• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

traveler

Not Wario
First preview of the Dota2 VR spectator client here

:O

Was kinda hoping it'd be like that RTS shown during the Rift stream a few days back, with the player hovering over the entire map, capable of seeing from base to base, but I guess that'd be a good deal more demanding. This looks pretty sweet too, though.

oDVrGYa.gif

VIVE PLS SHIP NAOOOOOO
LLShC.gif

#TEAMVIVE FUCKIN WONNNN

Russ T

Banned
That looks simultaneously very cool and very cheap-looking. That floating screen just doesn't work with the rest of the environment.

I realize I'm being very nitpicky.

Twookie

i kinda thought it was going to be like looking over a chessboard or a playroom kinda thing, where the game is on a table and you can like look close to the 3d models and shit

don't really like this implementation tbh, feels weird

kvk1

what's wrong with it?

compared to something like a deathadder or zowie fk the side buttons are too stiff in press and sharp in physical design for comfortable constant use like binding to items in dota or something

also, the scroll wheel and the feel of the MMB click feels like it came straight out of a lego box, it's such crap

the ergonomics are pretty good, but that's about it

TUSR

Banned
what's wrong with it?
scroll wheel is completely useless, and even when locked it will scroll by itself.

middle mouse button click and direction feel horrid.

as kvk said, the side buttons are stiff but it's really one of the lesser issues with the mouse.

the thumb button is placed for people with dwarf hands.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Even the g400.

I'm looking at the Logitech G600 mouse with its MMO buttons. It appears to be an upgrade in nearly every respect. Anyone with experience with this one or ones like it?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0086UK7IQ/

Gross! The reason why I love the G400 and MX518 is because it feels so damn good in the hand. Perfect thumb button placement.

Sorry
tears.gif

The thing I don't get with all new gaming mice they all look super uncomfortable during long sessions, along with buttons in weird places. the g502 looks like it could cut you ffs. (slight exaggeration)

I'm currently using the g700. Probably the worst mouse for fps games but works fine for dota, but I also use my keyboard for camera control so take that however you want.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They probably scrapped third-person in-game VR spectating because they realized the game looks silly in any perspective but overhead.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
A stupid attempt at humor for my fellow mutumbaman fans...

uQ8LNya.png

I am bored as shit at work atm
DZtLeiS.gif

compared to something like a deathadder or zowie fk the side buttons are too stiff in press and sharp in physical design for comfortable constant use like binding to items in dota or something

also, the scroll wheel and the feel of the MMB click feels like it came straight out of a lego box, it's such crap

the ergonomics are pretty good, but that's about it

scroll wheel is completely useless, and even when locked it will scroll by itself.

middle mouse button click and direction feel horrid.

as kvk said, the side buttons are stiff but it's really one of the lesser issues with the mouse.

the thumb button is placed for people with dwarf hands.

makes me grateful to have a spare mx518 just in case my g500 dies

kionedrik

The thing about VR Dota I don't understand is you gain nothing from the shift in perspective. You're already in a 3rd person overhead viewing position with increased awareness of your surroundings and all the info easilly accessible. If you do something like what's on that .gif and create a stadium inside your monitor (VR set) you gain blank space with some gimmicky models that shift your attention away from what's important.
When I go to a stadium to watch any sport or go to a music concert, the physical space itself is a way of living that experience. This won't be able to replace the experience of physically being there, only the experience of seeing it in a monitor, and by doing it like this it is taking away from the baseline it is trying to improve instead of adding something new.

I can understand VR as a substitute of 1st person experiences, like driving a car, where you wear the skin of that character, even though I don't really think it will survive in the long term. In Dota and other similar games? Sorry but there's nothing to gain with VR, at least with these kind of implementations.

Couldn't I do this right now on Virtual Desktop? Minus the Dota 2 themed environment.

You're asking if you can do everything but the coolest part in Virtual Desktop? Yea you can? Don't worry, Rift will have some cool stuff too at some point too. Give them time.

The VR "room" around is a good idea.... but for the spectating itself... just a virtual screen and a 2d map ? It should look like AirMech VR ffs... it's like making a VR chess game looking like

It's Valve. Give them time. Also, table top games with room scale and touch will be winning.

Top Bottom