• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

HadesGigas said:
They complained about the recycled dungeons comparing them to "prettier versions of the planet-based side quests in the first Mass Effect" and then said "It's a tradeoff we're willing to accept in exchange for DAII's significantly glammed up good looks and more colorful palette."

1) Worst Trade-off ever, even if the game was pleasant to look at.

2) Graphically: It only looks better relative to DAO on consoles, which was just pure muck.

3) Artistically: *pukes*

Patryn

I can get over sidequests using recycled dungeons (I don't like it, but I can handle it), but if the main dungeons are the same thing over and over again, that's a big minus in my book.

Patryn said:
I can get over sidequests using recycled dungeons (I don't like it, but I can handle it), but if the main dungeons are the same thing over and over again, that's a big minus in my book.

I doubt they'd do that.

Gvaz

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
Can't wait for the 9s and 10s to start rolling in.

The rage will be immense, and the trying will never be harder.

Most reviews are paid off or padded with cash, so I find reviews are more helpful for saying what kind of content is or isn't in the game, rather than the rating itself.

I can rate it myself when I have the game in hand.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hi hi hi. This could be really old to people here, but gibbed has offered his file on SA to unlock the journal, map and inventory in the demo. Post and file.

"Extract this to My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age 2 Demo\"

Also! Chargen and difficulty selection! Post and file.

"It enables the appearance customization and other junk in the character generation screen. Note: to customize appearance, slide the preset slider over a few times (you can't customize the default faces for some reason).

I also think I fixed the crash issue I mentioned earlier.

Edit: another note, it also enables the difficulty selection after you complete character generation, nightmare demo anyone?"

Edit2 Electric Boogaloo: DA2 cameo spoiler! Isn't he dashing?

Kritz

Banned
You know, maybe Crysis 2 had some part in this, but I've played through the Dragon Age II PC demo twice, and by the second time I was kind of getting into it.

Sure, the game has been defiled and is now a revolting clump of Mass Effect 2. Mouse movement is fucked, leading WASD to be the only real manageable way of moving your guy around. The conversation wheel has devolved to the point where any essence of subtle dialog is gone, replaced with "YO YOU WANNA BE PEACEFUL, SARCASTIC OR AGGRESSIVE?", which is pretty fucking embarrasing and seems to be targeted at people who don't have half a mind between them to read the seven or so choices that were present in the previous game.

But beyond all that, even past the simplification of the combat and subpar graphics, the broken tits renderer that can only show tits in "huge" or "moterboatalicious" styles, the "we hope you've got some linkin park queued up" art style and the janky ass cutscene animations that barely hold canon to what you were doing not 10 seconds before it started... the everything else, as well.

EVEN THROUGH ALL THAT,

I kinda feel like... this game is still kinda fun. Dumb fun. The kind of fun that should maybe have a +10 appear each time you kill an enemy, and a loud rock solo each time you level up, and a 14 year old kid assuming things about your race or sexual preference each time you make conversation. But, like, it's fun all the same. I guess.

I guess it's fun.

RPGCrazied

Wow, already DLC's announced and the game isn't even out yet. Why can't they put some of those into the game? Isn't $60 enough money?

Vamphuntr

Also the OXM review is saying that most of the game takes place in Kirkwall. There is no sense of exploration like DAO. They explained that the sidequests often take place in the same palette swapped areas all over again.

Moofers

RPGCrazied said:
Wow, already DLC's announced and the game isn't even out yet. Why can't they put some of those into the game? Isn't $60 enough money?

What DLC is announced other than the stuff you get for free if you buy the game?

Vamphuntr

Moofers said:
What DLC is announced other than the stuff you get for free if you buy the game?

You only get the DLC character if you preordered the signature edition. The vanilla edition doesn't come with it and you need to pay 7$ to get it.

Moofers

Exiled Prince is free if you pre-ordered the signature edition.

*edit*
Yeah, what you said, Vamp. Annoying for those who didn't pre-order in time, but I remember seeing stories all over the blogs back in January that read something like "Only a week left to pre-order DA2 signature edition!", etc. Glad I took care of that.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Reluctant-Hero said:
Link comes up as a 403 Forbidden for me...
It works for me, but I'm logged into the Something Awful forums and that is Waffle Images as the host.

The characters are
Mutant Zevran and Chantry Leliana

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Reluctant-Hero said:
All of this has happened before. And all of this will happen again. This is truly the new shit.

Link comes up as a 403 Forbidden for me...
Press enter on your URL bar.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Kritz said:
You know, maybe Crysis 2 had some part in this, but I've played through the Dragon Age II PC demo twice, and by the second time I was kind of getting into it.

Sure, the game has been defiled and is now a revolting clump of Mass Effect 2. Mouse movement is fucked, leading WASD to be the only real manageable way of moving your guy around. The conversation wheel has devolved to the point where any essence of subtle dialog is gone, replaced with "YO YOU WANNA BE PEACEFUL, SARCASTIC OR AGGRESSIVE?", which is pretty fucking embarrasing and seems to be targeted at people who don't have half a mind between them to read the seven or so choices that were present in the previous game.

But beyond all that, even past the simplification of the combat and subpar graphics, the broken tits renderer that can only show tits in "huge" or "moterboatalicious" styles, the "we hope you've got some linkin park queued up" art style and the janky ass cutscene animations that barely hold canon to what you were doing not 10 seconds before it started... the everything else, as well.

EVEN THROUGH ALL THAT,

I kinda feel like... this game is still kinda fun. Dumb fun. The kind of fun that should maybe have a +10 appear each time you kill an enemy, and a loud rock solo each time you level up, and a 14 year old kid assuming things about your race or sexual preference each time you make conversation. But, like, it's fun all the same. I guess.

I guess it's fun.

Don't worry about feeling dirty. You can recognize what you recognize and still derive enjoyment from it, and there's nothing wrong with that. I watch Bay and Boll along with my Tarkovsky and Kobayashi.

Just, if you do recognize these things and appreciate when a game does strive for nuance and depth of characterization and more complex world simulation, support the games bringing those experiences to the market as well.

Squire

Banned
Not as info heavy as the Mass Effect 2 redux thread, but fairly amusing. Also like the embellishing on the Metacritic score :)

P90

RPGCrazied said:

That is one reason I canceled my preorder. I'll wait until they put the game and all DLC in one package for a reasonable price.

Rufus

P90 said:
That is one reason I canceled my preorder. I'll wait until they put the game and all DLC in one package for a reasonable price.
I wonder if publishers ever considered that all these incentives cheapen the then comparably anaemic standard editions in the eyes of the consumer too much...

Kritz

Banned
EviLore said:
Don't worry about feeling dirty. You can recognize what you recognize and still derive enjoyment from it, and there's nothing wrong with that. I watch Bay and Boll along with my Tarkovsky and Kobayashi.

Just, if you do recognize these things and appreciate when a game does strive for nuance and depth of characterization and more complex world simulation, support the games bringing those experiences to the market as well.

:< so, yes, I still feel horrible for not preordering Witcher 2 yet.

Thnikkaman said:
Seriously though,
...Zevran...
looks like a mutant in the shot. Not even the same face.
With any luck...
Zevran won't be surviving my current DAO playthrough if he decides to betray me at the appropriate time. I'm not putting any work/gifts into raising his approval either.

Patryn

Thnikkaman said:
Hi hi hi. This could be really old to people here, but gibbed has offered his file on SA to unlock the journal, map and inventory in the demo. Post and file.

"Extract this to My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age 2 Demo\"

Also! Chargen and difficulty selection! Post and file.

"It enables the appearance customization and other junk in the character generation screen. Note: to customize appearance, slide the preset slider over a few times (you can't customize the default faces for some reason).

I also think I fixed the crash issue I mentioned earlier.

Edit: another note, it also enables the difficulty selection after you complete character generation, nightmare demo anyone?"

Edit2 Electric Boogaloo: DA2 cameo spoiler! Isn't he dashing?

Wow! It's almost like I'm reading a few pages back!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Gibbed's save import thingie works. Here's mine - ending spoilers!
Some parts are incorrect though,
Connor is alive in my playthrough and Allistair killed Loghain.

Patryn said:
Wow! It's almost like I'm reading a few pages back!
Except a link to the files was not provided here.

Ed: Oh fuck, you were right.

Gvaz

Banned
Thnikkaman said:

Except a link to the files was not provided here.

Ed: Oh fuck, you were right.

The save editor was later put into the OP after someone posted it after I brought it up. So you're a little late yeah :)

Also the import is really buggy with the details, probably because this was not intended to do so. If it's still like this on retail then I'm sure they'll do something or modders will make a save editor.

edit: the op of the other thread, sorry.

Thnikkaman said:
I think all the DA:O save states will be wrong in one way or another as the DA2 demo was not meant to import the saves. Or at least that's what BioWare is saying on the official forums.

I'm working on my "master save" for DA2 right now. I'll be livid if my save imports are still reading incorrectly on Tuesday.

I need to finish up Origins and play through both Awakenings & Witch Hunt by Tuesday. I'll be poop socking them for sure until I'm done.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
RTrN0.png

I didn't think the Hawke family's hairstyles would change too.

bluedeviltron said:
Can't wait for the 9s and 10s to start rolling in.

The rage will be immense, and the trying will never be harder.
Step your game up man. You're a big fan of this game and disagree with those who say the game looks disappointing, we get it. At least troll with something better than "try hard" and review score predictions!

Kritz said:

EVEN THROUGH ALL THAT,

I guess it's fun.

That's pretty much how I feel, maybe with a little less emotion and a little more optimism but yeah. I'm disappointed in many aspects but taken for what it is, I believe I will have fun.

f0rk

Kritz said:

I guess it's fun.

I definitely see where you're coming from, in fact I sort of wish if they wanted to simplify the game they should of gone even further in the "one button = super cool move" direction. The demo felt halfway between DA:O (which I didn't love but put some time into) and a full on action game.

Xilium

Thnikkaman said:
I didn't think the Hawke family's hairstyles would change too.

Yeah, I played a black character (buzz cut) and they totally gave Bethany a full blown weave. The fact that their body tone doesn't match their face aside, the family really doesn't look good as dark skin characters though, especial Carver.

Zzoram

I don't understand why the Dragon Age franchise gets the ugliest character models of a modern RPG when the same developer has Mass Effect under the same roof, with significantly better character models.

Fredescu

Zzoram said:
I don't understand why the Dragon Age franchise gets the ugliest character models of a modern RPG
From the little we've seen of Dragon Age 2, the faces at least are a significant improvment on the first. Both games are leagues ahead of Bethesda games. I admit I don't pay much attention to bodies or animation and such like, so you could be right I guess.

I agree, I thought the faces and cutscene animations were a significant step up over the original. The armor and background textures on the other hand, several steps back.

Just completed my master save file for DA2. Origins was 40 hours, Awakening was 10, Golems and WH were 1 hour each.

I really hope that there are noteworthy cameos as well as strong references to past decisions. Mass Effect 2 was a big let down in this regard so I really shouldn't expect much but I can't help but think of the awesome possibilities.

Zzoram

Fredescu said:
From the little we've seen of Dragon Age 2, the faces at least are a significant improvment on the first. Both games are leagues ahead of Bethesda games. I admit I don't pay much attention to bodies or animation and such like, so you could be right I guess.

Bethesda faces are worse but the textures on their clothes/armor are better.

Wiggum2007

So what's with the paint smear on Hawke's face? Is he wearing it the whole ten years? Does he wash his face at any point during that time?

Neki

ProtoCents said:
Just completed my master save file for DA2. Origins was 40 hours, Awakening was 10, Golems and WH were 1 hour each.

I really hope that there are noteworthy cameos as well as strong references to past decisions. Mass Effect 2 was a big let down in this regard so I really shouldn't expect much but I can't help but think of the awesome possibilities.

wtf you got
garrus
back for the second one, how is that not a strong cameo? he rocks, you're crazy.

jackdoe

Zzoram said:
I don't understand why the Dragon Age franchise gets the ugliest character models of a modern RPG when the same developer has Mass Effect under the same roof, with significantly better character models.
I disagree. Mass Effect has terrible character models for anyone who isn't a main character, and even some of the main characters look odd as fuck (Jack). That's because Bioware opts to use their shitty character creators to generate NPCs. They've improved the creator with DA2 so the game's NPCs don't look as bad, but obviously you won't get the same result as traditional modeling. That's why Oblivion NPCs look so bad as well.

Top Bottom