• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I spammed potions in Origin. So this might be better even if new mechanic doesn't make any sense.

Tokubetsu

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought he was going crazy over the potion thing. I thought I was somehow not pressing the potion button/it wasn't registering it.

Heal spells must be godly then...that or the game is a cake walk.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
subversus said:
I spammed potions in Origin. So this might be better even if new mechanic doesn't make any sense.
I don't see it, sorry. I'd still think each party member having their own cool down on potions would be stupid, but at least it'd be better than one universal cool down. If that's even true.

It just means I need to learn how to make real healing tactics for my healer instead of just relying upon the tank to drink a ton of potions.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
subversus said:

Long personal cooldowns or potion scarcity would be far better ways to balance.

WanderingWind

Kinspiracy said:
It just means I need to learn how to make real healing tactics for my healer instead of just relying upon the tank to drink a ton of potions.
Which is clearly what the devs want you to do. Except that supposes a fairly singular play style and party configuration. Same problem, different componet.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kinspiracy said:
So I got my answer on whether or not you can make a tactic for your tank (or other squadmates) to drink a potion at specific health levels...you can't. The reason being apparently that potions are on a global timer PER THE ENTIRE SQUAD. So the tank drinks a potion and no one else can until the timer resets. I can understand cooldowns per player, but per the entire squad? That just seems dumb.

I don't even know what to say about this.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EviLore said:
Long personal cooldowns or potion scarcity would be far better ways to balance.

I agree. Still it's better. Now I'll have to choose who'll drink it and balance my party accordingly. But that also means I will be stripped of some strategic options. Oh well...

Pezking

Snuggler said:
So, after all the controversy and stuff about this game, who is still planning on buying it day one?

Pre-ordered it on amazon.com in october (PS3).

It's still my most anticipated game this year.

"DA:O" was by far my GOTY of 2009, even though I played it on "easy" (PS3) and the graphics and framerate sucked big time.

Dumbed down gameplay? Sounds good to me. Make the battle system less complex and more fluid (on consoles), and I will play this game on "normal" difficulty.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I played the first on PS3 as well, and the sequel is likely to be much more playable on a gamepad. You lucked out this time.

Inorigo said:
Fair enough. I just don't think it's that big a deal though. I played through the demo just fine with no auto-attack. Not that you're not allowed to have a preference. Maybe it was dumb for BioWare not to put it in, but if that's what you're going to let keep you from enjoying what's probably a very good game, I think that's a little sad honestly :/
What's sad about not liking 40+ hours of button mashing?

I don't know what your criteria for a 'very good game' are, but mine are mostly led by gameplay-related elements like these.

That, and your comment about pre-FFXII games not having an auto-attack feature is laughworthy.

koji

To people playing the game; how is the class balance?

Does the game still push you towards 2 mage/tank/rogue or can you actually do some more exotic stuff besides playing by the books. Mages still crazy OP'ed?

Kinspiracy said:
So I got my answer on whether or not you can make a tactic for your tank (or other squadmates) to drink a potion at specific health levels...you can't. The reason being apparently that potions are on a global timer PER THE ENTIRE SQUAD. So the tank drinks a potion and no one else can until the timer resets. I can understand cooldowns per player, but per the entire squad? That just seems dumb.

Hmmm, I kinda like that. Might actually add some extra depth to combat.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but couldn't you drink another type of healthpot in DA:O to bypass the CD on the same partymember? Large pot on CD drink a medium pot etc. Might be wrong on this, been a while since I've played.

Snuggler said:
So, after all the controversy and stuff about this game, who is still planning on buying it day one?

If I didn't already have so much to play, I would probably give in, but I'm in no rush so I'll just wait until I can find a deal on the PC version in a few months. I don't think I'll hate the game, but it's not exactly screaming out my name if you know what I mean. Despite all my concerns, I still want to play it just so I can form my own opinion about the final product (and cause I'll take anything Bioware dishes out).

Picking it up day 1 because I'm such a sucker for special editions, I'm so part of the problem. It'll be a while before I'll actually have time to play it though... as in, a couple of months...

chris-013

There is no global cooldown for the whole party.
I can take a healing potion with hawk, switch to another character and take a healing potion.

I play in hard and I die a lot... enemies are squad-based + call for backup ennemies.
The aggro mechanic is very good.
If assassin, archer focus on my mage she dies in 3 sec !

I confirm the auto attack screw up in console version...

koji said:
To people playing the game; how is the class balance?

Does the game still push you towards 2 mage/tank/rogue or can you actually do some more exotic stuff besides playing by the books. Mages still crazy OP'ed?

Not sure about the mage, it's too early but it's a very squishy class. I think you need a 2 handed warrior now to manage aggro on many units.

sam27368

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought he was going crazy over the potion thing. I thought I was somehow not pressing the potion button/it wasn't registering it.

Heal spells must be godly then...that or the game is a cake walk.
Tokubetsu, what's your avatar from? I've seen the video and remember loving the song but I can't remember it at all!

masterkajo

chris-013 said:
There is no global cooldown for the whole party.
I can take a healing potion with hawk, switch to another character and take a healing potion.

I play in hard and I die a lot... enemies are squad-based + call for backup ennemies.
The aggro mechanic is very good.
If assassin, archer focus on my mage she dies in 3 sec !

I confirm the auto attack screw up in console version...

Not sure about the mage, it's too early but it's a very squishy class. I think you need a 2 handed warrior now to manage aggro on many units.
What do you mean by auto attack screw up? The only thing I I absolutely hated in the demo was that you had to press A everytime you want to make a normal attack. I read somewhere on the Bioware forums that there is an option in the full game to hit A once per enemy (like it was in DA:O). Hope this is true.

masterkajo said:
What do you mean by auto attack screw up? The only thing I I absolutely hated in the demo was that you had to press A everytime you want to make a normal attack. I read somewhere on the Bioware forums that there is an option in the full game to hit A once per enemy (like it was in DA:O). Hope this is true.
I read that you have to select auto-attack from the radial menu per enemy.
Wtf.

chris-013

There isn't a option to toggle auto-attack you will need to open the radial menu than select the enemy and press A. It's not too bad because it's better to have the whole party attacking the same target so I use this a lot.

Kyoufu

Great OP.

I wonder though. I'm playing the demo right now and so far its just FFXIII with real time combat...

I'm confused :(

I just played it again, and I was using potions with one character, then lining up one up for the next. I don't know what people are talking about.

masterkajo

M°°nblade said:
I read that you have to select auto-attack from the radial menu per enemy.
Wtf.
WTF! That is even more button pressing on the lower difficulties. The only thing is that now instead of my A button breaking, I also get my LT button to break.
Hope that there is still a toggle option in the options somewhere. Otherwise I should have just upgraded my PC and ordered the PC SE.

Wolves Evolve said:
I just played it again, and I was using potions with one character, then lining up one up for the next. I don't know what people are talking about.

Are you manually switching characters? I think the original concern was using AI tactics to use poultices when health reaches a certain level.

Kinspiracy said:
Ooooh. Thanks for posting that, was so confused/annoyed.

chris-013

That maybe true for the tactic but not if you do it manually.

RS4-

Each party member has a CD on their potion use, not the whole party. I'm trying to remember if you have to have the components to make the potion...or they were really limited at shops. I know for sure one of the healing potions you need elf roots or whatever they were.

Edit - not all the mages have heal either when I looked.

OK, so I guess you can't trust people that say they have the game early. The person I asked on another forum about the tactic to drink potions stated it was gone due to there being a squad-wide global cooldown. Sounds like he was right about there no longer being a tactic, but wrong about the cooldown.

so much misinformation about a game. Never seen anything like it. Can we get a secon OT once the game is launched sifting your 30+ pages of hate and speculation will be a real chore.

Game is definitely a lot of fun. Im bummed that I cant play it right now (my friend took it home with him). I even tried the Toys R Us in Bethel Park PA to see if they still had it out, but it looks like they caught their mistake. Haha ah well, Ill play it later when he comes back.

chris-013 said:
There isn't a option to toggle auto-attack you will need to open the radial menu than select the enemy and press A. It's not too bad because it's better to have the whole party attacking the same target so I use this a lot.

Ok, how in the world do you do this? Are you sure it works? Check out these two videos of my friend and I attempting that, tell me what we did wrong.

Trying to get auto attack radial menu part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9oNVcl8BNM&hd=1

Trying to get auto attack radial menu part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe5h_Ckisc&hd=1

also, for those who may have missed it when I posted earlier

Searching the menus for an auto attack toggle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZqfn-6pMzA&hd=1

As far as we could tell from playing this game, it isnt in there. If it is, I feel like an idiot, haha.

chris-013

Ye I just tried and that doesn't work...

So in the end to be clear, you can't auto-attack with the character you are playing on console version. :p
But I don't think spamming A or X is bad, it's actually fun.

chris-013 said:
Ye I just tried and that doesn't work...

So in the end to be clear, you can't auto-attack with the character you are playing on console version. :p
But I don't think spamming A or X is bad, it's actually fun.

As you level up and get more attacks and spells aren't you doing them more than auto attacking anyway?

Kyoufu

I don't have a problem with the lack of auto attack, my problem is that I can't seem to select the party member I want to use the potion on unless I switch to them. Confusing. Shit Mountain also put me off the graphics, whereas the final part of the demo looked ok-ish.

WanderingWind

And as actual information begins to pop up, we can start to seperate the liars, shills and trolls from the actual posters.

Kyoufu said:
I don't have a problem with the lack of auto attack, my problem is that I can't seem to select the party member I want to use the potion on unless I switch to them. Confusing. Shit Mountain also put me off the graphics, whereas the final part of the demo looked ok-ish.

Yeah, it seems like the way potions work is a complete 180 from Origins. I'm going to miss my tactic for my tank that often saved its life in Origins to drink when life hit 25 percent.

Just a heads up for you guys. End game spoilers are out now so try and stick to GAF only if you don't want to be spoiled. I was fine with minor cameos and what not but the epilogue I would have liked to discover for myself.

chris-013

I don't think so. I'm playing in hard and fight can be very long.
The commander of the squad have a lot of health, do a lot of damage and call for backup.

Characters don't have enougn mana/stamina to use a lot of spell/skills and you need to keep some skills/stamina to defend your mage when the backup are coming.

So you must use normal attack or you will lose a lot of damage per second and fight gets harder the longer it goes on.

I'm sure if you play in normal you can use every skill at the same time and win the fight but in Hard it's a different story. I just did the Isabela fight in the demo in Hard and the commander can nearly oneshot any target different than a warrior !

Well the healing is a pretty major change in the way the game plays. You certainly wouldn't be able to get past the revenant fights in Origin if the mage wasn't casting heals non stop while the party was chugging potions.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
For those who played the first one and the second one ( demo , pressrelease etc ) :

I can get both for the same price, but I can only chose one.
Do you recommend me buying and playing the first or second one?

WanderingWind

Corky said:
For those who played the first one and the second one ( demo , pressrelease etc ) :

The first, easily.

Corky said:
What, how? Because you can get DA:Ultimate for $25 or less depending on what kind of deal is going around at the time. Either way its probably a good idea to hold off on 2 because there is a chance that it might get the same treatment. If we are lucky we might be able to buy DA2 with all the addons and DLC for $25 this christmas.

Corky

WanderingWind said:
The first, easily.

Also the first package that I can get is the ultimate edition, so all DLC including awakening for like 20$. I'm leaning towards the first one unless someone can truly convince me to wait a couple of days and buy DA2 instead.

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
so much misinformation about a game. Never seen anything like it. Can we get a secon OT once the game is launched sifting your 30+ pages of hate and speculation will be a real chore.

Look for Evilore's other posts within the thread. then maybe you'll understand his intention with the OT.

Corky

Lostconfused said:
What, how?

There's an RPG sale on D2D right now, 20% off all rpgs if you enter "monster" at the checkout.

DA ultimate is around 15£ and DA2 is like 20£ or so including all the discounts, so not the exact same price but in the same ballpark.

WanderingWind

Corky said:
Also the first package that I can get is the ultimate edition, so all DLC including awakening for like 20$. I'm leaning towards the first one unless someone can truly convince me to wait a couple of days and buy DA2 instead.

Well, regardless of whether you like the massive changes from the first game to the second, it's a fact that the second game builds pretty heavily from the first. So, play Orgins now, the DA2 somewhere down the line.

Corky said:
There's an RPG sale on D2D right now, 20% off all rpgs if you enter "monster" at the checkout.

DA ultimate is around 15£ and DA2 is like 20£ or so including all the discounts, so not the exact same price but in the same ballpark.

Slick.

Corky

kai3345 said:
lol direct2drive RPG sale doesnt cover Fallout 3.

sale fail

wierd, because when I browsed through their "rpg"-list Fallout 3 was one of the games.

Top Bottom