• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Gvaz

Banned
K.Sabot said:
60 hours for the first game (minus the dlc) is stretching it quite a bit. So if they are stretching it relevant to the first game, then I'm predicting around 25 hours.

daorigins.exe_2011-03-il1b.jpg

;)

Granted you can probably minus 15 hours from that total because of me pausing the game and getting up to do other things like take a shower or eat, or alt tab and realize 2 hours later the game is still running...

I remember reading negative things about the fade. Then I started the game as a mage and thought it was completely overblown after doing the origin quest. Then I hit the real fade quest and hoooboy what a chore. It's almost as awful as the melee combat.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I remember falling into it and staying up until 3am because I wanted to finish the story arc I was on. What a massive pain in the ass. I nearly forgot what I was even doing.

Still not as bad as the werewolves issue. I spend FOREVER tearing through that cave, committing genocide, running out of encumbrance bandwidth even when I only keep the most valuable loot, only to find out it was because of that douchebag and he just didn't bother telling me? Definitely going to go on an elf genocide in return next time. Those stuck up assholes are supposed to be more sensitive to what's going on.

Fredescu

kai3345 said:
not sure if serious
+ Fun alternate abilities not used elsewhere in the game
+ The only dungeon with useful loot
+ Non linear progression, with some degree of required exploration
+ One of the shortest dungeons in the game

- Shitty vaseline effect that I didn't mind but I know pisses some people off
- Not a fault of the dungeon itself, but it has the possibility to be at the end of a very long quest line

Zzoram

I thought The Fade was good. It just went on a bit too long. If it was 2/3 the length, it would've received a lot less hate.

I liked the transformations.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
K.Sabot said:
60 hours for the first game (minus the dlc) is stretching it quite a bit. So if they are stretching it relevant to the first game, then I'm predicting around 25 hours.
I beat the first game in 50 hours, and frankly Origins is one of those games that feels like it is stretched really thin. You go into the Deep Roads and come out like 6 hours later. Fuck that. Seriously.

Fredescu said:
Sure, skip the best dungeon in the game. Go right ahead.
I actually stopped playing the game at the Fade. Not necessarily because it was terrible, but because it totally killed the forward momentum of the game for me. Mind you I only started playing like a month ago. I have played it for over 20 hours, decided I got my money's worth out of it and youtubed/read up about the landsmeet and ending (although I'll probably go back to it if I have time). And I thought I was ready for DA2.

But man, out of what I played of the DA2 PC demo, it was a total bummer. The new UI looks crappy. Don't like the way the map is a totally separate screen. I don't mind the lack of a fixed isometric view but you need the ability to zoom out more to see the battlefield properly. The attack animations don't look right (perhaps a side effect of trying to speed up the combat?). For some reason I can't shake the feeling that everything looks slightly more stylized. And its also weird to have your character speak.

I dunno, I loved Mass Effect being so action oriented and loved playing it on console, but the way they streamlined DA2 rubs me the wrong way a bit. It just feels like it should be one of those games with a crap load of depth. Hopefully the full game still has that.

Bernbaum

What 'Fade' are people referring to? The opening story for the Mage or as part of the Broken Circle quest inside the tower? Or is there another 'Fade' sequence towards the end?

I'm 25 hours in on my first playthrough and have plenty to do.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
That one.
People didn't like that? It was fun! Surprisingly long too - I'll just enter this room and, oh there's a demon toying with some guy, this won't take a minute at all...

I liked the gradual picking up skills that opened up new areas in the Fade, and the realisation that I could backtrack to 'completed' sections with my new abilities/morphs and find extra loot.

Well cool, that's a reflief, I thought the 'Fade' was something horrible that I hadn't played yet.

kai3345

Banned
I liked the forms and the character dreams. but it was all the god damned backtracking that killed me. If it was a more traditional layout I think I wouold have liked it more.

On the 360 the one plus the Fade had was that when I was done being in it, the regular game didn't look all shitty graphically anymore.

Neki

HK-47 said:
Fade was one of the few redeeming areas of DAO. It actually had some inspiration behind it.
I'd never want to go through that crap on more than one character though. I play DA:O because I really enjoy the party aspect of it, but to force me to go through that crap for 2+ hours with no help? Not fun at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gvaz said:
;)

Granted you can probably minus 15 hours from that total because of me pausing the game and getting up to do other things like take a shower or eat, or alt tab and realize 2 hours later the game is still running...

I'm not huge against spoilers, but is that location what I think it is/means?

Fredescu

Ultimoo said:
You're able to use a fire AE on top of yourself because you're in a form thats immune to fire, then AE quake, then shift to spirit for regen. That's plenty of help. You're nigh on overpowered in the fade.

K.Sabot said:

I guess I'm weird because my final DA:O save after my first playthrough was about 120 hours. I'm a completionist though.

Neki

Fredescu said:
You're able to use a fire AE on top of yourself because you're in a form thats immune to fire, then AE quake, then shift to spirit for regen. That's plenty of help. You're nigh on overpowered in the fade.
I never said the Fade itself was overly hard, I just enjoy the party micromanagement of DA:O infinitely more than the solo play that I had to put up with while in the Fade, playing a party is just much more enjoyable in my eyes than being slightly overpowered.

HK-47 said:
Fade was one of the few redeeming areas of DAO. It actually had some inspiration behind it.

Exactly. If I remember one of the main complaints against DA:O was that it was too LOTR-esque and an unoriginal Tolkien wank fest. The fade was cool. The Deep Roads, now that was the worst area.

Mr_Zombie

GillianSeed79 said:
I guess I'm weird because my final DA:O save after my first playthrough was about 120 hours. I'm a completionist though.
Same here. I tried to do everything in Origins (I even visited every location before going to Landsmeet to make sure I haven't missed anything :D) and in the end it took me about 108 hours to finish the game.

I've tried the character creator yesterday and... yeah, I hope they will release DA2 Toolset or at least DA:O Toolset will allow you to create/modify characters in DA2. Even though the creator was very similiar to DA:O creator, after using Toolset and playing a little with EVE CC, the character creator in DA2 feels really poor. I wasn't even able to recreate my Grey Warden :(

I don't understand why don't they make a more robust CC (maybe even as an external app if you don't like seeing so many sliders during normal CC) and put all options from Toolset there.

Gvaz

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
I'm not huge against spoilers, but is that location what I think it is/means?

Well...if you know what it means from post-coronation you probably have nothing to be spoiled about.

Anyways,

Has anyone used the console UI in this yet? I want to mess around but it doesn't seem to be accepting the dev console even though I changed it to tilde in the ini and enabled it in the shortcut too.

Mr_Zombie

Gvaz said:
Has anyone used the console UI in this yet? I want to mess around but it doesn't seem to be accepting the dev console even though I changed it to tilde in the ini and enabled it in the shortcut too.

Guys from DA Nexus did: http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/304906-da2-demo-console-enabled/

edgedy said:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age 2 Demo\bin_ship\DragonAge2Demo.exe" -enabledeveloperconsole

So far I've found the following that work.
runscript killallhostiles
runscript addxp
runscript pc_immortal

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ukresistance said:
How many disks does the 360 version of Dragon Age 2 come on?

One.

On the side note, I enjoyed the Fade, but I can see why people might despise it.

However, I am honestly surprised by the amount of people despising the Deep Roads. I thought that is the most awesome part of the original DA: O, with chilling and satisfying conclusion all around.

That said, can't wait to play the 2nd one.

Kinspiracy said:
I remember reading negative things about the fade. Then I started the game as a mage and thought it was completely overblown after doing the origin quest. Then I hit the real fade quest and hoooboy what a chore. It's almost as awful as the melee combat.
Take that and add some additional frustration of being a glass cannon rogue or a healing spec mage and it was damn near torture at times

Pikelet

The fade is where i stopped playing the first one, the combat just isn't good enough to sustain such a long dungeon. Not to mention the fact that it was ugly as fuck and required a fair bit of backtracking.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I've already been outbid on the Signature Edition auctions. I guess I won't get them for 99p!

Plus the Fade is tough as a support mage with only arcane bolt. I can't survive the opening Fade encounter on Nightmare.

Ricker

I hope we get a change in the thread title if the game turns out great,despite not having Crysis 2 graphics and ME 2 dialogue hehe...anyway I enjoyed the demo on the 360 and looking forward to next week...I now have a pretty good gaming PC though so I might have to forget about the comfy couch...can`t finish the demo on the PC though because it always freezes at the same place,hopefully it`s just the demo...

JayDubya

Banned
The Fade was interesting / cool, but since the entire time you're using these different forms that have nothing to do with your character, and since you want to get all the stat boosting pillars, you have to do the same tasks, in the same order, each time you playthough the game.

The fun of multiple playthroughs is going through the same encounters and situations in different orders (and thus different experience levels), with different characters and abilities.

The Sloth fight is really the only thing in the Fade that might play out at all differently.

Insofar as the Deep Roads? Loved it. Massive dungeon section with tough battles and creepy monsters.

I didn't mind the Deep Roads either. I thought that whole section was filled with mystery and awesome encounters. It also was an example of why I love the world of Dragon Age. Most fantasy stuff is like "the elves are like humans, except sexier and more awesome...dwarves are the masters of the underground...wizards are super beings that can do whatever they want in society" it turns all of these tired conventions around and makes for a world where the dwarves and elves and mages are subjugated and chased from their homes and locked into towers and killed simply for wanting to be free. I really hope DA2 doesn't screw any of that up.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I don't get the complaints on the Fade and Deep Roads, they're long and have a lot of interesting fights. As dungeon crawls they give a lot of freedom in how to deal with each encounter, unlike ones where a cutscene puts you into a fight where you're surrounded for example.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, I liked that the place called the Deep Roads was actually, well, deep. I had a blast dungeon crawling through a place that seemed endless. Good bit of RP.

I enjoyed the Fade personally but I can see why people didn't. I think the two biggest issues were that 1. it was a little too long and 2. Came tacked on at the end of the Mage Tower quest which made it feel even longer.

gokieks

Ysiadmihi said:
I didn't mind the Fade on my first playthrough, but more than once? It's boring as hell.

To be fair, this applies to much more than just the Fade. Just the idea of doing Orzammar and Deep Roads again made me quit my last attempted replay, even with using cheating items that I created to trivialize the gameplay content (I was replaying for different plot decisions).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think my biggest issue with The Fade is that I don't enjoy the art and there isn't any real artistic variety for like 2 hours straight. I enjoy the art from the rest of the game quite a bit more.

Patryn

So I finally started feeling the Fade fatigue on my fourth playthrough of the game.

But I think it's simply because at this point I know exactly where to go and what to do, and I've been able to build my character perfectly, so there is no real challenge left in it.

In many ways, it reminds me of an adventure game or a puzzle game, where once you know the solution, you'll never quite have the same experience.

I enjoyed the fade the first time through but I hated it on my second playthrough. The first time it felt like a nice change of pace but on the second playthrough it overstayed its welcome. I never had any issues with the Deep Roads but I can definitely see why others may have.

Hixx

Stallion Free said:
I think my biggest issue with The Fade is that I don't enjoy the art and there isn't any real artistic variety for like 2 hours straight. I enjoy the art from the rest of the game quite a bit more.

That's probably my biggest problem with the Fade too, its the same stuff for quite a long period of time; there's no way I could do it in one sitting. It just gets a bit monotonous. It's not a bad section of the game, its just not something I look forward to. I will probably get that Skip the Fade addon for my next quick run through.

On another note, I kind of wish I never played Witch Hunt now. If that isn't referenced/tied up in DA2 it will be so incredibly shit and I just have this feeling there'll be nothing said about it for some reason.

Arjen

Felix Lighter said:
I enjoyed the fade the first time through but I hated it on my second playthrough. The first time it felt like a nice change of pace but on the second playthrough it overstayed its welcome. I never had any issues with the Deep Roads but I can definitely see why others may have.

Excatly how i felt, first time i thought it was wel done and something fresh.
Seond playtrough i didn't like it at all, didn't even bother getting the skill totems

The deep roads didn't bother me at all in a 2nd playthrough of Origins. Yes that whole section and Orzammar go on for a bit but it never actually got tedious. Probably because every time I hit a map transition I went back to Orzammar to unload the loot or to do some other quests or even do some side quest of Orzammar. So the deep roads didn't feel like an endless nightmare dungeon like the fade. The fade wasn't too bad either the first time around but it does get rather tedious and annoying if you do it in red cliff -> broken circle -> fade order.

Top Bottom