• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

Dristan

Neo Member
Is there any balance changes in this version of the game? In the base game I enjoyed trying to fashion up my pawn cus stats didn't mean much but once Dark Arisen came out the gear you got from that made such a big difference in survivability that not equipping it made your pawn a liability.
There was also dumb little things like the fact that your pawn dying meant automatic 3 star rating and you wouldn't get rift cystal rewards no matter how long they were with someone I believe. So if they decided to fight Daimon with your pawn welp. Plus good forbid you wanted your pawn to use certain attacks.
Believe me I loved the game in the PS360 days but if they didn't even try to fix some things I'm not sure I want to bother with this at full price.

I actually looked it up the other day as it happened when a Cyclops batted a pawn off a cliff, they keep any RC earned but knowledge gained is lost and they automatically get 3 stars as a rating.

BBi gonna be hell for some. I suggest when people go there release your rented pawns often, sleep, then rehire if wanna still use the same pawns.

Jolkien

Wow so far early impression are really good. The combat is fun, the movement is fun, lots of thing (and monster) you can climb. I love the sprint speed and the gear is awesome looking to boot. Reminds me of fashion souls. Quick question I can't figure out what's the load effect ? I assume the heavier stuff you carry the less stamina you regen ?

Still really early I just made my main pawn but so far this game is a blast.

Ferr986

Is there any balance changes in this version of the game? In the base game I enjoyed trying to fashion up my pawn cus stats didn't mean much but once Dark Arisen came out the gear you got from that made such a big difference in survivability that not equipping it made your pawn a liability.
There was also dumb little things like the fact that your pawn dying meant automatic 3 star rating and you wouldn't get rift cystal rewards no matter how long they were with someone I believe. So if they decided to fight Daimon with your pawn welp. Plus good forbid you wanted your pawn to use certain attacks.
Believe me I loved the game in the PS360 days but if they didn't even try to fix some things I'm not sure I want to bother with this at full price.

It's the same Dark Arisen version.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just hanging around, my Arisen and main Pawn.

JkmuVy.jpg

Celestia is still training to develop her full potential, I'd be happy if anyone could perhaps bring her on your various adventures throughout Gran Soren :) (my PSN is LaughingBanana)

gtfidS.jpg

Atlantis

Failed “lost and found” because I couldn’t get past the bandits so I moved on and did the everfall. Did I miss anything?

Also should I max out a spec before changing?

Glad to know I'm not the only one who had a ton of trouble with those bandits! The shield/sword wielding ones could easily two-shot me. (They also gave a lot of EXP, kinda mini-bossish?)

The first group wasn't terrible but I ended up just going around the second group.

Completed the Witchwood and the well mini-dungeon back in the first town. This is my first time playing the game and I'm having a blast.

Murkas

Enjoying this so much more than when I completed vanilla on PS3, the improved loading times probably help. Switched from Magick Archer back to Strider because I need it's final augments.

Is there a difference between upgrading a weapon from 1* straight to 3* and upgrading it all 3 times 1*, 2*, 3*?

Don't have the mats for my magick bows 2* upgrades but I do for its 3*.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Enjoying this so much more than when I completed vanilla on PS£, the improved loading times probably help. Switched from Magick Archer back to Strider because I need it's final augments.

Is there a difference between upgrading a weapon from 1* straight to 3* and upgrading it all 3 times 1*, 2*, 3*?

Don't have the mats for my magick bows 2* upgrades but I do for its 3*.

If you can just upgrade it straight to 3, it will save you the mats for the 2nd upgrade.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, that's still there.

Full price though? I got it for £15. :D

Wow so far early impression are really good. The combat is fun, the movement is fun, lots of thing (and monster) you can climb. I love the sprint speed and the gear is awesome looking to boot. Reminds me of fashion souls. Quick question I can't figure out what's the load effect ? I assume the heavier stuff you carry the less stamina you regen ?

Still really early I just made my main pawn but so far this game is a blast.

Every item, potion, armor piece, ect has a certain weight, the more you carry the slower you become, however there are only 3 weight classes light, average, heavy.

The more stamina, the more you can carry, and perform techniques, carry crates, or even carry enemies.

When creating your Arisen or pawn, certain things will determine your stamina, but for the most part,augmented skills,choosing better gear,carrying only what you need, using pawns as mules for loot will alway give you an edge regarding stamina.

One last thing, don't be afraid of having other pawns carry stuff for you and say they die, when they die they transfer all the loot to your main inventory found at local inns.

Jolkien

Every item, potion, armor piece, ect has a certain weight, the more you carry the slower you become, however there are only 3 weight classes light, average, heavy.

The more stamina, the more you can carry, and perform techniques, carry crates, or even carry enemies.

When creating your Arisen or pawn, certain things will determine your stamina, but for the most part,augmented skills,choosing better gear,carrying only what you need, using pawns as mules for loot will alway give you an edge regarding stamina.

One last thing, don't be afraid of having other pawns carry stuff for you and say they die, when they die they transfer all the loot to your main inventory found at local inns.

Good to know thanks ! Should I change my Pawns often ?

Good to know thanks ! Should I change my Pawns often ?

That depends, I only use pawns whe necessary,
I started at level 4 bitter black isle solo run and I've been having lots of fun.

But I have played the game before with all pawns for a less dark souls experience.

Jolkien

I really wish they'de be a dodge roll or something to get out of an animation. I'll learn but so far I'm getting punished heavily :p

Jolkien

So I'm getting tired of being one shotted by some enemies, think I'll go back to normal and get my hard mode trophy in NG+ from what I saw everything carries over ? So I should be able to mostly mow down everything in hard mode NG+.

Audioboxer

Is there any way to increase the chances to get what you want from bitterblack weapon and armor lvl 1s? (or any for that matter?)

I understand they seem to be set rolls the second you pick them up, so no reloading and purifying again will do the trick. Is it just farm and pray to RNGesus?

Done some farming with the RCs my pawn has made and I seem to be unlocking everything but what I want lol.

Ferr986

So I'm getting tired of being one shotted by some enemies, think I'll go back to normal and get my hard mode trophy in NG+ from what I saw everything carries over ? So I should be able to mostly mow down everything in hard mode NG+.

Everything carries over yeah. Hard mode will be a cakewalk on NG+

Is there any way to increase the chances to get what you want from bitterblack weapon and armor lvl 1s? (or any for that matter?)

I understand they seem to be set rolls the second you pick them up, so no reloading and purifying again will do the trick. Is it just farm and pray to RNGesus?

Done some farming with the RCs my pawn has made and I seem to be unlocking everything but what I want lol.

What you get from puryifing depends on the speciality of your character and pawn. Say, if you want a bow, put your character and pawn and Archer type to get either a shortbow and longbow. Same with armor (red/yellow/blue = fighters/archers/mages styles).
Hybrid vocations are a little trickier cause they represent 2 types so its harder to get their stuff.

if you want a concrete thing, reloading doesn't work, because it goes through a random but fixed list, so you need to purify it and get the cursed item again.

Audioboxer

Everything carries over yeah. Hard mode will be a cakewalk on NG+

What you get from puryifing depends on the speciality of your character and pawn. Say, if you want a bow, put your character and pawn and Archer type to get either a shortbow and longbow. Same with armor (red/yellow/blue = fighters/archers/mages styles).
Hybrid vocations are a little trickier cause they represent 2 types so its harder to get their stuff.

if you want a concrete thing, reloading doesn't work, because it goes through a random but fixed list, so you need to purify it and get the cursed item again.

Thanks. So if I want daggers/bow put both to say, strider?

I'm an assassin and my pawn is a sorcerer.

Achire

Edit: pretty much what Ferr986 just said

The item that is purified depends on your and your pawn's vocation. The only thing you can do is to change the vocation of both to e.g. strider/ranger to get ranged gear.

The rolls are actually determined before you even pick up the item. The game goes theough a randomized but pre-determined loot list. The only thing you can do is to just get a lot of items to purify so you move along the list. BBI chests are a pretty good source of cursed items, and you can reset them by resting at an inn outside of BBI.

Audioboxer

Edit: pretty much what Ferr986 just said

The item that is purified depends on your and your pawn's vocation. The only thing you can do is to change the vocation of both to e.g. strider/ranger to get ranged gear.

The rolls are actually determined before you even pick up the item. The game goes theough a randomized but pre-determined loot list. The only thing you can do is to just get a lot of items to purify so you move along the list. BBI chests are a pretty good source of cursed items, and you can reset them by resting at an inn outside of BBI.

Thanks. Wouldn't strider/strider be better if I don't want long range bows?

Nameless

Yeah. I'm sorta bumping up against this. The Queen's Clothing is by far the best gear I have but it's the difference between my character looking Princess Peach:

Instead of a budding tool of Arcane destruction:

So far I've just been approaching like Souls -- play for fashion until I have to play for stats. Too bad there isn't was a transmog feature.

Audioboxer

Yeah. I'm sorta bumping up against this. The Queen's Clothing is by far the best gear I have but it's the difference between my character looking Princess Peach:

Instead of a budding tool of Arcane destruction:

So far I've just been approaching like Souls -- play for fashion until I need to play for stats. Too bad there isn't was a transmog feature.

Play with fashion early on. People refuse to hire pawns if they wear that damn dress. I know I do :p

If you want to do some daring death runs some decent early game armour can be gotten in Bitterblack Isle. weapons are a bit more complex as most have minimum levels needed to stop insane stamina drain.

I don't think pawns suffer from weapon level requirement stamina drawn though.

Nameless

Play with fashion early on. People refuse to hire pawns if they wear that damn dress. I know I do :p

If you want to do some daring death runs some decent early game armour can be gotten in Bitterblack Isle. weapons are a bit more complex as most have minimum levels needed to stop insane stamina drain.

I don't think pawns suffer from weapon level requirement stamina drawn though.

Ditto. And it wouldn't even be that bad if not for the silly little crown.

Achire

Thanks. Wouldn't strider/strider be better if I don't want long range bows?

Good question, sadly the answer is no. As Ferr986 hinted above, there are three loot lists based on vocation: red (melee), yellow (ranged) and blue (magic). If you are both striders or rangers you will get yellow list loot i.e. strider/ranger/magic archer/assassin gear. It's useful to avoid being a hybrid class when purifying, because those belong to two lists (e.g. blue and yellow for magic archer).

Who needs classes or weapons when you can become the ultimate utilitarian.

https://youtu.be/DgPMKl5aYGE

I went straight to bitter black Isle , arrived there at level 3, so far it's been a blast making my way through using all the resources at my disposal, not to mention I'm not using my own pawn, he still at level 1 tucked away.

Muahahaha.

GOAT keeps delivering 5 years later.

Audioboxer

Ditto. And it wouldn't even be that bad if not for the silly little crown.

Yeah, full outfits are just trash.

Good question, sadly the answer is no. As Ferr986 hinted above, there are three loot lists based on vocation: red (melee), yellow (ranged) and blue (magic). If you are both striders or rangers you will get yellow list loot i.e. strider/ranger/magic archer/assassin gear. It's useful to avoid being a hybrid class when purifying, because those belong to two lists (e.g. blue and yellow for magic archer).

lol I went strider/strider and got the dragons pain daggers first purification.

I'm not sure I follow, still a bit confused. There's a bow I want now that I have the daggers, and what you're saying is make my pawn a ranger if I'm set as strider?

This is wrong on several accounts.

There is a very light weight carrying class and a very heavy weight carrying class, very light is easy to achieve using a couple of augments, my Arisen is a fighter right now and very light goes all the way to 30Kg. You won't see very heavy unless you got a heavy character weight during creation. (Character weight not same as carry weight)

Stamina doesn't let you carry more, strength does, what the weight class does is decrease movement speed the heavier you are, but also increase how much stamina you use when use a stamina ability. You also recharge stamina slower when heavier.

Sinew (fighter rank 5) and Clout (Warrior rank 9) will put you in very light weight class no matter what you're wearing, with plenty of weight to spare.

This is wrong on several accounts.

There is a very light weight carrying class and a very heavy weight carrying class, very light is easy to achieve using a couple of augments, my Arisen is a fighter right now and very light goes all the way to 30Kg. You won't see very heavy unless you got a heavy character weight during creation. (Character weight not same as carry weight)

Stamina doesn't let you carry more, strength does, what the weight class does is decrease movement speed the heavier you are, but also increase how much stamina you use when use a stamina ability. You also recharge stamina slower when heavier.

Sinew (fighter rank 5) and Clout (Warrior rank 9) will put you in very light weight class no matter what you're wearing, with plenty of weight to spare.

Right, what he said.

I was hoping to give a general overview, forgot the important details and some more.

Although I have to say in the long run game is fun no matter what you end up creating and you will be OP faster than most rpgs out there especially with pawns.

]blacky[;251337038 said:
Where can I find my pawn-favourite-list?

And when a pawn dies am I able to recruit him again?

I was able to to re-hire a pawn that my pawn had met before, you can try that option in case a pawn you hire died.

There is also a symbol (two little hands?)
That shows wich pawns you hired before.

Nameless

Not proud of it but I threw a Battle Bra on my fighter Pawn Friday night after noticing that 'sexy' Pawns were rated more often than the ones dressed normally and what do you know, she was summoned twice as much yesterday than the four days prior.

Audioboxer

Stiders are awesome, check how I manipulated the succubus flight in my favor.

https://youtu.be/b399R0MJFxM

Double Jumps and snare tech.

Strider is awesome. Crowd control is a bit better than assassin, but assassin is higher damage. Assassin does have stealth too.

Not proud of it but I threw a Battle Bra on my fighter Pawn Friday night after noticing that 'sexy' Pawns were rated more often than the ones dressed normally and what do you know, she was summoned twice as much yesterday than the four days prior.

Pffft. My pawn is fully clothed in bad ass mage gear and a great staff. I get good appearance ratings. Not up for hire right now though as I had temp switched to strider for bitterblack farming.

Funnily enough there is lots of underwear dropping in bitterblack isle chests...

Achire

Female pawns in skimpy clothing definitely get more hires. Just look at the top ranked pawns list. People hire more based on looks than gear, which is yet another reason to drop the queen dress.

Audioboxer

Damnit. Have about 6 chilled razor daggers trying to get the noble limbs bow lol. I've ran out of rift crystals now too. I'll have to go back to the main story line for now rather than Bitterblack farming.

If anyone is feeling generous care to use my pawn for a short while for some RC? PSN is Audioboxer. I've converted her back to a sorcerer now. Has decent gear and spells. Level 34. Cheers.

JqH2jp0.jpg

I did get some new gear for main and finally the hat needed for pawns armour.

No skimpy clothing above (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Do we know how RC is calculated for rented pawns? Like, do they get a set amount for completing a quests, different monsters, etc? I got 30K RC from one person and 7k from another. I was wondering how it works. I know I can get a lot of I take people through BBI.

Just hanging around, my Arisen and main Pawn.

JkmuVy.jpg

Celestia is still training to develop her full potential, I'd be happy if anyone could perhaps bring her on your various adventures throughout Gran Soren :) (my PSN is LaughingBanana)

gtfidS.jpg

Hey, my girlfriend got your friend request! Your pawn is really cute! My partner likes her bookish appeal.

Her own pawn is quite a bit higher level now, and I'm throwing in a picture:

PSN: Agacerie
Pawn Name: Sofiane
Pawn Level: 90
Pawn Vocation: Lv. 9 Ranger

Ferr986

Btw, for the archers out there, Shortbows (Strider and Asssassin) do more damage close range, while Longbows (Ranger) does more damage the farther you're on.

Female pawns in skimpy clothing definitely get more hires. Just look at the top ranked pawns list. People hire more based on looks than gear, which is yet another reason to drop the queen dress.

It REALLY does, tested it myself , it was the same on 360 , the difference between not being summoned with regular clothing and being constantly summoned with skimpy stuff was staggering lol

EDIT: Btw, how in the fuck y'all in BBI? I'm that slow? lol

Audioboxer

Btw, for the archers out there, Shortbows (Strider and Asssassin) do more damage close range, while Longbows (Ranger) does more damage the farther you're on.

It REALLY does, tested it myself , it was the same on 360 , the difference between not being summoned with regular clothing and being constantly summoned with skimpy stuff was staggering lol

EDIT: Btw, how in the fuck y'all in BBI? I'm that slow? lol

I went to BBI early to farm out some good gear and weapons (from chests, not strong enough to take on the big enemies). I'm only level 35 right now and still lots of the main game to complete.

Ferr986

I went to BBI early to farm out some good gear and weapons (from chests, not strong enough to take on the big enemies). I'm only level 35 right now and still lots of the main game to complete.

Hmm... the BBI gear is so OP it would make the main game ridiculously easy :/

Audioboxer

Hmm... the BBI gear is so OP it would make the main game ridiculously easy :/

I completed the main game on PS3 anyway. It's BBI I haven't really played. I enjoy steam rolling the main game :p I'm playing on normal and it's smooth sailing.

I've never played hard mode so it's for the 2nd playthrough.

Top Bottom