• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Patryn

HixxSAFC said:
That's probably my biggest problem with the Fade too, its the same stuff for quite a long period of time; there's no way I could do it in one sitting. It just gets a bit monotonous. It's not a bad section of the game, its just not something I look forward to. I will probably get that Skip the Fade addon for my next quick run through.

On another note, I kind of wish I never played Witch Hunt now. If that isn't referenced/tied up in DA2 it will be so incredibly shit and I just have this feeling there'll be nothing said about it for some reason.

Sounds like if nothing else, just as with Golems of Amgarrack, some enemy types that are in DA2 made their debut in Witch Hunt.

chris-013 said:
DragonAge2Demo2011-03-0117-13-33-81-1.jpg

Yes. That's more like it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
chris-013 said:
Character creation is already better than the first. ^^
Oh wow! Those are good looking faces, I'm impressed. Does it have codes so you can share yours with us?

Stallion Free said:
I hope so. Grab a code as a starting point and then tweak from there is what I would prolly do.
Plus it means that a Dragon Age Saves and a Dragon Age Faces can happen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thnikkaman said:
Oh wow! Those are good looking faces, I'm impressed. Does it have codes so you can share yours with us?
I hope so. Grab a code as a starting point and then tweak from there is what I would prolly do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You guys wanted to play as Paul Rudd? Um, okay. Whatever flips your switch, I guess.

Dice

Thnikkaman said:
Can you make Paul Rudd in DAO?

I thought not.
I'll see if I can when I get it. When I had it on PS3 I made a delicious babe.

Mr_Zombie

Thnikkaman said:

Unfortunately, no face codes (at least in demo). That's one thing that BioWare should copy from ME2 but failed to do it :(

Hixx

Patryn said:
Sounds like if nothing else, just as with Golems of Amgarrack, some enemy types that are in DA2 made their debut in Witch Hunt.

Yeah had a look on the DA Wikia and it looks like the boss type of Witch Hunt will be back. He hit surprisingly hard considering how easy that DLC was as a whole.

D6AMIA6N

I know this is going to sound bad, but I tried playing DOA: O on the 360 at the same time or around the same time as I was playing Mass Effect 2, and just couldn't do it. The graphics were seriously like original XBox level, well maybe not that bad, but compared to ME2, they were not good. That was the first problem. Then the gameplay style of point and click. That was the second issue. Third issue was the menu design, just bad. Finally THE F'ING FADE....kill me. Game was sold shortly after. Hopefully part 2 will be more console friendly.

2San

D6AMIA6N said:
I know this is going to sound bad, but I tried playing DOA: O on the 360 at the same time or around the same time as I was playing Mass Effect 2, and just couldn't do it. The graphics were seriously like original XBox level, well maybe not that bad, but compared to ME2, they were not good. That was the first problem. Then the gameplay style of point and click. That was the second issue. Third issue was the menu design, just bad. Finally THE F'ING FADE....kill me. Game was sold shortly after. Hopefully part 2 will be more console friendly.
I think you are better of just skipping Dragon Age 2 altogether tbh.

D6AMIA6N

2San said:
I think you are better of just skipping Dragon Age 2 altogether tbh.

Damn, really? I like the settings, charcters, etc., but as a current gen game, the original one just failed to impress me on any level, sound, design, graphically. I admit though, that I likely did not give the game a fair shot, as I was so into ME2 at the time.

EDIT: An I honestly do appreciate the feedback, I buy too many games as it is.

Well I don't know. It sounds like DA2 may be more up your alley if you're looking for console friendly and more like ME2. I think on consoles the graphics are up to standard. You may not find the combat as boring as it's more interactive and akin to a console action rpg. The menus seem less intense and pretty easy to work around this time as well.

X-Frame

Face codes better be in the full game. I always suck at making custom characters.

I want a FemHawke that looks like Olivia Wilde.

g23

European pre-madonna
I think you guys don't realize how much of an upgrade the combat system is for console players. That alone makes me excited for the game.

Damn. Now I'm thinking I should play Awakening & Witch Hunt real quick before DA2. As someone who
sacrificed myself
at the end of DA:O and already watched the end of Witch Hunt on youtube, should I bother? About how long are these?

red13th

I'm so mad my old PC which had my DAO save file died. Now I can't upload it to DA2. :(
I want to see Alistair, he was my waifu in DAO. :/

Patryn

GuitarAtomik said:
Damn. Now I'm thinking I should play Awakening & Witch Hunt real quick before DA2. As someone who
sacrificed myself
at the end of DA:O and already watched the end of Witch Hunt on youtube, should I bother? About how long are these?

Awakening is worthwhile, since it's an actual expansion pack, and at least some of the characters are confirmed to show up in DA2. Just be aware: It is buggy as FUCK. And some of the epilogues will likely be contradicted by DA2.

Should take between 8-15 hours depending on how much you do (I just played through it, and having remembered a lot of it and doing about 80 percent of the optional stuff, it took me 11 hours).

Witch Hunt: Only if you played a male Warden who romanced Morrigan and accepted her offer. The NPCs you gain are pretty damn good, actually (better than a couple of the Awakening NPCs, IMO), but the challenge is non-existent, and there's very little "core" story. But, as I said, if you romanced Morrigan, it does a decent job tying that story up. If you watched the ending, you should be OK, probably, but there are several radically different endings to it.

Witch Hunt'll probably take you between 30 and 90 minutes to complete. (Personal completion time was ~67 minutes).

If you enjoyed the combat, and you like a challenge, I'd also recommend Golems of Amgarrack, which has probably the two most difficult battles in the series thus far (the end boss of the DLC and then an optional battle against 4 elite boss golems and 2 lieutenant boss golems at the same time). Just don't really expect a story, because there practically isn't one.

Golems should take between 45 and 120 minutes (Personal completion time was ~78 minutes).

kitzkozan

D6AMIA6N said:
Damn, really? I like the settings, charcters, etc., but as a current gen game, the original one just failed to impress me on any level, sound, design, graphically. I admit though, that I likely did not give the game a fair shot, as I was so into ME2 at the time.

EDIT: An I honestly do appreciate the feedback, I buy too many games as it is.

Dragon age 2 is much more console friendly,so there's a good chance that you will like it.

Console UI,movement is far less point and click,combat can be without auto-attack,etc.

koji

X-Frame said:
Face codes better be in the full game. I always suck at making custom characters.

I want a FemHawke that looks like Olivia Wilde.

Evelyn Shepard player reporting for duty!

Superfrog

If anyone is interested in the DA2 strategy guide: The official guide will be released as hardcover Collector's Edition (292 pages; including an extra 16-page bonus section) and Standard Edition (276 pages).

v3ipi0.jpg

Songbird

Prodigal Son
The collector editions of strategy guides look great and all, but do they still try to sell them for £15 when we have wikis online? The last one I ever got was one for Oblivion five years ago, it was monstrously big too.

KJTB

Strategy guides seem a little outdated nowadays, what with free online guides on the internet and all.

I do fondly remember back in the day when I had a strategy guide for my pokemon blue version that had all the evolution chains and stuff... ahhh, good times :D

D6AMIA6N said:

The graphics for the first game were pretty terrible for consoles, yeah.

After playing the demo I feel as though the game is much more geared for console players than the first one, however I don't know if it will be worth the purchase in your case.

Najaf

Dipindots said:
Strategy guides seem a little outdated nowadays, what with free online guides on the internet and all.

I do fondly remember back in the day when I had a strategy guide for my pokemon blue version that had all the evolution chains and stuff... ahhh, good times :D

And the fact that printed guides can't be updated and fixed of errors. I looked through the DA:O guide and it was full of half truths and misunderstandings of the game mechanics. That is to be expected as it only credited one guy for writing it.

KJTB

Najaf said:
And the fact that printed guides can't be updated and fixed of errors. I looked through the DA:O guide and it was full of half truths and misunderstandings of the game mechanics. That is to be expected as it only credited one guy for writing it.

I didn't even think about that but yeah that's another glaring issue with printed guides now.

Do they even make that much money?

Hixx

Official Guides are nice because they're pretty and have a lot of info day 1. But a week after a RPG launches some (lovely) nutter will have a huge guide up on GameFAQs usually.

Patryn said:
Awakening is worthwhile, since it's an actual expansion pack, and at least some of the characters are confirmed to show up in DA2. Just be aware: It is buggy as FUCK. And some of the epilogues will likely be contradicted by DA2.

Should take between 8-15 hours depending on how much you do (I just played through it, and having remembered a lot of it and doing about 80 percent of the optional stuff, it took me 11 hours).

Witch Hunt: Only if you played a male Warden who romanced Morrigan and accepted her offer. The NPCs you gain are pretty damn good, actually (better than a couple of the Awakening NPCs, IMO), but the challenge is non-existent, and there's very little "core" story. But, as I said, if you romanced Morrigan, it does a decent job tying that story up. If you watched the ending, you should be OK, probably, but there are several radically different endings to it.

Witch Hunt'll probably take you between 30 and 90 minutes to complete. (Personal completion time was ~67 minutes).

If you enjoyed the combat, and you like a challenge, I'd also recommend Golems of Amgarrack, which has probably the two most difficult battles in the series thus far (the end boss of the DLC and then an optional battle against 4 elite boss golems and 2 lieutenant boss golems at the same time). Just don't really expect a story, because there practically isn't one.

Golems should take between 45 and 120 minutes (Personal completion time was ~78 minutes).

Cool thanks!

Superfrog

Dipindots said:

Sure, there are alternatives to strategy guides nowadays. Keep in mind though that quality differs hugely between the different guide-developing companies. If you get a high-quality one, you also get an artbook and a lot more than a simple walkthrough (such as underlying game mechanics/values/systems that can only be provided directly by the game developer, story recaps, behind the scenes stuff etc), let alone the higher editorial quality. To sum it up: Well made guide books are collector's items.

Dice

I'm going crazy waiting, so I started actually playing Jade Empire. It had an extremely boring first 3 hours, but now things have gotten cool.

I avoid guides but I would love a premium game manual with the detailed backstory and character bios, tons of art and in-depth descriptions of spells and items and detailed explanations of all the game mechanics. My problem with guides is, I don't want a step by step walk through of the actual game.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Dice said:
I'm going crazy waiting, so I started actually playing Jade Empire. It had an extremely boring first 3 hours, but now things have gotten cool.
You know, I think I will too. Should ease the pain from giving up on DA nightmare.

Dice said:
FYI for some reason I had to turn FMVs on in the ini file. I know they're shitty old school FMVs but they're essential to the story, so I don't know why they were turned off.
Oh they all show for me but if you've missed ones you haven't seen, the Bink video files are in the installation folders.

Dice

Thnikkaman said:
You know, I think I will too. Should ease the pain from giving up on DA nightmare.
FYI for some reason I had to turn FMVs on in the ini file. I know they're shitty old school FMVs but they're essential to the story, so I don't know why they were turned off.

Edit: Also change "ClampFPS=1" to 0 if you are bothered by the 30fps lock. A Bioware programmer said they locked it because it was causing problems, but someone else on the forums said they played it in 60fps with no trouble.

I turned them on after Master Li chopped a boat in two and I didn't see it. I don't think I missed anything important.

I just realized I ordered the Signature Edition a while back. I assumed I must have got something different since it's insane for a "collector's edition" to be going for $250 when it comes with nothing but digital extras. Why the hell is it going for so much?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
GuitarAtomik said:
I just realized I ordered the Signature Edition a while back. I assumed I must have got something different since it's insane for a "collector's edition" to be going for $250 when it comes with nothing but digital extras. Why the hell is it going for so much?
We can't get it anymore. Anyone who hasn't pre-ordered it before late-January has to pay ten bucks for Sabastian Vael(?) like with Shale, except she came in all new editions. Plus I think it's just collector's appeal that it's going for 250. I'm still the highest bidder on two PC versions with a few days to go. Hopefully I'll get them for less than retail.

jackdoe

Thnikkaman said:
We can't get it anymore. Anyone who hasn't pre-ordered it before late-January has to pay ten bucks for Sabastian Vael(?) like with Shale, except she came in all new editions.
The content itself is worth $20 which doesn't justify the price gouging OR the dumbasses who actually pay those outrageous fees. It boggles the mind.

Patryn

Thnikkaman said:
We can't get it anymore. Anyone who hasn't pre-ordered it before late-January has to pay ten bucks for Sabastian Vael(?) like with Shale, except she came in all new editions.

I think you also get a soundtrack.

Oh, and the box is different.

But the price is because this will probably be a TRUE limited edition.

I have a signature edition preordered but don't want it. Does anybody in Canada want it? I ordered from Ebgames.ca, so I can change the shipping address.

OXM dropped a 9.0 on it.

Some info from it:

"Crazy-hefty 40-plus hour RPG experience with loads of choices and branching paths to tackle.

Great characters and fan-service nods for attentive Origins nerds.

Recycled dungeons aplenty make for annoying deja vu; slow start; tweaks may irk series purists.

Why are nearly all humans English, dwarves American, and elves Irish?"

9.0 Rating

Kinspiracy said:
OXM dropped a 9.0 on it.

Some info from it:

"Crazy-hefty 40-plus hour RPG experience with loads of choices and branching paths to tackle.

Great characters and fan-service nods for attentive Origins nerds.

Recycled dungeons aplenty make for annoying deja vu; slow start; tweaks may irk series purists.

Why are nearly all humans English, dwarves American, and elves Irish?"

9.0 Rating

They complained about the recycled dungeons comparing them to "prettier versions of the planet-based side quests in the first Mass Effect" and then said "It's a tradeoff we're willing to accept in exchange for DAII's significantly glammed up good looks and more colorful palette."

Dice

HadesGigas said:
They complained about the recycled dungeons comparing them to "prettier versions of the planet-based side quests in the first Mass Effect" and then said "It's a tradeoff we're willing to accept in exchance for DAII's significantly glammed up good looks and more colorful palette."
Oh shit.

Bioware has never been one for amazing level design, but if you're making the gameplay more actiony/simple you need to make a special effort.

jackdoe

HadesGigas said:
They complained about the recycled dungeons comparing them to "prettier versions of the planet-based side quests in the first Mass Effect" and then said "It's a tradeoff we're willing to accept in exchange for DAII's significantly glammed up good looks and more colorful palette."
Oh god. Repeat of linear city?

Gvaz

Banned
Kinspiracy said:
HadesGigas said:

Wow, these are both points against it rather than points for it.

Also "glammed up looks" is also a point against it.

jackdoe

Gvaz said:
Wow, these are both points against it rather than points for it.

Also "glammed up looks" is also a point against it.
Exactly. How can anyone consider a repeat of Mass Effect's copy and paste sidequest design a fair trade off for some better graphics?

The only thing that matters is it received a 9! The finest example of a shit mountain to date! All shit mountains pale in comparison to this finely crafted blob of feces, you can practically smell the corn!

Top Bottom