• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

XAL

No, dude, it's not even juicy conspiracy stuff. It's just depressing.

Pls share.

I picture Riot as having a bunch of out of touch fat cats at the top, with the bloated infrastructure doing not much of anything, and the few passionate people that want to make the game better are unable to do so because the brass think they know better than everyone else and don't want outside input.

shira

immortals making people thirsty
anuxi_rum.gif

BHK3

Banned
No, dude, it's not even juicy conspiracy stuff. It's just depressing.

you're really gonna be that guy? Mention you have something the squad wants and then say you won't give it out?

"yea mang I got this bad girls number YO PASS THAT AROUND nah fam i respek her 2 much"

don't be that guy, spill the beans

JambiBum

Yeah you can't really just mention it and then not follow up. That shit is annoying and really obnoxious when people do that. If you are tied to a NDA or something that's one thing, but if not then you might as well come out with it at this point.

Pls share.

I picture Riot as having a bunch of out of touch fat cats at the top, with the bloated infrastructure doing not much of anything, and the few passionate people that want to make the game better are unable to do so because the brass think they know better than everyone else and don't want outside input.

Isn't that precisely what some intern mentioned about his experience at Riot in some reddit thread.

I mean, it's kind of an open secret at this point anyways. How a company with that much funding/income could fail to provide basic games features like replays, offline modes etc. in such a long time span is ridiculous.

In the long run their customers will get tired of all that crap and when the next big game comes, they just might leave for good. Dota (2) is here to stay forever basically. It just keeps getting better and the one major issue may seriously be increasingly drastic cosmetic items, and if that's your primary problem you're fricking glad.

It's not too surprising that Overwatch managed to take #1 from League of Legends in South Korean PC bangs. It may just be a fad and most people return eventually, but who knows, maybe if Overwatch is the better designed game people will actually stick to that, even if it's an apple-orange comparison.

Wok

I feel like I need to build a BKB on Lifestealer: teammates have been really bad at crowd-control in my recent games, and Rage is way too short with a way too long cooldown.

abunai

voting to remain cos i'm not insane

if it's anything like what happened in the scottish independence referendum, most of the undecideds will just stump for the known (remain) rather than the unknown in leaving
(he says hopefully)

After 18 wins in a row the inevitable happened. One player double randoms into Lycan, the other 3 by far lowest mmr players all take carries, one of which ruins my off-lane and the rest is history.

It's a joy to watch your tinker TP into a lane and blink...on top of creeps and get omnislashed by the nearby juggernaut.

What's weird is, is that the game that didn't end up counting because of disc during pick phase apparently got removed from the recent games list, I guess because those don't get saved as long. With one more win I could've had my full list of green wins after all >_<

Well, now I can finally pick other heroes! If I want to, that is.

Vade

if it's anything like what happened in the scottish independence referendum, most of the undecideds will just stump for the known (remain) rather than the unknown in leaving
(he says hopefully)

I too enjoy financing the Greeks and Italians and their spend free ways. RIP G.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

(he says hopefully)

I fucking hope so. I do not trust the general public at all, I am going to be pretty scared watching the results tonight...
DZtLeiS.gif

LuK0lUk.jpg

These are the kind of morons I fear!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
After 18 wins in a row the inevitable happened. One player double randoms into Lycan, the other 3 by far lowest mmr players all take carries, one of which ruins my off-lane and the rest is history.

It's a joy to watch your tinker TP into a lane and blink...on top of creeps and get omnislashed by the nearby juggernaut.

What's weird is, is that the game that didn't end up counting because of disc during pick phase apparently got removed from the recent games list, I guess because those don't get saved as long. With one more win I could've had my full list of green wins after all >_<

Well, now I can finally pick other heroes! If I want to, that is.

Impressive climb nonetheless,
even for an OP hero spamming scumbag
. The amount of "on their shit" your team has to be to produce a streak like that is crazy.

Vade

Masterful insight on the european political and economical situation

The slow-motion crisis of the European Union, refereed to as E.U. hence forth, is the big story that rarely gets the attention it deserves. There are larger political, economic, and social problems that have long plagued the project of unifying the countries of Europe in order to harness its collective economic power, and to avoid the bloody internecine strife that stains its history.

The 2008 Great Recession exposed the incoherence of the E.U.&#8217;s economic structure, particularly its single currency, which is held hostage by the diverse economic policies of sovereign nations. The data tell the tale. The E.U.&#8217;s GDP grew 1 percent in 2013, anemic compared to the United States' 2.2 percent. In December 2014, unemployment in the E.U. averaged 11.4 percent, while in the U.S. it was 5.6 percent. In the U.S we are troubled by our labor force participation rate of 62.7 percent, a 36-year low. But in the E.U., it was 57.5 percent in 2013. The U.S. recovery from the recession may be slow by historical standards, but it is blazing compared to the E.U.&#8217;s.

The E.U.&#8217;s economic woes have many causes, but intrusively regulated economies and outsized government spending on generous social welfare transfers are two of the most important. Despite the rebuke of such policies delivered by the recession, government spending as a percentage of GDP has actually increased in the E.U., from 45.5 percent in 2007 to 49 percent in 2013, even as many Europeans decry the harsh &#8220;austerity&#8221; measures called for by countries like Germany. Greece, the E.U member increasingly in danger of being forced to exit the monetary union and thus risk its unraveling, has nonetheless raised its government spending from 46.8 percent in 2007 to 59 percent in 2013.

Socially, the E.U. is troubled by two trends: demographic decline and the presence of concentrated populations of unassimilated and disaffected immigrants. Europe is an aging people; by 2030, one in four Europeans will be 65 years or older, reflecting the Europeans&#8217; failure to reproduce. Not since the 1970s have European women averaged 2.1 children, the number necessary to replace a population. The rate in 2014 was 1.6. In countries with low retirement ages and generous benefits, an aging population means more and more money taken from the productive young and investment in the economy, further reducing competitiveness, innovation, and growth.

The result has been large concentrations of immigrants segregated in neighborhoods like the banlieues of Paris or the satellite &#8220;dish-cities&#8221; of Amsterdam. Shut out from labor markets, plied with generous social welfare payments, and allowed to cultivate beliefs and cultural practices inimical to liberal democracy, many of these immigrants despise their new homes.

All these economic, social, and political problems are no secret. But the proposed solutions to them usually focus on policy changes or technical adjustments to the structure and functioning of the E.U. Yet this begs the fundamental question that has troubled European unification ever since it began with the Treaty of Rome in 1957: What comprises the collective beliefs and values that can form the foundations of a genuine European-wide community? What is it that all Europeans believe?

More important, from its beginning, the idea of the E.U. depended on the denigration of patriotism and national pride, for these were seen as the road to the exclusionary, blood-and-soil nationalism that fed Nazism and fascism. Yet all peoples are the product of a particular culture, language, mores, histories, traditions, and landscapes. The &#8220;postmodern&#8221; abstract E.U. ideal of transcending such parochial identities was destined to collide with the real cultural differences between European nations. These differences have become obvious during the economic crisis of the last decade, when hard-working, thrifty Germans have been loath to subsidize what they see as indolent, improvident Greeks, suggesting that there is more that separates than unites those two peoples. That sense of belonging to a community defined by a shared identity cannot be created by a single currency.

The E.U. is fundamentally undemocratic.Consider Portugal. With unemployment rates at dangerous levels, and its economy to contract by 2.3% &#8212; its third straight year of contraction under austerity policies in 2013 &#8212; the nation&#8217;s Constitutional Court struck down several austerity measures enacted by the government in compliance with European Commission requirements. That prompted Commission officials to pressure the country&#8217;s government to simply ignore the ruling, under threat of losing badly needed funding &#8212; prompting a constitutional crisis.

In such ways, EU officials are inserting themselves into the governance of member nations. Yet the ordinary people whose lives are seriously affected by such measures have no recourse &#8212; they can&#8217;t vote to &#8220;throw the bums out&#8221; as we might say here in the States. This lack of democratic accountability poses a serious problem for member states and the system as whole.

As for political tensions, a system whose officials are responsible for the region&#8217;s faltering economies but who are not accountable to the tens of millions of unemployed people in them, is obviously exacerbating those tensions rather than alleviating them.

Moreover, by giving up their national currencies, member countries who experience wage inflation can no longer temporarily deflate their currencies to make their exports more attractive. Those that fall into an economic slowdown or recession can&#8217;t &#8220;print money&#8221; to finance their safety nets for people who are unemployed or who face extreme poverty. Having your own currency may not be such a bad idea after all. Fears that the use of such tools will lead to runaway inflation and interest rates have proven completely unfounded.

I can add an overwatch.gif too if this is too high level of a discuss for you.
Edit.

mf2Ghkv.gif

Odds of a Brexit are sinking hourly according to oddschecker.com. Not sure what they base their assumptions on or whether it's just people mass betting on a "no" and skewing the numbers a bit. I firmly believe England stays.

kionedrik

Instead of using your own words to talk aobut the matter at hand you copy-paste some article with a clear political bias that also manages to transpire an american sense of superiority, while containing more than a few blatant lies. Well done.

Cute gif though.

I miss G.ZZZ. I don't support bans even against the four people on my ignore list.

#endBanCulture
#WeWantShugg
#FUCKeg

Also re: filthy hero spamming, you get a higher MMR jump for beating much higher MMR opponents right? Like a true Elo system?

also the tea gif made me retch. <3

The slow-motion crisis of the European Union, refereed to as E.U. hence forth, is the big story that rarely gets the attention it deserves. There are larger political, economic, and social problems that have long plagued the project of unifying the countries of Europe in order to harness its collective economic power, and to avoid the bloody internecine strife that stains its history.

The 2008 Great Recession exposed the incoherence of the E.U.’s economic structure, particularly its single currency, which is held hostage by the diverse economic policies of sovereign nations. The data tell the tale. The E.U.’s GDP grew 1 percent in 2013, anemic compared to the United States' 2.2 percent. In December 2014, unemployment in the E.U. averaged 11.4 percent, while in the U.S. it was 5.6 percent. In the U.S we are troubled by our labor force participation rate of 62.7 percent, a 36-year low. But in the E.U., it was 57.5 percent in 2013. The U.S. recovery from the recession may be slow by historical standards, but it is blazing compared to the E.U.’s.

The E.U.’s economic woes have many causes, but intrusively regulated economies and outsized government spending on generous social welfare transfers are two of the most important. Despite the rebuke of such policies delivered by the recession, government spending as a percentage of GDP has actually increased in the E.U., from 45.5 percent in 2007 to 49 percent in 2013, even as many Europeans decry the harsh “austerity” measures called for by countries like Germany. Greece, the E.U member increasingly in danger of being forced to exit the monetary union and thus risk its unraveling, has nonetheless raised its government spending from 46.8 percent in 2007 to 59 percent in 2013.

Socially, the E.U. is troubled by two trends: demographic decline and the presence of concentrated populations of unassimilated and disaffected immigrants. Europe is an aging people; by 2030, one in four Europeans will be 65 years or older, reflecting the Europeans’ failure to reproduce. Not since the 1970s have European women averaged 2.1 children, the number necessary to replace a population. The rate in 2014 was 1.6. In countries with low retirement ages and generous benefits, an aging population means more and more money taken from the productive young and investment in the economy, further reducing competitiveness, innovation, and growth.

The result has been large concentrations of immigrants segregated in neighborhoods like the banlieues of Paris or the satellite “dish-cities” of Amsterdam. Shut out from labor markets, plied with generous social welfare payments, and allowed to cultivate beliefs and cultural practices inimical to liberal democracy, many of these immigrants despise their new homes.

All these economic, social, and political problems are no secret. But the proposed solutions to them usually focus on policy changes or technical adjustments to the structure and functioning of the E.U. Yet this begs the fundamental question that has troubled European unification ever since it began with the Treaty of Rome in 1957: What comprises the collective beliefs and values that can form the foundations of a genuine European-wide community? What is it that all Europeans believe?

More important, from its beginning, the idea of the E.U. depended on the denigration of patriotism and national pride, for these were seen as the road to the exclusionary, blood-and-soil nationalism that fed Nazism and fascism. Yet all peoples are the product of a particular culture, language, mores, histories, traditions, and landscapes. The “postmodern” abstract E.U. ideal of transcending such parochial identities was destined to collide with the real cultural differences between European nations. These differences have become obvious during the economic crisis of the last decade, when hard-working, thrifty Germans have been loath to subsidize what they see as indolent, improvident Greeks, suggesting that there is more that separates than unites those two peoples. That sense of belonging to a community defined by a shared identity cannot be created by a single currency.

The E.U. is fundamentally undemocratic.Consider Portugal. With unemployment rates at dangerous levels, and its economy to contract by 2.3% — its third straight year of contraction under austerity policies in 2013 — the nation’s Constitutional Court struck down several austerity measures enacted by the government in compliance with European Commission requirements. That prompted Commission officials to pressure the country’s government to simply ignore the ruling, under threat of losing badly needed funding — prompting a constitutional crisis.

In such ways, EU officials are inserting themselves into the governance of member nations. Yet the ordinary people whose lives are seriously affected by such measures have no recourse — they can’t vote to “throw the bums out” as we might say here in the States. This lack of democratic accountability poses a serious problem for member states and the system as whole.

As for political tensions, a system whose officials are responsible for the region’s faltering economies but who are not accountable to the tens of millions of unemployed people in them, is obviously exacerbating those tensions rather than alleviating them.

Moreover, by giving up their national currencies, member countries who experience wage inflation can no longer temporarily deflate their currencies to make their exports more attractive. Those that fall into an economic slowdown or recession can’t “print money” to finance their safety nets for people who are unemployed or who face extreme poverty. Having your own currency may not be such a bad idea after all. Fears that the use of such tools will lead to runaway inflation and interest rates have proven completely unfounded.

Edit.

mf2Ghkv.gif

sounds a lot like the issues they're having in American cities like Detroit where democratically elected mayors are replaced by "emergency managers" who are not elected and consequently not accountable to the people for the often times harsh and bad decisions they make.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/us/anger-in-michigan-over-appointing-emergency-managers.html?_r=0

It's one of the reasons Flint, MI had its water crisis. Unelected officials who neither live nor work in the communities they now oversee, making decisions with money as their motivator and the care of the people a distant second.

DrPizza

Banned
Oh, the EU certainly needs reform, and while it has reformed in various ways already, it's not moving fast enough for many. The ECB needs to not be dominated by German interests and needs to lose its fear of inflation, for example. (I understand the origin of that fear, but 4-5% core inflation would probably be healthy right now, due to indebtedness and underinvestment). Eurozone economic policy needs to be better aligned. It would be better, I think, if the parliament had the power of initiative (to propose their own legislation) rather than vesting that power in the council. Greece is a difficult case; clearly they need to reform, but austerity policies are obviously unsound. Keynes taught us that. We need countercyclical spending.

It would also be great if right-wing UK newspapers were more honest about the EU. UK governments (local and national) using the worst possible interpretation of an EU directive simply to justify their own domestic powergrabs may make the EU look bad, but are not an EU problem, and should not be treated as one.

But reform is impossible from the outside, and there's no way that the EU will allow the UK access to the common market without making it abide by EU regulations (see: Norway, Switzerland for examples of this). Given the choice, it's much better to have some influence over those regulations, rather than none at all.

There's also a practical matter in that EU regulations around things like workers' rights are much better than anything the UK government (or at least, this UK government) will ever conjure up. Similarly, policies such as trying to strip people's benefits while giving tax breaks to the rich, or the attempted ruination of the NHS, are entirely the work of the Tories. These issues are far more significant on a practical day-to-day basis for Brits, and they're entirely the fault of the domestic government.

M.D

My sister is getting married in a few hours at the place I work at.

I will need to be pretty drunk to actually agree to dance.

Vade

Is outright copy/pasting year old Hoover Institution drivel a form of discussion to you?

http://www.hoover.org/research/eu-experiment-has-failed

Hold on let me find some left-leaning think tank garbage that disproves your article.

We can really discuss things then.

Nice POTG meme though.

Instead of using your own words to talk aobut the matter at hand you copy-paste some article with a clear political bias that also manages to transpire an american sense of superiority, while containing more than a few blatant lies. Well done.

Cute gif though.

I actually copy-pasted from http://strategicstudyindia.blogspot.com POGCHAMP

sounds a lot like the issues they're having in American cities like Detroit where democratically elected mayors are replaced by "emergency managers" who are not elected and consequently not accountable to the people for the often times harsh and bad decisions they make.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/us/anger-in-michigan-over-appointing-emergency-managers.html?_r=0

It's one of the reasons Flint, MI had its water crisis. Unelected officials who neither live nor work in the communities they now oversee, making decisions with money as their motivator and the care of the people a distant second.

I have a issue with any democratically elected body being removed without the populations votes. It is the same with the DPS having a non-elected body. Whether people want what happens when you put Kilpatrick in office or not they voted for it, let the people's voice be heard.

DrPizza

Banned
International resurgence of xenophobia throughout the western world is frankly disgusting.

Yes. I realize I'm an odd case, but while I identify strongly as a Londoner and a European, and as an immigrant (I should be getting my US citizenship soon, my interview is in less than a month), I have never felt particularly "English" or "British".

The xenophobia towards EU immigrants in particular is really quite incomprehensible to me. I don't like the self-segregation of the UK's non-EU immigrant population (I understand it, but I'm a cultural imperialist; I believe that secular western liberalism is superior to any theocracy, and as such I think people migrating to the UK should embrace secular western liberalism rather than clinging to their old cultures), but UK non-EU immigration policy is already stricter than the EU requires, so it's not as if this is the EU's fault.

DrPizza

Banned
Pls share.

Anything that makes Riot look awful is good news in my book.

Twookie

the best part about making dinner from the ground up is the never ending dishes that keep stacking up

help

my sick ass lasagna is going to be tasty as fuck tho so it's gonna be worth it

I'm actually enjoying reading these discussions on economics and the EU, please do carry on.

yeah, agreed
i'm european though, go eu

Top Bottom