• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
just make that map the default though seriously. lower polycount or some shit for the poors

the maps should be equalized so yeah, either make the regular map have crystal clear pathable tree areas or obfuscate the new map a bit

I prefer the latter because as that oddshot shows, the new map just makes juking so trivial. There's no question where people are hiding now, just check each little square one by one. The non-pathable and pathable spots are very very sharp and distinct (unlike the regular map). Part of juking in dota is that those trees are the goddam wild west, and that's how I like it. Different strokes for different folks tho per usual.

Red UFO

g9EhIUjg.png

Help
Hop on the support Riki train dude and ride the gravy train CHOO CHOO MOTHER FUCKER

honestly hylian spam junkiro and play her as a core, build euls/blink/veil/flawctarine/refresher, become the dota equivalent of ISIS

trust me on this

sephi22

Nice. I'm getting PC Overwatch too. Also who else is a dirty 2k MMR here? I feel like I can reach early 3k if I play ranked but then I play a game and communicate and win early game and lose because the carry has like 2 items.

Should I just switch to a pos 1 player? I spam supports or offlane because I don't trust randoms supporting me in getting kills. :/

EDIT: Also sold my lava azuremir for compendium levels. 340 now. FeelsBadMan
Didn't score Void or Caw Caw immortal.

Hylian7

Yeah I'm starting to hate this patch.

5-man at 5 minutes or you lose, doesn't matter what you do. It's really irritating. There's literally no other viable strategies. That's what I've lost the last 9 games to basically.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2372655395

We did a decent job of stopping Lycan's farm early on, I farmed well, still lost to them just 5-manning and Sven cleaving our whole team down anyway. Riki was useless as soon as Lycan got Necro 3, which is why I'm raising an eyebrow at the Riki suggestions.

International Ranked has been good so far. Somehow feels less stressful. But that is just 1 game.

It's been awful. I lost 8/10 calibration games and got an MMR 200 lower than what my regular MMR is now, and even my regular has been on a downward spiral lately.

frontovik

Banned
I had no idea that you can still receive an abandon penalty in low priority.

I was 1 game away from returning to normal priority, but I abandoned it early on because my teammates were fooling around, and now I've got an additional 4 more games to complete.

Russ T

Banned

5-man at 5 minutes or you lose, doesn't matter what you do. It's really irritating. There's literally no other viable strategies. That's what I've lost the last 9 games to basically.

We did a decent job of stopping Lycan's farm early on, I farmed well, still lost to them just 5-manning and Sven cleaving our whole team down anyway. Riki was useless as soon as Lycan got Necro 3, which is why I'm raising an eyebrow at the Riki suggestions.

but yesterday me and kirby played a game where the enemy lost because they kept five manning

Hylian7

but yesterday me and kirby played a game where the enemy lost because they kept five manning

Never happens in my games. They can 5-man with whatever team comp they have and they win. If you ever get slightly behind, you already lost. It's as bad as the TI4 Meta.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

It's been awful. I lost 8/10 calibration games and got an MMR 200 lower than what my regular MMR is now, and even my regular has been on a downward spiral lately.

yeah i think you're just hating this patch cause you're losing a lot, i hate it when i lose too

5 manning at 5 minutes is most definitely not the only viable strategy my man. also you're using a lycan game as an example and lycan is the king of deathball, when you pick lycan you should most definitely 5 man and win before 30 minutes, that's the environment/strategy that the hero excels in.

Red UFO

Impossible to properly decipher where that game went wrong without watching a replay but did you like, actually approach the fights in the right way? Is there any way that aspect could have been pulled off better? If not, maybe more of an emphasis on split pushing would have been advantageous.

And outside of dispelling global silence I don't really see what that Manta was giving you.

Hylian7

yeah i think you're just hating this patch cause you're losing a lot, i hate it when i lose too

5 manning at 5 minutes is most definitely not the only viable strategy my man. also you're using a lycan game as an example and lycan is the king of deathball, when you pick lycan you should most definitely 5 man and win before 30 minutes, that's the environment/strategy that the hero excels in.

It's what's happened almost every single game I have lost lately. Very very rarely do they fuck it up enough where they throw it either. I don't like those early 5-man strats, it's just not a way I enjoy playing, nor am good at.

Impossible to properly decipher where that game went wrong without watching a replay but did you like, actually approach the fights in the right way? Is there any way that aspect could have been pulled off better? If not, maybe more of an emphasis on split pushing would have been advantageous.

And outside of dispelling global silence I don't really see what that Manta was giving you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "approach the fights". There's always things I can do better. Is Luna really the hero for split pushing?

Also the Manta was to dispel the silence, as well as stats and illusions. In this situation I think it does a lot.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah, but surely we should be able to handle that and not completely lose all space in 15 minutes.

well maybe, depending on your play and that of your teammates

but you also have a greedy ass team against a lycan deathball lineup and you guys (i'm speculating) didn't crush every lane hard enough to not get rolled over.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2372695005

And here's game #10 now...This time the other team 4-manned while Lifestealer was freefarming and we couldn't stop him.

.... That's a 45 minute close game, not a deathball at 5 minutes like you complained about in the game prior. Looks relatively close too, without watching the game it seems like it could have gone either way.

If they were 4 manning around without their lifestealer (their primary carry), you guys ideally should be able to take a 5v4 and crush the shit out of them in a couple fights (or alternatively gank the lifestealer who is out farming on his own). Again though, dota isn't a computer simulator, there are players of varying skill levels with various decisions to make. What should or can happen isn't always what does happen.

Also hylian it's time to look inward and evolve (to become a better player) instead of looking at general lineups, strats, or lanes and declaring what should or shouldn't happen. You're a 1 position gyrocopter and you did less hero damage than every single other player on your team. This is a trend I've noticed in a lot of the games you link when you're playing the 1 position (the tiny game you linked earlier comes to mind). Your hero damage is abysmal man and that just tells me you either don't show up to fights enough or you're just dying immediately in fights and it's a positioning, timing, and/or spell usage problem. One or the other.

Chris R

Poor Hylian his carry and off this game are fucking trash, like seriously, worse than me trash.

Stout + Ring of Health at 10 mins with 3 points in blink is NOT the AM build, even more so when you are against a spirit breaker and omni...

Like seriously, fucking trash

edit: Their LC has +30 dmg at 14 mins, all three against timber who was his off.

He's still top of the net worth on tinker, but this is fucking over :(

Uriah

i swear to fucking god there must be a rule were i get matched with the most toxic and stupid motherfuckers on the planet

end game scoreboard
1-10 alch
2-11 wyvern
4-7 PA
6-15 earthshaker
18-11 timber (me)

PA starts the game with the name "mid please" and proceeds to build a monkey king bar against a team that has no damage evasion while deciding not to build a Black king bar against an invoker, sandking, and AA, all while proclaiming that he is 4k so we should listen to him. Alchemist builds arcane boots but doesn't go octarine and has the slowest farm I've ever seen on an alch (though it isn't entirely his fault as our earthshaker roams and accomplishes jack shit). Our winter wyvern freezes me under the enemy tower so I can get stunned and killed and sunstruck by the enemy team and proceeds to be toxic the whole the game and never buys wards and rushes aghanims because I guess that's good or some shit.

I mean I get that people have bad games (lord knows I've had some terrible ones) but jesus christ what did I do to deserve this.

rant over

I mean I get that people have bad games (lord knows I've had some terrible ones) but jesus christ what did I do to deserve this.

You decided to play Dota, a game where one single person can ruin 9 other people's lives.
tears.gif

Seriously though, I know the feeling. We all do. When your team is working together well, Dota is freaking amazing. That only happens in like 10% of your games though. The other games are just suffering.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
that's why you play with buddies
cheeky.gif
! i can't remember the last time i solo queued fuk dat doto

but yeah to really get better at dota you just gotta focus on your individual play. no matter who is to blame, the post-game question should always be "what could i have done?" because you can't control people on your team, you can't change them, and you most likely will never play with them again.

Hylian7

well maybe, depending on your play and that of your teammates

but you also have a greedy ass team against a lycan deathball lineup and you guys (i'm speculating) didn't crush every lane hard enough to not get rolled over.

.... That's a 45 minute close game, not a deathball at 5 minutes like you complained about in the game prior. Looks relatively close too, without watching the game it seems like it could have gone either way.

If they were 4 manning around without their lifestealer (their primary carry), you guys ideally should be able to take a 5v4 and crush the shit out of them in a couple fights (or alternatively gank the lifestealer who is out farming on his own). Again though, dota isn't a computer simulator, there are players of varying skill levels with various decisions to make. What should or can happen isn't always what does happen.

The game was effectively over at about 20 minutes, as they completely choked us off the map. They were just screwing around for the next 25 minutes.

Also hylian it's time to look inward and evolve (to become a better player) instead of looking at general lineups, strats, or lanes and declaring what should or shouldn't happen. You're a 1 position gyrocopter and you did less hero damage than every single other player on your team. This is a trend I've noticed in a lot of the games you link when you're playing the 1 position (the tiny game you linked earlier comes to mind). Your hero damage is abysmal man and that just tells me you either don't show up to fights enough or you're just dying immediately in fights and it's a positioning, timing, and/or spell usage problem. One or the other.

I'm trying to, it's just frustrating to see games like that happen. I had no hero damage in that game because I had no farm, because we effectively lost all space to farm quickly. I couldn't get my BKB up, which I needed to not die in teamfights. Otherwise I just got bursted down or ate up by Lifestealer.

Poor Hylian his carry and off this game are fucking trash, like seriously, worse than me trash.

Stout + Ring of Health at 10 mins with 3 points in blink is NOT the AM build, even more so when you are against a spirit breaker and omni...

Like seriously, fucking trash

edit: Their LC has +30 dmg at 14 mins, all three against timber who was his off.

He's still top of the net worth on tinker, but this is fucking over :(

Yeah, that game was...a Dota game. AM, I have no idea what was up with him. Couldn't last hit anything with no one in lane contesting him. I wasn't going to bring it up here as it's pretty obvious why we lost, but that's #11.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Taco Bell better send me my damned download code in time to cancel my amazon preorder.

Chris R

Yeah, that game was...a Dota game. AM, I have no idea what was up with him. Couldn't last hit anything with no one in lane contesting him. I wasn't going to bring it up here as it's pretty obvious why we lost, but that's #11.

Bounty and Venge weren't too bad, but you had zero chance with that AM and Timber.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm trying to, it's just frustrating to see games like that happen. I had no hero damage in that game because I had no farm, because we effectively lost all space to farm quickly. I couldn't get my BKB up, which I needed to not die in teamfights. Otherwise I just got bursted down or ate up by Lifestealer.

Frustrating pretty much defines dota lol, if there's one word I'd use to describe to dota it would probably be frustrating. Game is both hella frustrating and rewarding at times. One piece of advice I'd offer Hylian, after playing with you in IHL and seeing some of these games, you tend zone in on that "core item" and just farm until you get it (whether that's BKB on several heroes, bloodstone on storm, radiance on spec, etc...). However, you gotta remember in the first 20 minutes of the game nobody has their core items.

If you're a gyro or lifestealer or whatever core, get out there and kill motherfuckers for your gold. Show up to teamfights so you win fights, rack up early kills, and get towers off that. Defend your towers, and tell your team to do so. Don't just zone out in the jungle or a lane and say "fuck it I'm farming until I get item X," sure, sometimes that's the correct mindset but in a lot of games it can be a dangerous and game losing one.

Hylian7

Frustrating pretty much defines dota lol, if there's one word I'd use to describe to dota it would probably be frustrating. Game is both hella frustrating and rewarding at times. One piece of advice I'd offer Hylian, after playing with you in IHL and seeing some of these games, you tend zone in on that "core item" and just farm until you get it (whether that's BKB on several heroes, bloodstone on storm, radiance on spec, etc...). However, you gotta remember in the first 20 minutes of the game nobody has their core items.

If you're a gyro or lifestealer or whatever core, get out there and kill motherfuckers for your gold. Show up to teamfights so you win fights, rack up early kills, and get towers off that. Defend your towers, and tell your team to do so. Don't just zone out in the jungle or a lane and say "fuck it I'm farming until I get item X," sure, sometimes that's the correct mindset but in a lot of games it can be a dangerous and game losing one.

Understood, I just have a difficult time getting out of that as trying to get kills is not very reliable and has a ton of potential to go wrong. I've always believed the safest play is the best, and try to back out of times when I can tell it's going south.

On another note, after playing it more, I do kind of agree the garden map makes it easier. I don't think the advantage as as large as people are making it out to be, but definitely there. You can generally see the spots on the regular map, but seeing them exactly can be kind of difficult.

GorillaJu

believe in the heart of the cards and the power of friendship

Noted. But what do I do when I'm offlane Slardar and getting marginally close to creep waves results in my dying or getting harassed to 50 hp and my 6k mid starts calling me 4K trash.

I don't want to be 4k trash. :(

I ended that game with 5000 fucking hero damage. 😱😭 I even lost to Lumi yesterday.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, sometimes bad games happen.

Got called trash last night when team started feeding safelane LC multiple kills, and then asked why I wasn't doing more as spec. Gee, I dunno, there's a pudge and invoker running around with the hots for me.

My item progression choices weren't great, to be fair (manta vs LC - thought I needed the stats and had already started the yasha before she got fat, as well as a vanguard after the fact), but wasn't like I could get space for anything substantial once the pickoffs kept piling up.

Curse this urn challenge.

Sidenote: Anyone else experience the phenomenon of when a pudge plays on the other team he hits 75%+ of hooks, yet when you have one on your team, he misses 2/3 or more?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Last game as Veno, according to Dotabuff, I got repealed 3 times, but only had repel for 1 second. Enemy Life Stealer kept purging it off with Diffusal :(

Went 1/11/30. Fed far to much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Facts of Dota:

Your Meepo doesn't even know how to do a Poof combo
Their Meepo is six slotted at 30 minutes

Your invoker plays with two spells, and he misses most of them
Their invoker has 300 APM

Your LC jungled for 20 minutes and came out with an Aghs as her only item
Their LC:
xp8CYgx.jpg

Dylan

Good times playing with some Gaffers tonight. Made it seem like a game humans play, rather than the bottom feeding spawn of hell I'm usually matched with.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies to anyone getting spammed with invites recently.

3 day and a half weekend and if I'm not +100 mmr where I am currently (3207) by the end of it I'm quitting life. Think I'm gonna see what the riki hype train is about.

please don't quit life.

play strong semicarries like junkiro and sand kong and yellow viper.

play strong cores like chen and drewsruptor and elder titan.

you can do this. I believe in you.

Top Bottom