• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Trojita said:
Wow at the pcgamer review.

All they talked about was the flashy combat.

What made me laugh even harder was this located in the review.

Games that inspired this game:
Planescape Torment
Mass Effect

This actually offends me.

Dice said:
That's a really lame say to say so early into the decade, akin to the Flight of the Conchords song "Beautiful Girl"

It would truly be lame if they weren't being sarcastic and joking around, which they were.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Kinspiracy said:
It would truly be lame if they weren't being sarcastic and joking around, which they were.
I know Flight of the Conchords is, but is PC Gamer?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Drunkenthumbmaster said:
31 pages of a game that's not out yet and a shit tonne of hate. Damn this is going to be Bioware's best selling game ever.
Uh, most of the random haters have moved on and the discussion of the game has become a lot more refined. Sure there are still plenty of negative opinions, but the responses don't consist of "omg this game looks like shit."

Jerk

Banned
I wonder if I can get a family member to buy this for my birthday like the first...

Like the first, this does not look like it is worth full price.

HK-47 said:

Same here.

kai3345

Banned
What the fuck at the ME2 emails.

You'd think that with the game being "About the same length as Origins" as they say, they'd be able to have room for all of the little DAO callbacks as sidequests. Not as shitty emails.

Thnikkaman said:
Oh, this is lame. Ser Isaac's armour is restricted to the format you bought Dead Space 2 on? I was hoping it would unlock on everything, not just my PS3.
Apparently the PS3 armor has a different unlocking scheme that restricts it to only PS3. Meanwhile an Xbox 360 unlock code grants the armor to both the '360 & PC versions of DA2.

A buddy gave ne his 360 code so I can confirm that I'm eligible for armor on both platforms.

Superfrog

Superfrog said:
If anyone is interested in the DA2 strategy guide: The official guide will be released as hardcover Collector's Edition (292 pages; including an extra 16-page bonus section) and Standard Edition (276 pages).

v3ipi0.jpg
20+ PDF sample pages from the strategy guide are now available (be aware of possible spoilers)

Squire

Banned
M°°nblade said:
I don't mind the shortening of time intervals between actions. I just don't want to verify every single standard attack command by pressing a button. If the finalized game has the option to turn auto-attack on, they should have put it in the demo.

They really should have, but I think they didn't because they wanted to place emphasis on the fact that now you can play Dragon Age more actively, more like and action-RPG and have it actually fit the description.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Felix Lighter said:
Ha fixed the spelling. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about my poor comedic timing.

That's okay. I edited out a Super Troopers joke that, if misconstrued, would have been offensive. I, too, bear the mantle of bad comedic presence.

HK-47 said:

So, did the magazine interview Bioware and ask them about influences or did the guy who wrote the review actually get reminded of Planescape: Torment while playing? :I

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fimbulvetr said:
So, did the magazine interview Bioware and ask them about influences or did the guy who wrote the review actually get reminded of Planescape: Torment while playing. :I

It was on the press release.

Hixx

Reluctant-Hero said:
Apparently the PS3 armor has a different unlocking scheme that restricts it to only PS3. Meanwhile an Xbox 360 unlock code grants the armor to both the '360 & PC versions of DA2.

A buddy gave ne his 360 code so I can confirm that I'm eligible for armor on both platforms.

Nice, just done it. On my Dead Space 2 insert it says 'Offer only good on Xbox 360' but like you say it has unlocked it for the PC & 360 version.

I have to admit, I only played a little bit of the first game, that said this game is fairly interesting to me. I played the Demo, came away meh but intrigued. Graphically I expected more and something seemed off.

Honestly, I think I may have been wrong though. My friend picked up the game early at a Toys R Us here in Pittsburgh (Bethel Park to be exact). I have been watching it played, and I have to say it looks really good. It may not be perfect, but I cant wait to get a go at it later today. Also, I will admit that it graphically looks a lot better than I first thought. It may not win awards, but it looks pretty good IMO.

Anyways, yeah Im looking forward to playing this after watching it a ton. Now if only TRU would put out Pokemon early...haha

Oh, heres a pic for proof in anyone wanted one-

photo.jpg

If anyone has any questions about the game, go ahead and ask. Ill try to answer. That said, I didn't follow the lead up to this game, so Im not sure what is all known.

Xamdou

Demoncarnotaur said:
I have to admit, I only played a little bit of the first game, that said this game is fairly interesting to me. I played the Demo, came away meh but intrigued. Graphically I expected more and something seemed off.

Honestly, I think I may have been wrong though. My friend picked up the game early at a Toys R Us here in Pittsburgh (Bethel Park to be exact). I have been watching it played, and I have to say it looks really good. It may not be perfect, but I cant wait to get a go at it later today. Also, I will admit that it graphically looks a lot better than I first thought. It may not win awards, but it looks pretty good IMO.

Anyways, yeah Im looking forward to playing this after watching it a ton. Now if only TRU would put out Pokemon early...haha

Oh, heres a pic for proof in anyone wanted one-

photo.jpg

If anyone has any questions about the game, go ahead and ask. Ill try to answer. That said, I didn't follow the lead up to this game, so Im not sure what is all known.

-What decisions are carried over from the first game?
-What characters make a return?
-Is the progression of the game linear as in forcing you to go from one area to another or do you select the areas you want to go to like the first game?
-What class and specializations did you pick?

RS4-

Xamdou said:
-Is the progression of the game linear as in forcing you to go from one area to another or do you select the areas you want to go to like the first game?

I don't know about actual decisions from an imported save file but the canned default ones involve the three origins: elf, dwarf and human one.

From watching a steam you can't really customize the armor of your ally. It's just the weapon and accessories (belt, rings, necklace). I don't remember if that's how it was in DA1.

Guy was annoyed that when a party member died in story you lose whatever they had equipped; so he had to reload, unequip the accessories/weapon, then continue with the story.

Apparently only person that gets a specialty class is Hawke?

Impressions that I got from watching:
You can still kite the AI which is still pretty bad.
A lot of the dungeons are recycled, just some parts are blocked off by locked doors, but open in another quest, things like that.

Vamphuntr

RS4- said:
I don't know about actual decisions from an imported save file but the canned default ones involve the three origins: elf, dwarf and human one.

From watching a steam you can't really customize the armor of your ally. It's just the weapon and accessories (belt, rings, necklace). I don't remember if that's how it was in DA1.

Guy was annoyed that when a party member died in story you lose whatever they had equipped; so he had to reload, unequip the accessories/weapon, then continue with the story.

Apparently only person that gets a specialty class is Hawke?

Impressions that I got from watching:
You can still kite the AI which is still pretty bad.
A lot of the dungeons are recycled, just some parts are blocked off by locked doors, but open in another quest, things like that.

Guess they didn't learn anything from DAO. Someone post the penny arcade comic where they complain that Alistair left with the warden commander's armor.

Ill have answers for the other questions in a bit, and what I cant answer Ill have my friend answer. Dont worry, Ill spoiler tag where appropriate.

jagaman said:
I heard that there is no auto-attack option. Is this true?

Odd, I cant find it in the menu actually. Maybe Im just blind or not looking at the right spot.

Xamdou said:

OK, here is what my friend said as he played more than me-

1. There have been a couple mentions of my character, but the biggest one so far was when I saw some Dalish elves getting pissed off at some of the former
werewolves (I freed them in my game).
All in all, it was a small interaction but it was still neat. I'm sure there is other stuff that will be more important later.

2. Well so far no characters have made a return yet, but Alistair and Morrigan have been mentioned by different people which was neat. By the way, I'm only about 10 hours into it and still in the first year of the decade the story takes place so there is a possibility other characters from DA:O will make an appearance. Oh yeah, but
Anders from DA: Awakening
is a full fledged companion in this game, not just a cameo.

3. Where I'm at there has been one kind of central town where I've been doing a ton of quests, but it looks like it will open up in some shape or form eventually.

4. I picked a Male Warrior and I use a two-handed sword and my first specialization point I spent was on being a templar.

As for myself, I wanted to note that I am disappointed by the character editor. As far as I can tell, you cannot re-create Hawke without choosing him. His hair and beard are not available for customizing oddly. Also, interesting looking finishing moves seem to not be in the game. As in beheadings of casual enemies or other interesting context moves like that.

Fimbulvetr said:
You're playing on consoles, right?

That might be it. :I

Yeah, 360.. Ill let you know if I do find the option, but it isnt evident from what I saw.

Hixx

Demoncarnotaur said:
OK, here is what my friend said as he played more than me-

As for myself, I wanted to note that I am disappointed by the character editor. As far as I can tell, you cannot re-create Hawke without choosing him. His hair and beard are not available for customizing oddly. Also, interesting looking finishing moves seem to not be in the game. As in beheadings of casual enemies or other interesting context moves like that.

I don't mind. First time they're cool, after they become kind of frustrating. Especially the Ogre one, did it really need to be in slow motion?

Xilium

Demoncarnotaur said:
Yeah, 360.. Ill let you know if I do find the option, but it isnt evident from what I saw.

It was a last minute promise due to backlash that it would be added to the game so it probably hasn't happened yet and will added in later with a patch.

Confidence Man said:
So apparently high-res textures don't even come with the game, you'll have to download it separately next week.
Damn. They really were working on the high-res, DX11, stuff up until the last minute. Crazy.

Vamphuntr

Xilium said:
It was a last minute promise due to backlash that it would be added to the game so it probably hasn't happened yet and will added in later with a patch.

What is weird is that it's in the review code but apparently not in the retail.

Confidence Man said:
So apparently high-res textures don't even come with the game, you'll have to download it separately next week.
Well at least thats better than Crysis 2, jeez whats going with these release schedules.

Top Bottom