• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

Ferr986

I completed the main game on PS3 anyway. It's BBI I haven't really played. I enjoy steam rolling the main game :p I'm playing on normal and it's smooth sailing.

I've never played hard mode so it's for the 2nd playthrough.

Oh, Hard mode is pretty disapointing, it's only harder at the beginning, it also cuts your stamina so it's more annoying than hard.

I wish it had a truly hard mode, like BBI difficulty for the open world :(

blackjaw

Friends, play with my pawn!

PSN ID: blackjaw
Platform: PS4
Pawn Name: Rei
Pawn Level: 20
Pawn Vocation: Mage lvl 6
Addition details: Mitigator, Medicant - enjoys long walks, getting lost and goblins

Seiryoden

A bit lttp but:

PSN ID: Shishinden
PS4
Pawn name: Yukiko / Yuki
Pawn level: 12
Pawn vocation: Warrior (Rank 3)
Additional details: Mitigator & Challenger. Bastion & Vigilance. Sensibly dressed. Decent gear.

Just mention Gaf or dd:da.

hew9753

So what's the benefit of playing as a mage in order to supplement my main magic archer vocation? I ranked up as a fighter to get the Sinew perk but will ranking up as a mage help my magic archery damage?

Do we know how RC is calculated for rented pawns? Like, do they get a set amount for completing a quests, different monsters, etc? I got 30K RC from one person and 7k from another. I was wondering how it works. I know I can get a lot of I take people through BBI.

10% of monster mill XP goes to rift crystals.

It varies though based on levels of hired pawns compared to the renter Arisen, main pawn and the other rented pawn.

If your pawn is lower level it gets less rift crystals, down to a minimum of 2.5% per kill. If it higher level it can get up to 17.5% per kill. Each level difference is 1% plus or minus (of the 10%) per difference to the three others. Capped at 25% either way for each.

Any of you between lvl 40-60 that I can hire?

Just switched my pawn to Strider, is mid 40s. May go fighter for a bit later on.

PSN is KylieDog
Pawn name Rayne

If send a friend request lemme know from GAF in message. If you send in next hour or two I'll accept tonight, if not need wait for tomorrow.

So what's the benefit of playing as a mage in order to supplement my main magic archer vocation? I ranked up as a fighter to get the Sinew perk but will ranking up as a mage help my magic archery damage?

Don't play Mage. Play Sorcerer. It better stats than Mage per level up.

Per level up 11-100 (where most stats from)
Mage/Sorcerer
Attack(strength) 2/2
Defense 1/1
Magic attack 4/5
Magic def 4/5
Health 21/16
Stamina 10/15

Health on mage better but endgame that not so important, the extra magic attack and Def is though. Stamina helps too but just play Ranger or Strider a bit if want Stamina.

You may want some Mage augments, but just farm low level mobs with like 90xp per kill when higher level, so it ranks up vocation level but not player level.

Hope posting 3 times in row ok, on mobile and it much easier keeping different convos separate.

PSN: SolemnSilver
PS4
Pawn Name: Anise
Level: 35
Vocation: Mage (Level 8)
Additional Details: Blind in one eye, tailored for offense, glass cannon. High Fire, High Ice, High Lightning, healing, fire enchantment.

10% of monster mill XP goes to rift crystals.

It varies though based on levels of hired pawns compared to the renter Arisen, main pawn and the other rented pawn.

If your pawn is lower level it gets less rift crystals, down to a minimum of 2.5% per kill. If it higher level it can get up to 17.5% per kill. Each level difference is 1% plus or minus (of the 10%) per difference to the three others. Capped at 25% either way for each.
So it's good if your pawn is rented by someone lower level?

EDIT: Btw, how in the fuck y'all in BBI? I'm that slow? lol
I beat the gazer at level 45 with the the use of Conqueror parpiats ( however that word is spelt). BBI is far superior to main game and I don't even want to bother with the base armor set, especially since I'm playing on hard.

can I come in here just to bitch about the absolute travesty it is this game never received co-op?

Okay I'm done.

help yourself. there was endless moaning/groaning about exactly this issue when the game originally released. but, what with the pawn system, it didn't make sense then, either :) ...

Foxxsoxx

As someone who hasn't ever really seen any footage of this game, sell me on it, or ward me away! :O

I like Dark Souls, will I like this?

theDeeDubs

Dragon's Dogma is one of my favorite games of all time. Love and missed it so. It's good to be back. I did 100% achievements/trophies on 360 and PS3 last generation. After the screen tearing on 360 and the hitching slide show that happened a lot on PS3 (especially on Mystic Knight) this port has been a dream.

XBL: DeeDubs
Platform: XB1
Pawn Name: Dante
Pawn Level: 10
Pawn Vocation: Balanced Strider/Mage (at level cap)
Addition details: Build- Fighter 1-25, Warrior 26-50, Ranger 51-100, Sorcerer 101-200

As someone who hasn't ever really seen any footage of this game, sell me on it, or ward me away! :O

I like Dark Souls, will I like this?

Oh yeah. You will definitely love DD. They nail the dark fantasy setting like Souls. It requires you to monitor your stamina, but it feels a little more actiony than Souls to me however. It also has some of the cross-job elements from the good Final Fantasies (leveling up other vocations for their augments).

Audioboxer

Some of the quests in this game are absolutely garbage. Forgot how bad they were lol. Fetch quest 101 or PS2 era writing.

Going for that platinum trophy so they have to be done.

Kitbash

Celestia is still training to develop her full potential, I'd be happy if anyone could perhaps bring her on your various adventures throughout Gran Soren :) (my PSN is LaughingBanana)

Thought those glasses looked familiar! I used your pawn at some point over the weekend, before seeing your post. Seems all roads lead to Gran Soren. :)

Achire

Updating my pawn again:

PSN ID: Achire
Pawn name: Freia
Pawn level: 48
Pawn vocation: Strider
Additional Details: Friendly strider with a cool cloak. Loves dungeon crawling in Bitterblack Isle. Extensive beastiary and quest knowledge, dragonforged BBI gear and high-end skills (Brain Splitter, Hailstorm Volley). Currently #1 ranked Strider on PS4. Please add GAF to your friend requests. I have sent requests to everyone in the OP.

Banned
Holy crap, everyone. Make sure you help out Steffen get his grimoire (A Troublesome Tome) early in the game. He saved my ass later on!

Audioboxer

Updating my pawn again:

PSN ID: Achire
Pawn name: Freia
Pawn level: 48
Additional Details: Friendly strider with a cool cloak. Loves dungeon crawling in Bitterblack Isle. Extensive beastiary and quest knowledge, dragonforged BBI gear and high-end skills (Brain Splitter, Hailstorm Volley). Currently #1 ranked Strider on PS4. Please add GAF to your friend requests. I have sent requests to everyone in the OP.

I've been using your pawn. Are you finished the main game? I noticed all your equipment is now dragon forged I think it's called. That is done by killing a dragon, right?

I'm not really sure what the best etiquette is for GAF pawn usage... so many pawns, so little time :(

I'm a ways behind most people after starting my replay quite late, so most pawns are way ahead of me in terms of level. That, plus the sheer number, is making it tricky to decide who to take. On top of that, heaps of GAFers have been using my pawn (Anwyn, pictured in the second post), so I feel like I have all of these debts I need to repay! Managing this aspect is harder than the game itself for me lol.

Grisby

I had 30.61 left in my ms account so I went in on this. I also wanted to support the game having been a huge DD fan since day 1.

Only played the opening hours but hey! It seems to run better! I forgot how muted the colors looked though. Not saying it's a bad thing.

Man, this game still feels like a real DnD adventure, right from the start. Love it when you fell a boss and this kicks in. So bad ass.

Also, rolled a fighter since I was a strider on my first go around and a mage on my second. Mage was the one who went and beat Dark Arisen on Bitterback. Not sure how much I'm going to get to since Evil Within comes out and Overwatch has their Halloween event this week, but I will be playing this through again at length in the future.

Edit- Oh yeah and if anyone wants to add me on Xbox then be my guest! She'd be a good beginner pawn.

XBL Gamertag: Witch Hunter
Pawn name: Penny
Pawn level: 7
Pawn vocation: Mage
Additional Details: Loves to torment other pawns by playing strategic mind games with them. Hates that wolves hunt in packs. Would prefer them to be single :3

HenryEen

Banned
Thinking of buying this game, but I have a few questions :

1. How comparable the combat in DD to Monster Hunter ?

2. The gameplay structure of the game ? As in, is it like Skyrim/Witcher 3 (full open world) or Dark Souls (multiples zones/area) ?

3. How much contents can I expect from the game ? Can I just mess around in the world killing monsters (I like replaying Monster Hunter quest even though the reward is useless to me, recently it's the same case as Destiny 2's Public Events) ?

4. How's the character progression system (including equipment system) ?

F31 Leopard

A little bummed after I noticed Griffith and Guts' weapons and armors are no longer in. I guess there still is a reason to keep my PS3 version along with this.

Foxxsoxx

Dragon's Dogma is one of my favorite games of all time. Love and missed it so. It's good to be back. I did 100% achievements/trophies on 360 and PS3 last generation. After the screen tearing on 360 and the hitching slide show that happened a lot on PS3 (especially on Mystic Knight) this port has been a dream.

XBL: DeeDubs
Platform: XB1
Pawn Name: Dante
Pawn Level: 10
Pawn Vocation: Balanced Strider/Mage (at level cap)
Addition details: Build- Fighter 1-25, Warrior 26-50, Ranger 51-100, Sorcerer 101-200

Oh yeah. You will definitely love DD. They nail the dark fantasy setting like Souls. It requires you to monitor your stamina, but it feels a little more actiony than Souls to me however. It also has some of the cross-job elements from the good Final Fantasies (leveling up other vocations for their augments).

Good to know, once it gets a sale I'm going to hop right on!

Abylim

Logged in and was greeted with nearly 200k RC. Thanks everyone!

I think I’m going to screw around in BBI for a bit. I’m level 60. Seems like I could handle the early areas easily

HeeHo

I'm loving this game all over again. Playing with a guide and as much eternal riftstone usage as I can.

Been using this steam guide to avoid missing the more finicky quests that will auto cancel if you proceed too far into the story:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600969749

You should use this if you are going for the all side quests trophy.

PSN ID: HeeHo
Pawn name : BoF Ryu
Fighter
LvL 27, (Scather/Acquisitor)

Abylim

Well I think I screwed myself again. Was I supposed to choose hard mode instead of load game after I beat the game?

Fuck

2. The gameplay structure of the game ? As in, is it like Skyrim/Witcher 3 (full open world) or Dark Souls (multiples zones/area) ?

3. How much contents can I expect from the game ? Can I just mess around in the world killing monsters (I like replaying Monster Hunter quest even though the reward is useless to me, recently it's the same case as Destiny 2's Public Events) ?

1.it looks closer to mhw, but its way better than older mh

2.both

3.lots of content

4.preety amazing

It's tricky to answer this. It's most like Witcher 3, but with slightly more loading areas.

In Witcher 3 you have separate areas for Skellige, Kaer Morhen, White Orchard, Vizima, and Toussaint. If you added Novigrad, Oxenfurt, and Brokeback Bog as places that also needed loading, you'd be close.

That said, Dragon's Dogma is a way smaller open world than the Witcher 3.

people

Well I think I screwed myself again. Was I supposed to choose hard mode instead of load game after I beat the game?

Fuck

You can start Hard Mode at any time from the Main Menu. It will start you right after the prologue/tutorial.

Starting Hard Mode will end/interrupt your current playthrough - without completing it and resetting your (quest)progress, but you keep all your items/skills/vocation unlocks.

If you just finished a playthrough, selecting Hard Mode from the Main Menu will effectively start NG+(+++..) on Hard.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

1. They have some similarities. More "user-friendly" and fast-paced, less punishing, but with really cool mechanics like monster climbing, special skills bound to face button, etc. And the skills are all unique and interesting. Like a volley of arrows, dagger attack spam, setting yourself on fire and climbing the enemy, charging a greatsword attack, perfect blocking with an elemental shield + riposte to inflict an elemental status (e.g. freezing the enemy), creating a vortex that draws mobs in and damages them, and of course tons of badass magic spells.

2. Full open world, but much smaller than Skyrim. It has a few Souls-like dungeons too.

3. A lot, and yeah monsters eventually respawn so you can just re-visit previous areas and fight them again. Bitterblack Isle in particular has exactly the kind of monster-slaying loop you'd want.

4. Really good. You don't just gain XP, you also unlock skills related to your current vocation, and you can change vocation at any time (after completing an early story mission). Each vocation has 3 types of skill: active (the ones I described above, that you bind to face buttons), which are directly tied to your vocation, passive (called Augments) which can be shared among vocations, and "Core", which are shared among common weapon types. For example, a Core dagger skill is the dodge roll, a Core staff skill is Levitation; so any vocation where you can equip a dagger will let you dodge roll, and any vocation where you have a staff equipped will let you levitate. You can customize your character abilities like that, along with their gear of course. It also has the best character creator I've seen.

Just found out I have to rest at an inn to upload my pawn.

Jade the Mage is level 20 now. More useful than the level 4 I had there for days.

Flunkie

Banned
PSN ID: Flunkie44
Pawn name: Valkyrie
Mage
LvL 17, (Utilitarian, Aquisitor)

I still can't believe this game exists. When it came out, it was a marriage of all the best things and I still can't believe it's real, honestly.

HenryEen

Banned
1. They have some similarities. More "user-friendly" and fast-paced, less punishing, but with really cool mechanics like monster climbing, special skills bound to face button, etc. And the skills are all unique and interesting. Like a volley of arrows, dagger attack spam, setting yourself on fire and climbing the enemy, charging a greatsword attack, perfect blocking with an elemental shield + riposte to inflict an elemental status (e.g. freezing the enemy), creating a vortex that draws mobs in and damages them, and of course tons of badass magic spells.

2. Full open world, but much smaller than Skyrim. It has a few Souls-like dungeons too.

3. A lot, and yeah monsters eventually respawn so you can just re-visit previous areas and fight them again. Bitterblack Isle in particular has exactly the kind of monster-slaying loop you'd want.

4. Really good. You don't just gain XP, you also unlock skills related to your current vocation, and you can change vocation at any time (after completing an early story mission). Each vocation has 3 types of skill: active (the ones I described above, that you bind to face buttons), which are directly tied to your vocation, passive (called Augments) which can be shared among vocations, and "Core", which are shared among common weapon types. For example, a Core dagger skill is the dodge roll, a Core staff skill is Levitation; so any vocation where you can equip a dagger will let you dodge roll, and any vocation where you have a staff equipped will let you levitate. You can customize your character abilities like that, along with their gear of course. It also has the best character creator I've seen.

Thank you !! Will put DD on my wishlist.

Also from the videos I see, the game have party system ? Is it tied to the Pawn everyone mentioned here ?

Hulohot

Neo Member
Hi all, third time through Dragons Dogma now, just started the PS4 version again and have a pawn around level 26 to let out.

PSN ID: Glastriel
Platform: PS4
Pawn Name: Athena
Pawn Level: 26 ish
Pawn Vocation: Mage maximum level

Addition details: An immortal healing Mage. She lacks combat power but is tooled up with healing, element buffing and ailment curing spells and uses the legion staff, which she uses to quickly resurrect herself when she dies. A Mage you can rely on!

How would people like to see a support Mage pawn set up? What inclinations and spells?

I still can't believe this game exists. When it came out, it was a marriage of all the best things and I still can't believe it's real, honestly.
I'm equally amazed that it exists (and that they nailed it), and disappointed that it didn't sell a tonne of copies. I really hope the Remaster exceeds Capcom's expectations, and they start thinking about a sequel (with co-op).

Also from the videos I see, the game have party system ? Is it tied to the Pawn everyone mentioned here ?
You have your own player character. Then you can create your own main pawn. That leaves two other slots, where you can basically hire other players' main pawns (and they can hire yours too). So max party size is four.

NightOnyx

I bought the game and played a bunch of it today. Man, I forgot how good this game is! I had it on PS3 when it came out, I remember really loving it but I never finished it for one reason or another. The combat and climbing is so much fun though, and the pawn system is awesome. I still have no clue why that isn't used in more games?

With that said, this game needs a sequel in the worst way. As much fun as I'm having, this is most definitely a last generation game. It looks like it and it feels like it, and I can't help but feel like the game is held back because of that. There is so much potential here, and if Capcom would take the things that really work with this game and make a modern version of it on a good engine, it could be something really special. Also, this game would be incredible as a co-op game. I'd love if my character and pawn could team up with a friend and their pawn. I love the 4 party system with the pawns, but it would be even better if I could play the game with a friend as well.

Pawn update:

PSN ID: Optimus_Prime
Pawn name: Elsa
Pawn level: 39
Additional details: Elsa will eventually be a sorcerer (based on my daughter's and our family's enjoyment of Frozen of course), but she's a strider for now. When you add me, please do mention Gaf or Dragon's Dogma. Thanks!
Offense: Strength - Primary 319 (Scalding Razors), Secondary 368 (Pleached Limbs) Defense: 365, Magick 347
Skills: Primary - Hundred Kisses, Skull Splitter, Shearing Wind; Secondary - Fivefold Flurry, Downpour Volley, Fracture Dart
Augments: Sinew, Bastion, Eminence, Arm-Strength, Dexterity, Awareness
Inclination: Utilitarian, Scather, Challenger

Abylim

So what abilities should I be using as Magick Archer? I’m pretty much using sixfold bolt and hunter bolt. Not sure what else to use

Top Bottom