• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

antonz

shinobi602 said:
Holy shit people are so picky when it comes to graphics...
well you know when people spend 1,000+ upgrading computer parts for DX11 etc they generally like games coming out in the future to take advantage of that hardware.

Neki

antonz said:
well you know when people spend 1,000+ upgrading computer parts for DX11 etc they generally like games coming out in the future to take advantage of that hardware.
is that the consumer's fault or the developer's fault or the producer's fault though?

antonz said:

That's not what I meant, I mean from those pictures on the page before this, people are saying they look "really bad".

I mean, really? That bad? I don't understand what people are expecting...

antonz

Ultimoo said:
is that the consumer's fault or the developer's fault or the producer's fault though?
Honestly its the fault of the developers. If you plan to develop across multiple platforms you need to make sure your development reflects the fact that all platforms are not equal. Thats why Crysis 2 is being torn to shit right now. They are literally just porting the 360 version to PC using Directx9 which is older than Crysis 1 and claiming its a PC version.

Yes the players themselves have to understand the world doesnt revolve around their top of the line machines but the fact that games are being made for those people and dont even offer the option to use that power is the issue

Fredescu said:
One guy said it, and I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm.

I just said the page before this as an example, if you read throughout the whole thread, it's been said numerous times.

Anyway... /shrug

antonz said:
Honestly its the fault of the developers. If you plan to develop across multiple platforms you need to make sure your development reflects the fact that all platforms are not equal. Thats why Crysis 2 is being torn to shit right now. They are literally just porting the 360 version to PC using Directx9 which is older than Crysis 1 and claiming its a PC version.

What about those amazing PC pics we saw not too long ago? They were wayyyy above anything we've seen on the consoles...

I'm sure once DX11 is "patched" into the game, we'll be blown away. No doubt in my mind.

antonz said:
Yes the players themselves have to understand the world doesnt revolve around their top of the line machines but the fact that games are being made for those people and dont even offer the option to use that power is the issue
Isn't that the case with most console ports? Besides, you still have the option to run the game in higher resolutions with a higher framerate.

I played the PS3 demo but I still have my doubts. The framerate has definitely improved but I don't like the revamped combat system at all. Does the game have an auto-attack option?

M°°nblade said:
Isn't that the case with most console ports? Besides, you still have the option to run the game in higher resolutions with a higher framerate.

I played the PS3 demo but I still have my doubts. The framerate has definitely improved but I don't like the revamped combat system at all. Does the game have an auto-attack option?

Yes, you can play DA2 just like DA:O.

Auto attack was disabled in the demo.

Squire

Banned
M°°nblade said:

I just wanna know why taking the lag out of fights is considered "revamping" it.

Things move a bit faster. Now warriors charge at enemies like warriors instead of shuffling up to them like Kirk Douglas coming on stage at the Oscars. Game plays the same as Origins.

jackdoe

shinobi602 said:
What about those amazing PC pics we saw not too long ago? They were wayyyy above anything we've seen on the consoles...

I'm sure once DX11 is "patched" into the game, we'll be blown away. No doubt in my mind.
Not blown away, but pleasantly surprised. Cause those are DX11 shots on the other page and look a lot better than the demo, but don't really demonstrate DX11 tech that well.

bhlaab

The 360 and PS3 versions have been leaked. See this is why console gaming is dead, people! I hope Jim Sterling types up a long rant about how 360 and PS3 owners don't deserve games anymore.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow at the pcgamer review.

All they talked about was the flashy combat.

What made me laugh even harder was this located in the review.

Games that inspired this game:
Planescape Torment
Mass Effect

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Speculator said:
part 2 of tech blog is up (with new screens):

http://blog.bioware.com/2011/03/03/the-technology-of-dragon-age-ii-–-part-2/

http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/bethany.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/mansion.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/golem-attacks.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/rock-wraith.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/diffusion-and-tesselation.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/hightown.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
There seems to be one more from NVidia's site: [url]http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/gdc-2011-dragon-age-2-being-pushed-to-new-visual-limits-with-directX-11[/url]

[IMG]http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/articles/dragon-age-2.jpg

They also spell Andreas Papathanasis wrong in about three different ways. :lol

NVidia said:
Panthanasis
Papanthansis
Panthansis

kitzkozan

SerArthurDayne said:
Regarding New Nightmare Difficulty
Isn't it going to be a problem that all of the magic and skills have been redesigned for area of effect? I mean, unless you play four mages/archers you are going to kick the shit out of any melee you have deployed. I understand the point is to make it more challenging, but to me it seems like it might actually be broken based on the new design.

On paper,it seem insanely difficult because of the melee aoe+mage aoe/stun which could kill your tank and thus hard hitting enemies ripping to shred a rogue or mage in 2 sec thus death.In reality,it will depend on level+gear scaling.It was broken in origins,as you gained overpowered abilities which made crowd control+tanking completely braindead. :p

I think that it will end up far more difficult than nightmare in origins,but nowhere close near to being impossible. :] There will be far less people willing to tackle on nightmare difficulty this time around.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I forgot to mention as well that pcgamer called Dragon Age 2, The RPG of the decade so far.

Just placed my Steam preorder, I was torn between the PC and PS3 version until I booted up the PC demo again just now. I must have played each version's demo like eight times. I never played DA:O, but I'm a huge Mass Effect fan so I hope the characters and story are just as engrossing. Honestly the combat sold me on this game, and the demo is hugely responsible for my purchase. DA2 wasn't even on my playlist this year, and now I can't wait for the 8th!

Also it's worth noting I NEVER play as a magic user in any game, but the mage in DA2 is simply awesome. I can't even describe how great it plays, and that's just in the demo! Of course, my first playthrough will be Female/Rogue, but I fully intend to roll Male/Mage in my second.

Inorigo said:
I just wanna know why taking the lag out of fights is considered "revamping" it.

Things move a bit faster. Now warriors charge at enemies like warriors instead of shuffling up to them like Kirk Douglas coming on stage at the Oscars. Game plays the same as Origins.
I don't mind the shortening of time intervals between actions. I just don't want to verify every single standard attack command by pressing a button. If the finalized game has the option to turn auto-attack on, they should have put it in the demo.

Leucrota

bhlaab said:
The 360 and PS3 versions have been leaked. See this is why console gaming is dead, people! I hope Jim Sterling types up a long rant about how 360 and PS3 owners don't deserve games anymore.

I guess you don't get the point of his articles then?

Gattsu25

Banned
Speculator said:
mansion.jpg
0jIvJ.jpg

Durante

Coxswain said:
If you haven't already, go grab gibbed's 'mod' files for the demo (unlocks half-implemented character customization, the inventory, and the difficulty levels). Assuming that the unlockable Nightmare in the demo is representative of the full game (admittedly a pretty big assumption), it's actually really quite well done.
Thanks for making me aware of that. I just finished the demo on Nightmare, and while it was better (much better) the game's focus still clearly showed and detracted from the experience. Also, the game resets to normal after the timeskip -- I noticed after a few seconds how I was transferred back to stupid land.

Stuff like the lack of isometric perspective making targeting enemies that are further away stupid and all the quick move and AoE abilities as well as the movement speed not mixing well is sadly not fixed by Nightmare. And the completely unpredictable popping up of new enemies during combat doesn't really help when you're trying to make tactical decisions.

Most damning for me was when I moved behind a hill trying to avoid enemy fire and force the shooters closer, and they proceeded to almost kill my party by shooting straight through 5 meters of shit:
dragonage2demo-2011-03lgw4.jpg

(that's the party getting hit from the enemies you see at the very edge of the minimap. Straight through the shit mountain to the right.)

Still, gathering a large number of enemies in one place away from my party for AoE while distracting the Ogre and barely making it through that fight was good enough to make me want to buy the game when I can get it for 20€ or so.

koji

Durante said:
Most damning for me was when I moved behind a hill trying to avoid enemy fire and force the shooters closer, and they proceeded to almost kill my party by shooting straight through 5 meters of shit:
http://www.abload.de/img/dragonage2demo-2011-03lgw4.jpg

Yeah OK, stuff like that is BAD... It's probably going to take months and months to fix it or not even fix it at all, just like they did with archery in DA:O. As far as I know that's still broken.

Man, they supported NWN for years after its release and now all they can do is pump bullshit DLC and hurry up for the next installment in the new franchise, seriously, there's something very wrong with current big budget gaming.

Cheech

Damn. 4 days from launch and I still can't decide whether or not to cancel my PC Signature Edition or not. I am balls deep into WoW atm, and I have a copy of Bulletstorm I haven't installed yet. It seems gratuitous to spend $60 on DA2 just to get a "savings" of $20 in DLC plus preorder items.

shinobi602 said:
I just said the page before this as an example, if you read throughout the whole thread, it's been said numerous times.

Anyway... /shrug
Honestly parts of the demo did look really bad from an art standpoint. Just bland and lifeless and boring artwork. Those screenshots showing some of the technical stuff the engine can do are neat though.

endaround

Neo Member
Durante said:
Stuff like the lack of isometric perspective making targeting enemies that are further away stupid and all the quick move and AoE abilities as well as the movement speed not mixing well is sadly not fixed by Nightmare. And the completely unpredictable popping up of new enemies during combat doesn't really help when you're trying to make tactical decisions.
See this is why I'm not sure Nightmare will work. Are you going to have to memorize where the enemies spawn from in order to make sure your mage doesn't get surrounded?

Patryn

dave is ok said:
How many different entitlements are there? I have The Far Cliffs of Kirkwall and Lothering's Lament apparently.

Everyone who played the demo has Far Cliffs of Kirkwall and Lothering's Lament.

There's also Hindisight, which was obtained as part of a Penny Arcade promotion where you just had (have?) to visit a web page.

The Staff of Parthalan, which you got for signing up for the EA newsletter.

Haydon's Razor, which you got for completing the demo.

Ser Isaac's Armor, which you got with a code in Dead Space 2.

Patryn said:

There's also Hindisight, which was obtained as part of a Penny Arcade promotion where you just had (have?) to visit a web page.

Yeah, that's all of it, I've got all of that showing in my profile on the social site. If the marketing's group most recent facebook promotion works, another item will be added as well.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hmm, I'm leafing through the DA2 thread on Something Awful and saw some screenshots from a stream of the game (streamer gained it dubiously?). Potential dream crusher:
It looks like the dreaded Mass Effect 2 save-import emails are back. link

Thnikkaman said:
Hmm, I'm leafing through the DA2 thread on Something Awful and saw some screenshots from a stream of the game (streamer gained it dubiously?).
Also some one mentioned that the shops seemed to be set up similarly to the way they were in ME2. Honestly its not surprising though that more than one part of Mass Effect got transplated into DA2.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thnikkaman said:
Hmm, I'm leafing through the DA2 thread on Something Awful and saw some screenshots from a stream of the game (streamer gained it dubiously?). Potential dream crusher:
It looks like the dreaded Mass Effect 2 save-import emails are back. link

I don't recall what was bad about this or the shops in ME2.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
WanderingWind said:
I don't recall what was bad about this or the shops in ME2.
For some, the system in ME2 wasn't a satisfying enough pay-off for all the work you put in.

WanderingWind said:
Ah. The disappointing impact of the game imports. Got it. What about the shops?
I didn't know about that being ME2 style but I liked how things were in Origins because the text and buttons are small and easy to scroll through, not like ME1's backpack.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thnikkaman said:
For some, the system in ME2 wasn't a satisfying enough pay-off for all the work you put in.

Ah. The disappointing impact of the game imports. Got it. What about the shops?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Just read about another character romance:
Sebastian's. Open to both male and female Hawke but the relationship is chaste over the course of the game. No awkward sex scene here apparently.

Also I was dumb enough to spoil something really major. Whatever you do, be very careful with the spoiler tags on SA! You don't have to highlight them like here, hovering gives away the terrible secrets. I goofed up :(

--
Oh, this is lame. Ser Isaac's armour is restricted to the format you bought Dead Space 2 on? I was hoping it would unlock on everything, not just my PS3.

Vamphuntr

Patryn said:

There's also five items for playing the facebook game. One item from buying over 15$ of DA merchandise at a store I can't remember the name. There's a ring you can only get buy preordering at best buy too.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone who preordered through Impulse has now been charged, and can begin preloading.

Currently clipping along @ 2MB/s.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Trojita said:
I forgot to mention as well that pcgamer called Dragon Age 2, The RPG of the decade so far.
That's a really lame say to say so early into the decade, akin to the Flight of the Conchords song "Beautiful Girl"

Top Bottom