• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Xilium

Vamphuntr said:
What is weird is that it's in the review code but apparently not in the retail.

I didn't play the console version. Was it just a grayed out option then or was it something that needed to be hacked in?

Vamphuntr

Xilium said:
I didn't play the console version. Was it just a grayed out option then or was it something that needed to be hacked in?

In the demo (360) the option is not even there. On Bioware forums a guy had a review code and said the option was added and now people are saying the retail doesn't have it.

Synless

It fucking better have auto-attack. Pushing X nonstop to regularly attack is a stupid design decision for an RPG.

Vamphuntr said:
In the demo (360) the option is not even there. On Bioware forums a guy had a review code and said the option was added and now people are saying the retail doesn't have it.
What? Who is saying that? That's a deal breaker

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Demoncarnotaur said:
As for myself, I wanted to note that I am disappointed by the character editor. As far as I can tell, you cannot re-create Hawke without choosing him. His hair and beard are not available for customizing oddly. Also, interesting looking finishing moves seem to not be in the game. As in beheadings of casual enemies or other interesting context moves like that.

What!?

I just watched a Livestream of the 360 version and someone asked the guy to activate auto-attack and there was no option to do so. I really don't feel like mashing A for 50 hours.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Trojita said:

Similar to Mass Effect's default Shepard, you can't enhance features of the default Male/Female Hawke as they were specifically created custom head art assets. However, the other presets available can be modified just like DA:O.

Xilium

Vamphuntr said:
So there was never any actual confirmation then. I figured after watching the 1up video. That seemed like something they would turn on as it sounded as though Scooter didn't like the button mashing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Speculator said:
Similar to Mass Effect's default Shepard, you can't enhance features of the default Male/Female Hawke as they were specifically created custom head art assets. However, the other presets available can be modified just like DA:O.

Oh okay. Thanks for explaining that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Vamphuntr said:
What is weird is that it's in the review code but apparently not in the retail.
If retail had gone gold before they decided to add it, the option very likely could be intended for a day zero patch.

Broken street date and all that.

edit: I type slowly, but yeah

Speculator said:

Yeah, but the weird part is how default Hawke options aren't available while making a custom character. It just seems bizarre not having those available.

As for auto-attack- I honestly do not think it is available on the 360. Here is a video I took showing off the final menu, and you can see while some cool options are there, auto-attack is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZqfn-6pMzA

Vamphuntr

Demoncarnotaur said:
Yeah, but the weird part is how default Hawke options aren't available while making a custom character. It just seems bizarre not having those available.

As for auto-attack- I honestly do not think it is available on the 360. Here is a video I took showing off the final menu, and you can see while some cool options are there, auto-attack is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZqfn-6pMzA

Did you check in the radial menu?

Xilium

Inorigo said:
Found it. It's not a toggle. To make a character autp-attack you have to select attack from the radial menu rather than using a face button.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4827188/1#4846936

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4715441/7#4720310
I'm not a console player but that sounds like it would get annoying after a while...

To me that sounds like it would be akin to having to pause the game every time you want to select a new target on PC.

Xilium said:
I'm not a console player but that sounds like it would get annoying after a while...
Yeah like the second or third time. It sounds like there was some major disagreement within Bioware over whether DA2 was a RPGwithaction or an ACTIONrpg

ElectricBlue187 said:
Yeah like the second or third time. It sounds like there was some major disagreement within Bioware over whether DA2 was a RPGwithaction or an ACTIONrpg

It sounds more like they didn't think too many console players would care since most of the people who do will play on PC.

Vamphuntr

ElectricBlue187 said:

It's also awkward to aim using the radial menu on the console version. The camera make it difficult to target the enemy you want. Seeing as there are enemies reinforcements often in the demo then I guess we will be mashing A/X.

LiamExe

Inorigo said:
Found it. It's not a toggle. To make a character autp-attack you have to select attack from the radial menu rather than using a face button.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4827188/1#4846936

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4715441/7#4720310
That looks like an old topic that someone bumped up. The final post on that is from a Bioware member stating they've implemented a toggle for it within the options.

Edit: But the Bioware guy says "if I recall correctly" so who knows. :(

Vamphuntr said:
It's also awkward to aim using the radial menu on the console version. The camera make it difficult to target the enemy you want. Seeing as there are enemies reinforcements often in the demo then I guess we will be mashing A/X.

lolRanged characters.

:(

Kinspiracy said:
I just watched a Livestream of the 360 version and someone asked the guy to activate auto-attack and there was no option to do so. I really don't feel like mashing A for 50 hours.

God I hope auto attack is stll in. Good god Bioware. Playing as a rogue with action controls was kind of fun, I admit, but I wan't the option to play more strategically if I want.

Squire

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Just got the game. Ill deliver some impressions in a few hrs.

Just check the options and let us know if auto-attack is an option to toggle on/off or if we have to select it from the radial for each individual enemy. That seems to be what people want to know most. It hits Tuesday. We've read/heard enough impressions. We need to play.

Trickster

Anyone find out if it was true that the game supposedly takes place in
kirkwall or whatever the city is called
for the majority of the game?

Squire

Banned
Trickster said:

That's what PC Gamer said in their review. So, I'm assuming...

Squire

Banned
Trickster said:

That's what PC Gamer said in their review. So, unless they're lying, I'm gonna assume...

Inorigo said:
Just check the options and let us know if auto-attack is an option to toggle on/off or if we have to select it from the radial for each individual enemy.

I need to know this while I can still cancel my Amazon order. I have no inclination to hit A repeatedly for hours on end.

Squire

Banned
Zod the Bear said:
I need to know this while I can still cancel my Amazon order. I have no inclination to hit A repeatedly for hours on end.

Some of you really are making this out to be a bigger deal than it is. You'd cancel your order and pass on the game just because it requires you work a little harder (or at all) than anticipated? That's it a little sad. Games haven't always had an auto-attack feature. Where were you pre-Final Fantasy XII?

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Mike Laidlaw said:
Verdict!

Consoles:

Press A to perform basic attack.

Open radial menu and press A to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.

Non-controlled characters will behave based on tactics.

PC:

Right click to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.

Non-controlled characters will behave based on tactics.
Posting the response from the official forums from the previously posted links

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Inorigo said:
Some of you really are making this out to be a bigger deal than it is. You'd cancel your order and pass on the game just because it requires you work a little harder (or at all) than anticipated? That's it a little sad. Games haven't always had an auto-attack feature. Where were you pre-Final Fantasy XII?

Joke post?

About Auto-Attack-

Ok, we tried to find auto-attack in the radial menu with no luck. Here is the video of us poking around, trying to find it. Are we idiots and missing it? I dont see the option anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9oNVcl8BNM
(Give it a little to process in HD so you can see what is going on)

Trickster said:

So far that seems to be the case about 12hours in. It appears to be to be a hub world of sorts. You do a lot of stuff outside of the city, but keep going back to progress story wise. That said, its not a bad thing (yet), as it hasnt gotten stale.

Trickster

Demoncarnotaur said:
So far that seems to be the case about 12hours in. It appears to be to be a hub world of sorts. You do a lot of stuff outside of the city, but keep going back to progress story wise. That said, its not a bad thing (yet), as it hasnt gotten stale.

Okay that's a bit of relief, I was afraid that it would feel like the game took place in only a tiny tiny portion of the world, whereas in DA:O you got to travel to a lot of different places. What about the size of the city then? I would expect it to be pretty massive if it plays such a huge role throughout the game.

vocab

Inorigo said:

Mashing A is not working harder.

Hixx

Blagh they're doing that stupid online-unlock thing for the PC version. Midnight. It annoys the shit out of me, if I have my game that I've just paid for I should be able to play it.

Get it on Xbox - play it as soon as I put the disc in the tray.
Get it on PC - play it when EA say I can.

Fucking bastards.

HixxSAFC said:
Get it on Xbox - play it as soon as I put the disc in the tray.
Get it on PC - play it when EA say I can.

Fucking bastards.
Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and the pirates will break the protection on the game sometime during the weekend.

Hixx

Lostconfused said:
Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and the pirates will break the protection on the game sometime during the weekend.

I will be getting it via Steam so unfortunately I doubt that will be an option.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
HixxSAFC said:
I will be getting it via Steam so unfortunately I doubt that will be an option.
What's more annoying in my opinion is that we can't pre-download the game yet. I'm going to a MvC3 tourney that's on late, would be nice to have Hawke to come back to.

JambiBum

Demoncarnotaur said:
About Auto-Attack-

Ok, we tried to find auto-attack in the radial menu with no luck. Here is the video of us poking around, trying to find it. Are we idiots and missing it? I dont see the option anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9oNVcl8BNM
(Give it a little to process in HD so you can see what is going on)

Try going into the actual game options and not the radial menu.

Top Bottom