• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

shinobi602 said:
So is it impossible for someone (like me) to love a game like Neverwinter Nights as well as DA:O and love what Bioware has done with DA2?

A complete lack of consistency or ability to determine quality of games would not shock me in the least. If it was otherwise I would be shocked.

Squire

Banned
cartman414 said:
Only because evidently you weren't around since the Baldur's Gate days.

Forget Baldur's Gate. Someone intelligently and logically states why a lot of us do think DA2 looks great and they're a problem? The only problem here is you.

HeadlessRoland said:
A complete lack of consistency or ability to determine quality of games would not shock me in the least. If it was otherwise I would be shocked.

No, I just play games to have enjoy myself and my time, and I had fun playing DA2. Really as simple as that :)

Trickster

shinobi602 said:
So is it impossible for someone (like me) to love a game like Neverwinter Nights as well as DA:O and love what Bioware has done with DA2?

Not at all, saying that's impossible is like saying a person can't like both Call of Duty and Halo. The problem I think a lot of people have with DA2 is that it's simply been changed too much for their taste, when compared to DA:O. Had this been a new, seperate rpg IP, there would not be any people complaining.

To draw an analogy, imagine how fans of Halo would feel if Bungie announced a new Halo game, and then revealed that they had changed the gameplay from the very iconic Halo gameplay that people have come to love, into something much more like the gameplay of a CoD game. People would be pissed, not necessarily because they hate the gameplay in CoD games, but because when they play a Halo game, they want it to feel and play like a Halo when.

The exact same thing holds true for Dragon Age. They changed the game too much, and it's pissing off a lot of DA:O fans.

hamchan

Looks like there are three dialog choices, Good, Funny Asshole and Angry Asshole.

I'm going to pick funny asshole everytime.

Also am I seeing users in this thread getting attacked for even saying they like Dragon Age 2? Really?

Lunchbox said:
is there a online pass or something of that nature like most EA games that blocks content?
Yes the Black Emporium. You get some extra stuff that isn't worth much, a dog and the ability to change the appearance of the main character in the middle of the game. This time arround you don't get anything significant like a DLC character, you needed to pre order the "signature" edition to get that one for free.

hamchan said:
Looks like there are three dialog choices, Good, Funny Asshole and Angry Asshole.

I'm going to pick funny asshole everytime.

Also am I seeing users in this thread getting attacked for even saying they like Dragon Age 2? Really?

I've been playing and I starting out doing funny asshole, but now I've just been doing pretty much good. Do these have any effect on storyline other than getting different dialogue? There are also mental choices in some scenes where you have a member of your party talk to the other person and one where you name drop you know someone. What's up with the gayness in this game? I went into a bordello and paid to get with what I thought was a girl, but all of the choices available were guys. Then I get another guy to join my party by saying how sexy he is.

Trickster said:
Not at all, saying that's impossible is like saying a person can't like both Call of Duty and Halo. The problem I think a lot of people have with DA2 is that it's simply been changed too much for their taste, when compared to DA:O. Had this been a new, seperate rpg IP, there would not be any people complaining.

To draw an analogy, imagine how fans of Halo would feel if Bungie announced a new Halo game, and then revealed that they had changed the gameplay from the very iconic Halo gameplay that people have come to love, into something much more like the gameplay of a CoD game. People would be pissed, not necessarily because they hate the gameplay in CoD games, but because when they play a Halo game, they want it to feel and play like a Halo when.

The exact same thing holds true for Dragon Age. They changed the game too much, and it's pissing off a lot of DA:O fans.

I completely understand all of it and more than respect it. The problem I have is when people seemingly look down upon others who themselves are fans of, say DA:O in this example, and still love DA2. They treat them or look at them as if they're not really fans or as if they're not "true" RPG fans. Like something's wrong with them or their outlook on games or they don't have good taste in games, like good taste itself is something you can quantify or measure.

Or others who say we don't know what quality is or something. I mean really? Who are you to say what is and isn't good quality to others?

Insulting would be a strong word to use, since they're just games, but it's irritating at least....

Trickster

Kinspiracy said:
Are gamers by and large that fragile?

It surprises you that when people play a game they really like, they want the sequel to play more or less like the game they like? really?

Trickster said:
It surprises you that when people play a game they really like, they want the sequel to play more or less like the game they like? really?

It surprises me that any amount of change, significant or insignificant, would send a huge swatch of gamers into an infantile tizzy. The changes from ME1 to ME2 were rather significant. I embraced the changes while still missing some of the old stuff. None of it made me stamp my feet and refuse to buy a series that had rewarded me in the past. Really.

Lostconfused said:
Yes the Black Emporium. You get some extra stuff that isn't worth much, a dog and the ability to change the appearance of the main character in the middle of the game. This time arround you don't get anything significant like a DLC character, you needed to pre order the "signature" edition to get that one for free.

This is the kind of behavior that more often than not leads me to lift my middle finger to the game maker and distributor, wait 6-12 months, and then buy their game for 15-19 bucks. Used if possible so they see no money from it. It's probably not Bioware's fault. I'm sure EA has a company-wide edict stating everyone needs to hold back content and hide it behind the online pass.

Trickster

Kinspiracy said:
It surprises me that any amount of change, significant or insignificant, would send a huge swatch of gamers into an infantile tizzy. The changes from ME1 to ME2 were rather significant. I embraced the changes while still missing some of the old stuff. None of it made me stamp my feet and refuse to buy a series that had rewarded me in the past. Really.

I'll agree that some people are overeacting to the changes, especially those that lash out and flame people that say they like DA2. But man, as a huge fan of DA:O, I can't help but be extremely dissapointed and annoyed at some of the stuff I've seen in DA2 so far.

Trickster said:
I'll agree that some people are overeacting to the changes, especially those that lash out and flame people that say they like DA2. But man, as a huge fan of DA:O, I can't help but be extremely dissapointed and annoyed at some of the stuff I've seen in DA2 so far.

I'm annoyed by several things myself, but basically all those things are going to do are change how I play certain aspects of the game. I'll adapt. I may not be 100 percent happy, but ultimately it's all about how the game plays in its entirety than it is about how faithful it is to a past iteration. For me anyway.

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't like Neverwinter Nights at all.

Are you talking about Neverwinter Nights the game, or Neverwinter Nights the toolset?

I didn't care for the game much either, but the toolset lead me wasting hundreds of hours making shit and playing on persistent world servers.

Inorigo said:
Forget Baldur's Gate. Someone intelligently and logically states why a lot of us do think DA2 looks great and they're a problem? The only problem here is you.

Whoa, whoa, back up.

It's not simply that he's stating why he thinks DA2 is great, it's that he's stating that the tactical style of RPG a la Baldur's Gate is passe to boot. Which is complete bull, and an insult to those of us who have been longtime fans who LIKED that type of game.

Gvaz

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Are you talking about Neverwinter Nights the game, or Neverwinter Nights the toolset?

I didn't care for the game much either, but the toolset lead me wasting hundreds of hours making shit and playing on persistent world servers.

I didn't play online at all, but the game/story was pretty hard/awful I thought as a kid. I just was really into making things with the toolset cause holy jesus that was so much fun.

Trickster said:

Or heck, the first sequels to Zelda and Super Mario Bros. Those really split a lot of fans. Though that argument of course is related simply to reaction to change, rather than whether the changes worked out for the best.

Gvaz said:
I didn't play online at all, but the game/story was pretty hard/awful I thought as a kid. I just was really into making things with the toolset cause holy jesus that was so much fun.

I absolutely adored the server I played on. With 150 players on a server, the game felt like an MMO where you can play with all of your friends and meet new people when you're out exploring, yet didn't have any of the bullshit that comes with MMOs. Fast travel, game design by committee, a currency that didn't take itself too seriously. But there was still the challenge of making the perfect build and all the awesome items were only droppable by completing the most difficult of tasks. The added GM mechanic meant for a unique experience every time you logged on.

I'm full of nostalgies. :(

Durante

Kinspiracy said:
I'm annoyed by several things myself, but basically all those things are going to do are change how I play certain aspects of the game. I'll adapt. I may not be 100 percent happy, but ultimately it's all about how the game plays in its entirety than it is about how faithful it is to a past iteration. For me anyway.
The reason people wanted Dragon Age 2 in particular to remain faithful to the direction set by its predecessor is because there isn't a single other series/title left in that sub-genre. Imagine if there were no more FPS, or whatever, and the sequel to the one series that was set to bring back the genre is turned into an RTS.

In any case, I'm positive DA2 will still be infinitely better than the NWN1 OC.

kai3345

Banned
Durante said:
The reason people wanted Dragon Age 2 in particular to remain faithful to the direction set by its predecessor is because there isn't a single other series/title left in that sub-genre. Imagine if there were no more FPS, or whatever, and the sequel to the one series that was set to bring back the genre is turned into an RTS.

anything is better than that

Durante said:

This, a million times, for goodness sakes.

DA2 may still turn out to be quite good, but irrespective of that, I'm not pleased with the direction they're taking here.

If they wanted to give players something more streamlined, couldn't they do it via a spinoff? Imagine if Dead Space: Extraction was Dead Space 2 instead.

Kinspiracy said:

I find your endlessly stream of spamming rationalizations to be strange for someone who is at peace. I mean you even go back and edit posts once they have been refuted as nonsense. These do not seem to be the actions of an accepting gamer.

How many times do the reasons swarms of people are unhappy need to be explained?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I wonder why they felt compelled to drastically reduce the appeal of the interface and menu systems from DAO. In comparison between the two, everything about DA 2 is significantly worse and less attractive than what the first game had. They should have just copied the first game instead of making everything so bland looking.

X-Frame

~Kinggi~ said:
I wonder why they felt compelled to drastically reduce the appeal of the interface and menu systems from DAO. In comparison between the two, everything about DA 2 is significantly worse and less attractive than what the first game had. They should have just copied the first game instead of making everything so bland looking.

This I do agree with. The UI and HUD of Origins had an awesome feel and look to it - whereas in DA2 it couldn't get more plain and bland.

Samara

Wow, I needed the laugh OP. But Im pretty sure Ill miss my copy all week since I have work/college. Yeah yeah, I know I won't bring the tread down, lucky bastards--

HeadlessRoland said:
I find your endlessly stream of spamming rationalizations to be strange for someone who is at peace. I mean you even go back and edit posts once they have been refuted as nonsense. These do not seem to be the actions of an accepting gamer.

How many times do the reasons swarms of people are unhappy need to be explained?

I edit to either add text or fix spelling/grammar, not to remove "nonsense" . If you're truly that unhappy with the game, why fixate on it and drive yourself nuts? What's the point other than to stamp your feet and whine about something you literally have no chance of ever changing other than to not buy it and perhaps send a small message to the developers that you're unhappy with the changes? One thing that's been very clear since Bioware started revealing details about the game is that they saw more money to be made by attracting new players than they risked losing by alienating fans of Origins. I'm very accepting of their changes. I think they're for the betterment of the console versions, which fortunately benefits me.

Trickster

Kinspiracy said:
I edit to either add text or fix spelling/grammar, not to remove "nonsense" . If you're truly that unhappy with the game, why fixate on it and drive yourself nuts? What's the point other than to stamp your feet and whine about something you literally have no chance of ever changing other than to not buy it and perhaps send a small message to the developers that you're unhappy with the changes? One thing that's been very clear since Bioware started revealing details about the game is that they saw more money to be made by attracting new players than they risked losing by alienating fans of Origins. I'm very accepting of their changes. I think they're for the betterment of the console versions, which fortunately benefits me.

People writing about what they don't like about a game is a big part of what can help developers make changes for the better in future games they make.

Trickster said:
People writing about what they don't like about a game is a big part of what can help developers make changes for the better in future games they make.

Well then I hope he's writing it also on the official forum at bioware where the devs are posting. Speaking of which, did anyone tune in to the developer interview session today? I forgot all about it. I had intended to try and ask about the auto-attacking on the console version and why some reviewers say it has it, but people with the game claim it doesn't. Seems like a pretty big disconnect.

Squire

Banned
Kinspiracy said:
Well then I hope he's writing it also on the official forum at bioware where the devs are posting. Speaking of which, did anyone tune in to the developer interview session today? I forgot all about it. I had intended to try and ask about the auto-attacking on the console version and why some reviewers say it has it, but people with the game claim it doesn't. Seems like a pretty big disconnect.

I saw it. They played a bit of the first DLC and answered some questions and one of them was about auto-attack (Unfortunately, the answer the designer gave was pretty confusing and I can't remember it).

Personally, I believe reviewers and designers when they say it's in rather than the testimony of randoms who got the game before they're even supposed to. No offense. We'll all be able to find out for ourselves next week.

Zeal

Banned
i honestly hate this game. i'm not going to even bother typing out spoiler tags, because there's quite simply jack shit to spoil. i have been walking around inside the same city for almost 10 hours with the same repetitive dungeons (being slightly changed up every now and then) for boring, fetch-for-me missions. sure, you'll occasionally step out of the city to go on another "find X generic character" missions, but you always find yourself right back in the same gigantic, ugly as hell clusterfuck of a city with 100 repeatable textures.

as for the plot, it lacks any type of coherent flow or sense of adventure that was presented so well in DO:A. you're simply trying to raise enough money to do X, or find person X, or break up a fight to make friends/enemies with X. this shit is just bland.

and it's going back.

Vamphuntr

Inorigo said:
I saw it. They played a bit of the first DLC and answered some questions and one of them was about auto-attack (Unfortunately, the answer the designer gave was pretty confusing and I can't remember it).

Personally, I believe reviewers and designers when they say it's in rather than the testimony of randoms who got the game before they're even supposed to. No offense. We'll all be able to find out for ourselves next week.

Nice change of stance. First it was "Don't worry it's in" then it was" So what? it's not there DEAL WITH IT lulz it's no big deal" and now it's back to "Don't worry it's in". One gaffer made three youtube videos for us and was nice enough to try what we told him. I wouldn't call that a random. He even posted a picture of his copy. At this point a patch seems the only option.

The people on the Bioware forums have made mistakes before. For instance, It took them forever to acknowledge the dex bug in the console version of DAO.

Zeal said:
as for the plot, it lacks any type of coherent flow or sense of adventure that was presented so well in DO:A. you're simply trying to raise enough money to do X, or find person X, or break up a fight to make friends/enemies with X. this shit is just bland.

That was one of the best part of Baldur's Gate II. Paying the fee for saving Imoen made half of the game a free roaming experience.

Squire

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Nice change of stance. First it was "Don't worry it's in" then it was" So what? it's not there DEAL WITH IT lulz it's no big deal" and now it's back to "Don't worry it's in". One gaffer made three youtube videos for us and was nice enough to try what we told him. I wouldn't call that a random. He even posted a picture of his copy. At this point a patch seems the only option.

I'm not allowed to change my stance as the situation develops?

The only possibly explanation I can think of for reviewers to say they had a menu option for auto-attacking is that it was part of a download, and perhaps that patch won't hit the retail versions until this Tuesday. But if that was the case, then why are the devs at Bioware still acting clueless about it? If they read any forums, including their own, they'd know this was an issue many fans wanted clarification on, and it seems like it would be really simple to say one way or another if its in the game or not.

Kinspiracy said:
The only possibly explanation I can think of for reviewers to say they had a menu option for auto-attacking is that it was part of a download, and perhaps that patch won't hit the retail versions until this Tuesday. But if that was the case, then why are the devs at Bioware still acting clueless about it? If they read any forums, including their own, they'd know this was an issue many fans wanted clarification on, and it seems like it would be really simple to say one way or another if its in the game or not.

Most people seem to think that auto attack can be used by targeting someone with a radial menu and pressing A. Your character will auto attack until that enemy is dead, and then just stand there, requiring you to target another enemy and press A again. It's not what it was advertised to be, and it's not what we wanted, but it's in there enough for them to be able to say "we gave you what you wanted". It's bullshit, especially since they're making a lot of the enemies mere speed bumps, so you'll be forced to go to the radial menu to auto attack a lot.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zeal said:
i honestly hate this game. i'm not going to even bother typing out spoiler tags, because there's quite simply jack shit to spoil. i have been walking around inside the same city for almost 10 hours with the same repetitive dungeons (being slightly changed up every now and then) for boring, fetch-for-me missions. sure, you'll occasionally step out of the city to go on another "find X generic character" missions, but you always find yourself right back in the same gigantic, ugly as hell clusterfuck of a city with 100 repeatable textures.

and it's going back.

So, what you're telling me is that this isn't the best RPG of the decade?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
pseudocaesar said:
Why wouldnt they be, this is a specific game thread on a gaming forum. What did you expect.

For them to remember that it's a video game.

Top Bottom