• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What trench am I in where our Bloodseeker mid can buy as first item (after quelling blade but before even brown boots) a 20 minute relic to radiance rush yet we somehow still win?

dmshaposv

For all the hype he gets, rtz played really average in TI4. The real playmakers and stars for EG are clearly universe and zai.

I think ppd should stick around as capt/drafter and increase mason's hero pool. Mason did fine on heroes he is used to, but struggled with heroes we havent seen him play. I doubt fear is going to comeback now, seems like the ship has sailed on that.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Yeah I watched the games and saw in one gofu had like 600 ping.

Procarbine confirmed dead weight.

Aren't the other small NA tourneys also free? Or no interest in doing them?

?? I didn't even play in rd2l. Rd2l is just random people signing up to play and getting drafted by captains. It's like a long running pick up game, without the mmr entry restrictions of ixdl.

We don't enter tournaments because we aren't a team and aren't trying to be. We just play dota. We'll jump in to some tiny tournaments just for funsies, but nothing where anyone is serious.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
"need tank" is one of the funnier things noobs said when I used to play in the trench

I was playing with a trasher-gaf 4 stack and our warlock decided not to skill fatal bonds... ever. At the end of the game we asked him, "why?" and his response was, "fatal bond only good in tank meta." I still remember EazyB asking the dude if "tank meta" was an iphone game, and I was just laughing so hard I was nearly crying.

By the way, I played a 5on5 with a some Dota "friends" yesterdays and I picked Terrorblade and pushed them to death. I got called names and I don't they'll invite me ever again. I didn't know the hero is still considered cancer!? Or was it them being butthurt? He's got a shitty pub winrate and I could think of, like, 10-15 heroes off the top of my head which are good against him. The enemy team had none but how is that on me?

Do I have to feel bad for picking him? He was hilariously OP prior to his nerf, I totally concurr, but is he still? I just felt I outplayed them honestly.

"need tank" is one of the funnier things noobs said when I used to play in the trench

I was playing with a trasher-gaf 4 stack and our warlock decided not to skill fatal bonds... ever. At the end of the game we asked him, "why?" and his response was, "fatal bond only good in tank meta." I still remember EazyB asking the dude if "tank meta" was an iphone game, and I was just laughing so hard I was nearly crying.

Honest question, is there really no incentive to have at least one durable hero on your team? I would think having a hero that can initiate and soak up a bunch of damage (centaur, brewmaster, wraith king, etc.) would really benefit an otherwise squishy team. Why is it dumb/ignorant to say you 'need a tank'? I understand enemies can choose to not attack these heroes at all (unless they're axe), but you can only ignore a wraith king for so long.

Madouu

Honest question, is there really no incentive to have at least one durable hero on your team? I would think having a hero that can initiate and soak up a bunch of damage (centaur, brewmaster, wraith king, etc.) would really benefit an otherwise squishy team. Why is it dumb/ignorant to say you 'need a tank'? I understand enemies can choose to not attack these heroes at all (unless they're axe), but you can only ignore a wraith king for so long.

I would say the ignorant part is the mindset that every single lineup needs a tanky hero to be effective, which is what quite a few people mistakingly think. In addition to this, the heroes you mentioned bring much more to the table than their natural durability, Centaur's abilities are much more important than his strength gain and hp pool, the same goes for Brewmaster's split and let's not forget how much wraith king was ignored at higher level play before the buff to his ultimate. The point I'm trying to make here is that tankiness comes after the skill set a particular hero brings to the table and how it synergizes with the team, else, skilled and intelligent opponents will just ignore the tanky hero and focus on the more important ones.

In my experience in matchmaking, both in hon & dota, the people that complain about no tanks at the start of the game have all turned out to be particularly terrible, thus the stereotype. Luckily, I haven't seen it mentioned seriously in all chat in months now.

I think you make a good point. It's possibly more that "we need tank" just sounds a bit simplistic, like they think tanking is a gameplan in of itself as if they're playing WoW. (I knew a guy who always wanted to balance the main stat type on the team, as in "someone pick an agi hero we don't have one yet".)

It's not that durability isn't important, but things like lockdown and damage output are arguably more so. If you can reliably get the jump on the enemy team and drop a bunch of damage on them before they can reply then being squishy doesn't matter so much. This is particularly true late game, as innate survivability usually drops off while sustained damage goes through the roof and squishy heroes can buy mobility items to help them survive.

I do think having a tanky hero on your team gives you more room for error with your initiation though. Like if you play Enigma, having a Bristle on your team who just runs at the enemy can buy you some time to find a good black hole, since he disrupts the enemy positioning by just bristling away at them. This is also true when going high ground since having someone who isn't afraid to walk up the enemy ramp can be pretty handy.

The other side of it is sometimes the enemy initiation and burst is just better. Like if you play 4 squishy heroes against a QuoP naix bomb with silencer ulti you might find everyone is dead before they cast a spell. Similarly if someone picks a Void early in the draft you might want to pick more survivable heroes so he can't kill two of them in the chrono with only a MoM. There's probably other cases as well. I saw a few games at TI with DP and SS on the same team, and it seemed really hard for some teams to start the fight even under their tower, since the ghosts and wards together are something low hp heroes don't want to go near.

Just got battered by a Wraith King who went 46-1

At the end he was just entering our fountain-base, 2-shotting us then being revived by his Ult or Aegis when the fountain killed him

Should have been keeping an eye on the scoreboard and kill-log, by the time we realised he was dominating, he already had a 5-0 advantage over his mid opponent and was like 6 levels higher than everyone else

Just got battered by a Wraith King who went 46-1

At the end he was just entering our fountain-base, 2-shotting us then being revived by his Ult or Aegis when the fountain killed him

Should have been keeping an eye on the scoreboard and kill-log, by the time we realised he was dominating, he already had a 5-0 advantage over his mid opponent and was like 6 levels higher than everyone else

got a dotabuff of this? Sounds hilarious

Anilusion

http://dotabuff.com/matches/792672074

Before judging my items, the game was up after about 15 minutes :p

Even with 2 of their team abandoning after like level 6, we got absolutely smashed. Viper kept telling everyone to push mid when WK was winning 5vs1 teamfights

There are some hilariously bad skill builds in that game. And how can 3 people in your team have nothing but boots after 35 minutes? :p

edit: KotL doesn't even have boots lol. But what can you expect from a KotL that puts a point in stats at level 1.

Jex

I know that I'm only playing at plasticine-tier MMR, but whenever the enemy drafts a Void I just insist that are team draft tanky heroes who can push and fight early. This often results in the Void chronoing our DK in Dragon Form, and then running away. It just seems a sensible thing to do in a certain kind of game.

Not that I think every draft needs durability, but there's certainly a place for it.

Skab

I thought "tanks" as an archetype was a LoL thing?

Nah, applies to Dota as well. If you want to get technical about it, it was applied to Dota heroes before League, since Dota 1 came first.

I know that I'm only playing at plasticine-tier MMR, but whenever the enemy drafts a Void I just insist that are team draft tanky heroes who can push and fight early. This often results in the Void chronoing our DK in Dragon Form, and then running away. It just seems a sensible thing to do in a certain kind of game.

Not that I think every draft needs durability, but there's certainly a place for it.

Having a Void kill himself on you inside his chrono, because youre a tanky hero who popped blaidmail before he landed it on you, is quite an amazing feeling.

Ugliest set in the game:

Rubick is cheeky and either oblivious or totally unimpressed by the enemies he is facing. This set does not fit that at all, in my opinion this makes him look like some generic faux-badass devilwizard.
It also doesn't work with pretty much every item Rubick has. The cape clips with everything including Rubick's default items.

Having an item with severe clipping issues on the default hero model should be grounds for rejection imo. Especially on a set in the drop system, people will only be using pieces of it.

manfestival

For all the hype he gets, rtz played really average in TI4. The real playmakers and stars for EG are clearly universe and zai.

I think ppd should stick around as capt/drafter and increase mason's hero pool. Mason did fine on heroes he is used to, but struggled with heroes we havent seen him play. I doubt fear is going to comeback now, seems like the ship has sailed on that.

are you trash talking lord rtz? BRO BRO!

are you trash talking lord rtz? BRO BRO!

They lost every game he was shut down, so it's not unjustified. He didn't know how to recover, and continued to make the same mistakes that put him behind in the first place. I saw so many games where he got picked off for being out of position when he should have been back.

DanSaxon

They lost every game he was shut down, so it's not unjustified. He didn't know how to recover, and continued to make the same mistakes that put him behind in the first place. I saw so many games where he got picked off for being out of position when he should have been back.

Yeah he still has stuff to learn but you can't disagree that he has a tonne of potential.

Ultrabum

They lost every game he was shut down.

So when RTZ is getting 3-4 maned mid and the other lanes have space they lose, and it's RTZ's fault.

When RTZ has space they win...

Sounds like RTZ is the better player to me.

I would more criticize their draft than RTZs play, which is by and large above average.

Anilusion

They lost every game he was shut down.

So when RTZ is getting 3-4 maned mid and the other lanes have space they lose, and it's RTZ's fault.

When RTZ has space they win...

Sounds like RTZ is the better player to me.

I would more criticize their draft than RTZs play, which is by and large above average.

That's one way to put it. Or you could think it like when RTZ gets shut down he can't get back into the game so it's basically 4v5 at that point.

Wraith King players who skip Blink Dagger and Mjollnir and go for the oldschool Deso + AC build don't belong in my bracket.

When I'm on a losing streak, I always pick Wraith King and get a win maybe 75% of the time.

WK is the best. I tend to go Blink always first, into either BKB, Basher or Deso depending on the needs of me and my team. Like yesterday the enemy had practically no magic but lots of escape, so basher worked very well, but a few days ago the enemy had lots of hard stuns and stuff, so I went BKB and it worked great. He's very flexible in what he can build and I love how gracefully he transitions from an early game support to a late game semi-carry with only minimal farm.

Also I always get Arcane Boots.

Top Bottom