• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Inorigo said:
Some of you really are making this out to be a bigger deal than it is. You'd cancel your order and pass on the game just because it requires you work a little harder (or at all) than anticipated? That's it a little sad. Games haven't always had an auto-attack feature. Where were you pre-Final Fantasy XII?

Pretty sure FFXII didn't invent custom-AI/Gambits.

Zeal

Banned
I can say the combat is extremely fun but the graphics at times approach n64 quality with some of the textures. The polygon models are also noticeably low count. Sometimes a mountain will seriously be composed of, say, 4 polygons being covered by extremely low rez and muddy textures. Its quite distracting at times and really pulls you out of the games world.

I also see no auto attack, although the combat animations are fast and furious enough to make you want to keep pressing butons. Currenly playing a mage and the staff combat is almost like a shaolin monk shooting fireballs.

Skill trees are also surprisingly varied and deep.

Ps-- sorry for spelling, grammar. posting on tablet.

RyanDG

Demoncarnotaur said:
Not there-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZqfn-6pMzA

I dont think the 360 version has Auto attack. We tried the main menu and radial menu.. and posted vids of both. If anyone has any other ideas, we will try and post the results.

According to the post earlier that someone quoted from Mike Laidlow...

You go into the radial menu, select an enemy and press a (it's not a specific option to select i guess?), from there you release the radial menu and the character will auto attack that enemy (or use tactics for the character you are not controlling). I don't know if its right or not, but to be perfectly honest, this solution is probably the worst way they could have handled allowing for auto attacks in the console version and is rather disappointing if true...

Synless

There is not a single texture anywhere near N64 quality. I have only played the demo, but I somehow guarantee that is complete bullshit. PS2 maybe, N64? No chance in hell.

Zeal

Banned
Synless said:
There is not a single texture anywhere near N64 quality. I have only played the demo, but I somehow guarantee that is complete bullshit. PS2 maybe, N64? No chance in hell.

Why does everyone take everything so literally? The n64 was notorious for its horrible textures, so I was obviously making a comparison, or exaggeration if you want to call it that, to make a point. That being said, the textures at times are distractingly bad. Fine, ps2 quality, then. Does it even matter.

Vamphuntr

Synless said:

Oh really?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26008477&postcount=75

9glc2q.jpg

Synless

Zeal said:
Why does everyone take everything so literally? The n64 was notorious for its horrible textures, so I was obviously making a comparison, or exaggeration if you want to call it that, to make a point. That being said, the textures at times are distractingly bad. Fine, ps2 quality, then. Does it even matter.
I'm not trying to call you out. I just wish people who have the game would offer more accurate descriptions to people who don't. n64 is long gone and there are better more accurate comparisons to make. Some people make their purchases off of other peoples details. (not saying that's me. I do however, like realistic details.)

zlatko

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Highly debatable.
hpQ4U.jpg

Is that Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon # 2 right there? Fuck I loved the first one, and the second one was alright, but going with a 2D approach, when the open 3D Mario approach was so much better.

Mrbob

RyanDG said:

You go into the radial menu, select an enemy and press a (it's not a specific option to select i guess?), from there you release the radial menu and the character will auto attack that enemy (or use tactics for the character you are not controlling). I don't know if its right or not, but to be perfectly honest, this solution is probably the worst way they could have handled allowing for auto attacks in the console version and is rather disappointing if true...

Lol that is a terrible solution guess Bioware really wanted people to constantly press a button for non awesome!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Synless said:
I'm not in the mood to debate, but I see a world of difference.
I do too.
  • Individually modeled rib bones
  • Curvature of the cheeks taken into account
  • Notched spine
  • Seperate movable jaw

Zeal

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I do too.
  • Notched spine
  • Seperate movable jaw
Some people here amaze me. But whatever, thisisneogafdude.gif

Synless

Dance In My Blood said:
I do too.
  • Notched spine
  • Seperate movable jaw
Are you confused? We are talking about textures, not fully polygonal objects. Yes, it's lazy that they went the route they did, but it still looks better than N64. I'm not on some kind of defense force here, the game is Ok looking at best. I just asked for more realistic comparisons. Sorry I said shit if it's going to cause any kind of conflict.

RyanDG said:

Well, we tried that and had no luck at all. Im a little new to Dragon Age, but my friend who is playing knows it better than I do and couldn't get that to work. We filmed it again, so people can watch and see what happens, and let us know if we messed something up. Anyone from the Dev team post here that can clear this up? Anyways, Ill post the vid after it uploads.

Trickster said:
Which really should not be okay on a 360/ps3 in 2011

True, but really I don't mind, I won't be analyzing what textures are used on cliffs or rocks that I pass by while running...Bioware games aren't known for their graphics in any case.

/shrug

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What is with this thread? If you don't like the game why are you in here?

This thread should be about people playing the game, not arguing over textures.

Durante

Well, talking about gameplay, in addition to the non-existent collision detection what was really annoying when playing the demo on Nightmare was trying to target the numerous AoE spells/skills at enemy groups that are further away. Because of the really restrictive camera limits it's pretty much impossible to get a precise ground target off at longer distances. I hope someone finds a way to at least increase the camera zoom out limit for the final game.

Deadly Cyclone said:
What is with this thread? If you don't like the game why are you in here?

This thread should be about people playing the game, not arguing over textures.
Where's the thisisneogafdude.gif when you need it? I totally agree with you, Cyclone. But this GAF, seriously.

Inorigo said:
Some of you really are making this out to be a bigger deal than it is. You'd cancel your order and pass on the game just because it requires you work a little harder (or at all) than anticipated? That's it a little sad. Games haven't always had an auto-attack feature. Where were you pre-Final Fantasy XII?

Doesn't make me work harder. Makes me mash a button. Repeatedly hitting the same button over and over isn't challenging or fun.

Squire

Banned
I think what the devs mean is that mean is that if you hit a face button to attack, the character only attacks once. Selecting attack in the radial will cause them to continue attacking constantly and automatically. There is no actual switch or option labeled auto-attack.

Trickster

shinobi602 said:
True, but really I don't mind, I won't be analyzing what textures are used on cliffs or rocks that I pass by while running...Bioware games aren't known for their graphics in any case.

/shrug

Thing is though, it's not just when people go out of their way to nitpick stuff like the skeleton bones, much of what I see so far of the game is unimpressive.

Look at the first area in the demo, it's literally a low poly enviroment made out of nothing but rock and a bit of smoke. I know that the area is supposed to look like it been torched to the ground by the bad guys, but it just ends up looking ugly and unimpressive because it's littereally NOTHING more than a shitty looking rock eniroment.

And unfortunately that low poly feel from the demo seems to be persistent throughout the game, don't think I've seen a screenshot or video where buildings and enviroments doesn't have a very "squarish" design. Stuff like pillars are not round, they're square. Builds? Pretty much made out of different sized squares.

I guess it could be argued to be another "stylistic" choice, I'm more inclined to think it's because the game had a short development cycle and was made for consoles.

Neki

shinobi602 said:
Hitting a button once and watching your character do everything is?
Regardless, the fact that they didn't even include an option to automatically auto-attack with one press is stupid. It's not like it would have been much harder to actually do that, what is wrong with options these days?

Squire

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Regardless, the fact that they didn't even include an option to automatically auto-attack with one press is stupid. It's not like it would have been much harder to actually do that, what is wrong with options these days?

Why is it stupid? Because Origins and a lot of other games had it as an option? Well, I regret to inform you, this isn't Origins or some other game. It's Dragon Age 2. If they didn't want to put auto-attack in, it's not stupid, it's a choice they made.

Ultimoo said:

Oh I definitely agree with you there. I don't see why it would've been difficult to at least give people the choice. I mean would it be difficult from a technical/practical perspective? I don't see a reason not to have both =/

Trickster

Inorigo said:
Why is it stupid? Because Origins and a lot of other games had it as an option? Well, I regret to inform you, this isn't Origins or some other game. It's Dragon Age 2. If they didn't want to put auto-attack in, it's not stupid, it's a choice they made.

It's in the pc version though

Neki

Inorigo said:
Once again, what is wrong with more options? When has taking away options ever been a good thing for a game? You're not harming your fan base by including the ability to toggle mash x/auto-attack, so why wouldn't they include it? This only serves to alienate your fanbase unnecessarily to make Dragon Age feel more "actiony". We're not talking about a big technical hurdle here, it's the ability to keep telling the main character to keep attacking as long as X was pressed and is in range. For something more complicated, I'd understand, but this is just auto-attacking.

Squire

Banned
Trickster said:
It's in the pc version though

As with Origins, they've stressed the console versions would be adapted as such from the minute they announced the game. The camera also pulls out farther in the PC version.

Inorigo said:

Is DA2 really the sword you want to fall on?

And what the fuck are you even saying? "It's a choice they made."? Everything in the development of a game is a choice that is made, so what's your point? How can something be a choice rather than being stupid?

Squire

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Once again, what is wrong with more options? When has taking away options ever been a good thing for a game? You're not harming your fan base by including the ability to toggle mash x/auto-attack, so why wouldn't they include it? This only serves to alienate your fanbase unnecessarily to make Dragon Age feel more "actiony". We're not talking about a big technical hurdle here, it's the ability to keep telling the main character to keep attacking as long as X was pressed and is in range. For something more complicated, I'd understand, but this is just auto-attacking.

That's just it though: it's just auto-attacking. It's not in the game. Get over it. They didn't include it because they didn't want to. I'm sure everyone has played and enjoyed plenty of RPGS without auto-attack. So you have to press a button every time you want to attack. OH NOES!!! No, not oh noes. It'll be alright. In fact you'll probably get used to it and maybe even (gasp!) start to like it.

Trickster

Inorigo said:
As with Origins, they've stressed the console versions would be adapted as such from the minute they announced the game. The camera also pulls out farther in the PC version.

They've also stressed that DA2 would be made with consoles much more in mind than with DA:O and yet they still manage to neglect implementing simple features such as auto-attack, something I'm amazed that they thought was an accetable omission in the consle version when they clearly felt it was needed for the pc version. not like it would be hard to make "1" be the spam-a-lot button on a keyboard.

Inorigo said:
That's just it though: it's just auto-attacking. It's not in the game. Get over it. They didn't include it because they didn't want to. I'm sure everyone has played and enjoyed plenty of RPGS without auto-attack. So you have to press a button every time you want to attack. OH NOES!!! No, not oh noes. It'll be alright. In fact you'll probably get used to it and maybe even (gasp!) start to like it.

Yeah, you won't last long here.

This gamefaqs-level "LOL GET OVER IT CRYBABY, DEV CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT" bullshit is beneath this forum intellectually (and that's saying a lot).

I suggest you perform a miraculous 180° on your personality, otherwise don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Squire

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
Yeah, you won't last long here.

Thanks so much for the support! ;)

Anyways, I won't believe it's not in until I have a copy of the game in my own hands. And if it's not, it's not that big a deal. Really.

Neki

Inorigo said:

I can't believe you're defending a developer taking out options instead of adding them. It's like if they only allowed you to play Dragon Age II in standard definition with no option of playing it high definition even though it's perfectly capable of being played in high definition. And they justify it by saying "DEAL WITH IT, IT'S OUR VISION, YOU'LL ENJOY IT MORE IN STANDARD DEFINITION." Yeah that's cool, why not include HD when you totally can though? That's basically what you're telling me.

Including auto-attack would make more people happy at virtually no cost, because for all the people who want to mash x, they can still mash x. For all the people who want to auto-attack, they can auto-attack. Adding auto-attack wouldn't make anyone less happier, it'd only make the game better.

EDIT: All of this is moot if Bioware actually included it, so we will wait and see.

gdt

For whatever reason, I liked the non auto attack in the demo (I guess I feel more "in the fight" instead of hovering around issuing orders). And I'll be playing the game like that for sure.

But still, no reason to remove an option.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So, after all the controversy and stuff about this game, who is still planning on buying it day one?

If I didn't already have so much to play, I would probably give in, but I'm in no rush so I'll just wait until I can find a deal on the PC version in a few months. I don't think I'll hate the game, but it's not exactly screaming out my name if you know what I mean. Despite all my concerns, I still want to play it just so I can form my own opinion about the final product (and cause I'll take anything Bioware dishes out).

Inorigo said:
Thanks so much for the support! ;)

Anyways, I won't believe it's not in until I have a copy of the game in my own hands. And if it's not, it's not that big a deal. Really.

I want DA2 to be good, very much so. DA:O almost had it together and I saw the promise of a really good old-school-Bioware RPG in there somewhere.

I often reserve judgement when I know the dev has the talent. But everything we've seen about DA2, the graphics, cutscenes, gameplay, etc, is laughably, embarrassingly bad. The entire mood/attitude they're trying to set is juvenile, condescending, and cynical. And they've verbally confirmed that they're trying to do exactly what it looks like they're doing. Sometimes, the evidence is too overwhelming to just have faith dude.

If, in defiance of all plausibility, DA2 turns out to be great, then I will be the first one in line joyfully eating my words, because that will be a great day for me. But that's not going to happen.

Top Bottom