• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You're telling me you would rather have teams sit back for 30 mins farming their respective sides with the occasional fight than 45 kills in 25 minutes? Farming games are boring as hell to watch and having every game turn into 60-90 minute high ground defenses gets exhausting. It's already been shown that long games are still possible and when they happen now they are far more interesting than when they happen every game.

every game being constant fighting from minute 0 is kind of exhausting too though....

Baha

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
This production value
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

JambiBum

every game being constant fighting from minute 0 is kind of exhausting too though....

If every game was that way, I'd agree, but it isn't. Hell just look at the in houses we have had and the pro games. There is so much more variety in drafts now (besides maybe Undying, but meh) than there was in past patches that it has made dota a lot more fun for a lot of people.

Hylian7

This. It usually comes down to the 4 being forced into fights when they don't want to be because the other team is taking advantage of the fact that they have an afk farmer. You have one hero (maybe two) taking up the majority of the farm on your side of the map which leaves your other heroes under farmed and being forced to defend their 1 position the entire time.

The meta hasn't removed heroes from the pool, it's added more and made the heroes that you think it's removed have to change from afk farm to farm and fight which is better for everyone overall.
A lot of the heroes straight up don't do "farm and fight" very well though, AM and Medusa being the biggest examples of this.

M.D

Create a bunch of new late-game items.

Shift the meta towards early push and fighting so that nobody can buy them anyway.

i really wanted new items to be added when the game shifted back to late game a few patches ago and cores were sitting on mountains of gold that they could do nothing with

You're telling me you would rather have teams sit back for 30 mins farming their respective sides with the occasional fight than 45 kills in 25 minutes? Farming games are boring as hell to watch and having every game turn into 60-90 minute high ground defenses gets exhausting. It's already been shown that long games are still possible and when they happen now they are far more interesting than when they happen every game.

and what have we got in this IG vs HR game? one team taking out all the all outer towers pre 20 minutes in and keeping the enemy in their base till their inevitable loss? i'm not saying every game in this new patch is like this, but games are starting to shift to this predictable push line up start again and i would take a 60 minute game over this sort of boring ass push line up any day

what's not to like about longer games? its the best show for a lot of what makes this game - farming, team fighting, battle for superior vision, playing around bkb's, fighting at the rosh pit and so on

i'm not talking about 6.83 particularly - i'm not sure what patch it was back then, but i think starladder 10 (the actual lan event) had some pretty long and great games without having all the bullshit 6.83 added in

like, its not even about a game being short but more about having bad memories of these fucking deathball push line with tons of summons pushing tier 3 at 20 minutes in with literally nothing you can do about it

do i have problem with a team choosing to take an early team fight and losing because they got outplayed or have a weaker early lineup, giving the other team an advantage and leading to a shorter game? no, not really

i just honestly don't want to see these sort of ti4 finals games

Dahbomb

and what have we got in this IG vs HR game? one team taking out all the all outer towers pre 20 minutes in and keeping the enemy in their base till their inevitable loss? i
I saw a team got out drafted and out played. Was kinda glad it was over in 20 mins.

JambiBum

A lot of the heroes straight up don't do "farm and fight" very well though, AM and Medusa being the biggest examples of this.

Just for fun, I went through and pulled some random AM and Medusa games from Dotabuff since those were the heroes you used in your examples.

Medusa 32 mins

AM#1 33 mins

AM#2 34 mins

These are random pub games that I found by going through DB. I just picked the first few that I saw with the heroes you mentioned. Sure this is just pubs but these games still show that you can play those heroes without needing games to go 45+ mins.

G.ZZZ

Inhouses are the truth and predict every pick because everything's actually viable in those.

Also MY picking Axe but don't know it doesn't counter Undying anymore lol.

Hylian7

Just for fun, I went through and pulled some random AM and Medusa games from Dotabuff since those were the heroes you used in your examples.

Medusa 32 mins

AM#1 33 mins

AM#2 34 mins

These are random pub games that I found by going through DB. I just picked the first few that I saw with the heroes you mentioned. Sure this is just pubs but these games still show that you can play those heroes without needing games to go 45+ mins.

Stomp, a lot of feeding coming from Dire here.

This one I might be able to give you, but it's the exception rather than the rule, as an AM game like this is very rare.

Looks like a team that has so much to take on an AM with failed horrendously and ended up feeding him instead. I mean, the XP graph is only green in one spec between 4 and 8 minutes.

Again, these are just random pub games like you said, and are definitely not the norm for those heroes.

Trickster

Just had my first game as Spectre, went 8K/8D/33A

Was laning with a WD who kept getting the last hit, and a Zeus mid who kept using ult to take kills I could have gotten without his ult. Seems like Spectre is pretty hard to get kills with, doesn't really have any nuking power

Was laning with a WD who kept getting the last hit, and a Zeus mid who kept using ult to take kills I could have gotten without his ult. Seems like Spectre is pretty hard to get kills with, doesn't really have any nuking power

Well I think spec always gets high assists count due to her passive anyways.

I associate deathball with 15-20 minute games. I don't think I've seen one yet in 6.84 (and Big God won in 14 minutes in 6.83 or whenever they were around so they've always been possible)

inkls

I associate deathball with 15-20 minute games. I don't think I've seen one yet in 6.84 (and Big God won in 14 minutes in 6.83 or whenever they were around so they've always been possible)

15 min game? At ti4 the record beating shortest game was DK vs C9 in 14 min.

Her attack passive only triggers when the target isn't near any friendly creeps or heroes, and that shit does hurt a ton in the midgame. Dagger isn't anything to write home about damage-wise, it's more the chase potential and mobility.

Before you have your radiance/diffusal + another item, you're just cleanup for teamfights. Farm on the opposite side of the map, see a fight break out, haunt in when injured heroes start trying to run away, and chase them with dagger and kill them with your damage buff once they're isolated.

Trickster

Her attack passive only triggers when the target isn't near any friendly creeps or heroes, and that shit does hurt a ton in the midgame. Dagger isn't anything to write home about damage-wise, it's more the chase potential and mobility.

Before you have your radiance/diffusal + another item, you're just cleanup for teamfights. Farm on the opposite side of the map, see a fight break out, haunt in when injured heroes start trying to run away, and chase them with dagger and kill them with your damage buff once they're isolated.

What items and order is the most standard Spectre "build"? I did phase boots -> drum -> radiance -> diffusal. Somehow doubt that is the right order

What items and order is the most standard Spectre "build"? I did phase boots -> drum -> radiance -> diffusal. Somehow doubt that is the right order

Builds vary; that one is fine depending on the game.

Some rush Radiance out of the gate if having a stellar early game (as in boots > relic > radiance), many do yasha or diffusal before Radiance, some get vanguard or blademail or urn or drums... it depends on how the game is shaping up and how you want to play her in the early/mid game.

That's honestly fine, Spectre can go several different directions. You can get treads instead of phase, you can get urn instead of drums, you can go manta before diffusal. Just see how the game flows and get what seems like the best option, sticking to one item/skill build no matter what usually doesn't end well.

Trickster

Builds vary; that one is fine depending on the game.

Some rush Radiance out of the gate if having a stellar early game (as in boots > relic > radiance), many do yasha or diffusal before Radiance, some get vanguard or blademail or urn or drums... it depends on how the game is shaping up and how you want to play her in the early/mid game.

That's honestly fine, Spectre can go several different directions. You can get treads instead of phase, you can get urn instead of drums, you can go manta before diffusal. Just see how the game flows and get what seems like the best option, sticking to one item/skill build no matter what usually doesn't end well.

Aha I see. Thanks for the tips :)

Honestly don't really understand why Radiance is an item you want on the Spectre though. I get that the aura is nice for teamfights and chasing people. But I felt like I died pretty easy during teamfights.

Haunted

Not sure about this lives system Red Bull's using.
Organisers have been pretty desperate to breathe some life into the proceedings for... forever. (well, I know this from SC2, but that goes for esports in general I suppose)

Did you see that S4 interview? One of the most experienced and knowledgeable players in the scene, capable of speaking excellent english and kotlguy barely managed to get a handful of words out of the guy... across several questions. Esports players are notorious for being so shy/socially awkward that they end up giving shit interviews and appearing to be fairly lifeless in general. This pick and reflect system is an attempt to force some actual confrontations outside of the game and create more drama.

They just need to be careful that it doesn't actually interfere with the competitive integrity of the event itself (they went overboard with this into absolutely cringeworthy territory when they first tried to push esports on TV and into the mainstream 10 years ago), and it's going to be fine.

I prefer quelling -> phase -> urn -> (yasha/vit booster)* -> radiance -> manta + heart + butterfly + etc.

*optional depending on game

You only fight during haunt and don't really get aggressive until you have radiance + another item. Heart and manta synergize really well with her passives, because her illusions get the damage bonus against isolated targets and her damage reduction is based off raw HP (which you get a lot of with heart)

Another playstyle is to skip radiance and go straight for a diffusal blade, and spend the game ganking instead of farming with diffusal + manta synergy, but this might not be worth doing now that radiance got a buff. I don't know if diffusal + radiance is a good build, I've certainly had no luck with it because it seems like both items peak at similar times in the game and if I've farmed one or the other it's more practical to just get a manta.

Aha I see. Thanks for the tips :)

Honestly don't really understand why Radiance is an item you want on the Spectre though. I get that the aura is nice for teamfights and chasing people. But I felt like I died pretty easy during teamfights.

You can farm super-fast by daggering through camps and burning multiple jungle camps at once, plus pushing waves. Her asset as a carry is her tankability, and radiance + dispersion lets you do a massive amount of damage over time in a teamfight if you manage to stay alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom