• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Felix Lighter said:
I agree, I thought the faces and cutscene animations were a significant step up over the original. The armor and background textures on the other hand, several steps back.
If the small pics I saw were to be trusted, Very High textures actually makes the armor look decent.

Ultimoo said:
wtf you got
garrus
back for the second one, how is that not a strong cameo? he rocks, you're crazy.

Er sorry. I meant in regards to consequences from the previous game. I hope for strong cameos... I also hope for interesting consequences unlike Mass Effect 2.

jackdoe

ProtoCents said:
Er sorry. I meant in regards to consequences from the previous game. I hope for strong cameos... I also hope for interesting consequences unlike Mass Effect 2.
Heh. We'll get an information terminal and get letters from people that an unrelated character from Dragon Age Origins helped.

JayDubya

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Gibbed's save import thingie works. Here's mine - ending spoilers!
Some parts are incorrect though,
Connor is alive in my playthrough and Allistair killed Loghain.

It's gotta be more than some parts, because it says three completely incompatible things.

1) Alistair is king.
2) Alistair sacrificed himself.
3) Loghain is a Grey Warden.

If any of these are true, the others are not true.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Interesting, I actually managed to make an decent looking male character. It seems eyebrows can't be too light in shade but tattoos can make up for that.

JayDubya said:
It's gotta be more than some parts, because it says three completely incompatible things.

1) Alistair is king.

Seems all out of whack, but it's probably just demo confusion. If it's another Conrad Verner then...

antonz said:
I see what you did there you sly son of a..
Uh, I don't know what I did. :| Didn't base him off anyone in particular, just wanted a gray/blond haired character.

jackdoe

Thnikkaman said:
Seems all out of whack, but it's probably just demo confusion. If it's another Conrad Verner then...
I still don't understand why Bioware has yet to fix the bug. Did they explain?

Redsand26

Neo Member
I just recently played the demo and noticed a huge difference in the mage animations from DA:O. I better get to practicing my fireball.

jackdoe said:
I disagree. Mass Effect has terrible character models for anyone who isn't a main character, and even some of the main characters look odd as fuck (Jack). That's because Bioware opts to use their shitty character creators to generate NPCs. They've improved the creator with DA2 so the game's NPCs don't look as bad, but obviously you won't get the same result as traditional modeling. That's why Oblivion NPCs look so bad as well.

Couldn't disagree more.

jackdoe

Kinspiracy said:
Couldn't disagree more.
And you're fine to. I still maintain that the NPCs look like shit. But just to get a frame of reference, which NPCs do you think are well designed in ME (obviously not counting your party members as they weren't designed using the character maker)?

gdt

The Amazon page doesn't seem all that current, so what exactly do I get with my preorder of The Signature Edition (before Jan, $60)?

Lothars

gdt5016 said:
The Amazon page doesn't seem all that current, so what exactly do I get with my preorder of The Signature Edition (before Jan, $60)?

The Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition

Pre-order Dragon Age II before January 11, 2011 and receive an automatic upgrade to the BioWare Signature Edition - a special, collector's edition version of the game that contains loads of additional content, exclusives, and other perks. This special edition version of Dragon Age II is only available for pre-order before January 11, so pre-order now. The full BioWare Signature Edition contents include:
Contents of the in Dragon Age II: BioWare Signature Edition
View larger.

* A full copy of Dragon Age II for PC
* A download code for a bonus character and missions
* A downloadable game soundtrack
* An exclusive in-game digital armory featuring multiple weapons
* Additional downloadable items

Lothars said:
The Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition

Pre-order Dragon Age II before January 11, 2011 and receive an automatic upgrade to the BioWare Signature Edition - a special, collector's edition version of the game that contains loads of additional content, exclusives, and other perks. This special edition version of Dragon Age II is only available for pre-order before January 11, so pre-order now. The full BioWare Signature Edition contents include:
Contents of the in Dragon Age II: BioWare Signature Edition
View larger.

* A full copy of Dragon Age II for PC
* A download code for a bonus character and missions
* A downloadable game soundtrack
* An exclusive in-game digital armory featuring multiple weapons
* Additional downloadable items

Ordering through Amazon also gets you:
Amazon.com said:
Reserve your copy of Dragon Age 2 and receive the in-game Fadeshear Sword and the Lion of Orlais Shield. The sword provides additional damage vs. demons and undead, and the shield provides 2 added rune slots, adds to your health, and improves XP gain. A code to access the bonus content will be e-mailed within two days after your order ships. Existing pre-orders of Bioware Signature Edition will automatically qualify for this offer.
And all new copies, either standard or signature edition I believe, will get:
Amazon.com said:
Online Game Pass Bonus Content

All new versions of this game come with an "Online Game Pass" which provides exclusive access to the Black Emporium, which includes:

The Fighting Mabari War Hound
The Mirror of Transformation
Exclusive magic and crafting stores

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Ugh, as much as I like to hate on this game I'm actually very tempted to get this at launch on Steam and pay the ten quid for Sebastian Vael. Will I lose my GAf cred?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Thnikkaman said:
Ugh, as much as I like to hate on this game I'm actually very tempted to get this at launch on Steam and pay the ten quid for Sebastian Vael. Will I lose my GAf cred?
Not really, but I recommend you wait a month because EA drops games from 60$ to 40$ in that amount of time (they just did this with Dead Space 2). I plan on picking up the DLC too so I'm waiting for the 40$ price point.

kai3345

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
With as much shit as ive talked about this game, I also have it pre ordered.

Im probably not gonna get the DLC though.

JayDubya said:

1) Alistair is king.

Actually 1 and 3 can happen at the same time. It's tough to pull off but it can be done.

kai3345 said:

If you have hardened Alistair, and convinced him to marry Anora, he will be bitchy as all hell, and still leave the party if you make Loghain a Grey Warden, but he will still marry Anora and become king. It requires you telling him that everyone is out for themselves when you have the sidequest with his sister, and once once your friendship is high enough, confirming that fact. Basically he leaves, becomes king, and likely bugs the epilogue a little bit, but that's how you do it. I did this myself on my second playthrough

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Stallion Free said:
Not really, but I recommend you wait a month because EA drops games from 60$ to 40$ in that amount of time (they just did this with Dead Space 2). I plan on picking up the DLC too so I'm waiting for the 40$ price point.
You have a point. I even have a completed save on PS3, so renting it for a few days might be a good idea.

Mr_Zombie said:
One thing I don't understand is why doesn't BioWare use profiles from BioWare Social in order to import saves in DA2? If you've uploaded your character there it should be uploaded with all important story flags (hence it is possible to track character's story progress through the site) and achievments. It would at least solve all those problems with people losing saves or changing the platform they will play the sequel on.
The Social Network could host epilogue games, sure, but I think the large amount of mods on PC limits cross-console use.

Mr_Zombie

One thing I don't understand is why doesn't BioWare use profiles from BioWare Social in order to import saves in DA2? If you've uploaded your character there it should be uploaded with all important story flags (hence it is possible to track character's story progress through the site) and achievments. It would at least solve all those problems with people losing saves or changing the platform they will play the sequel on.

Mr_Zombie said:

Bioware Social is glitchy as fuck. Half the people would be importing incomplete things.

Mr_Zombie

HadesGigas said:
Bioware Social is glitchy as fuck. Half the people would be importing incomplete things.
I dunno, I've never had a problem with it. And I also think that even an incomplete thing is better than nothing (in case you don't have your previous saves).

Mr_Zombie said:
I dunno, I've never had a problem with it. And I also think that even an incomplete thing is better than nothing (in case you don't have your previous saves).

My profile kept uploading with no picture of my character and his gear. Then I finally got that to work and now I have no quest log thing. So yeah, it'd be totally useless if I could import that.

Would make sense as an option, but really it would probably be a mess for them to get working right.

Mr_Zombie said:

At one time BioWare was saying that you could import a DAO save state from any platform into any other platform's DA2. But that was last year and they don't even talk about that feature now. It must have used the social network also and they realized that it was glitchy as hell as well.

Moofers

GuitarAtomik said:
I just realized I ordered the Signature Edition a while back. I assumed I must have got something different since it's insane for a "collector's edition" to be going for $250 when it comes with nothing but digital extras. Why the hell is it going for so much?

Where is it going for $250? I just checked Ebay and nobody is biting on the $100+ BuyItNows out there.

Mr_Zombie said:

If you don't have that then play DA:O again like the rest of us, back-up saves somewhere, or whine to EA for cloud saving. I like the system that worked in ME2, and will be in DA2: pick a directory ---> choose a save file ---> done. Plus, you're able to share save files (and different story progress) this way.

I know, best thing would be to have it both ways, but considering developers nowadays are retarded they would only settle for one of the above methods, and I don't want crap Bioware Social.

ProtoCents said:
I really hope that there are noteworthy cameos as well as strong references to past decisions. Mass Effect 2 was a big let down in this regard so I really shouldn't expect much but I can't help but think of the awesome possibilities.

There won't be, developers always mention it and never follow up, the reason is simple: attracting new people to the franchise. You will not tell them "hey, buy the first game, it's $10 now, finish it, you will have so much more fun with our new game!". That takes time, DA2 can be at lower price point later + competition from other games. Instead the developer will say "don't worry, if you didn't play the first game, you will get crap 10 minutes intro with most important events, unlike those suckers that slaved for 40 hours playing it!". It's always the same mantra like retarded monkeys: accessibility, enjoyment, streamlined, simplified, able to be enjoyed by new players, bla bla bla.

Thnikkaman said:

Nothing wrong with buying a game you'll enjoy Day One. I've already preordered it myself.

In before the wait 12-18 months and buy the Ultimate Edition for $30!!!!! Crowd.

Mr_Zombie

Castor Krieg said:
If you don't have that then play DA:O again like the rest of us, back-up saves somewhere, or whine to EA for cloud saving. I like the system that worked in ME2, and will be in DA2: pick a directory ---> choose a save file ---> done. Plus, you're able to share save files (and different story progress) this way.

Fortunately I have my main save ;)

I'm just wondering why haven't they used that idea. Importing the character from BioWare Social should be easy as hell; all those important story points are stored there as some kind of flags (Alister became a king: yes/no, you did the ritual: yes/no, Connor died: yes/no etc) anyway, so why not use them as an additional option?

I'm especially mad that they haven't used the site for Mass Effect 2, because importing your Shepard and story into ME3 will be much more important than importing DA:O saves in DA2. And how many people chose to play ME2 on specific platform just because of the save import feature? With a web based character importer/exporter such things would be meaningless.

IMO the whole BioWare Social has potential but is really underused (not to mention, sometimes it takes even few hours for the character's profile to update).

I did not do any of that Social Network stuff, but i do have all of my DA:O saves on my 360. Will they simply transfer over like they did in Mass Effect?

Patryn

Gillian Seed said:
I did not do any of that Social Network stuff, but i do have all of my DA:O saves on my 360. Will they simply transfer over like they did in Mass Effect?

They will transfer over. But it's not exactly like Mass Effect, in that you'll be playing a completely different character.

Patryn said:
They will transfer over. But it's not exactly like Mass Effect, in that you'll be playing a completely different character.

Ok i knew that part. Glad to hear that the decisions will transfer over. Thanks

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rivers said:
looks like its been leaked for 360 :)

Why the smiley? You want the game to be pirated?

Anyway, of course a copy of the disc will have been uploaded to the usual places by now. Once the game starts being shipped to retail locations, at least one copy is bound to find its way into the hands of some person who is willing to rip the disc and upload it to the net.

Gvaz

Banned
Not to derail, but I like how people blame pc gaming for piracy, when it's consoles that are easier in the long run to pirate for.

Anyways, spring break is coming up for me, I wish the game would come out so I could play it :(

Stallion Free said:
If the small pics I saw were to be trusted, Very High textures actually makes the armor look decent.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Graphically, I'm cool with everything else. Maybe not a showcase title but good enough.

jackdoe said:
And you're fine to. I still maintain that the NPCs look like shit. But just to get a frame of reference, which NPCs do you think are well designed in ME (obviously not counting your party members as they weren't designed using the character maker)?

Joker, the women that worked for the Consort, the AI just to name a few.

i was on the hate bandwagon too...

then i played the demo. now i'm definitely getting this game, but still have a cautious hype level.

Top Bottom