• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

After playing the demo I'm skeptical, but I'll rent the game on the 360 and if it ends up being an enjoyable experience I'll buy the PC version when it drops in price.

Moofers

jackdoe said:
And you're fine to. I still maintain that the NPCs look like shit. But just to get a frame of reference, which NPCs do you think are well designed in ME (obviously not counting your party members as they weren't designed using the character maker)?

1222_Mass_Effect_2_540x303aria_jpg-610x0.jpg

tumblr_l3r5nrB1zv1qbzf0vo1_500.jpg

And that's just two quick ones off the top of my head. There are plenty of good looking NPCs in ME2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rivers said:
looks like its been leaked for 360 :)

Just FYI, it's not bannable to say what you're saying, but for future reference we don't allow piracy talk/bragging here. If your post were to have ended with "I'm downloading now", you'd have been banned. So if you do happen to be the kind of person who pirates their games, just know that you're not welcome to do so openly here.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm thinking about biting on a 19£ Dragon age ultimate edition deal. I'm not that much of a huuuge fan of fantasy-rpgs ( but I dare say I would enjoy a good one ), and I've heard that the customization part of DO1 is very "shallow" , in the sense that there aren't many builds or loot or stuff like that.

Should I still go for it? I'm out of games atm, Bullestorm came and went by quickly and crysis 2 is looking worse for each day, so I need something to fill the void.

Corky said:
I'm thinking about biting on a 19£ Dragon age ultimate edition deal. I'm not that much of a huuuge fan of fantasy-rpgs ( but I dare say I would enjoy a good one ), and I've heard that the customization part of DO1 is very "shallow" , in the sense that there aren't many builds or loot or stuff like that.

Should I still go for it? I'm out of games atm, Bullestorm came and went by quickly and crysis 2 is looking worse for each day, so I need something to fill the void.
It really depends on what you are looking for. Ultimate edition is a lot of game for you buck, you can probably spend 60-70 hours if you do everything, maybe even more. But you have to like that kind of a game as well to spend so much time with it. The loot in the game is pretty minimal. What are you looking for when you say customization?

Edit: The witcher would be a nice alternative for a shorter more action oriented RPG. It also has a more unique, interesting story and characters compared to DA:O

theDeeDubs

As someone who loved and plat'd the first game, if the demo is indicative of the final product, I think I'll enjoy DA2 even more. I'm all for removing action-jank from rpgs. ME2, to me, was also a huge improvement over ME1. The gameplay of ME2 actually stood up well against Gears and others in the TPS genre at Nightmare difficulties. I like where Bioware is taking the genre and I say that as someone who played games like Baldur's Gate 1 and Planescape Torment when they were first released.

Also, Best Mage Ever. I'm so tired of the Gandalf mage. Seeing the staff be used more like a martial weapon instead of a walking stick is great.

dionysus

Yaldog
-Red_Mage- said:
Also, Best Mage Ever. I'm so tired of the Gandalf mage. Seeing the staff be used more like a martial weapon instead of a walking stick is great.

Minor quibble, but Gandalf was all about the close quarters combat, and very physical, even in the books. Gandalf was a frequent sword wielder.

What you should be saying is I am so tired of the D&D mage, who are glass cannons who stay at range.

chris-013

The Nightmare difficulty setting introduces three major differences to
combat:

Attacks cause friendly fire. This cuts both ways, as not only can you
hurt your own companions but enemies can also hurt each other.

Enemies now boast elemental immunities.

Enemy toughness is scaled up. They inflict even more damage on
you and take more to kill. Assassins have a chance to steal potions
from the party and their stealth attacks bypass the victim's armor
completely. Commanders are able to direct their troops at party
members for a concerted attack.

Not sure if I want to play in nightmare for my first run now. :D

chris-013 said:

That is the problem with friendly fire on nightmare only. I like the tactical challenges friendly fire presents but I don't want all the other frustrating aspects that come with nightmare.

Edit:

The interior textures in those new pics actually seem about on par with the original.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
chris-013 said:
It won't be too tough if you truly take you time and for heavens sake... Don't split the party! Plus if enemy rogues having true sneak attacks bothers you like it did with me, remember that an area spell or ability will reveal any in stealth. It works that way in the demo.

jackdoe

Moofers said:
And that's just two quick ones off the top of my head. There are plenty of good looking NPCs in ME2.
Personally, I thought those characters looked bland and unimaginative and that all the human male and female characters outside of the party members looked way too similar to one another.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's nice to see they've actually put effort into designing Nightmare difficulty, beyond just increasing damage and hit point numbers.

TheUsual

Gold Member
As someone who had trouble on Normal difficulty in DAO (DAO was my first "real" WRPG), the Nightmare difficulty in 2 scares me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I wonder why they can't introduce same features on Hard. Elemental resistance sounds cool.

Tempted to buy but Divinity II scratches my RPG itch for now.

jackdoe

But I've gotta say, those DX10 shots have improved my feelings regarding the game. The second Bioware announces mod support, then I'll feel even better about keeping my pre-order (can't wait for someone to make the UI less shitty).

Songbird

Prodigal Son
TheUsual said:
As someone who had trouble on Normal difficulty in DAO (DAO was my first "real" WRPG), the Nightmare difficulty in 2 scares me.
I was really close to saying that playing any RPG like DAO on its hardest difficulty is the best and most satisfying way to go, but if Normal is a challenge won't completing a difficult encounter still be as rewarding?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Thnikkaman said:
I was really close to saying that playing any RPG like DAO on its hardest difficulty is the best and most satisfying way to go, but if Normal is a challenge won't completing a difficult encounter still be as rewarding?
Any difficult encounter was rewarding for me (the dragon on top of the mountain in the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest namely). I didn't feel unrewarded for beating the game on the normal difficulty. I learned alot about the game mechanics and just never went on a full second playthrough to use what I learned.

EDIT
Also, getting use to friendly fire was something for me.

TheUsual said:
Really depends on level scalling. Once you hit a high enough level in DA:O then even nigthmare becomes a joke to such an extend that its easier than playing on normal in the beginning of the game.

Durante

Well, Nightmare difficulty at least sounds like it could make the game worth playing.
Now, if only they had enough trust in their target audience to not lock out difficulty choices in the demo.

causan

Rivers said:
looks like its been leaked for 360 :)

I find it funny for all the talk we get about how piracy is killing PC gaming the first place alot of these pirated games appear are on console.

Regarding New Nightmare Difficulty
Isn't it going to be a problem that all of the magic and skills have been redesigned for area of effect? I mean, unless you play four mages/archers you are going to kick the shit out of any melee you have deployed. I understand the point is to make it more challenging, but to me it seems like it might actually be broken based on the new design.

kai3345

Banned
Replaying DAO to get an importable save as I switched from 360 to the PC master race.

Holy shit I never remembered Brecillian Forest being this hard.

So many optional boss level creatures you can run into if you arent careful.

jackdoe

kai3345 said:
Replaying DAO to get an importable save as I switched from 360 to the PC master race.

Holy shit I never remembered Brecillian Forest being this hard.

? I remember Elite enemies, but I don't remember too many bosses; unless you decided to pick a fight with everything (including the hermit).

kai3345

Banned
jackdoe said:
? I remember Elite enemies, but I don't remember too many bosses; unless you decided to pick a fight with everything (including the hermit).
Theres the hermit, the Revnauts, the Dragonling, the Arcane Horror

But its still my favorite dungeon in the game

kai3345 said:
The revenants and the hermit are the only optional ones and you can't really run into them accidentely either.

Edit: Really the only hard part are the optional bosses and thats because they are optional and you can do them at any point in the game.

kai3345

Banned
Lostconfused said:
The revenants and the hermit are the only optional ones and you can't really run into them accidentely either.

Edit: Really the only hard part are the optional bosses and thats because they are optional and you can do them at any point in the game.
I forgot about the grave thing so I accidentally activated it >_<

Idk, I had to stop because that Arcane Horror was rotflstomping me

kai3345 said:

Mages are always hard. There is a mage's collective side quests that you can do in that forest that puts you against 4 mages. Probably one of the hardest fights in the forest as well.

Gvaz

Banned
kai3345 said:

The arcane horror was pretty bad, if only because it kept teleporting around.

jackdoe

Lostconfused said:
Mages are always hard. There is a mage's collective side quests that you can do in that forest that puts you against 4 mages. Probably one of the hardest fights in the forest as well.
Which is why I had two templars and mana clash.

endaround

Neo Member
SerArthurDayne said:
Regarding New Nightmare Difficulty
Isn't it going to be a problem that all of the magic and skills have been redesigned for area of effect? I mean, unless you play four mages/archers you are going to kick the shit out of any melee you have deployed. I understand the point is to make it more challenging, but to me it seems like it might actually be broken based on the new design.
That's what I think. Because every activated ability seems to have knockdown or knock back and the over all speed your melee characters are going to be running from one side of the room to the other before the spell actually launches.

The combat has changed greatly, not just due to the speed but now facing doesn't matter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Crazypanda_85 said:
I can't wait til Tuesday :) Also, is it me or does the enemies in the first image look like Geth???

OMG, it does, same universe confirmed ('member the Troll statue in the ME2 Kasumi DLC??).

They really do look Geth-y, though.

I like the screenshot with the courtyard area, that doesn't look so bad. It's the first decent environment that I've seen, much better than Brownie Mountain.

Coxswain

Durante said:
Well, Nightmare difficulty at least sounds like it could make the game worth playing.
Now, if only they had enough trust in their target audience to not lock out difficulty choices in the demo.
If you haven't already, go grab gibbed's 'mod' files for the demo (unlocks half-implemented character customization, the inventory, and the difficulty levels). Assuming that the unlockable Nightmare in the demo is representative of the full game (admittedly a pretty big assumption), it's actually really quite well done.

It's a significant step up in difficulty from at least the intro/origin portion of the first game on Nightmare, and it requires that you pay full attention to every character in your party, instead of playing the Mages and just giving general directions to all the others. The long cooldown on healing spells and items means that you really have to put a focus on managing the damage you take, since you can no longer brute force heal your way through stuff, or quaff tons of potions on a negligible cooldown timer. At the same time, though, once you're actively trying to avoid as much damage as you can, you definitely start to appreciate the more fluid character movement control, and you'll really start to notice that some real attention was paid toward giving the player a great deal of options for controlling positioning, both from abilities that move the player quickly and the number of abilities you have that can knock enemies around (which actually dovetails pretty nicely with the way the game throws small hordes of 'fodder' enemies in with the regular-strength ones).

It's definitely a lot more tactical than anything I remember from DAO, that's for sure. Granted I didn't actually finish the first game, but I think I got pretty far (completed all four of the Standard Bioware Midgame quests, plus went around and walloped Flemeth and that other dragon on the mountain) so I feel pretty confident in that assessment, unless DA2's implementation is vastly different from the demo or DAO's unpatched version was really easy compared to how the game ended up.

kai3345

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Yeah I tried that fight too.

Got fuckin raped.

Funny thing is, I've done this dungeon 3 times on the 360 but it was never this difficult lol

gdt

I fiinnnnally got around to playing the demo this morning, and I fucking loved it. Felt soooooooo much better to me than DA:O. I'm trying to finish that up right now, actually.

jackdoe said:
But I've gotta say, those DX10 shots have improved my feelings regarding the game. The second Bioware announces mod support, then I'll feel even better about keeping my pre-order (can't wait for someone to make the UI less shitty).

isn't it generally accepted that it will have mod support? or have they said anything to the contrary?

Stage On

Finally got around to playing the demo which was pretty good in generally but a little borked since I had a dead person showing up in the cut scenes after a certain point rather then the correct character.

Went through it twice while logged into my Bioware account and STILL didn't unlock the item you get for clearing it :(

It didn't feel too much different then the first game for me other then healing being a bit slower so I guess I'll stick with my pre order after all. I really enjoyed Origins last year and this looks to pretty much more of the same which is good enough for me.

Agyar

Stage On said:
Finally got around to playing the demo which was pretty good in generally but a little borked since I had a dead person showing up in the cut scenes after a certain point rather then the correct character.

Went through it twice while logged into my Bioware account and STILL didn't unlock the item you get for clearing it :(

It didn't feel too much different then the first game for me other then healing being a bit slower so I guess I'll stick with my pre order after all. I really enjoyed Origins last year and this looks to pretty much more of the same which is good enough for me.

Where can you check what items you have unlocked? I played it on 360, if that makes any difference.

gdt

Wait, you get an unlock for completing the demo?

I stopped when I got to the city, I was loving it so much. Didn't want more spoiled.

Top Bottom