• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Low Tier
OknZKDG.png

Ember is shameless mmr

Been having a look at Dotamax's most played heroes tab and you can split it by skill group and ranked and normal and it comes out roughly like this

Normal Matchmaking
Normal 77%
High 15%
Very High 8%

Ranked Matchmaking
Normal 57.5%
High 22.5%
Very High 20%

50% of Very High matches are in ranked
40% of High matches are in ranked
24% of Normal matches are in ranked

Can't really draw that much from it but at least it seems like people with higher MMR's are more interested in playing ranked (expected), average MMR in Ranked is in the Normal category (Sub 3.2k roughly I think).

Obviously this is based on games played and not unique players but thought it was interesting enough anyway considering a few days ago we were discussing the average MMR

Nirvana

I just feel like his ultimate is incredibly strong, and the fact that he doesn't even need to use it to initiate makes it even stronger, because it means he can leave a remnant behind somewhere and instantly get back to safety. He can split push incredibly well with it as well, since there is no cast time on the damn thing he can just instantly disappear.

I feel like he has too many advantages. He's good in the early laning stage against a lot of heroes due to the tankiness his spell shield gives him, and the huge damage output from chains + SOF combo. He is great in the mid-game because he has strong mobility and lots of damage, and uses runes incredibly well, which makes his ganks effective. He is amazing in the late game because he does absurd amounts of damage in an aoe and has a great escape. His escape also allows him to split push incredibly effectively due to an instant cast time and cross-map range.

The fact that unique attack modifiers proc off his SOF means he has a lot of item build variance as well, which isn't something all that small in reality, since it means you can itemize more efficiently on him than some carries.

The hero just has way too many benefits and too few downsides.

OknZKDG.png

Ember is shameful mmr

FTFY.

In all seriousness, you do have to be good at the hero for him to be effective. He definitely doesn't have a low skill floor/ceiling. He's still broken as fuck though imo.

Low Tier
Have you considered Disruptor or Skywrath as supports to deal with him? What about Viper/OD/Razor if he's going mid? What about Earth Spirit or Phoenix as offlaners to deal with him? You're horribly over-exaggerating how strong that hero is

Anyone else still of the opinion that Ember is broken as hell?

His winrate is pretty weak overall though, I mean he's sub 50% in both pro games and matchmaking (48% Very High, 46% High, 43% Normal). He's a snowballing carry if he gets a good start he's going to do really well but if he's shut down early on or you have good lock down (even a silence works) he can be easily dealt with

Razzer

I just feel like his ultimate is incredibly strong, and the fact that he doesn't even need to use it to initiate makes it even stronger, because it means he can leave a remnant behind somewhere and instantly get back to safety. He can split push incredibly well with it as well, since there is no cast time on the damn thing he can just instantly disappear.

I feel like he has too many advantages. He's good in the early laning stage against a lot of heroes due to the tankiness his spell shield gives him, and the huge damage output from chains + SOF combo. He is great in the mid-game because he has strong mobility and lots of damage, and uses runes incredibly well, which makes his ganks effective. He is amazing in the late game because he does absurd amounts of damage in an aoe and has a great escape. His escape also allows him to split push incredibly effectively due to an instant cast time and cross-map range.

The fact that unique attack modifiers proc off his SOF means he has a lot of item build variance as well, which isn't something all that small in reality, since it means you can itemize more efficiently on him than some carries.

The hero just has way too many benefits and too few downsides.

FTFY.

In all seriousness, you do have to be good at the hero for him to be effective. He definitely doesn't have a low skill floor/ceiling. He's still broken as fuck though imo.

Does he tho? Most people max sleight last so it probably wont be maxed till the end of the mid game and his damage outside of sleight is poor. And in early game he isn't as strong as you make him out to be. He has enough that he can farm, but any ranged hero with decent base damage will do fine against him mid. If you can delay how fast he gets his first battlefury he doesn't farm as fast as some other carries, and really relies on Snowballing. That said, if you are good on the hero, in solo pubs you won't be focused as much so you can snowball. Just thinking aloud here.

SamVimes

Have you considered Disruptor or Skywrath as supports to deal with him? What about Viper/OD/Razor if he's going mid? What about Earth Spirit or Phoenix as offlaners to deal with him? You're horribly over-exaggerating how strong that hero is

You're right but i don't know if saying that you can counter an hero with phoenix or earth spirit is a good argument.

Also if he couldn't chain during SoF he would be fucking garbage, you guys are crazy.

I feel like he has too many advantages. He's good in the early laning stage against a lot of heroes due to the tankiness his spell shield gives him, and the huge damage output from chains + SOF combo.
He's not level 16 in early game :p
Chains was nerfed so if he's maxing spellshield early he'll only have one point in chains which is really shitty now.
If he wants a second point his sleight of fist isn't leveled (or one point and a very long cooldown) so he can't use it for free harrass.

Ember now has to choose between survivability/ganking or harrass, and can't just solo kill you with a long chains + high lvl shield early on

He's a lot weaker in early game than he was before (not that he isn't strong mid and lategame), he used to have it all with that one point in searing chains before the nerf

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I wanna get my party MMR up, but I know no-one to party ranked with me (probbaly cause I'll drag them into the abyss)

Soloqueue in Au is like playing russian roulette with a 5 bullet barrel :<

saw you on last night but I was about to head to bed so I didn't pm you. I think we played on USW before with ok lag so I'm down. team MMR is 2800ish only thou lol and I'm still on the road pretty often since it's still rush season for my work (gona have more time in anout a month or so)

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Ember is stronk. Screw pro and dotabuff winrates, he's right there with TA for best heroes to grind MMR on and completely control the game as a lone wolf.

Not to mention he is in that perfect tier 2 pick spot where you know he's not going to get any nerfs, but when heroes like razor, Lycan, doom, void, brew etc... get nerfed, who is going to benefit? Dat ember.

He's not level 16 in early game :p
Chains was nerfed so if he's maxing spellshield early he'll only have one point in chains which is really shitty now.
If he wants a second point his sleight of fist isn't leveled (or one point and a very long cooldown) so he can't use it for free harrass.

Ember now has to choose between survivability/ganking or harrass, and can't just solo kill you with a long chains + high lvl shield early on

He's a lot weaker in early game than he was before (not that he isn't strong mid and lategame), he used to have it all with that one point in searing chains before the nerf

Plus SOF were silly with 150 bonus damage at level 7.

What the fuck. The Dota 2 Wiki says I have made a contribution in the hero difficulty article. I have NEVER done that...

Sibylus

Banned
Likely.

Also, reading the LoL wiki trying to figure out which Champ I want to try and port with the mod tools next, I find the fact that this if the first line a bit funny.

I mean, I guess you shouldn't assume, but I find it amusing they have to state which game she belongs to, and they reference it (Only reference on the page to boot)
Veigar sounds interesting (Tinker repurpose?). Anivia was fun (Blue Phoenix). Janna too, I spose? (blonde lina?)

Low Tier
i go either 2-1-2-1 at 6, or 2-0-3-1 and then max flameguard. Phase bottle (or basi if im safelane) drums bfury is the best bet imo.

Demoli

Ember is stronk. Screw pro and dotabuff winrates, he's right there with TA for best heroes to grind MMR on and completely control the game as a lone wolf.

Not to mention he is in that perfect tier 2 pick spot where you know he's not going to get any nerfs, but when heroes like razor, Lycan, doom, void, brew etc... get nerfed, who is going to benefit? Dat ember.

I dont know, Doom and Void deal with ember well yes, but Lycan, Razor and Brew dont have any hard stuns to deal with ember. Lycan straight up feed him units to cleave and can be kited well with remnants and chains.

Ember is fine tho, love the hero.

Acinixys

Does he tho? Most people max sleight last so it probably wont be maxed till the end of the mid game and his damage outside of sleight is poor. And in early game he isn't as strong as you make him out to be. He has enough that he can farm, but any ranged hero with decent base damage will do fine against him mid. If you can delay how fast he gets his first battlefury he doesn't farm as fast as some other carries, and really relies on Snowballing. That said, if you are good on the hero, in solo pubs you won't be focused as much so you can snowball. Just thinking aloud here.

I have to disagree

In a pub where most of your teamies are retards Ember is scary as hell

Whenever the enemy picks Ember im forced to pick Drow or someone with a hardcore silence, else I know he will decimate my useless team

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Played 6 ranked games yesterday, people complain way to much if you are losing. Also I feel Storm is a game losing pick at 3.8k.

I'm not sure if I just really suck at Silencer or if my team was just bad, but I'm leaning towards I just suck with him after the game I actually won with him. He really does destroy so many heroes early on, but I have a hard time using Global outside full on team fights.

Heros that are fucking stupid and should get nefed

Void
Tinker (rearm doesnt reset blink pls)
Skywrath

Thats all ty Icefraud

Void needs a bit of a tweak. Maybe revert his movespeed-in-chrono buff and raise the cooldown on chronosphere.

Tinker...blink tweak will do it.

Skywrath is fine. If you want to bump Sky, reduce the slow % on his W. Make landing the ult more difficult and less likely to get solo kills with. Maybe drop the damage amp on silence by 5% at all levels.

Tide will be hit magnitudes higher than ember by the nerf stick. Ember will be untouched or get small nerfs/buffs like base stats/ stat gain.

If Tide gets an armor nerf, he will be mediocre again. What ice frog needs to do is give every hero a passive and a escape to make it fair for everyone

Anyone think Terroblade is still a bit on the good side as well? It's only a very inexpert gut impression but his illus seem too strong to me. He farms and pushes so fast with his W.

mephixto

Banned
Tide will be hit magnitudes higher than ember by the nerf stick. Ember will be untouched or get small nerfs/buffs like base stats/ stat gain.

My predicition is that he will remain untouched next balance patch, he is only good cause his ultimate, all his other spells fall short late game, only ravage remain relevant later on.

Messiah

My predicition is that he will remain untouched next balance patch, he is only good cause his ultimate, all his other spells fall short late game, only ravage remain relevant later on.

Anchor Smash is crazy good on all levels I mean 40% damage reduction come on!

Anyone think Terroblade is still a bit on the good side as well? It's only a very inexpert gut impression but his illus seem too strong to me. He farms and pushes so fast with his W.

I haven't played him much but it's impossible to stop him from farming (and also endlessly pushing out lanes with zero risk or investment) as he can just endlessly send illusions down the lanes and into the jungle. That doesn't seem right to me, he's like an exort (forge spirits) invoker on crack without the downsides/sacrifices.
The few games I played on him no matter how hard me and my team were losing, as long as the enemy team failed to finish in time (even if they had all of us cornered in our base for 15 minutes) I would get my items.
It's not just the free riskless farm but also the amount of space the constant lane out pushing creates for a losing team with 0 map control.
Being able to push out lanes without risk is so big especially in pubs, normally if you are losing your lanes are pushed in and when you do win a fight you 'll probably need to win another one to really turn it around as the first one "only" allows you to retake some map control and push out the lanes.

I also think his demon form is kind of retarded at lvl 1 considering how much base armor he has too but that's just my opinion.

dmshaposv

Void defo needs a nerf. Dmg or chrono cooldown incease for sure.

U know a hero is broken is if he is played like shit all game and with just MoM/maelstrom he can kill ur late game carry 50 mins in with just two items.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I dont know, Doom and Void deal with ember well yes, but Lycan, Razor and Brew dont have any hard stuns to deal with ember. Lycan straight up feed him units to cleave and can be kited well with remnants and chains.

Ember is fine tho, love the hero.

It has less to do with these heroes specifically countering ember and more to do with his relative strength on the figurative hero totem pool.

For example, you nerf a, b, c popular carry or mid, who is poised to take their spot? That guy waiting in the gates at D, who is hella strong but is just in the right place to avoid the nerf at.

But yeah he's fine right now, just strong. But with an insanely versatile hero like ember that has crazy mobility, damage, and long range CC: he will always have a place in the game.

Also shoutout to all the nerds who spent pages and months arguing with me over deso vs. battlefury stacking, I still love you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Terror is paper now. He needs extreme babysitting to do his usual thing.

Chris R

ESL announced the New York event structure. No China v China finals!!!

Kinda wish NA would be dropped to two invites and SEA was given one instead of giving SNA/NarVi an auto invite.

Top Bottom