• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Punchy4486 said:
Most people seem to think that auto attack can be used by targeting someone with a radial menu and pressing A. Your character will auto attack until that enemy is dead, and then just stand there, requiring you to target another enemy and press A again. It's not what it was advertised to be, and it's not what we wanted, but it's in there enough for them to be able to say "we gave you what you wanted". It's bullshit, especially since they're making a lot of the enemies mere speed bumps, so you'll be forced to go to the radial menu to auto attack a lot.

That is what one of the devs said the radial targeting system was for (bring up radial, target an enemy and hit 'A' and every single party member will immediately attack it) but a guy from this forum last night posted 3 videos in which he searched for the option in the radial menu, the regular menu, and then using the method you described and none of it worked. So we have a couple reviewers saying they saw it as a menu option, a developer saying it's an obscure radial menu option (obscure because there's no tool tip or guide telling you that pointing the menu at an enemy and hitting A will activate group auto-attack), and a few people that bought the game early that state nothing works. This confusion exists here, on Bioware's own forum, and on a few other places I visit. Yet no real confirmation either way from the devs.

antonz

ProtoCents said:
Infinite XP / gold glitch found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejDf8_7lkw

How do clowns like this get the game early and here I am waiting for Tuesday to roll around like a sucker?
They get it from torrent sites. Its ironic in a way all the bitching about piracy on PC but the console versions always leak first and have none of the protections PC does like the inability to activate the game til the 8th.

PC and Console have leaked but PC cant be used til cracked which likely wont happen until after launch day due to the server that activates the game meanwhile console gamers are playing the game like crazy who pirate outside of legit reviewers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I know this has most likely been asked a ton, but I have not seen it in the past few pages, when is the review embargo? I heard Tuesday night tossed around here, was that confirmed?

Zeal said:
i honestly hate this game. i'm not going to even bother typing out spoiler tags, because there's quite simply jack shit to spoil. i have been walking around inside the same city for almost 10 hours with the same repetitive dungeons (being slightly changed up every now and then) for boring, fetch-for-me missions. sure, you'll occasionally step out of the city to go on another "find X generic character" missions, but you always find yourself right back in the same gigantic, ugly as hell clusterfuck of a city with 100 repeatable textures.

as for the plot, it lacks any type of coherent flow or sense of adventure that was presented so well in DO:A. you're simply trying to raise enough money to do X, or find person X, or break up a fight to make friends/enemies with X. this shit is just bland.

and it's going back.
I agree with you completely on the city and reptetive as FUCK caves. Yet I cant stop playing.

P.S. Music is awesome. And all DLC that comes with Signature Edition is pretty rad.

antonz said:
They get it from torrent sites. Its ironic in a way all the bitching about piracy on PC but the console versions always leak first and have none of the protections PC does like the inability to activate the game til the 8th.

PC and Console have leaked but PC cant be used til cracked which likely wont happen until after launch day due to the server that activates the game meanwhile console gamers are playing the game like crazy who pirate outside of legit reviewers.

Stores break street date sometimes....

jtrov

Alright, so I've logged about 14 hours into the game and I'm enjoying it, but there are definitely some things that feel both rough around the edges, or make the game feel rushed. For starters, most of the areas outside of Kirkwall have a copy and paste look, much like the first Mass Effect. This is actually a shame, because some of the side-quests have really cool premises. The other being enemy design, which up to this point seems very limited. Although the
Quanari
do have an awesome design.

Now in these 14 hours I feel like I haven't actually progressed the main storyline since arriving in Kirkwall, because I'm still finding new side-quests. As for the side-quests there seems to be a ton of them, all with various types of interactions.

Types of ways to obtain side-quests up to this point:
At the Hanged Man (Tavern / Inn) you can speak to the bartender for whats the word on the street. After you get a residence and earning renown around Kirkwall, people will mail you requests, or old employers will relay jobs if you're interested. Sometimes bounties or notes are posted on the walls of Kirkwall for other optional quests, a long with companion quests. Varric will also inform you of some quests, and then others are just by interacting with an NPC in town, or picking up an item during other quests.

The game also looks great visually, but it's just a shame that most of the dungeons look exactly the same. However, this could be due to the fact the game spans 10 years, which means both Kirkwall and the outskirts could change in look afterwards. Although it did damper some pretty unique side-quests, due to the dungeon looking exactly like the previous dungeon I was in a quest ago.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot more than DA:O, and playing on Hard I'm finding it a lot more difficult than the first as well. My only complaints so far are the lack in both level and enemy design. I haven't really done much in the main story, but the side-quests have been very enjoyable and entertaining so far. It's been really tough to put this game down.

Chesskid1

Banned
antonz said:
Its ironic in a way all the bitching about piracy on PC but the console versions always leak first and have none of the protections PC does like the inability to activate the game til the 8th.

sorry for the offtopicness, but i had to address this wrong.

console version of games will still sell millions in a few days (black ops!), PC version won't, that's the problem, so your point doesn't really matter. it's the extent of the piracy that matters, not the date or whatever.

kai3345

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
For them to remember that it's a video game.
A video game that I'm spending 60 dollars on as well as ~30 hours of my time with.

So it damn well better fucking be good if I'm investing that much time and money into a video game

vocab

Chesskid1 said:
console version of games will still sell millions in a few days (black ops!), PC version won't, so your point doesn't really matter. it's the extent of the piracy that matters, not the date or whatever.

DA selling COD numbers in a few days? Ya you are on some drugs.

PC Version of DA sold over a million. Now why don't you shut your mouth.

Chesskid1

Banned
vocab said:
DA selling COD numbers in a few days? Ya you are some drugs.

reading comprehension failure :( i never said anything like that. whatever though, not worth arguin over and gettin rude :)

jtrov

DevelopmentArrested said:
I agree with you completely on the city and reptetive as FUCK caves. Yet I cant stop playing.

P.S. Music is awesome. And all DLC that comes with Signature Edition is pretty rad.

Stores break street date sometimes....

Yeah the repetitiveness of the dungeon design really disappointed me too, but I'm actually really enjoying the city itself. While it doesn't feel as adventurous, I do appreciate how Kirkwall actually feels like home, and you're trying to now fit in with the rules of their land. The game feels more I'm living in Kirkwall, and trying to make a living, compared to venturing off on some quest. I'm really interested to see where it goes from there.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
fizzelopeguss said:
Even with all the biowhores in the media and EA's marketing bux falling from the sky?
Ripping on DA2 will be a good means of establishing credible "non-bias" before they slobber all over ME3 at the end of the year.

Gvaz

Banned
K.Sabot said:
Review embargos usually end on the sunday before the tuesday the game is released.

Can someone explain to me the point of a review embargo to me?

Isn't that just reserved for shitty games, like what happened with APB?

Zeal

Banned
I also predit within the 7.5 range. A very fair score for a game with a great premise but horrible execution. There's too many bonheaded flaws and displays of sheer lazyness at work.

kai3345

Banned
Gvaz said:

Pretty much. If devs think a game is going to get bad scores, they put and embargo on it so they can still get those day 1 sales after its too late to cancel your pre order

kai3345 said:
Pretty much. If devs think a game is going to get bad scores, they put and embargo on it so they can still get those day 1 sales after its too late to cancel your pre order

Lol, there have been a ton of high profile AAA games that had embargoes on them...hell, the Halo games had embargoes on them.

Kikujiro

vocab said:
DA selling COD numbers in a few days? Ya you are on some drugs.

I think you're the one on drugs, since you can't even read what he typed. Asshole.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
kai3345 said:
A video game that I'm spending 60 dollars on as well as ~30 hours of my time with.

So it damn well better fucking be good if I'm investing that much time and money into a video game

Nobody is at fault for that but yourself. Don't spend money on a game unless you are sure you will be thoroughly entertained. There really is no reason to act so serious about a game, is all I'm saying.

I'm not going to add onto this mess of a thread anymore. I probably won't be picking up the game right away, as my 6950 is getting RMA'd, so I'll have plenty of time to see if it's worth picking up or not.

Zeal said:
i honestly hate this game. i'm not going to even bother typing out spoiler tags, because there's quite simply jack shit to spoil. i have been walking around inside the same city for almost 10 hours with the same repetitive dungeons (being slightly changed up every now and then) for boring, fetch-for-me missions. sure, you'll occasionally step out of the city to go on another "find X generic character" missions, but you always find yourself right back in the same gigantic, ugly as hell clusterfuck of a city with 100 repeatable textures.

That doesn´t sound good at all. I can deal with the graphical style, the dialogue wheel, the loss of the strategic view etc if the actual story and mission design feel inspired. This really doesn´t sound like that.

The game seems solid enough, but I have so many games to play already that I want something that´s more than just solid.

K.Sabot

shinobi602 said:
Lol, there have been a ton of high profile AAA games that had embargoes on them...hell, the Halo games had embargoes on them.
I distinctly remember having a flood of Halo 3 reviews the Sunday before release. I think he's speaking of them having embargoes up to the day of sales.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
K.Sabot said:
I distinctly remember having a flood of Halo 3 reviews the Sunday before release. I think he's speaking of them having embargoes up to the day of sales.

That's still something really common, I recall Bulletstorm just doing this.

Darklord

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Da2 embargo ends Tuesday. I predict 7.5's

I predict 8's and 9's and will praise it for using Mass Effect 2's dialog style. Even though I'm completely against the changes.

Gvaz said:

It's in place to secure some sort of quality for reviews. I only just recieved my review copy of DA2 this friday, and if there weren't an embargo people would have been posting reviews as quickly as possible, to get those magical first wave of clicks.

By having an embargo you ensure that doesn't happen, at that people don't post shitty reviews based on two hours of gameplay just to be "first" on the webs.

Or if you're Take Two, you give the review copies two days before the review is due, ensuring people ONLY review the first part of the game.

And we all know how that turned out.

Wolves Evolve said:
Or if you're Take Two, you give the review copies two days before the review is due, ensuring people ONLY review the first part of the game.

And we all know how that turned out.

Depends on how far you're up the food chain. The big places goes to the hotel events, while the lower sites gets retail a few days or by the release date. It might be entirely different in the US of course, but in general here in my country, few websites publish on release or before release of games. Most stuff comes a week or so after launch.

hitoshi

Vinterbird said:
Depends on how far you're up the food chain. The big places goes to the hotel events, while the lower sites gets retail a few days or by the release date. It might be entirely different in the US of course, but in general here in my country, few websites publish on release or before release of games. Most stuff comes a week or so after launch.

EA, Sony and Ubisoft here in Central-Europe are usually sending (debug-machine compatible, Sony prefers Green Discs) review copies weeks before the actual release.

I wouldn't worry about the embargo of DA2: strangers things happened. For example: BGE HD was embargoed until 18:00 on the day of the release - 8 hours (!) after the game was released to the public, despite the fact that the game was good. No "you can't publish reviews if it's below 9" policy here from what i've experienced.

Spoit

~Kinggi~ said:
I wonder why they felt compelled to drastically reduce the appeal of the interface and menu systems from DAO. In comparison between the two, everything about DA 2 is significantly worse and less attractive than what the first game had. They should have just copied the first game instead of making everything so bland looking.
Consoles.

What other reason would they halve the space of the already tiny (40x40?) icons by making them diamonds, which work well with the 3 button console interface, rather than the square iconbar?

DaBuddaDa

I want to make sure everyone understands that it's Bioware and this game, no matter the quality, is going to get nothing but 8s 9s and 10s across the board and probably end up right where the first one sits on metacritic.

DaBuddaDa said:
I want to make sure everyone understands that it's Bioware and this game, no matter the quality, is going to get nothing but 8s 9s and 10s across the board and probably end up right where the first one sits on metacritic.

Thus is what scares me. Did DA:O have this kind of player feedback right before launch? I'm definitely going to wait on some more GAF feedback before getting this one, no matter how much I loved the first one.

Durante

DigitalDevil said:
Thus is what scares me. Did DA:O have this kind of player feedback right before launch? I'm definitely going to wait on some more GAF feedback before getting this one, no matter how much I loved the first one.
Opinion about DA:O turned around completely once we got the first actual gameplay footage that wasn't filtered through EA marketing.
The problem is that this time around the marketing and and actual reality seem to be much closer.

hamchan

antonz said:

And yet the PC version will still end up many times more pirated than the console versions. That's what developers are bitching about, not which version leaked first.

Egamer

I was wondering about the rumors. You can't do them until Varric knows more of course, but do you have to have Varric in your party all the time in order to get more leads of the rumors?

Truant

hamchan said:
And yet the PC version will still end up many times more pirated than the console versions. That's what developers are bitching about, not which version leaked first.

A large percentage of piraters do so because it's the fastest way to get the game. If they could do so by go to the store and buy it, they would.

Truant said:
A large percentage of piraters do so because it's the fastest way to get the game. If they could do so by go to the store and buy it, they would.

Yeah, that is why so much of the most rational piracy prevention, like Steam unlocks, tries to stop zero day piracy. People who would buy the game on day one pirating instead is just about the worst case for developers.

Nemesis_

Okay, so I'm thinking of playing through DAO again.

But do you guys know if there is anything that carries through, ala Mass Effect 2?

If so, should I be playing through Origins and Awakening before it releases here locally on Thursday? Or is there really no point?

I've finished Origins and Awakening before, as well as all the DLCs, but I'm not sure if they will actually carry anything over. =/

Top Bottom