do in town from 5 AM until gates open.
You can still enter the arena at 8 like before, maybe join me in line for hitting up the shop.

Chris R

You can still enter the arena at 8 like before, maybe join me in line for hitting up the shop.

I might. Going to grab some coffee and breakfast after I land and try to check in early or at least get my luggage stored but beyond that I have no Friday morning plans.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Took 3 attempts to beat my Morphling daily challenge (what is it with people in the shit tier that pick supports and refuse to buy support items? Your 40 minute Bloodstone isn't helping us win, Lina...). That's a hero I have only tried to play a few times with pretty poor results but on that third try when I finally got the shotgun up and running, holy balls what a fun late game hero. What's more fun than being to erase a hero from existence with 2-3 button presses?

Really wish it wasn't like impossible to secure last hits with him at level 1. I tried to go mid one game and couldn't buy a last hit with his piddly 40-something damage.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
anyone have that dotagaf TI spreadsheet that can send me a link or sumthin? i wanna meet up with all u cool gaffers

Ketch

anyone have that dotagaf TI spreadsheet that can send me a link or sumthin i wanna meet up with all u cool gaffers

I pm'd it to you.

I'm driving up Friday morning. Maybe we can do an early GAF breakfast if there's nothing to do.

I added a column to the spreadsheet for phone numbers.... is that a thing people are okay with?

It's not a very large group. maybe we can just do a mass text?

Lotto

We still doing this?

Who:
ClWYqSq.png

Why:
I like watermelons and fish dragging. I also remember seeing him in the first International. His Ravage ultimate looked so ridiculously overpowered and awesome compared to anything I've seen in LoL.

Result:
Got Heart of Tarrasque and a Blink Dagger and won with some friends. I attribute the win mostly to having good friends that played Dota before.

I've also played the original DotA All-Stars once or twice and I kinda remember choosing one of the goblins. I was able to build a pocket factory that summoned machines I think. It was either one of the goblins or a naga/myrmidon cause I liked their models.

Acerac

Banned
Hey all. Just transitioned from LoL and have been having pretty decent success adapting. That said, I have know I have a huge way to go, and feel like I'm being consistently matched with people who know absurdly more than I do about the game (smurfs?). While I've been carryable, this makes for a difficult environment for trying new heroes. Any advice for a decent way to learn? I practice v bots but it hardly seems the best method... should I just keep doing normals?

And right now its literally impossible to kill a tinker one on one
hes a carry youre not supposed to be able to one on one them when they get their core items up

if you could theyd be pretty shitty carries

Hey all. Just transitioned from LoL and have been having pretty decent success adapting. That said, I have know I have a huge way to go, and feel like I'm being consistently matched with people who know absurdly more than I do about the game (smurfs?). While I've been carryable, this makes for a difficult environment for trying new heroes. Any advice for a decent way to learn? I practice v bots but it hardly seems the best method... should I just keep doing normals?
It could be smurfs. They get weeded out pretty fast though and are really only bad right now because of the compendium. I'd recommend friending gaffers and playing with them. There are tons from all skill levels.

Bots can be good depending on your hesitancy to go against real people, but you should transition to reals after you sort of know all the items and heroes well enough in my opinion.

As for learning heroes, just go for it. You're in a low mmr and everyone else is doing it so why not? It's no big deal.

Just do normal matches. You'll get matched up and down as MMR changes and as much as people gripe about it, it's pretty effective at ball park-ing your skill level. You could try watching Purge Plays for whatever hero you want to try and playing a game against the highest level bots (those fuckers cheat at LHing) just as some practice. Unfortunately DotA really is a game where you learn by playing. The more you play the more knowledgeable you will be as long as you pay attention and asses your own play.

If you have any specfic heroes in mind a lot of people around here could give you pointers as well.

hes a carry youre not supposed to be able to one on one them when they get their core items up

if you could theyd be pretty shitty carries

I wouldn't say he's intended to be a hard carry though. He's somewhat in the same tier as Death Prophet or Nature's Prophet. Yes, they have "carry potential" but they aren't intended to be on par for someone like Void or AM. Tinker is in a better position than either of those heroes though because Laser can put a hurting on a right clicker with no MKB, and he has the ability to continuously reset the cooldowns of his abilities.

Not if you're someone with a disable/BKB and get the jump on Tinker, but why are you trying to fight him one on one anyway?

In trench tier (anything below 4.5k in my mind, it includes me) people tend ot play Tinker as a scumbag roaming ganker, so if you try and push a creep wave he comes oughta nowhere and makes your life hell. The real problem is nobody ever ganks Tinker before he comes online. What is it with peoples phobias of ganking mid? If you delay a Tinker from getting BoT's by like 5 minutes it makes him significantly less impactful.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Look he'd still be fucking fine as a global pusher with some nuking power. He doesn't also need to be able to literally keep someone disabled 100% of the time

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In trench tier (anything below 4.5k in my mind, it includes me) people tend ot play Tinker as a scumbag roaming ganker, so if you try and push a creep wave he comes oughta nowhere and makes your life hell. The real problem is nobody ever ganks Tinker before he comes online. What is it with peoples phobias of ganking mid? If you delay a Tinker from getting BoT's by like 5 minutes it makes him significantly less impactful.

We kept him down, we were even pushing their rax, but once he gets his hex up it was a fucking nightmare. I was playing Weaver and I was completely neutered because even after I used Rewind he'd have Hex up again

Also it was super rich them complaining about our "rat strat" when their literal first pick was Tinker

Acerac

Banned
It could be smurfs. They get weeded out pretty fast though and are really only bad right now because of the compendium. I'd recommend friending gaffers and playing with them. There are tons from all skill levels.

Bots can be good depending on your hesitancy to go against real people, but you should transition to reals after you sort of know all the items and heroes well enough in my opinion.

As for learning heroes, just go for it. You're in a low mmr and everyone else is doing it so why not? It's no big deal.

I mean, new players could have a level 300 compendium. It's not impossible...

Real people haven't been TOO much of an issue. Thankfully my experience in LoL is helping me know when I've fed too much, but last hitting is frustrating once one falls behind and I'm not sure what to do when bullied out of lane. Items in dota are ridiculously expensive, if I can't farm I just kinda stagnate. This becomes worse if I have a hero that has difficulty with jungle creeps.
Just do normal matches. You'll get matched up and down as MMR changes and as much as people gripe about it, it's pretty effective at ball park-ing your skill level. You could try watching Purge Plays for whatever hero you want to try and playing a game against the highest level bots (those fuckers cheat at LHing) just as some practice. Unfortunately DotA really is a game where you learn by playing. The more you play the more knowledgeable you will be as long as you pay attention and asses your own play.

If you have any specfic heroes in mind a lot of people around here could give you pointers as well.

Aye, they've not been too scary. As far as what I've used, I've mostly gone Sven/Venomancer/Viper/Witch Doctor/Shadow Shaman/Lich but it's been difficult narrowing it down. Too many heroes to choose from, why can't they charge me 10 bucks apiece for every one like they do in LoL? :(

I mean, new players could have a level 300 compendium. It's not impossible...

Real people haven't been TOO much of an issue. Thankfully my experience in LoL is helping me know when I've fed too much, but last hitting is frustrating once one falls behind, and I'm not sure what to do when bullied out of lane. Items in dota is ridiculously expensive, if I can't farm I just kinda stagnate. This becomes worse if I have a hero that has difficulty with jungle creeps.
Oh yeah for sure. I figured you were saying there was like always one guy who was 71-0 in every match on his like second game.

Last hitting is mechanically harder than in League, combined with the fact that there are less actual creeps that are worth more, it can be a pretty big problem. I'd just play and you'll pick it up as you go and get substantially better. You can load up a private lobby with just yourself and practice last hitting if you want. If you're melee get a quelling blade.

It's hard to give specific examples, or know precisely what your problem is, but maybe just focus on getting more mid tier items (drums, mek, veil etc) and getting stuff done with those if you're finding yourself way out of range of bigger items.

Too many heroes to choose from, why can't they charge me 10 bucks apiece for every one like they do in LoL? :(
I think you know the answer to that already.

You are picking some good heroes for new players though. If you wanna figure out carries alongside Sven, Viper/Dragon Knight/Wraith King (figure out mana management first though) are good choices.

Manus

We kept him down, we were even pushing their rax, but once he gets his hex up it was a fucking nightmare. I was playing Weaver and I was completely neutered because even after I used Rewind he'd have Hex up again

Also it was super rich them complaining about our "rat strat" when their literal first pick was Tinker

Did you have a Linkin's by any chance? It would at least stop some of the hexes.

xanavi

If you're trying to fight a tinker without a bkb 1v1 you're in for a real bad time. Most of the time you can't even hit him because you'll both be ethereal and if you're not ethereal then you're definitely hexed. You really should be fighting him with a +1 though since in a 1v1 he can almost always just blink away if he's losing.

Top Bottom