• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

endaround

Neo Member
chris-013 said:
I didn't watch the stream but I'm sure it's the new backup system.
Is it backup where if you eliminate a certain enemy in time you get no back up or is it just waves where after you kill X of wave 1 wave 2 shows up?

Leucrota

DevelopmentArrested said:
It kind of blows that you cant change companions armor

Yea, this doesn't make any sense since there was not much great armour to change them into in DAO, so you spent little time doing that.

They should have actually added good loot...

Umm. Could they be taking out armor because they don't know how to handle the jump from one time to another in the game? I mean the game is supposed to take over a decade, so many they were having continuity issues with armor and stuff.

soldat7

I wonder if I'm better off running the DX9 version of the game or picking it up on one of the consoles. The demo didn't seem to tax my system at all on the max DX9 settings...I just hate knowing that it could look better...

Tokubetsu

PatMcAtee said:
Yea, this doesn't make any sense since there was not much great armour to change them into in DAO, so you spent little time doing that.

Umm. Could they be taking out armor because they don't know how to handle the jump from one time to another in the game? I mean the game is supposed to take over a decade, so many they were having continuity issues with armor and stuff.

I just want to have decent rogue/light armor now. That's all I'm asking for. Well, that and more than two of them.

Moofers

I like a little romance with my role-playing. Any word on wether you can give gifts and stuff to influence your party members' opinions of you? Part of the fun of DA1 for me was romancing Morrigan, but then discovering that Leliana was a much cooler chick before proceeding to break it off with Morrigan and get with Leliana. It made for some drama within the party which was a nice oasis between dungeons and I couldn't think of any other game that offered that.

JambiBum

~Kinggi~ said:
There is something seriously bothering me about the run animation of your main character. Looks strange as heck.
I thought I was the only one. It's almost like a penguin sprinting.

Weirdos like me must know which party members are romance-able, so that I'm not a jerk to them (possibly applies outside of Dragon Age 2 as well). Has this been figured out yet?

Durante

soldat7 said:
I wonder if I'm better off running the DX9 version of the game or picking it up on one of the consoles. The demo didn't seem to tax my system at all on the max DX9 settings...I just hate knowing that it could look better...
If you hate knowing that it could look better, how could you even consider getting the console version? Even with DX9 the PC version will still look significantly better.

RS4-

kai3345 said:
I bet you'll only be able to talk to your companions one on one in their "homes"

Yeah, for quest based stuff it's only in designated areas for the most part. Any other time it's just the usual banter.

soldat7

Durante said:
If you hate knowing that it could look better, how could you even consider getting the console version? Even with DX9 the PC version will still look significantly better.

Good to know. PC it is then.

endaround

Neo Member
PatMcAtee said:

There was a lot of good armor in DA:O you just had to make it or go out of your way to get it.

That said, it was removed for simplification like in Mass Effect. I was hoping this did mean no more armor clipping since everything was set, but there is immediate armor clipping in the video cut-scenes. There really is no excuse for that.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
meltingparappa said:
Weirdos like me must know which party members are romance-able, so that I'm not a jerk to them (possibly applies outside of Dragon Age 2 as well). Has this been figured out yet?
Yes indeed. Possibilities so far are:
Isabela, Merrill, Anders, Fenris and Sebastian. Only Isabela, Merrill and Sebastian are same-sex so far.

kai3345

Banned
RS4- said:
Yeah, for quest based stuff it's only in designated areas for the most part. Any other time it's just the usual banter.
God damn it.

I loved just being able to chat it up with your party at anytime in Origins

Vamphuntr

Thnikkaman said:
Yes indeed. Possibilities so far are:
Isabela, Merrill, Anders, Fenris and Sebastian. Only Isabela, Merrill and Sebastian are same-sex so far.

I think they are
all bi. In one stream Anders' quest was related to his ex boyfriend

Pooya

So I take it PC version doesn't support 360 pad just like the demo, right? I tried the console demo today and it actually feels better with a pad than k/m unlike Origins.

Kyoufu

The game looks like a complete cakewalk on the stream so far. :/

The guy is just spamming basic attack to kill stuff. :/ :/

~Kinggi~

Banned
Kyoufu said:

he is playing on Normal right now. There are 2 harder difficulties i think.

Mrbob

zoner said:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6346703/1

I think I'm about done with EA's PC game division. It's obvious how much they don't really care about PC, not shipping everything at once and claiming to patch it in later.

I'm not happy with some of the direction of Dragon Age 2 but isn't this more of a petty complaint? If Bioware has the patch up on Monday it is a day before the release of the game on Tuesday. I agree it would be better to be on the disc but these are pressed in advance. Better to be a day one download than nothing at all.

Salaadin

zoner said:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6346703/1

I think I'm about done with EA's PC game division. It's obvious how much they don't really care about PC, not shipping everything at once and claiming to patch it in later.

He says he thinks itll be up on Monday. The game isnt officially out until Tuesday. I dont see what the big deal with that is.

Now if they dont release it monday and leave PC users waiting, then there is reason to be upset.

Durante

Kyoufu said:

Having played the demo on Nightmare, I can tell you that it's certainly not a cakewalk. I never died but I had to use most of my potions and in the larger battles pause after every action and manually control my whole party's positioning / skills.

All of which would have worked much better from isometric of course.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mrbob said:
I'm not happy with some of the direction of Dragon Age 2 but isn't this more of a petty complaint? If Bioware has the patch up on Monday it is a day before the release of the game on Tuesday. I agree it would be better to be on the disc but these are pressed in advance. Better to be a day one download than nothing at all.
But why are they being pressed in advance before something that should be mandatory is on it? It would be similar to shipping a PC game with no AA and claiming to patch it in later. This is after EA said no DS 2 DLC for PC AND the whole Crysis 2 debacle. EA seems to think it's ok for them to patch everything in later.

And when Dragon Age 1 came out, Bioware social was down and no one could download any of the bonus stuff. I bet the same thing happens here.

Kyoufu said:

I'm more angry that the guy keeps forgetting his attacks have been recharged for half a minute.

zoner said:
But why are they being pressed in advance before something that should be mandatory is on it? It would be similar to shipping a PC game with no AA and claiming to patch it in later.
Not really. A lot of games ship without proper AA support, but a lot of the time its not a problem because you can force it through video card drivers.

kai3345

Banned
Ah glad they finally added a "Compare To" option in shops. That was always a pain that I had to switch which character talked to the shopkeeper to compare gear

kai3345

Banned
aw shii didn't see that one coming

Edit: Wow at the diction of those Letters to Hawke lol

"Go hit up Herbert in the market district"

aegies

zoner said:
But why are they being pressed in advance before something that should be mandatory is on it? It would be similar to shipping a PC game with no AA and claiming to patch it in later. This is after EA said no DS 2 DLC for PC AND the whole Crysis 2 debacle. EA seems to think it's ok for them to patch everything in later.

And when Dragon Age 1 came out, Bioware social was down and no one could download any of the bonus stuff. I bet the same thing happens here.

The high res textures are on the retail disc. Or at least, they're in my review disc:

highrestextures.jpg

And the game looks significantly better in DX11 than DX9.

Salaadin

aegies said:
The high res textures are on the retail disc. Or at least, they're in my review disc:

What about in game? The demo also lets you pick Very High from the config screen but Im pretty sure theyre only listed as High in game.

EDIT: Yeah, pics:

Config tool:
wrarue.jpg

In game:
5zodup.png

Pooya

aegies said:

Does it support 360 gamepad? D:

That config utility screenshot reminds me that there never has, nor ever will be a console game that is merciful enough to let you auto-skip the intro movies.

Jerk

Banned
Tokkun Vindicated?

I am really liking what I see.

Though I suppose that is not hard; I did not like Origins that much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
aegies said:

highrestextures.jpg

So you did notice a difference in texture quality? Maybe it's a review versus retail thing. Or the Bioware guy was told differently.

Squire

Banned
Kyoufu said:

One of the devs said more strategic players will want to go right in to Hard mode. It's like how people who are good at Halo are meant to start on Heroic.

Top Bottom