• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i am seeing a hell of a lot of tree aghs today

weren't people saying yesterday that it never happens and isn't a problem?

i see a lot of aghs tiny, this is a problem.

The only thing that makes tree look overpowered is sniper, and how that hero completely invalidates high ground pushes--even more so with tree vision. I was talking to milk earlier about 6.83, and he was saying that he feels the biggest issue with 6.83 as a patch isn't really the gold comeback mechanics (which I agree with completely, the way gold changes is very similar to 6.81), but rather how difficult it is to siege high ground right now because of several problem heroes and some mechanics.

So you go high ground, lose one fight, throw away ~1/5th of your gold lead (which is probably similar to 6.81, provided you actually got wiped), and then it becomes progressively harder and harder to push up until the game is even and you eventually lose. Contrary to what reddit says, one fight doesn't completely invalidate the laning stage and close the gold gap, it's a series of fights. It just feels like one fight is the equalizer because it's so god damn hard to penetrate high ground even with a 15k+ gold lead, that it becomes to feel close to impossible as that gold lead is chipped down to 12k, 10k, 8k, 5k...

Whenever I go aghs on tree, I feel a bit selfish, I'm basically starving the team of wards in order to buy it.

Easy counter though, buy a gem and run around with a quelling blade. Funny stuff.

So like, did I miss anything in the last 3 months? What's the meta?

ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`
ヽ༼ຈ ل͜ຈ༽ノ•︻̷┻̿═━一 hoho haha shrapnelヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ•︻̷┻̿═━一 ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、
`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ、ヽヽ

The only thing that makes tree look overpowered is sniper, and how that hero completely invalidates high ground pushes--even more so with tree vision. I was talking to milk earlier about 6.83, and he was saying that he feels the biggest issue with 6.83 as a patch isn't really the gold comeback mechanics (which I agree with completely, the way gold changes is very similar to 6.81 (xp is a different story), it's really not that big of a difference), but rather how difficult it is to siege high ground right now because of several problem heroes and some mechanics.

So you go high ground, lose one fight, throw away ~1/5th of your gold lead (which is probably similar to 6.81, provided you actually got wiped), and then it becomes progressively harder and harder to push up until the game is even and you eventually lose. Contrary to what reddit says, one fight doesn't completely invalidate the laning stage and close the gold gap, it's a series of fights. It just feels like one fight is the equalizer because it's so god damn hard to penetrate high ground even with a 15k+ gold lead, that it becomes to feel close to impossible as that gold lead is chipped down to 12k, 10k, 8k, 5k...

Pushing against Sniper is...agony. The hero simply received too many buffs. The fricking range he has, the triple shrapnel and the slow that lasts 1s instead of a ministun (which was annoying as fuck too though), sigh.

edit: This kind of applies to a lot of the popular heroes. Just buffs upon buffs upon buffs. Sniper, Lina, Troll, WR, SF (buffs, bug fixes and the Euls Craze). Eventually the numbers are so high that even a lack of synergy from the heroes abilities doesn't matter much. Lina for instance doesn't really have that much synergy. But all spells on their own are simple so strong now that she's a force to be reckoned with.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So like, did I miss anything in the last 3 months? What's the meta?

ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`
`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ、ヽヽ

The only thing that makes tree look overpowered is sniper, and how that hero completely invalidates high ground pushes--even more so with tree vision. I was talking to milk earlier about 6.83, and he was saying that he feels the biggest issue with 6.83 as a patch isn't really the gold comeback mechanics (which I agree with completely, the way gold changes is very similar to 6.81), but rather how difficult it is to siege high ground right now because of several problem heroes and some mechanics.

I don't wanna be a dick at all (and yet I will) but 2 months ago I claimed turtling is too good this patch and you thought...differently.

:(

Anyways, my game knowledge is now irrevocably proven.

edit: And to add something less inflamatory: I do think this is one of the weaker patches of Dota I've played since January 2013. Not being able to go high ground with 15k gold lead beats the 30 min pub meta of TI4 in terms of shittyness I feel. However, 6.81 Faceless Void was the most annoying hero since 6.78 Spirit Breaker. Sniper and Troll are not quite on his level of stupidity.

Razzer

ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`
`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ、ヽヽ

I see. G.ZZZ will be happy (checks) oh he's banned again. Perm?

Also I wasn't the only one but called it I guess.

lmao

Let me help you with shitposting:

1. Lich
2. Lich
3. Dragon Knight
4. Omniknight
5. Abaddon
6. Medusa
7. Naga
8. Treant
9. Viper
10. Wraith King

edit:
honorable mention: Death Prophet

Wraith King is fun, you get to go manmode on everyone because death is his bitch. Treant is a great time too if your team is willing to use your invis. I agree with the rest though (put DK at #1).

Low Tier
I don't wanna be a dick at all (and yet I will) but 2 months ago I claimed turtling is too good this patch and you thought...differently.

edit: And to add something less inflamatory: I do think this is one of the weaker patches of Dota I've played since January 2013. Not being able to go high ground with 15k gold lead beats the 30 min pub meta of TI4 in terms of shittyness I feel. I do think 6.81 Faceless Void was the most annoying hero since 6.78 Spirit Breaker though and Sniper and Troll are not quite on his level of stupidity.

DsrA6Kc.gif

aeolist

Banned
yeah sieging high ground is a big problem, you basically never see it happen anymore. people only get high ground when they've taken a big pick or teamfight outside the base, or if there's a really good rat.

also i think people are taking me the wrong way, i'm not saying tree aghs is a problem in pubs. i'd be really shocked if that were the case but i don't play pubs so i don't know or care. i think it's OP in pro games.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

edit: And to add something less inflamatory: I do think this is one of the weaker patches of Dota I've played since January 2013. Not being able to go high ground with 15k gold lead beats the 30 min pub meta of TI4 in terms of shittyness I feel. I do think 6.81 Faceless Void was the most annoying hero since 6.78 Spirit Breaker though and Sniper and Troll are not quite on his level of stupidity.

You were right. I was wrong. I am not Nostradamus nor 100% correct all the time :). At the time of my post, EG was shredding Chinese turtle strats that other western teams failed to beat (context). Since then EG has barely played, we haven't had a big LAN, and everyone has reverted to tried and true turtle strats again.

Regardless, I still disagree with the sentiment of your original post (and the reddit sentiment) that high ground is too hard to break because of the gold swings. In 6.81, if you managed to wipe the enemy team, the gold swing would be roughly the same. The difference was, you would never wipe the enemy team. Now, it's far too easy to wipe the enemy team going high ground. This is partly because of heroes like Sniper, and partly because of all the tower buffs, pushing hero nerfs, and free glyphs. One extreme to another.

Acinixys

WR is one buff from being broken so I'd rather not see buffs lol

But jeez, LC is really shit. I used to stomp fairly highly ranked pubs with her pre nerf but man, she was nerfed crazy hard. I remember people laughing at me for suggesting she received nerfs on Tinker-level but true was, most of these scrubs didn't play her as much or to the level I did. She lost so much lane control with the nuke nerf it's not funny.

LC is SUPER bugged though

Moment of Courage reads:
When attacked, Legion Commander has a chance to immediately attack again with bonus lifesteal.

But in game she procs MoC all the fucking time, even if you are 1v1 and running away and nothing is attacking her

Ive died at least two times because of this

I do think this is one of the weaker patches of Dota I've played since January 2013. Not being able to go high ground with 15k gold lead beats the 30 min pub meta of TI4 in terms of shittyness I feel. However, 6.81 Faceless Void was the most annoying hero since 6.78 Spirit Breaker. Sniper and Troll are not quite on his level of stupidity.

rofl

30 minutes. What a long game. I remember constant 10 - 20 minutes stomps

LC is SUPER bugged though

Moment of Courage reads:

But in game she procs MoC all the fucking time, even if you are 1v1 and running away and nothing is attacking her

Ive died at least two times because of this
I tend to get baffled by random MoC procs as well although I always figure that some ranged creep attacked me from across the map and I didn't realize.

rofl

That's a little exaggerated. Pro games usually ended really quickly because they could GG out anytime when there was no hope of stopping the NP, DP, Brew, Shaman etc. deathball. I played most of my games in 6.81 I think and my average match duration is 40mins:

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/180637124/matches?date=year&hero=&skill_bracket=&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&faction=&duration=

Obviously lower when 6.81 was around but nowhere near 20 min territory.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Let's be real, the finals were 10-20 min stomps, but the rest of the tournament? C'mon.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/787345302
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/785712957
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/785842796

It's sad that the grand finals overshadowed a lot of the awesome games that came before. Ironically the grand finals were so short because newbee completely figured out Vici's deathball strat and picked it apart. Thanks VG for ruining TI.

I think it was good for the game to make the tier 1 and tier 2 towers much easier to defend and to make it easier to respond to early pushes. I think it's time now to make attacking tier 3's just a little easier.

Manus

Still don't understand these pro teams not first banning sniper yet. How many times do you have to get face rolled by one to first ban it?

You know, Sniper aside.... Storm Spirit to me is still one of the most ludicrous heroes in lategame to me. Granted, he doesn't provide quite the same utility in base defenses like Sniper, but otherwise that hero is broken.

Highest mobility out there and destroys every hero 1v1, the reason being that Storm is usually the one initating. Which means hex, grapple, perhaps orchid and you...can hardly even target him even if you weren't disabled. He may never appear to be the top OP hero in a patch, but if I'm not mistaken he has been among the most viable picks in pro games for the longest time now.

Acinixys

You know, Sniper aside.... Storm Spirit to me is still one of the most ludicrous heroes in lategame to me. Granted, he doesn't provide quite the same utility in base defenses like Sniper, but otherwise that hero is broken.

Highest mobility out there and destroys every hero 1v1, the reason being that Storm is usually the one initating. Which means hex, grapple, perhaps orchid and you...can hardly even target him even if you weren't disabled. He may never appear to be the top OP hero in a patch, but if I'm not mistaken he has been among the most viable picks in pro games for the longest time now.

Hes pretty balanced though

Storm has stayed basically the same since (checks wiki) 6.78

Hes gotten a small nerf to starting MS and a buff to turn speed

Apart from that hes been the same for almost 2 years

inkls

Highest mobility out there and destroys every hero 1v1,
the reason being that Storm is usually the one initating. Which means hex, grapple, perhaps orchid and you...can hardly even target him even if you weren't disabled. He may never appear to be the top OP hero in a patch, but if I'm not mistaken he has been among the most viable picks in pro games for the longest time now.

huh?

and also, storm initiating first is horrible unless you've snowballed so hard they cant kill you.

huh?

and also, storm initiating first is horrible unless you've snowballed so hard they cant kill you.

Not in a teamfight, though there too easily lategame (Hex one, grapple another and you got 2 instantly disabled). Whenever someone is alone out on the map, that hero is dead if Storm jumps him with perhaps the exception of a tanky Bristel. And if it goes wrong you simply ball lightning your way out again.

inkls

Not in a teamfight, though there too easily lategame (Hex one, grapple another and you got 2 instantly disabled). Whenever someone is alone out on the map, that hero is dead if Storm jumps him with perhaps the exception of a tanky Bristel. And if it goes wrong you simply ball lightning your way out again.

bkb is not a thing? Bristle is def not "the exception". You're telling me a 6-slotted storm does more damage and tanks more than a 6-slotted pa, AM, dusa, pl, spectre, etc?

Ofc a storm with all the items you listed is strong, but how did he get there?

bkb is not a thing? Bristle is def not "the exception". You're telling me a 6-slotted storm does more damage and tanks more than a 6-slotted pa, AM, dusa, pl, spectre, etc?

Late game potential is not entirely about damage. He is right in that Storm is a good late game hero because mobility scales really well into later stages of the game. The hero obviously doesn't wreck everyone 1on1.

He got there by being great at the earlier stages too!

And BKB isn't great in Storm in a way. It's great to fight him, yes. But a lategame storm can just hex you before you use it or simply bail whenever you manage to activate it in time. He then may engage a couple seconds later. It's also hard to tell if he's genuinely trying to initiate/engage or just toying with you.

But yeh, Hex + vortex is like 5s disable and in that time he deals a lot of damage.

unless he has a tank in front of him yes he's not ideal

I randomed him that game and had a good time

buff OD (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Actually nevermind omniknight is the worst piece of shit in the game

You can do absolutely nothing in the laning phase but stack and pull. Can't gank, can't harass, just heal and pull. Nothing. Else.

Deadly

Storm Spirit drops his bloodstone to bottle. Shadowblade Doom takes it.

'I knew he was there. I was going to pick it up'

Kade

You pick Spirit, I build Orchid. It's funny watching a silenced Spirit try to run away. Can't use your effigies now you piece of fucking shit!

You pick Spirit, I build Orchid. It's funny watching a silenced Spirit try to run away. Can't use your effigies now you piece of fucking shit!

By the time you get orchid he'll have bkb

So why do people do manta skadi linkens on dusa ?
There is no way you win with this build, it is absolute fucking trash and you're just a glorified ranged creep with good EHP. Damage is fucking ass with this, like 140 with split shot on.

Sianos

By the time you get orchid he'll have bkb

So why do people do manta skadi linkens on dusa ?
There is no way you win with this build, it is absolute fucking trash and you're just a glorified ranged creep with good EHP. Damage is fucking ass with this, like 140 with split shot on.

I feel like the core Skadi gives Medusa everything she wants - more tank from hp and mana, more damage and attack speed from agility, and the slowing uam that keeps people in place as she nukes them down. However, Linkens is late-game situational at best and Manta is just plain bad on the hero. If all you have is a (late) Linkens, no one will bother even using big spells on you because you barely do anything. And Manta is just mathematically bad, her illusions barely do anything.

dphsF1B.gif

I personally like Treads -> Aquila -> (Farming Item: MoM/Mael) -> Skadi -> Butterfly -> (Damage Item) -> extensions. Tread swap snake in lane, improved farming speed early on. Even more tank from the evasion and a lot of damage and attack speed from agility, then more full on damage and possibly another tanking item like Satanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom