• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

So I'm thinking about giving this a chance having never played a MOBA, which I've always wanted to try. How bad of an idea is this?

Welp, reading the OT guides. Here goes nothing.

pick spectre...if you can last hit with her shitty 51 base damage you can last hit with any melee carry...or you can got the support route witch doctor does work

Wok

Any recommendations?

Think of your wallet! You might turn into this:

3B7pWGU.png

The game is seriously addictive!

Edit: It is taken from the Overwatch thread, but Dota2 is the same kind of drug.

aeolist

Banned
So I'm thinking about giving this a chance having never played a MOBA, which I've always wanted to try. How bad of an idea is this?

don't play just live the game vicariously by watching pro players who can do shit you will never be able to do

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Think of your wallet! You might turn into this:

3B7pWGU.png

The game is seriously addictive!

Edit: It is taken from the Overwatch thread, but Dota2 is the same kind of drug.

Only a few hundred USD to go before I catch up to my Dota total.

Low Tier
best piece of dota advice is to go at it with humility. If people are going to go out of their way to give you advice, take a minute to process it. If you don't understand the rationale behind something, ask again. As Liquid stated, this game is so mechanical that there's really no point in trying to improve if you don't have that kind of attitude.

I'd be happy to help with general game knowledge or, whenever you feel comfortable, actual mechanical fixes or the like. As long as you're not unresponsive to advice with a mix of hyper-criticism I can probably help with most if not all of your dota questions.

Although if you're just starting without any prior RTS or MOBA experience I do suggest taking a week to polish up on just general game movement, objectives, and the like with some starter guides.

Arkanius

So what's the current prediction of the total prize pool?

I bet Valve will do something to make people buy more levels and spike it again.

Twookie

So what's the current prediction of the total prize pool?

I bet Valve will do something to make people buy more levels and spike it again.

i bet 20 mil, don't think it'll go higher than that

this reminds me, i need to do the rest of the predictions for the manila major

Which I don't :( Is there any specific group for newbies to learn? People who take time to teach must be saints given the reputation of the genre's communities.

As I said, there's (friendly?) people here who'd probably be willing to teach you. Where are you from/what region servers will you be playing on? Between US West/East and EU I'm pretty sure we have plenty of people who'd be willing to help. I think there's even quite a few Australia/SEA players here too?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Bliz be like: thx 4 all the shillin LiQuid! bb! have another on us!

9EAYclk.png

As I said, there's (friendly?) people here who'd probably be willing to teach you. Where are you from/what region servers will you be playing on? Between US West/East and EU I'm pretty sure we have plenty of people who'd be willing to help. I think there's even quite a few Australia/SEA players here too?
Also, don't assume the folks here are amazing at the game. The vast majority of players (even on here, reddit, dev forums, wherever) are pretty low on the MMR totem pole. Read a few guides, play a few bot games to get a handle on how to control your character, then go in to a game with some folks from around here and ask questions whenever you're unsure.

Honestly the worst thing you can do as a newbie is not ask when you're unsure of things. That's how you end up buying butterfly on puck.

I'd be happy to help with general game knowledge or, whenever you feel comfortable, actual mechanical fixes or the like. As long as you're not unresponsive to advice with a mix of hyper-criticism I can probably help with most if not all of your dota questions.

Although if you're just starting without any prior RTS or MOBA experience I do suggest taking a week to polish up on just general game movement, objectives, and the like with some starter guides.

Yep sounds good. I'll be on the NA East coast. I think I'll spend some time familiarizing myself with the game through guides and streamers and then post here whenever I'm looking to start up. Guess I'll leave my steam name in the meantime for anyone who would be willing to show me the ropes.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ncero/

Hylian7

Like others have said, plenty of people would be willing to show you the ropes and play with you. I would be too, I saw you post your Steam profile a few posts back, and I will add you when I get back to my computer.

The first thing I would say, no matter how much you know, is that the level of games you would be starting out with are NOT over until the ancient falls. Having coached new players in games with teammates calling gg after first blood, or calling it 15 minutes because "X did X and X", we lost, while they have something even worse.

I'd be lying if I said the game doesn't get frustrating sometimes, but keep plugging away at it and you'll get it. The game has gone through great strides in recent years to retain the same level of depth, but have less of "well everyone just knows that" type of mechanics. The biggest example of this is spawn boxes on jungle camps.

I'm very friendly and I don't rage at all you should add me.

I'm quite a well known twitch/YouTuber so I know my way around the game. I have cool phrases like "its not my fault" and "dumbos" and "your mums penis"

komplanen

Love the game but matches like the last one where people say things are "gay" people are "fags" and "retards" and every second word is "noob" really drive me up the wall.

Wok

In Heroes of the Storm, there is a hero with QoP's blink and an ultimate which is Phoenix's Sun Ray on no cooldown, with no mana cost, and which damages buildings as well as units (including heroes). Other spells are damage AOE.

I need that in Dota2. It is kind of a sexy Death Prophet with blink.

Russ T

Banned
Muting chat is the way to win.

Preach. Toss those mutes out like candy on Halloween. Still fucking waiting for a "mute all-chat" button. Grrr.

Also report anyone who uses slurs.

(Reports do nothing.)

EDIT: Any other white dudes gonna join me on the reservation.

EDIT EDIT: Oh the thread's gone. What a post that was.

Preach. Toss those mutes out like candy on Halloween. Still fucking waiting for a "mute all-chat" button. Grrr.

(Reports do nothing.)

EDIT EDIT: Oh the thread's gone. What a post that was

???

Russ T

Banned

some guy made a thread basically saying: "white dudes are the cause of all problems in society BUT I'M NOT TRYING TO BE RACIST but i mean kkk nazis all white dudes not sayin we should kill all white dudes, but maybe put em on a reservation or something NOT RACIST SORRY"

it got deleted pretty quickly

Low Tier

(Reports do nothing.)

EDIT EDIT: Oh the thread's gone. What a post that was.

there is a mute all chat button located under your chat window in-game

Top Bottom